• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I regret playing this game in normal. At a certain point it becomes way to easy I dont even use healers anymore. Go straight in an kill everything that moves misson complete. I guess it being my first fire emblem i choosed normal. If i ever go back to play other fe games ill choose the middle dificulty. I'm around chapter 15.

Hard ends up the same way. Lunatic is difficult in the beginning, but I'm wondering how long that holds up.

ohlawd

frick I have no idea what to pass down for my female kids.

Males are easy - if the mom can get Galeforce, pass that shit down.

geez might just have to write down all available classes for my kids and see what's exclusive.

chrono01

holy crap I didn't know you can click on the kids' names.

omg this is really cool. Thanks.

You're welcome. Enjoy planning the whole inheritance thing!

I'm going through it now, as well, and even with this data I'm still having a rough time. I know as long as it's not unique then you shouldn't really worry about it, but despite this I'm still having difficulty deciding what I should/shouldn't pass down [other than Galeforce, which is an automatic YES!].

What I love the most about the music in this game is the little themes that appear in certain songs.

I think the entire "Id" series of tracks contains what I would call the Avatar's theme -- I totally didn't notice it until going back and listening on subsequent playthroughs. It's the first melody you hear when Chrom and Lissa find you in the field, and then becomes the music for the final boss
combined with the Fire Emblem theme

The song "It appears the capital was spared the chaos" has the same melody from "Such bonds are the true strength of this army", except in a different key.

Then there's what I call the Awakening theme, which appears in the title song, the menu music "Id (Beginnings)", most of the battle themes, "Don't speak her name!", "Shh... Easy now, girl" and probably a lot more in other songs I didn't mention.

I hope they put a medley of those themes in Smash 4.

ohlawd

You're welcome. Enjoy planning the whole inheritance thing!

I'm going through it now, as well, and even with this data I'm still having a rough time. I know as long as it's not unique then you shouldn't really worry about it, but despite this I'm still having difficulty deciding what I should/shouldn't pass down [other than Galeforce, which is an automatic YES!].

I already screwed up with Lucina. Forgot to pass down Luck +4 :/

I wonder what the general concensus is for Male-exclusive skills...
Axefaire and Rally Strength top tier, everything else (Wrath, Counter, etc) bottom tier?

chrono01

Axefaire and Rally Strength top tier, everything else (Wrath, Counter, etc) bottom tier?

I'm not sure. I've actually heard some pretty good things about Counter, and I rarely use the Rally Skills. Axefaire seems good, though, although it would be useless on a Class that doesn't use Axes.

I guess it depends on what you plan to do with the child. It's not an easy decision, though. >_<

Axefaire's great if the child has an axe using class.

Rally Strength isn't bad, it isn't useless but not exactly amazing so like a safe skill to pass down.

Counter is great for trolling streetpass encounters.

Wrath can be paired up with Vantage and Vengeance for that low HP boost.

Depending on the child and father, Sol and Axebreaker are also potential male exclusive skills if the child can't become a Hero.

Busaiku

One of the main reasons I racked up so many hours is I rarely turn off animations, even while grinding.
I'm doing it more often now, so it's going quicker, but I wasn't for like 40 hours.

One of the main reasons I racked up so many hours is I rarely turn off animations, even while grinding.
I'm doing it more often now, so it's going quicker, but I wasn't for like 40 hours.

Why would you do that to yourself? I think I turned off the animations after the prologue and never looked back. That stuff was interesting to watch back when they used 2D sprites, but now I don't even like it when they force you to watch the boss animations.

Neiteio

Why would you do that to yourself? I think I turned off the animations after the prologue and never looked back. That stuff was interesting to watch back when they used 2D sprites, but now I don't even like it when they force you to watch the boss animations.
You have to be speaking out of nostalgia. I'm new to the series, and those sprites you guys posted earlier are boring compared to the polygonal 3D battle animations we have in this game.

I don't anticipate turning off the animations. They're too sweet. I like speeding them up at key points with A, for critical hits that feel even more destructive.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Because you feel like a god when a critical/skill activates.

ohlawd

Axefaire's great if the child has an axe using class.

Rally Strength isn't bad, it isn't useless but not exactly amazing so like a safe skill to pass down.

Counter is great for trolling streetpass encounters.

Wrath can be paired up with Vantage and Vengeance for that low HP boost.

Depending on the child and father, Sol and Axebreaker are also potential male exclusive skills if the child can't become a Hero.

Didn't think about Vantage + Vengeance + Wrath.... that sounds really beastly.
Thanks for the info.

Sol is pointless if the child can access Life Taker right? Not to mention the other skill-based skills like Aether taking up space.

Should dealing more damage with Axefaire be a higher priority than getting a +50 Hit/Avoid boost with Axebreaker?

Drago

I have animations activated for my turn only' they're off for enemy and ally turns. I like to see my units doing the attacking, not being attacked :p

emb

This game has me spoiled. I refuse to turn them off, but since it lets you skip things on the fly, I always skip every battle and the enemy turn. I find myself accidentally pausing other games out of impatience.

And I agree, the sprites looked way better. This game does a lot to improve the 3D model style, but the animations in the GBA game were just top notch all around.

I really can't imagine how anyone plays with the animations on. I know that lots of people do keep them on; I just can't understand it. Battles must be soooo slow when every single action involves watching a short cutscene. And even if the cutscenes are kind of cool (as many feel the 2D animations were), they're still the same damn cutscene. Over and over. Hundreds of times through a game.

ohlawd

the 2D battles in the older games go pretty dang fast so I don't turn them off there. I turned off animations here though, sorry hahah.

and it's a shame they couldn't replicate the feel of getting a crit like from back then too. Not to mention that Generals were the best units ever (chained weapons, what the heck sooooo freaking cool)

Neiteio

Because you feel like a god when a critical/skill activates.

The feeling you get when you get Aether and Critical...
Or when someone blocks every single Astra hit.
This. Your partner leaping in to block the hit... The follow-up strike... The dodging... The retaliation... The critical strikes, your enemy shattering to pieces... The animations breathe so much life into what would otherwise be dull number-crunching, a roll of the dice. You can even switch camera angles (first-person view, even!), and ramp up the speed at the press of a button -- as I said earlier, I like to speed up the animation right before a crit, for an extra hard-hitting sense of impact. The animations in this game are godly.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
the 2D battles in the older games go pretty dang fast so I don't turn them off there. I turned off animations here though, sorry hahah.

and it's a shame they couldn't replicate the feel of getting a crit like from back then too. Not to mention that Generals were the best units ever (chained weapons, what the heck sooooo freaking cool)

YES, the chained weapons on the Generals were some of the best.

JoeFu

Banned
Or when Lethality procs.

Lethality is the sickest skill in the game, I love it. My Brady (Long'qu is the dad) has 40 skill and he proc'd it like 4 times the last battle. And whenever he doesn't proc Lethality he procs Astra lol. Also had no idea Astra could proc with bows, pretty fun to watch.

I really can't imagine how anyone plays with the animations on. I know that lots of people do keep them on; I just can't understand it. Battles must be soooo slow when every single action involves watching a short cutscene. And even if the cutscenes are kind of cool (as many feel the 2D animations were), they're still the same damn cutscene. Over and over. Hundreds of times through a game.

I have them on but only because of the characters quotes while performing a Skill/Critical. Like when a Tharja and Noire pair start laughing one after another against any unfortunate enemy in their way. That is incredibly satisfying to me.

Only games in the series I've actually ever had them turned off was FE11/FE12.

Marche90

Just a question.

Since by accident I deleted my save file I'm playing through the game for the third time. However, to spice things up, I'm going to change who gets married with Chrom and I'm going for Olivia this time.

Now, for the question: what are the requirements? I have paired already Sumia with Frederick, Mariabelle with Ricken and Sully with Stahl, so that's one of them out of the window. Now, do I just need to keep Chrom and Olivia glued together through the 11th chapter? How many actions do I need to take with them or having them together for a few actions works as well?

Also: I can't believe I deleted my save file. Oh, boy. 20 hours wasted.

I'm a huge fan of the GBA/DS games, and I miss the sprites.

The 3D just doesn't have that same feeling of.......epicness, for lack of a better word.

ohlawd

YES, the chained weapons on the Generals were some of the best.

Generals and Swordmasters (well duh :p) have my favorite crit animations.
Same with Lyn.

Now, for the question: what are the requirements? I have paired already Sumia with Frederick, Mariabelle with Ricken and Sully with Stahl, so that's one of them out of the window. Now, do I just need to keep Chrom and Olivia glued together through the 11th chapter? How many actions do I need to take with them or having them together for a few actions works as well?

Also: I can't believe I deleted my save file. Oh, boy. 20 hours wasted.

naw you got the gist of it. Getting a couple "hearts" pop up is good enough if you've already planned on pairing everyone else up before the chapter. You can pair them up and let Chrom do the attacking or let Olivia dance on Chrom.

You have to be speaking out of nostalgia. I'm new to the series, and those sprites you guys posted earlier are boring compared to the polygonal 3D battle animations we have in this game.

I don't anticipate turning off the animations. They're too sweet. I like speeding them up at key points with A, for critical hits that feel even more destructive.
Right, cause the only reason you could like 2D sprite work over 3D models that just move around and have the same animations as normal attacks for critical hits is because of nostalgia. Not because they're very exaggerated, manage to encompass the character art well, and they look great.
x5OktH3.gif

jwhit28

I'm a huge fan of the GBA/DS games, and I miss the sprites.

The 3D just doesn't have that same feeling of.......epicness, for lack of a better word.

I thought the DS game was the ugliest ones in the series. Awakening is nice though. The crit animations seemed toned down but other than that I like it.

Raw64life

Just got this in the mail today. First time playing a Fire Emblem game ever. Picking Normal was a no-brainer for me but I've been struggling on whether to go with Casual or Classic. I know everyone here will say Classic but my OCD is going to flare up big time if and when I actually lose people. I'm also not sure what a good strengh/weakness if and if keeping the default name of Robin matters at all. I mean, is he supposed to be Robin in the story, or did they just randomly pick that name? I usually go with whatever name the guy is supposed to have canon wise.

Drago

Chapter 5 of hard mode is kicking my ass

Waiting for the DLC on Thursday to help out with experience growth, I think I used Frederick a tad too much. Wouldn't have gotten through earlier chapters without him though :(
Maybe I just suck at the game. :/

Marche90

naw you got the gist of it. Getting a couple "hearts" pop up is good enough if you've already planned on pairing everyone else up before the chapter. You can pair them up and let Chrom do the attacking or let Olivia dance on Chrom.

Awesome, thanks. Now back to the game.

Wiz

Got some StreetPasses with a guy in my class today. Dude even had the shiny FE 3DS. It was pretty cool to meet a fellow FE fan.

With that being said, his squad is way more powerful than mine, so I'm not even thinking about challenging it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom