• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pairing isn't "broken," the game is designed around it. It's just really, really good. That was obviously the intention of the developer.

I don't know of it's "broken," but it's powerful enough that there aren't really many tradeoffs for using it. It's not a powerful option, it's the way to go in almost every case. Some of that is due to the map and mission design (which isn't great in this game), but it'd be nice if there were more interesting decisions to be made when choosing whether or not to pair.

Jamix012

I don't know of it's "broken," but it's powerful enough that there aren't really many tradeoffs for using it. It's not a powerful option, it's the way to go in almost every case. Some of that is due to the map and mission design (which isn't great in this game), but it'd be nice if there were more interesting decisions to be made when choosing whether or not to pair.

Pairing is not at all broken. In fact I've lost a unit, restarted the chapter and been better off not pairing. By not pairing you get more people to attack with, a better spread of experience and more people to tank with.

Pairing isn't "broken," the game is designed around it. It's just really, really good. That was obviously the intention of the developer.
Well yeah, when you make all the units weak compared to enemies unlike past games, or all the enemies strong compared to your units, or however you want to phrase it, of course the game is designed around you pairing and closing the gap.

ultron87

What happens to the other person if the person they are paired with dies? What happens if they are with a flying thing and their partner dies over water?

zroid

Banned
On occasion I've paired up units to ferry a long distance, and then separated them on the same turn to create a multi-unit wall. There are definitely advantages to not pairing, and sometimes using both mechanics in conjunction can be specifically beneficial. There are tons of options.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

The only real disadvantage to Pairing Up, once you have proper supports, is lack of single units to attack multiple enemies (or lack of units to block the enemy's route). But in the end, your units are probably invincible weapons of utter destruction who can't be touched anyway when paired up, so it doesn't matter.

It'd feel less broken if enemy units could pair up as well. It would have been cool to see enemies, who are corned, pair up to try to survive, or fighting two bosses that pair up.

By not pairing you get more people to attack with, a better spread of experience and more people to tank with.

It depends on the pair really. The more people to attack with point only matters if the targets of your units are different, because if you're at a level in which your partner attacking and defending are mostly reliable, there's not much reason not to pair up if they're both going after the same enemy. When the partners support becomes reliable, they'll both reliably get experience, and in fact may get more than if you had attacked with just one unit. The more people to tank with thing becomes pointless with the boosts doubling gives since they'll be tanking and dodging even better, it'd only be better to be single if you need to protect multiple narrow corridors, but that's not something there's much of in this game anyways.

It'd feel less broken if enemy units could pair up as well. It would have been cool to see enemies, who are corned, pair up to try to survive, or fighting two bosses that pair up.

The bandit brothers would've been perfect for that.

Ponn

Banned
Well time for grinding. Some characters i can just let out into the battlefield back to back and they just swat the enemies down like flies. Chrom, Lon'qui, Gaius, Lucina, MC to an extent. Everyone else drops likes flies. I dont know if it was a sharp diffulcity spike or if my OCD of raising everyone in my army at the same time is catching up to me.

I don't understand why every unit can't have at least A Support with every other unit.

They'd have to write more scenes and dialogue. Though the lack of supports for many units seems deliberate, especially with some of the late joining units that can't support with many people outside of the avatar and thus are sort of gimped.

Soulhouf

I was close to delete my data because of that stupid Japanese voices glitch and I know I will get sloppy and do it given how often I do soft resets.
I can't believe they didn't fix it yet :/

EDarkness

Well time for grinding. Some characters i can just let out into the battlefield back to back and they just swat the enemies down like flies. Chrom, Lon'qui, Gaius, Lucina, MC to an extent. Everyone else drops likes flies. I dont know if it was a sharp diffulcity spike or if my OCD of raising everyone in my army at the same time is catching up to me.

I know what you mean. My Avatar is so badass nothing can stop him. And for some reason enemies throw themselves upon his sword making him more badass. I just wish other characters weren't so weak. Though, Lucina, Chrom, and Morgan tear it up, too.

scy

Random aside, why does female Morgan only seem to have a support option with Nah and Noire? Not counting sibling ones, anyway. I wanted to see Morgan's supports with Severa or Cynthia ;_;

zokDiG0.png

Tharja best waifu.

The only real disadvantage to Pairing Up, once you have proper supports, is lack of single units to attack multiple enemies (or lack of units to block the enemy's route). But in the end, your units are probably invincible weapons of utter destruction who can't be touched anyway when paired up, so it doesn't matter.

Really just needed more split engagements or map/objective variety to make it more of a choice. But, like you say, it eventually becomes a case of Paired Up units just never dying. Ever.

I was surprised that Vincent and Victor didn't use it. I thought that was going to be the game's way of introducing enemies with it.

GeekyDad

Sure there is. Both units of the pair cannot act during the same phase. It becomes quite the trade-off when deciding whether or not to heal someone this turn or attack, or use an archer versus protecting him/her for a given turn by switching out to a unit with better def/res. You're still getting stat bonuses by keeping units near each other, so pairing isn't necessarily the "easy" strategy. It's just an easy pattern to fall into later in the game.

So I've been meaning to ask this for a while, how exactly does the inheriting skills from a parent mechanic work? I just finished chapter 15 and am starting to get characters married (only Chrom so far). Does it pick at random? I read something about it choosing the 5th skill equipped on both parents, is that right? So if I wanted Galeforce from Cordelia, I'd have to unlock it first and equip it then get married? Its weird but with Chrom's kid
Lucina
only got 1 skill from Chrom and not Sumia, was she suppose to one from the mother as well?

Random aside, why does female Morgan only seem to have a support option with Nah and Noire? Not counting sibling ones, anyway. I wanted to see Morgan's supports with Severa or Cynthia ;_;

? Mine can support with 10 people including her parents and sibling.

EDarkness

Sure there is. Both units of the pair cannot act during the same phase. It becomes quite the trade-off when deciding whether or not to heal someone this turn or attack, or use an archer versus protecting him/her for a given turn by switching out to a unit with better def/res. You're still getting stat bonuses by keeping units near each other, so pairing isn't necessarily the "easy" strategy. It's just an easy pattern to fall into later in the game.

I almost never use pairing. I generally have units next to each other for the bonus, because I like having the option for more moves per round.

scy

? Mine can support with 10 people including her parents and sibling.

I forgot a word. "Female support options." It's limited to Mother, sister (if applicable), Noire, and Nah ... for some reason. And, since Noire is her sister, I didn't even get the normal Morgan and Noire support ;_;

Female Morgan has awesome supports so far so I wanted to see how'd she react to the other girls :(

So I've been meaning to ask this for a while, how exactly does the inheriting skills from a parent mechanic work? I just finished chapter 15 and am starting to get characters married (only Chrom so far). Does it pick at random? I read something about it choosing the 5th skill equipped on both parents, is that right? So if I wanted Galeforce from Cordelia, I'd have to unlock it first and equip it then get married? Its weird but with Chrom's kid
Lucina
only got 1 skill from Chrom and not Sumia, was she suppose to one from the mother as well?

They inherit the last skill on each of their parents' list at the time you do the map for them. You can marry characters off whenever as it doesn't matter for the skills until you actually go to recruit them.

NeonZ

I don't understand why every unit can't have at least A Support with every other unit.
Apparently writing a script costs more than what one would think... Don't forget the parent and sibling supports, which attempt to reuse the same flow of dialogue for every possible father with the same child, only tweaking some of their speech style and some minor lines... They obviously gave the most focus to possible S supports, and everything else was secondary, which left the characters without children of their own without many choices, especially in comparison to other characters of this game.

Nexas

Lucina

Children always receive the last skill from their parents. Chrom is the only exception. He will always pass down Aether to his daughters and Rightful King to his sons. Sumia should have passed down her last skill. Are you sure you didn't miss it?

EDarkness

Apparently writing a script costs more than what one would think... Don't forget the parent and sibling supports, which attempt to reuse the same flow of dialogue for every possible father with the same child, only tweaking some of their speech style and some minor lines... They obviously gave the most focus to possible S supports, and everything else was secondary, which left the characters without children of their own without many choices, especially in comparison to other characters of this game.

I married Lucina and the dialog with Morgan was sad and felt like a copout. Also, I wish they would have at least fleshed out interactions with at least the main character's wife. I don't even feel like my character is married. Not even in
the scene when Lucina tries to kill the main character
do I get the impression they're a couple. It's a little disappointing.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I married Lucina and the dialog with Morgan was sad and felt like a copout. Also, I wish they would have at least fleshed out interactions with at least the main character's wife. I don't even feel like my character is married. Not even in

I agree, but there's so many potential story implications (both minor and potentially major) such as the MU with certain spotpass characters or base game characters who actually have some story weight (which admittedly isn't that many) that it would get out of hand with all the permutations if it carried through consistently due to the story's "fixed" perspective.

The re-used dialogue for fathers and kids is really unfortunate, though. Would be hoping for some difference there, but the same issue applies.

EDarkness

I agree, but there's so many potential story implications (both minor and potentially major) such as the MU with certain spotpass characters or base game characters who actually have some story weight (which admittedly isn't that many) that it would get out of hand with all the permutations if it carried through consistently due to the story's "fixed" perspective.

The re-used dialogue for fathers and kids is really unfortunate, though. Would be hoping for some difference there, but the same issue applies.

Well, they should have had a few "set" wives for the main character, and all other choices were generic. Much like with Chrom. But to be honest, I would have been fine with the main character calling his wife "honey" or "darling". And vice-versa.

I forgot a word. "Female support options." It's limited to Mother, sister (if applicable), Noire, and Nah ... for some reason. And, since Noire is her sister, I didn't even get the normal Morgan and Noire support ;_;

Female Morgan has awesome supports so far so I wanted to see how'd she react to the other girls :(

They inherit the last skill on each of their parents' list at the time you do the map for them. You can marry characters off whenever as it doesn't matter for the skills until you actually go to recruit them.

Children always receive the last skill from their parents. Chrom is the only exception. He will always pass down Aether to his daughters and Rightful King to his sons. Sumia should have passed down her last skill. Are you sure you didn't miss it.

thanks guys, and yea turns out she got Rally Movement from Sumia, woulda been a stretch to try to get Sumia to Dark Flier to get galeforce at chapter 11 lol

NeonZ

That scene is rewritten if you have an S support with her (or with Chrom) though. Anyway, the only married interaction for most characters are the bonding quotes from when you move a pair to those event tiles. They're completely changed for S support pairs.

Parents and Children also have their own quotes there too - and curiously some bigger lines than usual, while the lovers just have new two line quotes - I got Chrom to ask Inigo about what he did to pass the time when there was some peace in the future, and Inigo's answer took three speech bubbles, rather than the usual one - the answer was clearly generic and seemed like it'd be reused for any of his possible fathers though. Same goes to Lucina asking Chrom about his life in the past, before her arrival, 3 speech bubbles for Chrom's answer.

EDarkness

That scene is rewritten if you have an S support with her (or with Chrom) though. Anyway, the only married interaction for most characters is that the bonding quotes from when you move a pair to those event tiles are completely changed for S support pairs.

Parents and Children also have their own quotes there too - and curiously some bigger lines than usual, while the lovers just have new two line quotes - I got Chrom to ask Inigo about what he did to pass the time when there was some peace in the future, and Inigo's answer took three speech bubbles, rather than the usual one - the answer was clearly generic and seemed like it'd be reused for any of his possible fathers though. Same goes to Lucina asking Chrom about his life in the past, before her arrival.

What event tiles?

mercviper

I think what's giving me the hardest time in Lunatic is trying to spread the XP gains amongst my weaker party members. On Ch. 15 now and I find that eventually I win the map by realizing I need to send my best unit to tank/kill half the map or more, even if the gains are terrible for them. :/

EDarkness

The sparkly tiles on maps that give exp, items, or weapons. If you have paired up units they may have conversations that boost their relationship.

Oh. I don't pair up characters. Though, I also didn't know those sparkly spots did that. I just use them for weapon skill boosts.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh. I don't pair up characters. Though, I also didn't know those sparkly spots did that. I just use them for weapon skill boosts.

You must be playing on normal or grinding like hell, I don't think I could get through the game without pair up. It's not balanced for you to not use it.

Draxal

Did Nintendo of Japan announce that the Katarina dlc is going to be the last dlc, or is that just commonly assumed by the fans?

Def Jukie

This is my first Fire Emblem but I've certainly played other strategy games in the past. I don't mind a challenge as long as it's reasonable. Hard or Normal?

Mit-

I've only played Fire Emblem (GBA) and I spent tons of time prepping for battles and playing battles, refused to let anyone die, and in general spent way too much time/stress on the game.

I don't have much free time anymore (although I refuse to play without perma-death). Awakening, hard or normal?

Draxal

I've only played Fire Emblem (GBA) and I spent tons of time prepping for battles and playing battles, refused to let anyone die, and in general spent way too much time/stress on the game.

I don't have much free time anymore. Awakening, hard or normal?

Awakening hard/casual (casual is pretty much made for the stress/time issue due to in game saves), just reset the game if a character dies. Normal is just too easy.

Mit-

Awakening hard/casual (casual is pretty much made for the stress/time issue), just reset the game if a character dies.

Well I edited my post to include that I wanted permadeath, but that's an interesting point.

I didn't know you could play casual on any difficulty. Does the difficulty add more than the perma-death?

This is my first Fire Emblem but I've certainly played other strategy games in the past. I don't mind a challenge as long as it's reasonable. Hard or Normal?

Hard. Going by others' reports, normal mode seems to be about the same as it was in FE12, where it offered no challenge whatsoever and left a pretty bland taste in my mouth.

Does the difficulty add more than the perma-death?

Hard mode allows enemy reinforcements to act immediately (requiring you to position your units more carefully at the end of turns), boosts enemy stats, and gives enemies better weapons. It also increases the price of certain items (well, reeking boxes, at least).

I don't have much free time anymore (although I refuse to play without perma-death). Awakening, hard or normal?

It's easy, really easy with casual normal mode.

Draxal

Hard. Going by others' reports, normal mode seems to be about the same as it was in FE12, where it offered no challenge whatsoever and left a pretty bland taste in my mouth.

Hard mode allows enemy reinforcements to act immediately (requiring you to position your units more carefully at the end of turns), boosts enemy stats, and gives enemies better weapons. It also increases the price of certain items (well, reeking boxes, at least).

And gives the enemies some skills (counter can be a bitch), of course lunatic adds a ton more skills and lunatic + gives skills that break the game.

And gives the enemies some skills (counter can be a bitch), of course lunatic adds a ton more skills and lunatic + gives skills that break the game.

Counter is just brutal. After my second near-death experience, I learned to check warriors before attacking them from adjacent tiles.

Frolow

Banned
If Chrom could take out that weakened ax wielder below him you could run everyone else back across the bridge and block it off with Chrom and Fred... Well, except for the MU. Maybe run away and switch over to Sumia?

:lol damn.

You could have Chrom take out the barbarian, have Maribelle step in north of Stahl to heal him, and then risk the MU standing to the right of Maribelle. That would have him 1 block above the knight, but if you have a vulnerary you could heal up.

I could see the dark mage targeting Maribelle (though she should be able to survive the hit), with the Knight and maybe the thief attacking your Avatar. The rest would probably attack Chrom.

*oh shit, you could have Frederick kill the knight so that would keep your Avatar safe.

Well, here's what went down:

I had Frederick take out the Barbarian on the left side, moved Stahl to the bridge behind everyone else, moved Robin to the bridge as well and healed him with Maribelle. Chrom stayed put since there wasn't anything I could do that didn't result in death the following turn for him.

Mage gets a critical on Marribelle and she dies, Robin gets hit twice from Barbarians and dies. Gameover. The kicker here is that I needed only 1 of the Barbarians to miss and Robin would have lived, and both of them only had 50% chance of hitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom