• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do prefer the 3D attack animations over the 2D stuff in FE6/7/8.

The GBA attack animations were really cool, but Radiant Dawn's animations beat it, I think.

This game's animations are... yeah... pretty disappointing. Some of them are pretty cool, though.

Awakening's best animation is getting lethality with an axe equipped.

Severa literally threw herself at so many enemies like that...

axes with leathality is strangely hilarious severa spinning in mid air like sonic the hedgehog put a big smile on my face

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
axes with leathality is strangely hilarious severa spinning in mid air like sonic the hedgehog put a big smile on my face

Lol, yeah, I loved it.

Especially when (spoilers if you haven't beaten chapter 25)
she killed Aversa with it, and Aversa goes "that could have felt better" when she died...

I laughed out loud so hard at that

GSR

Just had my first real screwed-by-the-RNG moment so far.

Chapter 23,
nobody but Validar left. Attack him with Chrom/Avatar combo. Chrom Aethers, Validar's down to 3 HP. Avatar attacks and misses. Validar triggers Vengeance and one-hits Chrom on a 60% hit chance. Chrom would have killed him for certain on the second hit.

These games sometimes.

Lunar15

Owain is basically amazing. I regret that he is not my son.

Dammit Gerome, why can't you be less like Batman and more like Owain? You're a disappointment, son.

I swear, my family is pretty fucked up. Neither me nor my daughter have their full memory, my son is moody as hell, we have two dragons, and my wife tries to pair up wyverns through a matchmaking service.
I call it "Married with Wyverns"

zroid

Banned
I feel like I need to start constantly surrounding MU in a posse of four adjacent units and a paired unit to even have any hope of getting his supports filled up.

Am I supposed to get avatar teams showing up on my world map without StreetPassing?

Some of those are SpotPass maps

Kiryu

Any advice for Chapter 19?

My group got wiped out (killing Chrom)
When we got out of the castle (We are on the bottom covering 8 castles) cause (top castles on map) where enemies were spawned to come down or make me force my unit to go finish them off before they kill one of my healer. THEN I finished them off but I got guard off then they spawned 8 enemies from castle I covered earlier because I moved my units up to kill them off. Bad Strategy by me.

That's my problem. :/

I am doing Hard/Classic though.

lingiii

Banned
Ha, just saw the Gaius x Libra B support and it was great.
A lot of the same sex supports are superb.

I agree. Especially with Gregor; man I love everything about Gregor.

So I was cruisin' on through this game, but fuck if some of those
children
recruitment Paralogues aren't working me over. Only done a few, and none of them clean (lost civilians, etc).

Also, are any of the
kids
worthwhile?
Seems like "no fucking wonder the future went to shit if your whiny brats were charged with the defense of all. beast kid and dragon kid both are straight cowards.

friz898

Just finished this game.

This was my first Fire Emblem. It was great. The best SRPG I've played since Final Fantasy Tactics in 1997.

I've done about 8 paralogues, and figured I would do them all since I was enjoying the game so much, but once again, I beat a game, and I instantly have no desire to do any side quests and extras afterwards.

Outstanding game though! Can't say enough good things about it. Pretty much only doing the main story, except for the few paralogues I mentioned netted me just shy of 30 hours.

I agree. Especially with Gregor; man I love everything about Gregor.

So I was cruisin' on through this game, but fuck if some of those
children
recruitment Paralogues aren't working me over. Only done a few, and none of them clean (lost civilians, etc).

Also, are any of the
kids
worthwhile?
Seems like "no fucking wonder the future went to shit if your whiny brats were charged with the defense of all. beast kid and dragon kid both are straight cowards.

Literally all of them easily surpass their parents afaik.

zroid

Banned
Tried to weaken a boss with MU, ended up massacring it D:

Was going to get it down to single digit hp and then finish it off with a weaker unit, but not only did the paired unit with low probability support jump in, ensuring the boss' death, MU got another low probability crit on its second attack.

Insult to injury. Almost gained two full levels right there, thanks to Veteran! But MU is already way overleveled compared with nearly everyone else.

Moonlight

Banned
Also, are any of the
kids
worthwhile?
You will quickly learn that the
children
(honestly this is a pretty open secret at this point) are some of the best that the game to offer in both characters and stat growth. Just to give you a quick summary,
they inherit the last skill that each of their parents get - if the mother just got Galeforce and the father just got Astra, they're starting out with both Galeforce and Astra. Their initial stats gain bonuses based on their parent's stats and their growth rates are the best of both worlds from each parent. They are, in a word, ridiculously powerful if you take the time to nurture them a bit. All of them will wind up surpassing their parents.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I made Lissa my wife and just finished the 2 side-quests after it. It was awesome because I was low on units after that Paralogue 18 mission.

Frosteey

Neo Member
Was thinking of doing a second playthrough as a female avatar. I'd there much different as a female?

You have a million hair options and they are all better than anything men get. Sadly a looot of the supports are really similar to the male ones with the same characters. And your kid is the dopiest looking dope kid ever. I hate his dumb fat face.

You do get the option to marry Stahl though. Or Gregor. Virion.

Chrom if you want but I hated the C through A supports with him. This option does have some impact on a story scene though.
Lucina scene is the big one I know of, might be more though

For me the question mostly comes down to whether I want my character or Morgan to look derpy, and I have no great love for Morgan so he is a necessary sacrifice.

Played on classic lunatic difficulty the first day I got the game, chapter 7 and it so intense. RIP Virion... He's a great archer though.
Played another one on classic hard and bootcamp-ed Donnel into the damn beast, paired it all the time with Sulli as she gonna be his future wife and oh my freaking banana!! Level 30: with full critical lance and javelin forged to the max, this pan helmet kid is so badass that he could beat all badies in
chapter 11 map including the boss Gangrel the Mad King
with a single touch!!!! And he just.... A Villager class lol

Donnel ganging with Sully, Virion, Cordelia, and few additional long range class. It could beat Ike the Hero like a piece of cake.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Just want to say the General's in this game look stupid. GBA General's forever. I like my armored behemoth with triple shoulder plating, menacing helm, my chain-locked weapons and how each footstep would make the screen tremble in fear.

Other then that and the toilet armor I like the designs.

And the Dark Mage designs have seen better days.

Also I miss the old dark magic sound effects. :(

Dark Druid always made an awesome sound doing it's critical, so eery and sinister and awesome to hear.

AniHawk

inigo montoya turns into a hero? fuck that shit. i made that guy a swordmaster like his dear ol' dad.

marrying off the next gen kids

morgan x inigo
cynthia x gerome
laurent x severa
owain x noire
nah x yarne

morgan x inigo and nah x yarne are two that felt right. not so sure about gerome and cynthia. owain and noire don't seem to be producing the type of chemistry i was expecting. i miss god of thunder noire.

morgan is walking-fucking-DEATH. lucina is as well. the only one from the first gen that compares is donny.

Esura

Banned
Going on Chapter 21 and they are just tossing enemies and reinforcements on you left and right. And my non-Morgan/Lucina units seem to be getting dented up despite being higher leveled. I think its my equipment...I'm using Silver weapons with the exception of Sniper Noire, Lucy, and Chrom.

IrishNinja

okay so im lazy/sleeping on this awesome looking game for now, and notifications keep saying GET THIS FREE MAP IN GAME but when i look for options, there's just spotpass stuff...granted im still in chapter 1, do i gotta unlock this or am i just missing something?

okay so im lazy/sleeping on this awesome looking game for now, and notifications keep saying GET THIS FREE MAP IN GAME but when i look for options, there's just spotpass stuff...granted im still in chapter 1, do i gotta unlock this or am i just missing something?

Get to somewhere around chapter 4 and you unlock the ability to get DLC.

Soulhouf

Chapter 18 question:

Is there a way to spare Yen'fay?
I already reset twice and tried to talk to him with his sister and Chrom and it seems the only way is to fight him to see a conversation.
But the way he dies is identical to other important characters and that's why I'm convinced you can recruit him but I can't find a way.
So, what's the secret?

Chapter 18 question:

I already reset twice and tried to talk to him with his sister and Chrom and it seems the only way is to fight him to see a conversation.
But the way he dies is identical to other important characters and that's why I'm convinced you can recruit him but I can't find a way.
So, what's the secret?
You can't save him.

Mr. Fix

Chapter 18 question:

So, what's the secret?

You can't recruit him there. Assuming we're following Japan's spotpass chapter releases, we'll get him in 5 weeks.

Hero

Chapter 18 question:

So, what's the secret?

He will be able to be recruited in an upcoming SpotPass DLC map.

GeekyDad

RIP donnell. Lost his life too soon going up against a dark knight.

:) Not using him at all this playthrough, though he was a lot of fun in the first.

As an aside, Gaius and Maribelle's support conversations are pretty interesting so far. I didn't use either of them in my last game but am building them up this time around to marry. Definitely some juicy bits of side story there.

Tom_Cody

I just completed Chapter 9 and I got my first Master Seal and Change Seal. Does this thread have any advice on how I should use these and on class changes in general?

Sully is my favorite character and I already have her completely maxed out (level 20, A in lance and sword) so she would seem to be a natural choice to start with.

Is it better to let someone get to level 20 and/or max weapon levels before changing classes? Most of my other characters are only around level 12-15 so I hesitate to change anyone else's class immediately if I would be better off waiting.

tuffy

Trying to get Donnell up to speed makes even normal mode more of a challenge. I've got to whittle down enemies to just enough HP that he can still finish them off, while ensuring there's no other enemies in range to take a shot at him. And nobody dies. And everybody sticks close to whoever I want them paired up with for maximum hearts.

Everything's gotta be perfect, all of the time.

I love how different two playthroughs of FE can feel. On my first run Kellam didn't get used enough and eventually became completely worthless, while this time around he's one of my best units early on. That's the best kind of replay value.

I just completed Chapter 9 and I got my first Master Seal and Change Seal. Does this thread have any advice on how I should use these and on class changes in general?

Sully is my favorite character and I already have her completely maxed out (level 20, A in lance and sword) so she would seem to be a natural choice to start with.

Is it better to let someone get to level 20 and/or max weapon levels before changing classes? Most of my other characters are only around level 12-15 so I hesitate to change anyone else's class immediately if I would be better off waiting.
If you have a character maxed at 20 they should definitely be your first priority for promoting since they can't gain EXP and stats. There isn't too much downside to promoting at less than 20 (and the upside is quicker access to more skills) but I'd advise against it because you gain EXP at a slower rate as a promoted unit. Generally speaking a good route is to get a character to 20 in their first class, promote, and then do whatever you want from there on.

Don't worry about weapon levels, they'll carry over from class to class and aren't related to your level at all.

Nohar

You don't have to worry about weapon levels. You can still level-up them after a promotion.
Now, it is widely considered better to level up a character to level 20 before promoting him. Your character will end up with better stats, since he will have more occasions to level up. Also, a promoted character will earn less experience than an unpromoted one. So, unless you're aiming for particular skills and know exactly what you're doing, it's safer to wait until a character reached his 20th level.
Though, there are exceptions : namely, Cleric characters if you don't want to heal ad nauseum until they reach their 20th level, and Donnel, who gains amazing stats boosts upon promotion.

Tom_Cody

I love how different two playthroughs of FE can feel. On my first run Kellam didn't get used enough and eventually became completely worthless, while this time around he's one of my best units early on. That's the best kind of replay value.

If you have a character maxed at 20 they should definitely be your first priority for promoting since they can't gain EXP and stats. There isn't too much downside to promoting at less than 20 (and the upside is quicker access to more skills) but I'd advise against it because you gain EXP at a slower rate as a promoted unit. Generally speaking a good route is to get a character to 20 in their first class, promote, and then do whatever you want from there on.

Don't worry about weapon levels, they'll carry over from class to class and aren't related to your level at all.

You don't have to worry about weapon levels. You can still level-up them after a promotion.
Now, it is widely considered better to level up a character to level 20 before promoting him. Your character will end up with better stats, since he will have more occasions to level up. Also, a promoted character will earn less experience than an unpromoted one. So, unless you're aiming for particular skills and know exactly what you're doing, it's safer to wait until a character reached his 20th level.
Though, there are exceptions : namely, Cleric characters if you don't want to heal ad nauseum until they reach their 20th level, and Donnel, who gains amazing stats boosts upon promotion.
Thanks guys. One more question. I don't know exactly how to phrase this, but what are the reasons to switch classes (using a Second Seal) vs. upgrading (using a Master Seal)?

I default to Sully so much that I think I am going to switch Sully to a Wyvern Rider before upgrading to the next tier of classes. What say you gaf?

Anteo

Thanks guys. One more question. I don't know exactly how to phrase this, but what are the reasons to switch classes (using a Second Seal) vs. upgrading (using a Master Seal)?

I default to Sully so much that I think I am going to switch Sully to a Wyvern Rider before upgrading to the next tier of classes. What say you gaf?

Switching clases allows you to access new Skills. The skills can be used by any class as long as the unit has learned it and have it equiped. For example, one of my pegasus knight has Astra, a skill unique to swordmasters. What I did is go from Swordmaster to Dark Flyer using a second seal, and now this unit has acces to both Swormaster and Dark Flyer skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom