• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaiku

I ran into a Streetpass or Spotpass opponent that had Panne with Beaststone+.
Are those obtainable later in Hard, or is that a Lunatic item?

Didn't think about Vantage + Vengeance + Wrath.... that sounds really beastly.
Thanks for the info.

Sol is pointless if the child can access Life Taker right? Not to mention the other skill-based skills like Aether taking up space.

Should dealing more damage with Axefaire be a higher priority than getting a +50 Hit/Avoid boost with Axebreaker?

Sol and Life Taker are pretty much different skills since they have different activation requirements, where Life Taker can only activate once or twice during your twice while Sol can activate as many times as the RNG will let you in battle.

Though, if your child has gotten Aether, then there's no reason to pass along Sol.

Debatable. Both are situational. Really depends on if the child will be an axe user most of the time or facing lots of axe users.

Tiktaalik

Finally got a copy after weeks of looking.

I've never seriously played a Fire Emblem before. Are there any important "Do's and Don'ts" that I should be aware of before I start?

I've gone to the start of this thread and I'm skimming it now.

Neiteio

Right, cause the only reason you could like 2D sprite work over 3D models that just move around and have the same animations as normal attacks for critical hits is because of nostalgia. Not because they're very exaggerated, manage to encompass the character art well, and they look great.
x5OktH3.gif
Just to be clear, we're both talking about the pinprick-sized sprites that have square limbs and no discernible faces and kind of blockily tumble around as they flip through the air, right?

...I have a hunch a poll of people on the street checking out GBA battles and then 3DS ones would prefer the latter!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?

I've never seriously played a Fire Emblem before. Are there any important "Do's and Don'ts" that I should be aware of before I start?

+1 for me too.

My Lissa died and Sully died on the first paralogue I did...I assume I should just go back to the previous save.

zroid

Banned

I guess the main thing is don't overuse Frederick at the start of the game, however tempting it may be. The rest is up to you!

And make sure you're aware of which characters are able to support each other. Building those relationships is key (and also very rewarding).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You can press X to see the dangerzone (it'll be purple), use this to play safe and don't put anyone who might die in a position where they may.

ohlawd

Just to be clear, we're both talking about the pinprick-sized sprites that have square limbs and no discernible faces and kind of blockily tumble around as they flip through the air, right?

...I have a hunch a poll of people on the street checking out GBA battles and then 3DS ones would prefer the latter!

I am so offended for some reason lols.
Square limbs? This isn't FF7. I can give you no discernible faces but every character is made distinct from their outfits so you'll never have them confused with another. Kind of blockily? Are you kidding me man? The 2D battles are so smooth it shits all over this game. Watching the critical animation compilations brings tears to my eye, so good.

I rather just pair whoever lol. In the end, really the only skills that really matter is galeforce and armsthrift lol.

Others are nice, but not essential.

I did random pairings for my 1st and 2nd runs. I'm almost done my 3rd so I'd like to actually have some good kids for once (well they're already good to begin with, I just want them to be the greatest things ever for this file)

Neiteio

I am so offended for some reason lols.
Square limbs? This isn't FF7. I can give you no discernible faces but every character is made distinct from their outfits so you'll never have them confused with another. Kind of blockily? Are you kidding me man? The 2D battles are so smooth it shits all over this game. Watching the critical animation compilations brings tears to my eye, so good.
Imma bringin' my new-to-the-franchise perspective, son!

Post some of these sprites so I can analyze how shit they are!

Frolow

Banned
I'm even regarding the 3D models/sprites debate. On one hand the 3D models definitely look more lively, but on the other the sprites have a certain charm and looked slicker overall.

Also, my avatar just got married to Lissa. I'm royalty now bitches!

Neiteio

What's slick about this?

carlyle_swordmaster_sword.gif

eliwood_lord_sword.gif

hector_lord_axe.gif

lyn_lord_sword.gif

Utterly terrible. The Lyn one is literally the same static sprite flashing copies of itself. The Eliwood one pivots chunkily when he flips through the air, pausing at the hour positions of the clock. Nothing smooth there. There are ways to convey "dramatic slowdown" without such stilted animation. I can't fathom how someone wouldn't prefer the infinitely more detailed, built-out and lively 3D animations, but whatevs! I concede the sprites are OK... for GBA-era handheld technology.

OceanBlue

There are ways to convey "dramatic slowdown" without such stilted animation. I can't fathom how someone wouldn't prefer the infinitely more detailed, built-out and lively 3D animations, but whatevs! I concede the sprites are OK... for GBA-era handheld technology.

There are definitely better ways to convey "dramatic slowdown" than the super choppy animation in the GBA FE games. I still think they're still better than smooth-but-boring animations in Awakening.

Neiteio

Well for one thing, your spirte gifs are ridiculously slower than how the GBA games are.
Hmm, I just looked up the battles on YouTube and they are a lot faster in-game (viewing videos from The Sacred Stones). But still so primitive by comparison to Awakening, like the SkiFree skier with more frames of animation.

Seeing Chrom leap up into the air, twirling around with sword glistening before bringing down the death blow, shards of light scattering as the corpse pinballs off the ground and Chrom dramatically lands nearby... Shits all over the GBA games. From a great height!

NeonZ

I really can't imagine how anyone plays with the animations on. I know that lots of people do keep them on; I just can't understand it. Battles must be soooo slow when every single action involves watching a short cutscene. And even if the cutscenes are kind of cool (as many feel the 2D animations were), they're still the same damn cutscene. Over and over. Hundreds of times through a game.

That's why I like Awakening's battles, they really don't feel like "the same thing over and over". Yes, they lost critical specific animations, but this time each unit has multiple animations for their standard attacks, and mixing with double strikes and support they can result in quite a few variations.

zroid

Banned
The sprites are cute and colourful, but tbh I think the cg animations in Awakening are lot more visually interesting and dynamic than any sprite-based predecessor. There's certainly a place for sprites in modern games, but it would be a regression for the Fire Emblem series. My opinion.

Flame me if you want, I can take it!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The sprites are cave paintings compared to Awakening's Sistine Chapel.

LOL, hyperbole to the max, but it's true.

Pls

The FE sprites look so much better at full speed and are awesome to look at and you feel that impact of dealing a critical blow.

The reason why people loved those animations was due to how over the top the presentation was.

Models are the way forward but I feel they should replicate that presentation in regards to critical blows.

Kyuur

Man, I love me some Fire Emblem.

But there is nothing more rage-inducing than an instant-kill crit from a boss after clearing the whole map, or your Myrmidon critting his way through a thousand enemies and ending up killing himself.

I hate Fire Emblem. ;_;

Drago

The sprites are cute and colourful, but tbh I think the cg animations in Awakening are lot more visually interesting and dynamic than any sprite-based predecessor. There's certainly a place for sprites in modern games, but it would be a regression for the Fire Emblem series. My opinion.

Flame me if you want, I can take it!

I think sprites on the overworld, 3D in the battles is a perfect match. I'd prefer it if it stayed that way, at least for handheld titles.

GSR

Your stats can't drop re-classing via second seal... Can they?

The only change'll be caused by differences in base stats for the class. So a Knight will obviously have higher defense than a Myrmidon, but the Myrmidon has higher speed. So changing from one to the other might cause some drops.

Your stats can't drop re-classing via second seal... Can they?

You'll lose the difference between your current job's base stats and your new job's base stats. And also if any of your stats hits the cap of your new job. So if you go from promoted to basic, prepare to see a bunch of red drops after reclassing. Or going from a Dark Filer to like half of any other classes for some reason.

The game supposedly remembers your gained stats or whatever though.

You'll never advance in the story again. I know I haven't.
I have a weird thing about doing the Paralogues in numerical order, so I need to grind my supports and skills to properly set up each child. I'm definitely getting every character but I don't even plan on using many of the kids... x_x

Drago

So I bought the Golden Pack earlier today... (yeah I'm a wuss)

I played the Golden Gaffe today and made 14k gold on my hard file and 30k+ gold on my normal file. I feel like I'm cheating. :p
Mostly got the pack for EXPonential Growth, but 2 other packs for technically $3.50 seemed like a good deal to me. I also thought that the pack would give you all three DLCs at once but they just unlock when the singular packs go up. A bit of a bummer, but at least the pack I wanted most comes out really soon. (Thursdays, right?)

I have a weird thing about doing the Paralogues in numerical order, so I need to grind my supports and skills to properly set up each child. I'm definitely getting every character but I don't even plan on using many of the kids... x_x

trust me you will the kids are amazing

San Tacos

Neo Member
Chapter 9 was really good! I felt pumped to keep on playing after completing it.

I really leveled up my dudes a lot and now the game is feeling too easy. I think I'm going to stop all extra grinding for a while and just stick to story chapters. I don't want the game to be a complete cake walk. I mean, I'm already debating just stopping where I am and start up a Hard mode save file.

Or just power through the game and stop grinding up levels. Maybe the game will catch back up to me at some point.

I don't know what you're talking about. Those aren't pin prick sprites, they manage to represent the original character designs very well for the hardware they're on. They are not blocky or tumble around poorly.

You can poll anyone you'd like, it doesn't change the fact that using nostalgia as a reason to dismiss an opinion is bullshit.

Utterly terrible. The Lyn one is literally the same static sprite flashing copies of itself. The Eliwood one pivots chunkily when he flips through the air, pausing at the hour positions of the clock. Nothing smooth there. There are ways to convey "dramatic slowdown" without such stilted animation. I can't fathom how someone wouldn't prefer the infinitely more detailed, built-out and lively 3D animations, but whatevs! I concede the sprites are OK... for GBA-era handheld technology.
It's an after image, it's used in anime, manga, comics, television and all sorts of media to show a sense of extreme speed, which Lyn is all about. Eliwood pierces and does a flip getting back to his original position as if it was nothing, which is fantastic, it's very smooth actually. And I can't fathom how someone could call this terrible and think feetless character models that clip through each other and reuse the same attack animations for every thing and start off the same way every time are infinitely detailed and lively, but y'know, opinions, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom