• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finished the game. What's there to do when I finish other than random grinding, just cause. What really stinks is that after the endgame, it doesnt save, you just load up the game before the last lvl.

Ferrio

Banned
What's the easiest way to level up underleveled characters? I'm using a reeking box.. but my lvl 3s get decimated by these 10s...

Draxal

The worst is when they run up to attack you and then you die from counter proccing off your counterattacks :<

/ch13lunaticwoes

Yeah, counter is pretty much the reason I don't want to play lunatic, too many of them getting that skill and the only way to counter is it pretty much as much sorcerors as possible, I wouldn't have fun with it.

Chrom

So I finished the game. What's there to do when I finish other than random grinding, just cause. What really stinks is that after the endgame, it doesnt save, you just load up the game before the last lvl.

Supports
Lunatic+
SpotPass/DLC

You aren't done with this game yet.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What's the easiest way to level up underleveled characters? I'm using a reeking box.. but my lvl 3s get decimated by these 10s...

The free DLC isn't a bad place to start, though I try to use Champions of Yore 3 if at all possible since there are no allies and higher level enemies so experience rolls in faster. You can even level up reclassed base-class units very quickly on that map. Enemies are level 15ish though.

Risen levels depend on the location, so if you have them in the first couple spots on the map they'll be lower level. Reeking boxes aren't a very good investment though, unless you're playing on normal and get more money out of them than what they cost.

JoeFu

Banned
I kind of regret starting on normal, as I've played Fire Emblems before, but I just wanted to enjoy the game. Second playthrough will probably be lunatic haha.

zokDiG0.png

whos that?

Draxal

The free DLC isn't a bad place to start, though I try to use Champions of Yore 3 if at all possible since there are no allies and higher level enemies so experience rolls in faster. You can even level up reclassed base-class units very quickly on that map. Enemies are level 15ish though.

Risen levels depend on the location, so if you have them in the first couple spots on the map they'll be lower level. Reeking boxes aren't a very good investment though, unless you're playing on normal and get more money out of them than what they cost.

CoY 2 is pretty fast if you can park a guy in the middle and turn off all the animations, it lasts on turn, but your character has to be able to tank a decent amount and deal a decent amount of damage. I use it as my support grinder.

NeonZ

There's a support gallery where all support conversations you've collected are stored, you can go get more of them. There are also the skirmishes against lvl20 bonus teams which can be challenging depending on how powerful you are in the first place by the time you finished the story (and the difficulty level you're playing - they get bonus stats unavailable to the playable versions in Hard and Lunatic). Each one has its own set of enemy units and such.

Nintendo also will make 5 new end game paralogue maps available for free in the coming weeks. The first one was the paralogue with
Gangrel
, which you should already have played through if you've downloaded the free extra content available so far. After this first one, they'll all be harder than the last story map.

The worst is when they run up to attack you and then you die from counter proccing off your counterattacks :<

/ch13lunaticwoes

Always check Warriors on Lunatic. I've wasted hours of time playing a perfectly tactical game, only to be killed by a Warrior with Counter that I never checked. The buff to Counter in this game is huge.

JoeFu said:
I kind of regret starting on normal, as I've played Fire Emblems before, but I just wanted to enjoy the game. Second playthrough will probably be lunatic haha.

The jump from Hard to Lunatic is significant. If you're going from Normal to Lunatic... let's just say that I want to hear your impressions.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Two chapters until the end. Is there any post game stuff? There's a spotpass DLC I still can't acess. When is the point of no return?

There is no point of no return. You're able to save right before the last chapter and access the entire world map. By beating the game, you unlock various things like the ability to watch any Support Convos / Videos you've already seen, but there is no post game content as in-game stuff. If you beat Lunatic, you unlock Lunatic+ and your Renown carries over to new games. That's about it I believe, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Esura

Banned
Unless you're grinding, I don't think you'll be THAT overleveled. I can't imagine what you're doing that is overleveling you to the point where main chapters are trivial. They may be easy (insofar as you don't get slaughtered by the RNG) but I don't think it completely trivializes the game.

Probably doing DLC battles.

My FemMorgan and Lucina took out Chapter 17 all by themselves (I had Chrom in the corner).

My FemMorgan has a rating of 247 and Lucina is like 217. Severa is like 200. Everyone else is like between 100-190.

Got some more of the kids, first impressions would be:

Blue-haired Inigo really resembles a younger, cockier Chrom.

Severa is showing off way too much of her Tsun~ side, need more of her dere~ like when she hugged Cordelia to like her.

Cynthia annoys me, her and Yarne are probably the only child characters I really don't like at the moment.

And what kind of nickname is "Pega-Pony Princess?"

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I'm at the point where I'm starting to reclass some characters in this playthrough. Seeing as how I dont need to do the whole armshrift trick with Donnel because of the Gold DLC, I'm thinking of making him fighter->warrior to get Counter to pass on to Kjelle. Seem like a good idea?

There is no point of no return. You're able to save right before the last chapter and access the entire world map. By beating the game, you unlock various things like the ability to watch any Support Convos / Videos you've already seen, but there is no post game content as in-game stuff. If you beat Lunatic, you unlock Lunatic+ and your Renown carries over to new games. That's about it I believe, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Technically, there's also all of the spotpass paralogues that haven't been released yet. Also DLC, some of which are pretty clearly meant for he postgame.

I'm super disappointed with the offspring system. So far
Lucina
and Morgan are the only children I've gotten that have been able to pull their weight. At chapter 21 I don't really have time to be babying gimp units, and even if I did somehow get them into fighting shape, I'll only get to use them for (I'm assuming) just a few more chapters. And at that point, the old guard would probably be overleveled to hell and back, anyway.

Lucina
with Chrom supporting and some combination of Nowi/Morgan/MU are probably enough to stomp the rest of the game, anyway.

It's a shame because I was really hyped for this part, and the child units generally seem to be awesome("SACRED STOOOONES!") with lots of potentially interesting support dialogue.

Yokai

So I've completed the game in Classic Normal mode. To be fair to normal mode, if you haven't played fire emblem in a while (I think it was around 8 years for me), then it's probably worth playing normal mode -- especially if you don't remember the rules.

With hard mode, how different is the format of the levels? For example, are there more reinforcements / more units on the map? Or is just strictly more skills / higher stat enemies?

scy

I'm at the point where I'm starting to reclass some characters in this playthrough. Seeing as how I dont need to do the whole armshrift trick with Donnel because of the Gold DLC, I'm thinking of making him fighter->warrior to get Counter to pass on to Kjelle. Seem like a good idea?

You use Armsthrift so you can forge items into better-than-normal status. And then the items you can't buy.

Counter isn't really worth it for anyone you plan to use, to be honest. If you're going for a gender-unique thing to pass down, Wrath is more useful. Not that I'd really use Wrath either ;_;

I'm super disappointed with the offspring system. So far
Lucina
and Morgan are the only children I've gotten that have been able to pull their weight. At chapter 21 I don't really have time to be babying gimp units, and even if I did somehow get them into fighting shape, I'll only get to use them for (I'm assuming) just a few more chapters. And at that point, the old guard would probably be overleveled to hell and back, anyway.

Lucina
with Chrom supporting and some combination of Nowi/Morgan/MU are probably enough to stomp the rest of the game, anyway.

It's a shame because I was really hyped for this part, and the child units generally seem to be awesome("SACRED STOOOONES!") with lots of potentially interesting support dialogue.

Statistically speaking, every single child is better than their parents in terms of their potential just by virtue of how their stat system works (sum of the stat caps of their parents +1).

Draxal

You use Armsthrift so you can forge items into better-than-normal status. And then the items you can't buy.

Counter isn't really worth it for anyone you plan to use, to be honest. If you're going for a gender-unique thing to pass down, Wrath is more useful. Not that I'd really use Wrath either ;_;

I actually like counter a ton on a sniper, so I passed it off to Noire. But yeah, for Donnel it's probably more worth it to pass aptitude or underdog, and I passed off rally str to the kid strategists because that's the only male exclusive rally.

Cynthia is god-tier, get out of here.

TOO SLOW, BRO

THIS IS THE END, FRIEND

C.T.

For people who are new to this series and only want to play awakeing: this advice (of using rescue) is not for you. If you want to play previous games like the GBA games or the NGC or Wii games, this strategy might be of help to you.

use rescue!.
Each unit has a stat called constitution. A high constitution mean it's less likely for other units to pick this unit up, because you need a higher aid stat then the unit's constitution. Usually Cavaliers have the highest aid stat, they are able to rescue someone (if they haven't acted in that turn) and walk for several spaces (after they picked them up) to release or keep the unit. Keeping the unit is good in situations, where the enemy is still able to attack you and you don't want them to attack the unit you picked up but you are handicapped in your walking distance and stats (if I'm not mistaken). Using this technique wisely allows you to attack (now you are in the enemies attack range), rescue this units (flee out of the attack range) and the enemy won't attack you the next turn. Great right? It's a simple technique but one of the best if you mastered it.
Another technique is to block the enemies path. I know it's a well known strategy but I still think people forget how useful it really is. You don't have to block the whole corridor with tank units (it depends on the enemies units; a mage might be better than a general in certain situations or someone with higher magic resistance like pegasus knights), sometimes it is enough to place a unit at a certain space to block the enemy from being able to attack one of your weak units. They can't go through units and only can work a certain amount of steps. Blocking a shortcut to a certain unit is enough in most cases. But watch out for flying units, they won't be obstructed! Combined with rescuing this strategy becomes even more effective. This goes without saying but almost every enemy character who has his unique character portray is recruitable, so don't miss the change to talk to them.

Edit: GAF users told me rescuing doesn't work in awakening. Blocking paths obviously still works but rescuing (except the rescuing staff it seems, has been fully replaced by pairing units. Sorry for the confusion. This strategy still works in lots of FE games though. (GBA, NGC and Wii) so it might be neat to know about it. Just my 2 cents, I hope you all enjoy this game. I buy this game when it is eventually released in europe.

Is Counter as useful as it seems for a Battle Cleric? I have yet to get Brady and am thinking about making Vaike the father for that reason.

It's ok for extra chip damage and I guess can provide decent synergy with Renewal if you are able to heal off the damage you took during the enemy's turn.

Just don't expect it to deal lots of damage unless you are planning to go for a more risky play since Counter will be at its best if you are taking lots and lots of damage. And unless you are ok with losing someone due to that, Counter isn't that overall useful.

For people who are new to this series:
use rescue!. I've seen the Giantbomb quicklock and they didn't seem to have fully grasped rescuing. (I even wanted to sign up to write it all down in their comments, but somehow was unable to sign up.)
Each unit has a stat called constitution. A high constitution mean it's less likely for other units to pick this unit up, because you need a higher aid stat then the unit's constitution. Usually Cavaliers have the highest aid stat, they are able to rescue someone (if they haven't acted in that turn) and walk for several spaces (after they picked them up) to release or keep the unit. Keeping the unit is good in situations, where the enemy is still able to attack you and you don't want them to attack the unit you picked up but you are handicapped in your walking distance and stats (if I'm not mistaken). Using this technique wisely allows you to attack (now you are in the enemies attack range), rescue this units (flee out of the attack range) and the enemy won't attack you the next turn. Great right? It's a simple technique but one of the best if you mastered it. Use it Giant Bomb!
Another technique is to block the enemies path. I know it's a well known strategy but I still think people forget how useful it really is. You don't have to block the whole corridor with tank units (it depends on the enemies units; a mage might be better than a general in certain situations or someone with higher magic resistance like pegasus knights), sometimes it is enough to place a unit at a certain space to block the enemy from being able to attack one of your weak units. They can't go through units and only can work a certain amount of steps. Blocking a shortcut to a certain unit is enough in most cases. But watch out for flying units, they won't be obstructed! Combined with rescuing this strategy becomes even more effective. This goes without saying but almost every enemy character who has his unique character portray is recruitable, so don't miss the change to talk to them. Just my 2 cents, I hope you all enjoy this game. I buy this game when it is eventually released in europe.

Should be mentioned that you can't carry people in Awakening, only pair up.

Draxal

use rescue!. I've seen the Giantbomb quicklock and they didn't seem to have fully grasped rescuing. (I even wanted to sign up to write it all down in their comments, but somehow was unable to sign up.)
Each unit has a stat called constitution. A high constitution mean it's less likely for other units to pick this unit up, because you need a higher aid stat then the unit's constitution. Usually Cavaliers have the highest aid stat, they are able to rescue someone (if they haven't acted in that turn) and walk for several spaces (after they picked them up) to release or keep the unit. Keeping the unit is good in situations, where the enemy is still able to attack you and you don't want them to attack the unit you picked up but you are handicapped in your walking distance and stats (if I'm not mistaken). Using this technique wisely allows you to attack (now you are in the enemies attack range), rescue this units (flee out of the attack range) and the enemy won't attack you the next turn. Great right? It's a simple technique but one of the best if you mastered it. Use it Giant Bomb!
Another technique is to block the enemies path. I know it's a well known strategy but I still think people forget how useful it really is. You don't have to block the whole corridor with tank units (it depends on the enemies units; a mage might be better than a general in certain situations or someone with higher magic resistance like pegasus knights), sometimes it is enough to place a unit at a certain space to block the enemy from being able to attack one of your weak units. They can't go through units and only can work a certain amount of steps. Blocking a shortcut to a certain unit is enough in most cases. But watch out for flying units, they won't be obstructed! Combined with rescuing this strategy becomes even more effective. This goes without saying but almost every enemy character who has his unique character portray is recruitable, so don't miss the change to talk to them. Just my 2 cents, I hope you all enjoy this game. I buy this game when it is eventually released in europe.

No consitution or rescue in this game (besides the uberly good rescue staff). It's been replaced by the pair up system.

Draxal

It's ok for extra chip damage and I guess can provide decent synergy with Renewal if you are able to heal off the damage you took during the enemy's turn.

Just don't expect it to deal lots of damage unless you are planning to go for a more risky play since Counter will be at its best if you are taking lots and lots of damage. And unless you are ok with losing someone due to that, Counter isn't that overall useful.

People like it for street pass teams, but it's easy to plan for (just attack from two squares apart).

scy

Not even for streetpass?

Well, I guess for that it's alright. But it's easy to plan around in that regard too. Counter is best used on units that plan to take a lot of damage (not get hit often but actually take a lot of damage) but you really don't have that happening too often barring, say, Nosferatu tanking ... which already breaks things anyway.

...and probably won't take that much damage anyhow!

I actually like counter a ton on a sniper, so I passed it off to Noire. But yeah, for Donnel it's probably more worth it to pass aptitude or underdog, and I passed off rally str to the kid strategists because that's the only male exclusive rally.

Yeah, Counter would actually be fairly useful for Archers since they lack a 1-range attack. Not sure if I'd use it there, though :/

Also, I keep forgetting about Rally Strength.

Roto13

You should really play the game before you start giving out advice.

scy

I find it hard to believe she could beat out Owain (BINDING BLADE!) and Female Morgan (Daddy's little girl) as best kid.

I've only seen one Cynthia support so far (her C-Rank with Nah) and the idea of her wanting to stand on top of Nah to pose is just too awesome.

In fact, I've now decided that Cynthia and Nah may end up Paired Up more often than not just so that I can imagine this is how they fight.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
I regret playing this game in normal. At a certain point it becomes way to easy I dont even use healers anymore. Go straight in an kill everything that moves misson complete. I guess it being my first fire emblem i choosed normal. If i ever go back to play other fe games ill choose the middle dificulty. I'm around chapter 15.

Javier

Sakurai needs to implement the Rescue Staff into the next Smash Bros.

Basically like a Pokeball/Assist Trophy but with Fire Emblem characters.

C.T.

You should really play the game before you start giving out advice.

This critique is kind of harsh. Rescuing is a FE stable (unchanged since atleast FE6, haven't played previous games and I've said I've yet to play it). I saw rescue in that video, the giant bomb guys even talked about it, so I thought it's still in. Must have been the rescue staff.
Didn't want to confuse anybody and will edit my post.

Anteo

Yeah they got rid of this for Awakening, and the Pair up sistem doesnt work like it, you cant just go and pair up with a unit that already used it's turn and have that unit safe.

Edit:
This critique is kind of harsh. Rescuing is a FE stable (unchanged since atleast FE6, haven't played previous games and I've said I've yet to play it). I saw rescue in that video, the giant bomb guys even talked about it, so I thought it's still in. Must have been the rescue staff.
Didn't want to confuse anybody and will edit my post.

The rescue staff works teleporting a target unit close to the caster. The range is the same as the Physic Staff.

C.T.

Yeah they got rid of this for Awakening, and the Pair up sistem doesnt work like it, you cant just go and pair up with a unit that already used it's turn and have that unit safe.

Edit:

The rescue staff works teleporting a target unit close to the caster. The range is the same as the Physic Staff.

It still neat though. Now weak healing units can rescue important units. Question is: is the resque staff as rare as the physic staff? Or can you buy them in shops or forge them etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom