• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
trust me you will the kids are amazing
I know they are the best characters in the game, I just don't really care for the majority of their designs. My part is made up primarily of characters I like on a personal basis.

Once I play their Paralogues, maybe their personalities will grow on me, but right now I only plan on really using Yarne, Nah and maybe Brady & Gerome.

Neiteio

Very much agreed. That was actually one of the (many) reasons my Avatar proceeded to fall for Tharja so hard.
Tharja has the best crit quips. "YOU'RE ALREADY DEAD." "HEHEHE."

Also, I have all these hot chicks from the future -- Cynthia, Lucina, Severa, etc -- but I don't really care for many of the future dudes (except for the masked fellow who looks like a medieval Batman).

I mean, I -could- marry some of them off to present-day characters... But crossing timelines is weird... And Henry's a creep.

L Thammy

what is going on in this thread
I think it's some sort of polygon-fueled meltdown.

On a more serious note, I have yet to see a single attacking animation that looked particularly fierce or stylish. I like Donnel's end-battle animation and Chrom pulling his sword from the ground, but the majority of the animations in the game have no personality at all.

Cut ins are nice and all, but I've seen them in SRW already. And SRW usually has a lot of style on top of that.

johnsmith

remember me
Tharja's a great character in a game full of great characters. I love her B support with MU. Totally reminded me of the Modern Family episode where Gloria tries to speak with a proper English accent.

I know they are the best characters in the game, I just don't really care for the majority of their designs. My part is made up primarily of characters I like on a personal basis.

Once I play their Paralogues, maybe their personalities will grow on me, but right now I only plan on really using Yarne, Nah and maybe Brady & Gerome.

your gonna love
gerome the batman wyvern lord and the kids will probably grow on you there personalities are quite funny just give em a chance :)

I think it's some sort of polygon-fueled meltdown.

On a more serious note, I have yet to see a single attacking animation that looked particularly fierce or stylish. I like Donnel's end-battle animation and Chrom pulling his sword from the ground, but the majority of the animations in the game have no personality at all.

Cut ins are nice and all, but I've seen them in SRW already. And SRW usually has a lot of style on top of that.

while i Do agree with you in that SRW has a lot of style and flash i feel that kind of game needs it while F.E doesnt need it that much lol plus whenever i see srw games i feel its more sprite based animation then model animation

your gonna love
gerome the batman wyvern lord and the kids will probably grow on you there personalities are quite funny just give em a chance :)
I'll give everyone a chance, but my army is already full of people that I love. It's gonna be hard to make room for more.

But everyone will get enough training to see their supports and to be a decent unit.

Finished the game:
lost Virion and Cherche. Thought it was fitting to lose someone during the final battle.

I thought the ending was sweet and fitting . Loved the little character epilogues at the end, sad some of the marriages didn't seem too perfect.

Two questions:

1) what's the deal with Morgan? The game implies she's from another timeline.

2)so did Chrom find the Avatar at the end?

I'm still a little uncertain about who or what the Acatar was.

Also how is it that Lucia is a young adult during Grimas attack in her future, but when Grima awakes, she's still a baby?

PS- what do I do know? This game has been my life for 4 weeks.

I feel like I am cheating on the whole permadeath rule. Frederick got killed in one hit and I shut my 3ds down so fast he couldn't even finish his dying words. Haha I should start living with the consequences of my actions but I want to keep everyone alive.

PK Gaming

Whoa you guys both have PK in your names.

And what the hell, I'm the bad guy?

Wait, this is kind of cool. I'm now picturing your guys' sprites lining up on the grid outside my sprite. And you're all lv. 1 and I'm lv. 500. And in battle you're all boogery sprites and I'm a glorious 3D model descended from heaven.

he's the Mad King Ashnard :p

also i'd be using 3D characters chief

kswiston

Old school FE sprites are better than the pre-rendered/polygon models because they don't take 9 years to finish their animation. I didn't mind the GBA battle animations, but have had to play with those battle animations off on every game since then. I preferred Path of Radiance/Randiant Dawn's approach to attack animations, where you could turn off the cutscene battle animations, but still have a short animated attack on the main map. It's sort of lame that the games since RD just have your unit bump into the enemy as an attack if you turn battle animations off. Still better than sitting through the animations though.

Neiteio

I feel like I am cheating on the whole permadeath rule. Frederick got killed in one hit and I shut my 3ds down so fast he couldn't even finish his dying words. Haha I should start living with the consequences of my actions but I want to keep everyone alive.
Yeah, I think it kind of defeats the point of permadeath weaving your own unique tale if people just reset and treat starting over as a severe penalty for death (yet not as severe as if you'd accepted the character's death). Seems like the purist approach would be to always continue on once you lose a guy, as though they were, well, permanently dead.

Solune

People have pretty much covered everything I need to say about the sprites.

The Awakening models, on the other hand, are so bland in comparison. Just generic walk up and slash animations for most classes. Sprites had more style. They cut out the walking frames and you get an old-school sense of speed. Watching a Warrior or General waddle across the screen to dual attack a 2-range enemy is almost cringeworthy.

Most importantly, critical hits are so disappointing in Awakening. Swordmasters used to make speed illusions. Generals used to twirl their huge weapons. Heroes threw their shield up, caught it in mid-air, and dunked your face. There was flair and style. Now, you just get some cheapo cut-in of their face, followed by a half-assed walk up and slash motion but with PURPLE.

To be fair, the models do have nice touches of their own. Having multiple animations is nice. The bow's double jumping attack is pretty cool. Astra looks good, too.

Yes, thank you for this post, it's everything I wanted to say in verbal form. Even since the reveal trailer I've always said the models were of low quality.

One thing that I have to hand to IS is that they tried to keep the attack animations faithful to their 2D counterparts, like with how Cavaliers turn their body before attacking. The level of detail that they went into with Dual Attacks and Guards is a nice touch. So with what effort they've put into the interaction is good, the models and animation aren't up to par.

Yeah, I think it kind of defeats the point of permadeath weaving your own unique tale if people just reset and treat starting over as a severe penalty for death. Seems like the purist approach would be to always continue on once you lose a guy, as though they were, well, permanently dead.

Yeah you're right. Next time I won't be so weak.

PK Gaming

Finished the game:
lost Virion and Cherche. Thought it was fitting to lose someone during the final battle.

I thought the ending was sweet and fitting . Loved the little character epilogues at the end, sad some of the marriages didn't seem too perfect.

Two questions:

1) what's the deal with Morgan? The game implies she's from another timeline.

2)so did Chrom find the Avatar at the end?

I'm still a little uncertain about who or what the Acatar was.

Also how is it that Lucia is a young adult during Grimas attack in her future, but when Grima awakes, she's still a baby?

PS- what do I do know? This game has been my life for 4 weeks.

1) Yes she's from another timeline. There's a DLC scenario that covers this, but I also think its because MU can technically marry the child units to create her, and it isn't possible possible in the main timeline.

2) Yes he did, the mark of grima is gone and Chromsays "welcome back" IIRC

3) Grima was awoken sooner, probably via "evil Grima MU" who set things in motion

4) keep playing :D

I preferred Path of Radiance/Randiant Dawn's approach to attack animations, where you could turn off the cutscene battle animations, but still have a short animated attack on the main map.

That was a nice middle ground. I don't mind the "bumping into each other" map animations, the full swing and dodge were nice. And they didn't screw up the pace of the game or make battles interminable.

Moonlight

Banned
It's so hard to do man. I've had her and Lon'qu ready for S rank for the last three chapters. I just can't do it ;_;
She'll always be your S-Rank in your heart of hearts.

(also this is the one advantage to Anna being unable to S-Rank with anyone but the Avatar)

She'll always be your S-Rank in your heart of hearts.

(also this is the one advantage to Anna being unable to S-Rank with anyone but the Avatar)

Gah. Glad I read this. Thought her and Gregor would be a cute couple. :(

Something I wish I paid attention to sooner was that you can't just buy Master Seals by the buckets when you're ready (at least before chapter 12). I now have five people that are level 20 that I want to switch over and now I don't have the seals. Bleh.

What's a tsundere? I keep seeing that term in Fire Emblem threads. Is that an anime thing?

its basically an anime character archtype its a character who is mostly associated with twin tails and has a very sharp and unkind tongue on the outside but is actually really nice. kinda like hiding her true feelings behind a facade of sorts (hopefully someone can explain this better than i can cuz i feel i butchered it -3-)

its basically an anime character archtype its a character who is mostly associated with twin tails and has a very sharp and unkind tongue on the outside but is actually really nice. kinda like hiding her true feelings behind a facade of sorts (hopefully someone can explain this better than i can cuz i feel i butchered it -3-)

I get it. Thanks.

I do prefer the 3D attack animations over the 2D stuff in FE6/7/8.

The GBA attack animations were really cool, but Radiant Dawn's animations beat it, I think.

This game's animations are... yeah... pretty disappointing. Some of them are pretty cool, though.

Awakening's best animation is getting lethality with an axe equipped.

Severa literally threw herself at so many enemies like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom