• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteo

It still neat though. Now weak healing units can rescue important units. Question is: is the resque staff as rare as the physic staff? Or can you buy them in shops or forge them etc?

You can buy them in some stores, sometimes Anna apears in a location with rare or discounted items for you to buy. Also, they way the new system works is:

The unit A goes to the side of the unit B and uses Pair.
Now unit B is the main unit and unit A is the unit safe. The unit B get some stat bonus from unit A.

That means you cant send a unit to attack, and then try to Pair up to protect it.

Anto

Neo Member
You can buy them in some stores, sometimes Anna apears in a location with rare or discounted items for you to buy. Also, they way the new system works is:

Now unit B is the main unit and unit A is the unit safe. The unit B get some stat bonus from unit A.

That means you cant send a unit to attack, and then try to Pair up to protect it.

The way this works in Awakening is exactly the opposite of what you just said.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

What I found interesting was how quickly I adapted to that, despite abusing the hell out of rescue in previous games.

You must have misread, he's right. The active unit that you use the pair command with becomes the secondary/safe unit, not the lead unit.

Oh my god your names.

Anteo

As everyone before said, it is just as I described it. The rescue command is the exactly opposit though, with the unit that uses rescue becoming the main unit and getting some penalties to stats.

This morning, I had Lissa X Chrom fight against a generic swordmaster with Astra. Lissa as a sage guarded against all 5 strikes. o_o

I heard that if your partner blocks the first strike of Astra, they'll block them all. Or only one roll of the RNG is used for dual blocking Astra instead of rolling against all five strikes.

kswiston

This critique is kind of harsh. Rescuing is a FE stable (unchanged since atleast FE6, haven't played previous games and I've said I've yet to play it). I saw rescue in that video, the giant bomb guys even talked about it, so I thought it's still in. Must have been the rescue staff.
Didn't want to confuse anybody and will edit my post.

You can't rescue in the two DS Fire Emblem games either. Constitution and weapon weight were dumped in Shadow Dragon I believe.

tumblr_mih263QPnt1s5uhr8o1_500.png

tumblr_mih263QPnt1s5uhr8o2_500.png

tumblr_mih263QPnt1s5uhr8o3_500.png

Ok, now I see what you guys were talking about their supports. I can't stop laughing though XD

vctor182

So I was playing chapter 12 and selected Olivia to help her raise some levels, I paired her with my Avatar and gave her an Armorslayer to defeat Knights easily. I was saving after each turn since she could die if she took 2 hits. After 3 turns she was defeated so I did a soft reset and tried again but then the same exact thing happened, the enemies moved the same, the attacks were the same even my Olivia did the same critical attack to the same enemy. I did this 4 more times and the results were exactly the same. Olivia was destined to die according to the game unless I switched her to my Avatar. I thought the attacks and damage was not fixated and that critical attacks were based on chance not fixed.

So I was playing chapter 12 and selected Olivia to help her raise some levels, I paired her with my Avatar and gave her an Armorslayer to defeat Knights easily. I was saving after each turn since she could die if she took 2 hits. After 3 turns she was defeated so I did a soft reset and tried again but then the same exact thing happened, the enemies moved the same, the attacks were the same even my Olivia did the same critical attack to the same enemy. I did this 4 more times and the results were exactly the same. Olivia was destined to die according to the game unless I switched her to my Avatar. I thought the attacks and damage was not fixated and that critical attacks were based on chance not fixed.

The way the RNG works in is this game is designed so that you can't abuse saves like that, if you do the exact same thing every time, you'll keep getting the same results.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The way the RNG works in is this game is designed so that you can't abuse saves like that, if you do the exact same thing every time, you'll keep getting the same results.

I'd imagine you could theoretically use this to break the game, but it's probably not realistically possible. Much more complex than "writing" your own RNG outcomes for a GB Pokemon game, for instance.

Yeah, this isn't Radiant Dawn. If you want to change the future you'll need to try something else that uses the RNG before you do that action.

scy

I'd imagine you could theoretically use this to break the game, but it's probably not realistically possible. Much more complex than "writing" your own RNG outcomes for a GB Pokemon game, for instance.

You can control the RNG fairly easily given a static seed.

That said, isn't it just Casual that has in-battle hard saves to revert to like this?

Gestahl

Wow Lunatic + is just terrible. Who thought half-assing the encounter design with randomized enemy skills was a good idea? Fuck this.

massoluk

Banned
Some of my first run pairing. I just ended up with alll the manga/anime tropes.

Chrom x Sully - Prince and his tomboy childhood friend
Avatar x Cordelia - Pegasus Knight Waifu, my life is complete.
Tharja x Fred - Stalker get stalked.
Donnel x Nowi - Ancient loli dragon and farmboy.
Olivia x Lon'qu - Most unlikely couple, blushed face 24x7.
Lissa x Vaike - Precious princess and a delinquent fool with a heart of gold.
Virion x Maribelle - the two snobs deserved each others
Gaius x Panne - Can't catch them.
Cherche x Gregor - Giant with a heart of gold
who saved her precious Minerva when it's a child... awwwwww
Kjelle x Batman - Badass professionals.
Morgan x Yarne - God damn adorable.

Gestahl

From all the comments about the Cherche supports it seems like anyone who marries her ends up having more development and a deeper relationship with her wyvern than with her

scy

I'm still unsure how her support with the Avatar ends in marriage.

I really should've done that S-Rank to satisfy my curiosity on that front.

Roto13

Fuuuuuck, I forgot to marry Sully to anyone. And I don't use her in this file. And the only remaining bachelors for her are weak too.

You could check the 3DS activity log to get a better idea.

Huh... problem solved.

Anyway I'm on chapter 18 now but the way 17 ended...
was extremely awesome. Are there any game of hrones fans here? Basilio's confrontation with Walhart was almost exactly like I imagined Robert and Rhaegar's battle in the Trident. The man even has bright red armor!

IllumiNate

So I'll be buying this game day one of getting my 3DSXL and I'm wondering as someone who's never played the series before which difficulty I should start with?

scy

Her matchmaker is Minerva.

Figured. It just seems like a weird, "Oh, well, I guess we love each other too?" route.

Fuuuuuck, I forgot to marry Sully to anyone. And I don't use her in this file. And the only remaining bachelors for her are weak too.

Even if the parents are at their base levels, the kid still comes out fine. It's not like the parents having no levels makes their stats worse or anything. It's all bonuses.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
For some reason I can't stop reading Tharja's lines in Guu's japanese voice (from the anime)

massoluk

Banned
Normal is a perfectly fine place to start. If you think you'll be OCD over character deaths and stuff, pick Casual as well.

That's one problem with this game. :p

Normal is actually Easy, but Hard is Hard and Lunatic is Lunatic. But whatever it is, if you care about max-min, the game break pretty easily 2/3 of the way in.

Javaman

Isn't the bundle supposed to come with the XL 3DS? Online it looks like this..

vxM9OfO.jpg

but in the store it doesn't say anything about screen size or XL. Which one is gamestop selling? I don't want to buy it if it's the normal one.
Gq9KtAI.jpg

Ew. IGN states that it's the regular 3DS. Pass.

zroid

Banned
Isn't the bundle supposed to come with the XL 3DS? Online it looks like this..

vxM9OfO.jpg

but in the store it doesn't say anything about screen size or XL. Which one is gamestop selling? I don't want to buy it if it's the normal one.

That's for Europe only. The North American bundle is not an XL, although the system itself is arguably a lot nicer looking. It's an exclusive colour.

Gartooth

Finished the last chapter! (On Hard/Classic) Also went with
having Avatar finish off Grima so that I could enjoy everyone's big wet sloppy tears over my heroic sacrifice.

Overall it is an incredible game, can't wait for the DLC on Thursday so that I can power level the rest of my characters, because it eventually got to the point that the game just sent stupid amounts of enemy waves at me that I decided to just make my team comprised of tanks with high damage, and their spouse/kid as support.

Aside from the aforementioned leveling, I also need to marry some of the kids, didn't know that I could do that until now! Heck, just having fun with supports in general is probably what I am going to be doing for quite a while.

Not sure if I will ever do lunatic though, it sounds just plain stupid from what I have heard, and if I did I would certainly play it on casual instead of classic. (mostly so I can save in between battles)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Is there a hard/Casual mode?

There are 4 difficulties:

Normal
Hard
Lunatic
Lunatic+ (unlocked by beating Lunatic)

You can play each of these in Casual/Classic mode.

Casual mode has no perma-death and allows you to save at any point in battle.

Classic mode has perma-death and only allows you to perform quick saves in battle (saves which get automatically deleted once you load them). It's your classif FE experience.

Could be wrong about the no perma-death thing, but with being able to save at any point in battle and reload it as many times as you want to try out as many possibilities as you want, you shouldn't lose anyone. (I only play classic mode)

Gestahl

That's one problem with this game. :p

Normal is actually Easy, but Hard is Hard and Lunatic is Lunatic. But whatever it is, if you care about max-min, the game break pretty easily 2/3 of the way in.

Forget minmaxing I'm still amazed that simply handing a competent magic Robin a Nosferatu tome causes half the game to shatter into a million pieces even on Lunatic. Stark contrast from FE12's Lunatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom