• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I find it weird that some of the females can't be paired up with.

Also it's fine to stick to a single class when a character has reached final growth?

im 14 hours in, chapter 13, and im debating restarting now that I know who some of the later characters are and how the children aspect work

im still not worried about power gaming it and doing the galeforce thing with everyone and making sure that the stat gains are at x levels, just playing it like I have been. But Chrom not having an actual wife kind of screwed things up real good

should I tough it out and get at least one playthrough complete, or go ahead and scrap it?
I say go ahead and play it, it's fun to do things your own way and experiment without getting too caught up in the details. Think of if this way, the developers didn't intend for you to know about the children stuff going in so it was probably meant to be a surprise anyway.

Save the perfectionism for another run, this game is certainly good enough to warrant it.

But what if I'm satisfied :(
Accruing skills is overkill for the most part. If you're happy with where a character is then keep them there.

I think I will finally get this game today. My local K-Mart has a few copies noticed yesterday everywhere else has been sold out since release. Pretty excited. I'm sure I'll be back to pick all your brains.

You know something weird is going on when K-Mart is the only place you can find a game.

Ya no kidding I didn't even think to check there earlier cause well it's K-Mart. Had to.run there last night for the wife and cruised by the electronics and noticed they had 2 copies would have bought then but it was like 1 minute from closing time and I have the day off today so I'll be there at open.

Frolow

Banned
Guys how screwed am I?
uS84E4D.jpg

scy

You don't need to reclass if you don't play Lunatic mode, otherwise you'll break the game.

Pretty much. Most of my kids will hit all their stat caps (barring an off-stat like Inigo's Magic) by the time I get their supports done, much less when I get the finishing touches on their skillsets.

Oh well ;_;

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Accruing skills is overkill for the most part. If you're happy with where a character is then keep them there.

Oh right, class changing also reduces some of the character's stats right? Is it good for min-maxing growth if you hit a cap and wanted to change it?

Guys how screwed am I?
If Chrom could take out that weakened ax wielder below him you could run everyone else back across the bridge and block it off with Chrom and Fred... Well, except for the MU. Maybe run away and switch over to Sumia?

Oh right, class changing also reduces some of the character's stats right? Is it good for min-maxing growth if you hit a cap and wanted to change it?
Someone can correct me if this is wrong but I'm pretty sure the stats you gain from class changes are static and are based on the class you are changing to. When you change from one class to another it takes away the stats you gained from your previous class (only the static bonuses gained during the promotion process, not stats gained from leveling) and applies the stat changes from the class you're changing into.

That's pretty confusing so let me try to give an example. Say you're a Myrmidon and you change over into a Swordmaster. When you change to Swordmaster you get +7 STR, but since Myrmidon already gives you a +4 STR bonus you will only see a change of +3 STR (New bonus - old bonus = change). Now, let's say you want to eventually change from a Swordmaster to a Hero. A Swordmaster gets a bonus of +13 SPD but a Hero only gets +10. So, when you change classes, you will actually see your SPD decrease by 3.

Hopefully that makes some sense!

Mr. Fix

Guys how screwed am I?

:lol damn.

You could have Chrom take out the barbarian, have Maribelle step in north of Stahl to heal him, and then risk the MU standing to the right of Maribelle. That would have him 1 block above the knight, but if you have a vulnerary you could heal up.

I could see the dark mage targeting Maribelle (though she should be able to survive the hit), with the Knight and maybe the thief attacking your Avatar. The rest would probably attack Chrom.

*oh shit, you could have Frederick kill the knight so that would keep your Avatar safe.

Tadale

After being a tepid newcomer to the series a couple of days ago, I now feel like a Fire Emblem vet. I couldn't put the game down yesterday – it really clicked when I got into the benefits of pairing off characters.

So Many Bullets

Neo Member
This is my first FE game. Not knowing there was already a Frederick in this game I named my MC Frederick, because that is my name. Holy crap, was that confusing. I made it to Ch. 4 before I had to restart to keep from going nuts. Thank you mighty and merciful game developers for making all scenes skippable! Got right back to where I was very quickly.

Up to Ch. 13 now and loving it. I was grinding like mad early on, and think I may have over leveled a little bit. Having to back off a bit now and give more reps to the B team. Stahl, Nowi, Ricken and the rest of you bench warmers, get in there! However, I did get my ass handed to me on the Golden Gaffe map, going to have to wait a bit before I try and take that on again.

tuffy

However, I did get my ass handed to me on the Golden Gaffe map, going to have to wait a bit before I try and take that on again.

That level looks a bit scary right up until you realize the enemy never actually attacks your party on their turn; they'll only counterattack if attacked on the player's turn. So if the attack screen shows they'll hit back twice for umpteen damage, you can simply go after somebody else.

So Many Bullets

Neo Member
Also, want to add that Donnel is a beast. I got him up to Mercenary>Hero now, and he wrecks everything. I just stick a pegasus in his pocket, and send him off to war.

bionic77

Just started playing the game yesterday. I cleared the first 3 chapters on hard but I was surprised how hard it was. Almost had my leader killed in a one shot against some shit bandit leader. I had plenty of support to finish him off but I was trying to level up Chrom and if was not being careful I woild have been screwed. I am a FE vet, played the prior advance and DS game, is it just me or is hard hard as fuck? Will I get screwed halfway through this game playing at this level? It seems too easy at beginner.

I can't save you if you keep running TOWARDS THE ENEMIES

The AI is generally suicidal.

Trying to save people with weapons is also madness. They will attack armored knights and do one or two points of damage in exchange for 11 back when they could just as easily run behind my frontline and be safe.

Just started playing the game yesterday. I cleared the first 3 chapters on hard but I was surprised how hard it was. Almost had my leader killed in a one shot against some shit bandit leader. I had plenty of support to finish him off but I was trying to level up Chrom and if was not being careful I woild have been screwed. I am a FE vet, played the prior advance and DS game, is it just me or is hard hard as fuck? Will I get screwed halfway through this game playing at this level? It seems too easy at beginner.

I'm the same, and it's definitely a lot harder to appease the classic mode fans. I've had to grind a quite a bit but I don't care, it definitely feels like old-school FE hard.

Draxal

This is like sacred stones, random battles + dlc makes so there is no finite exp. The big difference in this game compared to the ds / gba fire emblems is how important pair up (the new mechanic) is. It adds a shit ton to the base stats, and it makes the game alot easier.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You get a Seraph Robe for saving at least 1.

Yeah, that's a decent reward in my opinion (mostly considering how early in the game you get it), but I don't know how the rewards work so it's hard to make a recommendation. If there's a specific villager to save for that it would be good to know which it is, or if you only have to save one of them you get that and can skip out on the two lame rewards (a stick and a ladle).

Palehorse

Really loving this FE. I've played other versions but they never clicked. I got up to Chapter 5 in FEA and man...I must have restarted it 20 times but couldn't get through the map without losing 5-6 characters.

Mind you, I'd lost Frederick in a previous map...that darn Hammer.

So I restarted and am back to Chapter 5 again, this time with my full squad. I'm hoping having Frederick along will let me tank him through the hard parts.

Draxal

Yeah, that's a decent reward in my opinion (mostly considering how early in the game you get it), but I don't know how the rewards work so it's hard to make a recommendation. If there's a specific villager to save for that it would be good to know which it is, or if you only have to save one of them you get that and can skip out on the two lame rewards (a stick and a ladle).

The first one gets you the seraph robe. In all honesty, this isn't hard to do, you have to clear out the east mobs and the pegasus knights in the west. You can ignore the southern forest guys as they won't reach the villagers in time.

scy

Hard mode is rough for a few chapters and then tapers off quite fast, even without extra grinding. I wouldn't worry that much, this is probably one of the easier Hard modes.

massoluk

Banned
Pairing up is more broken than Dual Strikes

Yay or nay

Bonus points for an Aye

Of course it is. Pair up destroys the balance of every class. General doesn't have to move slow, Healer doesn't have to hide in the back away from the front line, Pegasus Knight doesn't have to run from Archer.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What to do with Virion... Bow Knight, Sniper, or reclass?

Also: Just got the C level support with Tharja and My Unit. O_O

Draxal

Pairing isn't "broken," the game is designed around it. It's just really, really good. That was obviously the intention of the developer.

I agree with this, I think this was the intention, they wanted you to use it and balanced around it. Now Dark Magic otoh, completely broken compared to the rest of the classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom