• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

A friend (EB manager) did me a huge solid and hung onto a sealed returned copy of the game for me. I have it!

This'll be my first Fire Emblem. What am I in store for, friends?! And, any advice? Should I start out on Casual mode?

Left my 3DS back at home. Will play tomorrow night.

zroid

Banned
A friend (EB manager) did me a huge solid and hung onto a sealed returned copy of the game for me. I have it!

This'll be my first Fire Emblem. What am I in store for, friends?! And, any advice? Should I start out on Casual mode?

First off, awesome!

My suggestion is start off with Casual, while always keeping in mind that the "true" experience will be found in Classic. Therefore, if ever it feels right, you can simply play the game as if you were in Classic mode. Restart when units perish, or note when a unit dies and don't use it again. Keep your options open and do whatever suits you best.

Don't overuse Frederick. He's there as a crutch. Casual mode is fine, but don't go letting people die willy-nilly! That's not the Fire Emblem way! Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.

Also, it's now customary to use one space at the beginning of a sentence instead of two.

It's weird how reclassing from Dark Flier leads to mostly stat decreases across the board. Even more annoying when enemy Dark Fliers are one of the most dangerous enemies I face when doing risen battles.

I started playing the game in normal mode, since this is my first Fire Emblem, but after the first two battles I am starting to regret that decision, because it's mind-numbingly easy. Is there a way to switch modes after I've already started? Does the difficulty ramp up to a satisfactory level if I stick with Normal?

Boney

Banned
seems Libra and Lissa are OTP

you're just in for awesome

try not to abuse frederick in the first few chapters so your units have a chance to level up

and uh don't rush to your death i guess

I started playing the game in normal mode, since this is my first Fire Emblem, but after the first two battles I am starting to regret that decision, because it's mind-numbingly easy. Is there a way to switch modes after I've already started? Does the difficulty ramp up to a satisfactory level if I stick with Normal?

if you skip all the cutscenes and play without animations you'll reach where you was in like 20-30 minutes

OceanBlue

It's weird how reclassing from Dark Flier leads to mostly stat decreases across the board. Even more annoying when enemy Dark Fliers are one of the most dangerous enemies I face when doing risen battles.

I thought this was just me. I fought a random Risen encounter after I had just promoted a few of my units. The boss was a level 5 Dark Flier with Rexcalibur and Galeforce who could double-attack almost all of my units. I also didn't have any archers at the time, so that wasn't fun. :(

finally got my copy from amazon today. i would have had it a week ago, but i was out of the country and my mail was being forwarded, so it took some time for it to show up at the forwarded address. i'm just glad to have a copy with difficulty people are having in tracking this down. i'm super excited to dig into this!

Apdiddy

Question for those who completed the game/trying to do every paralogues:

I'm up to Chapter 17 but unlocked Paralogues 10 & 16. I try to tackle Paralogue 10 (Cordelia x Lon'qu are the parents) but Severa keeps freaking dying. Is a correct order to do the Paralogues with the main story?

Chuckpebble

I feel like you guys are gonna ask me to turn in my GAF membership for asking this, but...

What does min/max mean? In the context of this game and I guess the genre in general? This is my first FE.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
Normal is a perfectly fine place to start. If you think you'll be OCD over character deaths and stuff, pick Casual as well.

If hes a hardcore srpg fan like I am. I would recommend you to go in the highest difficulty and casual mode. Makes it more like Shining Force but thats just me.

If your casual fan, then yeah go normal.

Turok_TTZ

took me 3 days to beat this game on hard classic. just started a new game in lunatic classic... proceeds to get screwed over with two enemy crits in a row. this fucking game lol...

Turok_TTZ

I'm up to Chapter 17 but unlocked Paralogues 10 & 16. I try to tackle Paralogue 10 (Cordelia x Lon'qu are the parents) but Severa keeps freaking dying. Is a correct order to do the Paralogues with the main story?
try using a rescue staff for starters.

PK Gaming

tumblr_mih263QPnt1s5uhr8o1_500.png

tumblr_mih263QPnt1s5uhr8o2_500.png

tumblr_mih263QPnt1s5uhr8o3_500.png

Ok, now I see what you guys were talking about their supports. I can't stop laughing though XD

hate to triple quote but

yeah i love & hate this pair at the same time

Its funny, but I feel bad for both parties (especially when Severa shows up z_z)

I can imagine it now

Frederick: Shall I get the Chrom wig?
Cordelia: No! I mean yes, bring it now.

Javier

You can do the Paralogues in whatever order you want, whenever you want.

For Paralogue 10,
You can leave the map and go train Lon'qu and Cordelia. Severa's stats will grow alongside her parents' until you recruit her, so if she's powerful enough she can fend for herself (This actually works for all Children characters). Or you can use the Rescue Staff on her and move her out of harm's way.

scy

I feel like you guys are gonna ask me to turn in my GAF membership for asking this, but...

What does min/max mean? In the context of this game and I guess the genre in general? This is my first FE.

It's basically just referring to making the best characters. For this game in particular, it means pairing the right two characters to produce the best possible kid as far as stats, classes, and skills are concerned.

Though, realistically, true min/maxing here would be trying to make every be Sorceror's for Nosferatu/Aversa's access :x

Esura

Banned
Five + Endgame.

6 left. You're almost there.

Niiice. I think I'm done grinding now. I think my units can handle these remaining chapters no problem. Hell, Morgan alone should be able to handle the rest of the chapters no problem unless there is some crazy difficulty spike up ahead. Only kid I don't have is Inigo but I don't care about pairing Olivia with anyone at this point.

I'm having so much fun with this game I'm dreading going back to Bore no Kuni.

NeonZ

For Paralogue 10,
use a rescue staff to keep Severa from advancing. Also, remember to talk to her once and let her reach the villager before the end of the stage. At one point, some reinforcements arrive from those stairs in the center of the large central room, so, they care, or block those stairs with your own units.

Anyway, the children paralogue are very disorganized. Some can be tackled right after chapter 13 without grinding, others are clearly on a much higher level. Their numbers are mostly irrelevant. The two you've unlocked are among the harder ones though. You can attempt to beat them at any time, technically, but, depending on the difficulty mode you might need to grind/advance through the main story to become strong enough to beat them.

GeekyDad

Really liking Tharja. Killed her on accident during my first playthrough. She's a cutie, in spite of being a freak. Reminds me of my first girlfriend. :p

I wish they had included some difficulties between Normal and Hard and between Hard and Lunatic. I feel like the gaps between them are too big.
The previous game had Normal, Hard, Maniac and Lunatic, which was pretty much perfect.

However I get the feeling a lot of gamers ended up skipping Maniac, since it's essentially just another mode between Hard (where enemies begin to change) and Lunatic (the hardest).

Plus, the developers didn't include a reward for beating Maniac, but had one for the other difficulties.

Venfayth

I am trying not to read too much of this thread because I inadvertently spoil myself, but I just want to say that this game is amazing. Every time I play it, something interesting happens in the storyline. Every time I play it, I find something that I'm going to want to try doing differently in a replay.

Aghhhhhh. I'm really, really enjoying it.

Completely forgot who Kjelle was both before and during her Paralogue chapter. Only realized I neglected her after killing almost everyone and had to rush Chrom over to her before the chapter ended to actually recruit her.

Next time I'll pair Sully and Kellam together. Seems kinda appropriate after all that.

massoluk

Banned
It's basically just referring to making the best characters. For this game in particular, it means pairing the right two characters to produce the best possible kid as far as stats, classes, and skills are concerned.

Though, realistically, true min/maxing here would be trying to make every be Sorceror's for Nosferatu/Aversa's access :x

Talk to my Aether/Counter/Galeforce/Astra swordmen, bro.

Once you beat the game, you can still work on paralogues and such right? I just want to wrap things up before I go for a higher difficulty playthrough.

Jarate

Banned
Am I the only one who grinds his bench up to ao around the same level as my other guys...

I'm afraid of another radiant dawn situation I guess...

Put I think 25 hours so far and only on chapter 21

Am I the only one who grinds his bench up to ao around the same level as my other guys...

I'm afraid of another radiant dawn situation I guess...

Put I think 25 hours so far and only on chapter 21

I been doing that, since almost everyone has some use in passing down skills. Hell, I even use the random risen encounters in the lower stages to level up the DLC characters as well.

Let no EXP go to waste!

Once you beat the game, you can still work on paralogues and such right? I just want to wrap things up before I go for a higher difficulty playthrough.

Doesn't it seem like some of the paralogues are actually harder than the campaign? Or is that just me? Do you think they intended for the campaign to be played first?

Alex

I regret playing this game in normal. At a certain point it becomes way to easy I dont even use healers anymore. Go straight in an kill everything that moves misson complete. I guess it being my first fire emblem i choosed normal. If i ever go back to play other fe games ill choose the middle dificulty. I'm around chapter 15.

Normal is terrible to play, complete snore. Hard is a bit punishing early on but worth the slog to retain any challenge.

Giolon

I can't decide on Sniper or Bow Knight for Virion. He's married to Sully so I feel like giving him a horse would fit well. But snipers always turn out über. Decisions, decisions.

got my ass kicked a couple of times today on chapter 7. finally done. i try to level as many units as possible without grinding. it's hard to let go.

now on 8. clock is at 7 something.

Solune

Inferior hair colored avatar.
Lies, Green hair is best hair. <3 Tiki.
19th of goddamn April. RRGhghGHhgh
Are you getting the Bundle?
Please, I'm at 50 and only on Chapter 17.
lol I'm @ 50 and at the last chapter. I haven't recruited any children either...
How is that even possible lol
When I play, I try to suck the most out of each battle even though in this game you don't have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom