• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK, the real problem is that the save data is attached to the download rather than being a separate file, so if you ever want to erase it from the SD card for whatever reason, you'll have to lose your file.

So technically, yes, it'll be stuck there in a way. Not sure if you can transfer it normally from one card to another.

I had FE downloaded, and after playing several hours I upgraded from the stock SD crd to a 32 GB card. All I did was copy every file from the stock card to my computer, then copied that to a brand new card (before putting it in the 3DS). Then when I popped it in the 3DS I was good to go. Didn't lose any save data.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I don't know how anyone plays this game without Kellam. He's been an essential part of my team.

Haven't used him at all outside of that one chapter where you recruit him on both playthroughs I've played. Haven't used Donny either.

Man, even as a series vet (played 6 through 11 on all difficulties) this game on hard is still ball busting. All the new recruits have shit all stats, and the defense/skill of the enemy units is huge. In the old games the triangle actually was indicitve of how a fight would go, not so much here. Swordsman vs axe user, or an axe wielder vs a lancer, doesnt help much, I might as well be ignoring it. Terrain advantadges seem hugely diminished as well.

I could easily steamroll most chapters with my key few characters (chrom, avatar, vaike, sumia) but trying to train guys like ricken, donnel, gaius etc is nearly impossible, even with pair up abusing. Am I missing something? I started a new game up on easy and just DESTROYED the first 5 chapters, it wasnt even funny. So I switched back to my hard save file

I should note that I generally refuse to use prepremotes until end game. I'm around chapter 10 on hard with a few paralogues completed. Any insight?

CSX

Excellent, thanks for the tips. :)

LOVE THIS GAME.

If you dont have beast pegaus knights, people said they used warp staff on her to move her back and give you a couple of extra turns to move up and clear the path.

But yea, i personally just blazed through with two pegasus knights paired up with their fellow husbands and saw carnage

love it when the rain and snow pauses when you activate a skill or crit. They really should keep this kind of brisk pace combat animations for future games. Add in some unique attack animations for the promoted classes and maybe some not dog shit looking magic and it would be puuuurfect.

Rescue Staff. Severa's AI is really dumb. Severa has to talk to Holland (the Enemy Villager), and she'll become a Blue Unit after that. You pretty much have to clean the road for her.

Alternatively you can grind Cordelia and Virion to ridiculously high levels so that when you retry Severa's Paralogue her stats are higher, and therefore won't require much protection.

Has anyone tried to kill Holland to see if Severa says anything?

I was going to reload my save and try it but I ended up forgetting and saving over it after completing the paralogue.

Doorman

love it when the rain and snow pauses when you activate a skill or crit. They really should keep this kind of brisk pace combat animations for future games. Add in some unique attack animations for the promoted classes and maybe some not dog shit looking magic and it would be puuuurfect.

The one that always seems to impress me is Panne with the taguel attack animations, especially when paired up with extra attackers. She jumps about the field, attacking from different directions, changing up the timing of dual strikes...seeing a pair of people circling around an opponent comes off really cool-looking and dynamic. You see it occasionally with pegasus knights too, when they cross through an enemy during attack.

I know that they've said this Fire Emblem is sort of a "culmination point," for the series, but they have enough here that I hope they at least take this engine and refine it for another 3DS Fire Emblem down the road. Set it in mars if you want, but keep the overall style (and maybe give them some feet for a change).

I know that they've said this Fire Emblem is sort of a "culmination point," for the series, but they have enough here that I hope they at least take this engine and refine it for another 3DS Fire Emblem down the road. Set it in mars if you want, but keep the overall style (and maybe give them some feet for a change).

This is the best-selling Fire Emblem in quite some time, right? Ever?

I think it's safe to assume that the series won't be undergoing any major innovations for a while then.

I had FE downloaded, and after playing several hours I upgraded from the stock SD crd to a 32 GB card. All I did was copy every file from the stock card to my computer, then copied that to a brand new card (before putting it in the 3DS). Then when I popped it in the 3DS I was good to go. Didn't lose any save data.

Oh, well glad to be proven wrong.

Esura

Banned
The one that always seems to impress me is Panne with the taguel attack animations, especially when paired up with extra attackers. She jumps about the field, attacking from different directions, changing up the timing of dual strikes...seeing a pair of people circling around an opponent comes off really cool-looking and dynamic. You see it occasionally with pegasus knights too, when they cross through an enemy during attack.

Mars?

Isn't the appeal of the FE games it's strategic perma death gameplay in high fantasy settings?

Mars?

Isn't the appeal of the FE games it's strategic perma death gameplay in high fantasy settings?

Mars was one of the initial ideas for settings for this game as reveal in the Iwata Asks.

Personally, I'm glad they didn't try and expand off the planet.

Lunar15

Mars?

The team discussed setting FE13 (now Awakening) on Mars, but quickly abandoned the idea.

Frankly, I'd be down for it, as long as it was sci-fi/fantasy, not straight sci-fi. A Space-Opera Tactics game? Yes please!

GSR

Mars was one of the initial ideas for settings for this game as reveal in the Iwata Asks.

I think we've found the setting for SMTxFE.

Also, as I recruit more and more of the child characters, I can see why people like them so much. They're starting at stats pretty close to their promoted (and sometimes second sealed) parents.

That said I didn't use Tharja, Olivia, Maribelle, or Cordelia, so that's four kids MIA in this file. Maybe after I beat the final chapter I'll go back and pair them off.

Moonlight

Banned
That said I didn't use Tharja, Olivia, Maribelle, or Cordelia, so that's four kids MIA in this file. Maybe after I beat the final chapter I'll go back and pair them off.
You are missing out on literally four of the best kid characters, though. :(

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Team Libra represent.

Man, I'm really tempted to purchase the artbook for this game. It's 4000JPY on amazon.co.jp right now and the exchange rate is good, so the temptation is strong. Anyone own it already?

Esura

Banned

Eh, depending on how they pulled it off it could of been something interesting. Maybe make it Phantasy Star IV-like with it's world and characters. But I've been starved for RPGs from Japan that is just straight up high fantasy so I would of been disappoint if it wasn't.

The team discussed setting FE13 (now Awakening) on Mars, but quickly abandoned the idea.

Frankly, I'd be down for it, as long as it was sci-fi/fantasy, not straight sci-fi. A Space-Opera Tactics game? Yes please!

Like a Star Ocean Tactics?

Then again with the way a SO game almost ignore the sci fi trappings for a good chunk of the game might as well stay high fantasy.

Team Libra represent.

Man, I'm really tempted to purchase the artbook for this game. It's 4000JPY on amazon.co.jp right now and the exchange rate is good, so the temptation is strong. Anyone own it already?

It's fantastic. The last 100 pages is the support conversations though. Hopefully Dark Horse or Udon brings it over with that part translated.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Holy shit, does Lethality have the coolest fucking effect in the game? Yes, I believe it does.

I wouldn't mind if IS does make a FE style game on Mars. Just don't attach the Fire Emblem title to it. Make it a new IP as otherwise they'll probably be grasping at straws trying to make it seem like the past games. Or hell, make the next Advance Wars on Mars.

SMT X FE to take place in Mars for some reason.

Ok, I just tried it with other files, and either my computer did something wrong, or it is just not true of all games :/

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I wouldn't mind if IS does make a FE style game on Mars. Just don't attach the Fire Emblem title to it. Make it a new IP as otherwise they'll probably be grasping at straws trying to make it seem like the past games. Or hell, make the next Advance Wars on Mars.

I'd rather they just take the FE formula, and call it something else than try to turn AW into a sci fi game. I never liked AW as much as FE, and the gameplay is a huge part of it.

I want the Mars setting. That'd be great, but I don't think we'll ever see it.

Holy shit, does Lethality have the coolest fucking effect in the game? Yes, I believe it does.

Yes, it does. More of the animations need more stylistic and exaggerated effects like the GBA sprites. They shouldn't be so concerned with adhering to naturalism.

thetrin

Yes, it does. More of the animations need more stylistic and exaggerated effects like the GBA sprites. They shouldn't be so concerned with adhering to naturalism.

The first time it happened I was like "WHOOOOOA!"

It's a shame that more skills don't have cool effects like that. Morgan is my favorite party member now purely because of it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's fantastic. The last 100 pages is the support conversations though. Hopefully Dark Horse or Udon brings it over with that part translated.

I suppose it's time to pester them and hope that the JP version doesn't go OOS in case a translated version never comes about. The few pages I've seen on the FE wikia look really marvelous.

Moonlight

Banned
After mulling it over, I've come to a conclusion that Morgan is the best second gen character. Her supports are easily some of the best in the entire game. Particularly her support events with Brady and Inigo. Just a really fun character.

Totakeke

Man, even as a series vet (played 6 through 11 on all difficulties) this game on hard is still ball busting. All the new recruits have shit all stats, and the defense/skill of the enemy units is huge. In the old games the triangle actually was indicitve of how a fight would go, not so much here. Swordsman vs axe user, or an axe wielder vs a lancer, doesnt help much, I might as well be ignoring it. Terrain advantadges seem hugely diminished as well.

I could easily steamroll most chapters with my key few characters (chrom, avatar, vaike, sumia) but trying to train guys like ricken, donnel, gaius etc is nearly impossible, even with pair up abusing. Am I missing something? I started a new game up on easy and just DESTROYED the first 5 chapters, it wasnt even funny. So I switched back to my hard save file

I should note that I generally refuse to use prepremotes until end game. I'm around chapter 10 on hard with a few paralogues completed. Any insight?

You're not using Pair Up enough. Get some relationship ranks on the more powerful character first before levelling the weaker character. Of course, you always want to grind on the extra mobs either random spawn or the bonus teams/dlc.

Can anyone link from the OST the music that plays in mainly risen side fights that starts with bongos and I think is a remix of an older theme?

Gestahl

I wonder if previous FEs got badass interesting characters like Lucy and Owain.

You should probably play the other games then. Hector from FE7 and 9-10's Ike have some of the most badass lines in the series, and Ephraim from 8 took over an entire castle with just himself and a couple cavaliers. Not to mention the dark shit that goes down in FE4 and 5 on a story level.

Oh and FE3/12 has a goddamn Char so that has to count for something.

Katsuragi

I'm currently at chapter 12. What a polished, well made game! I love the extended support system and all the additional content the game regularly throws at you. Presentation is top-notch, too! I probably should have chosen a harder difficulty, though, as my army is slowly becoming too powerful to be challenged in a meaningful way (I'm doing tons of side content and DLC maps between missions).

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
It happened to me on chapter 18's boss, and that immediately came to mind. Though I think support guard blocks them all automatically if it activates.

Yeah, I think that's the case. I just got attacked by a brave sword and both were blocked. Now it kinda feels less special lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom