• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drago

I mean, I'm already debating just stopping where I am and start up a Hard mode save file.

This is what I did after I felt that normal/casual was just too easy.

Trust me, Hard mode is a big step up in difficulty. Almost too much for me to handle, but that's with Classic turned on. I'd probably be doing a lot better if I was playing with Casual and not having anxiety over lost units.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Chapter 9 was really good! I felt pumped to keep on playing after completing it.

I really leveled up my dudes a lot and now the game is feeling too easy. I think I'm going to stop all extra grinding for a while and just stick to story chapters. I don't want the game to be a complete cake walk. I mean, I'm already debating just stopping where I am and start up a Hard mode save file.

Or just power through the game and stop grinding up levels. Maybe the game will catch back up to me at some point.

Chapters 9-11 are some of my favorites.

Neiteio

The old GBA sprites look like SkiFree. I'm quite happy the future appears to be the dynamic 3D models.

(Don't get me wrong, though, SkiFree is awesome.)

I don't know what you're talking about. Those aren't pin prick sprites, they manage to represent the original character designs very well for the hardware they're on. They are not blocky or tumble around poorly.

You can poll anyone you'd like, it doesn't change the fact that using nostalgia as a reason to dismiss an opinion is bullshit.

It's an after image, i can't fathom how someone could call this terrible and think feetless character models that clip through each other and reuse the same attack animations for every thing and start off the same way every time are infinitely detailed and lively, but y'know, opinions, right?

while i do find the gba sprites to be pretty damn awesome at times that( paladin crit with seth) is amazing i feel in even in the gba games they reuse a lot of the animations isnt lyn's special crit similar to the sword master crit just with a lot more extra slashes?

for me what makes awakening more appealing is that the weapons change you can see what the weapon actually looks like instead of getting a stock weapon base ( im not sure about lyn,eliwood,hector, i think the get special weapon sprites if they use thier special weapons?) while everyone else just gets a stock attack thats just my opinion from playing the gba games and awakening also cut ins seriously i love that they added cut ins in awakening it just gives it that extra hell yeah feel

also i still dont get the complaints about the feet thing to be honest its a chibi style the feet usually look like that particular style (huge heads and smaller bodies is a prominent choice) as for the feet clipping thing i hardly notice it unless i zoom the camera in and purposely trying to look for it

Drago

Also, the best thing about Golden Gaffe is that it uses music from FE7. :D

That's next on my list to play after I finish hard mode. I got up to chapter 7 or 8 in that one, I think, before I stopped playing for whatever reason... I want to try and play through the entire series now after this game.

cjkeats

Finished it tonight. Did the last battle in 2 turns. (playing on Normal)
I just flew myself and chrom up on Cordelia and Cherche and bumrushed Grima.

28:58:27 on my in-game clock.

I quite liked the little stories at the end, especially mine.

Neiteio

while i do find the gba sprites to be pretty damn awesome at times that( paladin crit with seth) is amazing i feel in even in the gba games they reuse a lot of the animations isnt lyn's special crit similar to the sword master crit just with a lot more extra slashes?

for me what makes awakening more appealing is that the weapons change you can see what the weapon actually looks like instead of getting a stock weapon base ( im not sure about lyn,eliwood,hector, i think the get special weapon sprites if they use thier special weapons?) while everyone else just gets a stock attack thats just my opinion from playing the gba games and awakening also cut ins seriously i love that they added cut ins in awakening it just gives it that extra hell yeah feel

also i still dont get the complaints about the feet thing to be honest its a chibi style the feet usually look like that particular style (huge heads and smaller bodies is a prominent choice) as for the feet clipping thing i hardly notice it unless i zoom the camera in and purposely trying to look for it
Yeah, and personally I find it hilarious people nitpick the feet in Awakening (not some clipping issue as best I can tell, but just the chibi-esque style I perceived them to very naturally and organically have, from the start), when the sprites in the GBA games barely have discernible limbs of ANY sort -- just tiny rectangular arms and legs with blob-like circles denoting hands and feet. I'll take the Awakening models over that, thank you kindly!

Marche90

Finished it tonight. Did the last battle in 2 turns. (playing on Normal)
I just flew myself and chrom up on Cordelia and Cherche and bumrushed Grima.

28:58:27 on my in-game clock.

I quite liked the little stories at the end, especially mine.

Escentially the same text that I got when my Avatar married Cordelia. While I loved the end text, I'm just a bit disappointed by the lack of variation. I hope that it changes somewhat with Lucina or Tiki, both of whom are my targets for my current playthrough...

Yeah, and personally I find it hilarious people nitpick the feet in Awakening (not some clipping issue as best I can tell, but just the chibi-esque style I perceived them to very naturally and organically have, from the start), when the sprites in the GBA games barely have discernible limbs of ANY sort -- just tiny rectangular arms and legs with blob-like circles denoting hands and feet. I'll take the Awakening models over that, thank you kindly!

lol to be fair the general sprites in the gba games were hella amazing i loved the generals in that game i just hated they became faceless -3- and the lord sprites are preety detailed those horses are amazing :p

Escentially the same text that I got when my Avatar married Cordelia. While I loved the end text, I'm just a bit disappointed by the lack of variation. I hope that it changes somewhat with Lucina or Tiki, both or whom are my targets for my current playthrough...

unfortunately i think they stay the same regardless :( i think the biggest criticism i have for this games is that a lot of the supports for the kids and the endings were generic i dont know how they were like in the past F.E's since getting S's in that game took a long time and the overall lack of supports with characters past the first half

It is neat that you can see different weapon models.

Honestly, the feet thing doesn't bother me at all (the constant clipping of paired characters sort of does though). That post just really annoyed me with the nostalgia comment, the sort of way a new fan of the later FFs saying the sprites of the SNES FFs are bad would.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Now, now game. If you're going to give me the option of pairing people up romantically, don't then go ahead and make sure I know Sumia is the canon pairing for Chrom. How am I suppose to choose otherwise with a good conscience?

Also, everytime she trips I think of Aeana's avatar despairing

Neiteio

It is neat that you can see different weapon models.

Honestly, the feet thing doesn't bother me at all (the constant clipping of paired characters sort of does though). That post just really annoyed me with the nostalgia comment, the sort of way a fan of the later FFs saying the sprites of the SNES FFs are bad would.
I started to identify with your analogy, but then I realized it was my OWN nostalgia making the 16-bit FF sprites look better. Looking at the old FF sprites strictly objectively, they don't hold up to the bordering-on-CGI models of more recent games... Even if the games themselves were better. Which was the point I (most politely and sincerely) meant to make: If you just look at what's actually there (talking Awakening vs. GBA now), the newer ones are just far more detailed, dynamic, etc. You can see individual pieces of clothing, weaponry and armor, and you can make out facial features, fine details, etc. It's all silky smooth, all dynamically shot. Of course people are entitled to their preferences, and I guess there's an... abstract appeal to the compact sprites of old, but just from my viewpoint, as a newcomer to the series, it's hard to see how anyone would want to go -back- to sprites after what frankly seems like a massive evolutionary step forward in the form of 3D battles. It actually looks like people battling now.

Now, now game. If you're going to give me the option of pairing people up romantically, don't then go ahead and make sure I know Sumia is the canon pairing for Chrom. How am I suppose to choose otherwise with a good conscience?

Also, everytime she trips I think of Aeana's avatar despairing

according to my friend he became a "shipper" after this game cuz lol this game everyone is non canon but
gerome and cynthia

PK Gaming

What's slick about this?

carlyle_swordmaster_sword.gif

eliwood_lord_sword.gif

hector_lord_axe.gif

lyn_lord_sword.gif

Utterly terrible. The Lyn one is literally the same static sprite flashing copies of itself. The Eliwood one pivots chunkily when he flips through the air, pausing at the hour positions of the clock. Nothing smooth there. There are ways to convey "dramatic slowdown" without such stilted animation. I can't fathom how someone wouldn't prefer the infinitely more detailed, built-out and lively 3D animations, but whatevs! I concede the sprites are OK... for GBA-era handheld technology.

Damnit man, stop being a hater and just enjoy the classic goodness

also the US sprite for Lyn, pour vous:

Bladelord.gif

i can't believe that this wasn't originally in the japanese version

Damnit man, stop being a hater and just enjoy the classic goodness

also the US sprite for Lyn, pour vous:

Bladelord.gif

i can't believe that this wasn't originally in the japanese version

honestly that backflip is kinda hilarious i dont know if thats in the gba version but from what the gif was showing me it looked like she hit the enemy so hard she froze in place and just flipped in the air with the same pose dont kill me :p

I started to identify with your analogy, but then I realized it was my OWN nostalgia making the 16-bit FF sprites look better. Looking at the old FF sprites strictly objectively, they don't hold up to the bordering-on-CGI models of more recent games... Even if the games themselves were better. Which was the point I (most politely and sincerely) meant to make: If you just look at what's actually there (talking Awakening vs. GBA now), the newer ones are just far more detailed, dynamic, etc. You can see individual pieces of clothing, weaponry and armor, and you can make out facial features, fine details, etc. It's all silky smooth, all dynamically shot. Of course people are entitled to their preferences, and I guess there's an... abstract appeal to the compact sprites of old, but just from my viewpoint, as a newcomer to the series, it's hard to see how anyone would want to go -back- to sprites after what frankly seems like a massive evolutionary step forward in the form of 3D battles. It actually looks like people battling now.
Here's the thing, I don't think 3D models are an evolution of 2D sprites. I think they're two completely different styles, sometimes they're caused or created by a limitation or advancement of the hardware, other times they're a perfectly valid way to design the visuals of the game around.

honestly that backflip is kinda hilarious i dont know if thats in the gba version but from what the gif was showing me it looked like she hit the enemy so hard she froze in place and just flipped in the air with the same pose dont kill me :p

Nah, the gifs are just pretty terrible.

They look better in the GBA games cause there was flash and it just wasn't happening in a vacuum of white space.

kswiston

Alright, I am on Endgame for my first playthrough, on normal/classic (I like things to be laid back the first time through). For my second playthrough, should I go with hard or lunatic? I have played a lot of Fire Emblem games before (4, 6-13) but I have typically stuck to the normal difficulty except in a couple of cases like Hector's mode in FE7.

How big of a difficulty spike am I looking at for the two tougher modes? For reference, I would rate normal/classic about a 3/10 for difficulty (with my goal of keeping everyone alive). Radiant Dawn's normal mode would probably be around a 6/10.

Doorman

I think you meant the bolded as sort of an offhand explanation for it, but really I think that's part of the charm that people do find in the GBA sprite animations. They are a bit more abstract, more over-the top. You say that the animations in Awakening are a lot smoother because they use actual character models instead of drawn sprites--and that's very true--but the little oddities and the "jerkiness" at times is a part of what makes the sprites so appealing. Each movement feels kind of staccato-stylized and that punchiness isn't something that IS has managed to recapture with the 3-D models. I think there's plenty of room to love the strengths of both while acknowledging that neither style has been completely perfected yet.

Neiteio

Here's the thing, I don't think 3D models are an evolution of 2D sprites. I think they're two completely different styles, sometimes they're caused or created by a limitation or advancement of the hardware, other times they're a perfectly valid way to design the visuals of the game around.
Ah, OK. I can see it that way. Like with Zelda games, there's a certain charm to top-down 2D sprites, and a certain charm to 3D models, as well. I just think, in this case, the 3D battles are so exciting to look at -- the camera shifts about dramatically, spells flare up particle effects, shards of light scatter when you crit and enemy, their body bouncing limply off the ground, your fully modeled charcter blazing past with cape fluttering and shield clanging, twirling his sword at the end with nary a missing frame, every detail fully visible. Horse-mounted characters sometimes lunge and sometimes run away and double back, even hurtling past enemies on occasion in a running strike. Flying units sometimes rise into the air before striking; other times, they dash forward unexpectedly. There's a fair bit of variety before you even get into the possibility of partners blocking hits or retaliating in kind. But at this point, I'm getting back to what originally kicked off this tangent: I wouldn't want to skip the animations, lol. :)

Neiteio

I think you meant the bolded as sort of an offhand explanation for it, but really I think that's part of the charm that people do find in the GBA sprite animations. They are a bit more abstract, more over-the top. You say that the animations in Awakening are a lot smoother because they use actual character models instead of drawn sprites--and that's very true--but the little oddities and the "jerkiness" at times is a part of what makes the sprites so appealing. Each movement feels kind of staccato-stylized and that punchiness isn't something that IS has managed to recapture with the 3-D models. I think there's plenty of room to love the strengths of both while acknowledging that neither style has been completely perfected yet.
Hmm... OK. I'll concede that's a fair point, the bit about the punchiness of the sprites being preferable to some. Although I think Awakening's battles have plenty of bite to them, too, especially when you speed up animations right before a crit and feel like your character just obliterated the enemy in a single swipe. :)

Alright, I am on Endgame for my first playthrough, on normal/classic (I like things to be laid back the first time through). For my second playthrough, should I go with hard or lunatic? I have played a lot of Fire Emblem games before (4, 6-13) but I have typically stuck to the normal difficulty except in a couple of cases like Hector's mode in FE7.

How big of a difficulty spike am I looking at for the two tougher modes? For reference, I would rate normal/classic about a 3/10 for difficulty (with my goal of keeping everyone alive). Radiant Dawn's normal mode would probably be around a 6/10.

from what i hear hard mode is not that difficult as well (if you grind a bit it gets to become the normal mode kinda) i would personally put it at a 6/10 or 5/10 based on certain missions

however on the other hand i have heard lunatic and
subsequent lunatic plus mode
are a lot harder and ramp up the difficulty a lot

Gestahl

Nah, the gifs are just pretty terrible.

They look better in the GBA games cause there was flash and it just wasn't happening in a vacuum of white space.

You mean tiny sprites look radically more different on a 2 inch gameboy screen than in a blank void on a massive monitor!?

Neiteio

I already disagree with just about everything Neoteio says, but calling the Fire Emblem GBA animations "terrible"? Sheer madness.
Man... You were SO close... SO close to spelling my username correctly.

I hear there's a special circle of hell reserved for FE sprite haters. >=(
:-\

You mean tiny sprites look radically more different on a 2 inch gameboy screen than in a blank void on a massive monitor!?
Just humor them, they live in a crazy alternate dimension where the blob-like sprites are superior to fully rendered and animated models (well, sans feet, or so I'm told).

So I bought the Golden Pack earlier today... (yeah I'm a wuss)

I played the Golden Gaffe today and made 14k gold on my hard file and 30k+ gold on my normal file. I feel like I'm cheating. :p
Mostly got the pack for EXPonential Growth, but 2 other packs for technically $3.50 seemed like a good deal to me. I also thought that the pack would give you all three DLCs at once but they just unlock when the singular packs go up. A bit of a bummer, but at least the pack I wanted most comes out really soon. (Thursdays, right?)

I am a total noob at this game so I honestly don't know how I would get enough money to outfit my army otherwise. The money distribution is brutal in this game, so for me the Golden Gaffe balances it out for me. That said, I got a couple of characters that are absolute war machines. Miriel and Virion can light it up, and now they are both on horses......

Starting to settle on pairings to try and work towards getting them to have children. When you start to get in the B and especially A rank of a relationship those stat bonuses really start to get absurd.

I hear there's a special circle of hell reserved for FE sprite haters. >=(

i like some of the sprites sword masters/heroes and generals in particular (beserkers and sages are pretty cool too) but i find some of the lords (the ones on the horses in particular to be kinda boring (lyn and hector aside)

Solune

Yupyupyup. I also love some of the quotes said when you get a crit.

"TO THE ABYSS WITH YOU."

Yeah, I really like that track. Chapter 10 was fantastic.
Chapter 10 is the best chapter in the game, that's not to say the other chapters don't match up but, every note was hit perfectly.
So when you reach level 20 in a promoted class, should you just go ahead and use Second Seal to get more exp?

Yah, and to get more skills as well.

Well besides the fact that there's random slowdown in all the gifs posted here, I say they look better as how they meant to with all that battle data, backgrounds and weapon effects.

Neiteio

Well besides the fact that there's random slowdown in all the gifs posted here, I say they look better as how they meant to with all that battle data, backgrounds and weapon effects.
I checked YouTube and the sprites do animate much more smoothly in the actual game. (For reference, I checked videos of The Sacred Stones.)

Still kind of resemble flickable boogers, though.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
People have pretty much covered everything I need to say about the sprites.

The Awakening models, on the other hand, are so bland in comparison. Just generic walk up and slash animations for most classes. Sprites had more style. They cut out the walking frames and you get an old-school sense of speed. Watching a Warrior or General waddle across the screen to dual attack a 2-range enemy is almost cringeworthy.

Most importantly, critical hits are so disappointing in Awakening. Swordmasters used to make speed illusions. Generals used to twirl their huge weapons. Heroes threw their shield up, caught it in mid-air, and dunked your face. There was flair and style. Now, you just get some cheapo cut-in of their face, followed by a half-assed walk up and slash motion but with PURPLE.

To be fair, the models do have nice touches of their own. Having multiple animations is nice. The bow's double jumping attack is pretty cool. Astra looks good, too.

Jarate

Banned
are people in this thread seriously hatin on the GBA sprites!?

compared to the battle animations that we got from many other gba/2d rpgs, these were astounding. They were also really badass looking at the time

Kenai

After you see their "romantic" conversations that conscience thing will clear up real quick-like.
"THREE pies? Marry me, woman!"
My eyes, they rolled.

To be fair, they were an absolute beastly terror paired up on the battlefield so it wasn't all bad.

Neiteio

The Awakening models, on the other hand, are so bland in comparison. Just generic walk up and slash animations for most classes. Sprites had more style. They cut out the walking frames and you get an old-school sense of speed. Watching a Warrior or General waddle across the screen to dual attack a 2-range enemy is almost cringeworthy.

Most importantly, critical hits are so disappointing in Awakening. Swordmasters used to make speed illusions. Generals used to twirl their huge weapons. Heroes threw their shield up, caught it in mid-air, and dunked your face. Now, you just get some cheapo cut-in of their face, followed by a half-assed walk up and slash motion but with PURPLE.

To be fair, the models do have nice touches of their own. Having multiple animations is nice. The bow's double jumping attack is pretty cool. Astra looks good, too.
The GBA sprites look like boogers.

are people in this thread seriously hatin on the GBA sprites!?

compared to the battle animations that we got from many other gba/2d rpgs, these were astounding. They were also really badass looking at the time
Not hatin', just saying they've been so far outclassed by the fully rendered battles of the here and now.

This is life.

This is death.

This is sprites vs. 3D.

L Thammy

I'm still early on (just got Gaius), but it looks like it's time to think about reclassing. Now I'm worried that the game already will be over by the time my characters are halfway to broken.

Neiteio is probably just using the words backwards. I don't think preferring 3D to 2D is a thing that can happen.

I checked YouTube and the sprites do animate much more smoothly in the actual game. (For reference, I checked videos of The Sacred Stones.)

Still kind of resemble flickable boogers, though.

those blur effects are kinda cool bro :p and the hero crit sprites badass man throwing a shield in the air like you just dont care.

Also for me i think what makes the awakening crits better is that they all come accompanied by a cut in seriously hearing things like pick a god and pray or Checkmate just makes that crit or skill feel so much more epic i feel if they werent there i would have also found the crits in this game really boring :p

Most importantly, critical hits are so disappointing in Awakening. Swordmasters used to make speed illusions. Generals used to twirl their huge weapons. Heroes threw their shield up, caught it in mid-air, and dunked your face. There was flair and style. Now, you just get some cheapo cut-in of their face, followed by a half-assed walk up and slash motion but with PURPLE.

while i do agree with the crits being boring in awakening (the generals still do the twirl thing if you use a spear btw and i also miss the sage,beserker,paladin,swordmaster and hero crits) i did find the cut ins to be exciting and not cheap. I felt the cut ins and the things the characters say gave the crits a different kind of flavour then what the sprites did. while the sprites were able to add flair and style i felt the cut ins and voicing added tension and its own flair. [gerik yelling out pick a god and pray while critting someone would have been god like :p ]

and personally aside from some slow down in the speed i did like the fact they added the characters having the need to walk to attack it felt to me like i watching a real battle instead of seeing 2 chess pieces going at it (i felt like that sometimes while playing the gba version)

I do think the 3D models look very nice, but I really can't call them outright better when the critical animations are so dull compared to the sprites flying all over the damn place and just going nuts. Hell, that's one of the reasons I love the Swordmaster class so much, which is completely absent in Awakening.

That's definitely my main complaint with the models in this game. All the flash is gone. I didn't mind that the basic class were basically walk up and smack, but when the promoted classes were basically the same animation with new armor, I definitely feel that IS slacked off in that department.

The spirtes gave the classes characters. None of the mages attacked the same. Sages did a little dance. Bishops had their staff powers. Druids used their flowly robes. Valkyries gathered power in their hands. Here, everyone does a little spin here and there.

I don't even like the whole skidding parts of battle. Yes, it makes it flow faster but when Kellam is sliding across the battlefield, it looks cheap now.

Neiteio

9nJlRvY.png

i'm so bad at using shop
Whoa you guys both have PK in your names.

And what the hell, I'm the bad guy?

Wait, this is kind of cool. I'm now picturing your guys' sprites lining up on the grid outside my sprite. And you're all lv. 1 and I'm lv. 500. And in battle you're all boogery sprites and I'm a glorious 3D model descended from heaven.

Kenai

those blur effects are kinda cool bro :p and the hero crit sprites badass man throwing a shield in the air like you just dont care.

Also for me i think what makes the awakening crits better is that they all come accompanied by a cut in seriously hearing things like pick a god and pray or Checkmate just makes that crit or skill feel so much more epic i feel if they werent there i would have also found the crits in this game really boring :p

Very much agreed. That was actually one of the (many) reasons my Avatar proceeded to fall for Tharja so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom