• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

This's my horrible plan to get all the kids:

Chrom and Sumia = Lucina and Cynthia
Lissa and Virion = Owain
Olivia and Gregor = Inigo
Maribelle and Libra = Brady
Sully and Stahl = Kjelle
Cordelia and Henry= Severa
Cherche and Kellam = Gerome
Panne and Vaike = Yarne
Miriel and Frederick = Laurent
Nowi and Ricken = Nah
Gaius and Tharja = Noire

Yes I know most of them are bad, but I had great results with weird couples like an assassin Gaius and a sorcerer Tharja.

You can salvage Noire by making her into a Knight. She actually ends up being pretty beastly, or so says my friend.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Are units allowed to get a non-marriage version of an S rank conversation with other characters after they've already been married? Or does it only go up to A after that?

Chrom

Are units allowed to get a non-marriage version of an S rank conversation with other characters after they've already been married? Or does it only go up to A after that?

I believe the S ranks are omitted for the other candidates once it's been reached with someone, so it'd just be A.

Wilsongt

I think the whole idea of having Spotpass DLC that
brings back dead characters as units is a dumb idea. Maybe if it was non-canon or something, but what it basically does is undermine a lot of the story and significance placed on certain character deaths.

Except that this has been the case with FE6 and FE8.

Before/after the final chapter, trial maps open up that basically allow you to recruit certain normally non-recruitable characters to use.

scy

You can salvage Noire by making her into a Knight. She actually ends up being pretty beastly, or so says my friend.

There's really nothing wrong with Gaius x Tharja (+2 STR, +3 MAG, +2 SKL, +4 SPD, -4 LCK, +1 DEF, +1 RES for Noire). Realistically, the only "better" stat options are the caster husbands but +2-3 MAG isn't worth losing Galeforce.

Discounting the Avatar, I'd say Gaius is the best option for a Galeforce Noire.

vctor182

Either Stahl has really good stats when promoting him to Great Knight or Frederick is really weak.

Stahl - Great Knight Lvl. 1
Str 27
Mag 3
Skill 19
Spd 13
Lck16
Def 26
Res 4

Frederick - Great Knight Lvl. 9
Str 18
Mag 2
Skill 18
Spd 12
Lck 9
Def 17
Res 6

scy

Frederick just has pretty bad stats. Essentially, the difference between a Level 10 Promote and a Level 20 Promote (+/- RNG).

The only thing that keeps him from truly being a terrible long-term unit is reclassing lets you get around that whole low starting stat issue as he has regular stat caps.

PK Gaming

There's really nothing wrong with Gaius x Tharja (+2 STR, +3 MAG, +2 SKL, +4 SPD, -4 LCK, +1 DEF, +1 RES for Noire). Realistically, the only "better" stat options are the caster husbands but +2-3 MAG isn't worth losing Galeforce.

Discounting the Avatar, I'd say Gaius is the best option for a Galeforce Noire.

oh good call

i forgot about gaius passing down godforce

Nah doesn't look good with orange hair. Its probably the only thing I regret from pairing Gaius x Nowi together.

At least she's already wiping out enemies with Lethality.

NeonZ

Frederick just has pretty bad stats. Essentially, the difference between a Level 10 Promote and a Level 20 Promote (+/- RNG).

Frederick is more like a Level 5 Promote, somehow, which is why he lags behind other units in spite of actually having decent growths. His base stats are just very low compared to any promoted unit you can get. Reclassing and grinding allows one to overcome that, eventually, but, if you look at his max stats,you can run into his "-2 spd and lack of any really fast classes" barrier, with Paladin and Griffon Knight being his options with highest speed and even those not being all that fast. Donnel has -1 in spd too, but his class set is generally faster, with the slowest option for him still matching Frederick's fastest option in spd.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My Gaius can hook up with Nowi or Tharja, can't decide which. Only option I have for either kid to get Galeforce. Both seem like they could turn out good with him.

He's the game's Jeigan/Jagen, so he's weak.

To expand on this in FE games you usually start with a unit that is promoted and very powerful for the early game. But they have lower stats than than a promoted unit that had to gain levels in its previous class in order to promote.

They are there to fall back on in case you need them. You should not rely on them though because they soak up experience that your weaker characters need to become stronger (they will eventually surpass the Jeigan/Jegan). Because you can reclass in this game, you could reclass Frederick so he can gain levels in an unpromoted class so his promoted stats aren't bad.

My Gaius can hook up with Nowi or Tharja, can't decide which. Only option I have for either kid to get Galeforce. Both seem like they could turn out good with him.

Who did you hook Donnel and Gregor with? Those are the only 3 who can pass the pegasus class to females (and male MU).

Draxal

You didn't waste Gregor btw, only avatar/gaius/donnel could pass it down. In all honesty, they're both good units, but Tharja's kid can go dark magic, and dark magic wins. It's what I did, and honestly, there's a decent amount of people suggest Gaius/Tharja in this thread and other places, it's also a pretty fun support.

scy

Who did you hook Donnel and Gregor with? Those are the only 3 who can pass the pegasus class to females (and male MU).

Gregor should pass down Troubadour/Valkyrie/War Cleric from his Barbarian class (same with Henry), not Pegasus Knight.

You didn't waste Gregor btw, only avatar/gaius/donnel could pass it down. In all honesty, they're both good units, but Tharja's kid can go dark magic, and dark magic wins.

But Nah is adorable!

Picturing her trying to catch a Wyrmslayer, so good.

About the SpotPass paralogues (spoilers about character deaths)...

In Yen'fay's case, the Yen'fay that Say'ri knew is dead. This guy's from another timeline.

Emmeryn also loses her memory and can't speak like she used to.

I also don't see why the paralogues can't be canon. If you marry characters from them, does that make Morgan not canon?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

In Yen'fay's case, the Yen'fay that Say'ri knew is dead. This guy's from another timeline.

I also don't see why the paralogues can't be canon. If you marry characters from them, does that make Morgan not canon?

Morgan is kind of a special case. Morgan is like from a different future of a different future then the ones the others are from.

Not saying the paralogues can't be canon, it's just the one user was complaining about it.

NeonZ

It's not so much "they can't be canon" and more like "people hope they aren't canon". Some of them do have consequences or explanations for the survival of the characters, but then you get ones like the very first one, with
Gangrel's completely unexplained survival.
. I guess the unexplained ones aren't very different from Oliver's random return in Radiant Dawn though...

Either way, Morgan basically doesn't have a canon version. Even the official illustration showed both male and female at once, and they avoid giving any background to him with his amnesia and the possibility that he came from a third unknown timeline.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Finally S ranked most of my crew:
Stahl x Cherche
Maribelle x Henry
Lissa x Vaike
Cordelia x Lon'qu
Gaius x Sully
Kellam x Olivia
Panne x Gregor

I was waffling over Cordelia or Tharja but figured there's always the next playthrough if I end up regretting it. Oh yeah, my other ones were Chrom x Sumia, Donnel x Nowi, and Ricken x Miriel. Not sure who I'll end up using, but I'm ready to finish the game finally lol

Gregor should pass down Troubadour/Valkyrie/War Cleric from his Barbarian class (same with Henry), not Pegasus Knight.

But Nah is adorable!

Picturing her trying to catch a Wyrmslayer, so good.

I just double checked and you're right. I have no idea why I thought Gregor could pass it on.

scy

Donnel/Nowi is the OTP of original generation, because it's the only one that doesn't creep me out involving her.

The S-Rank dialogue irks me.

"We're married!"
"YIPPEEEEE"

Either way, Morgan basically doesn't have a canon version. Even the official illustration showed both male and female at once, and they avoid giving any background to him with his amnesia and the possibility that he came from a third unknown timeline.

Maybe it's just the female Morgan route but I think that
exploring the ruins with her father alone should mean that it's a different timeline, right? I mean, he should be dead

Ferrio

Banned
Still early in the game, haven't even gotton to the part where you can change classes BUT It's going to be really hard to not marry obvious couples together. I'll just feel like a dick, but I don't want to be cookie cutter.

Just an FYI I don't know if the game is still in limited supply but I ordered a copy off of BestBuy.com yesterday and got an email letting me know it has been shipped today.

The
Emmeryn
one really sort of eviscerates the emotional impact of
the climax of the Plegia arc
, though. I don't mind the other ones, in fact Gangrel and Chrom hashing out their differences is neat, but the spoilered one is really unnecessary, I think.

Happily, even loading them into your game is totally optional, so!

So if I want to keep leveling up, I have to class down then back up at level 10? Kinda sucks because I lose like a third of my stats leveling down to Dark Mage from Sorceror, and none of the other classes can use Dark Magic, right?

So if I want to keep leveling up, I have to class down then back up at level 10? Kinda sucks because I lose like a third of my stats leveling down to Dark Mage from Sorceror, and none of the other classes can use Dark Magic, right?

If you get all the way to 20, you can reclass as what you already are without downgrading your class.

Chrom

It's just Dark Mage and Sorcerer, yeah. There's a Shadowgift skill that enables the use of dark tomes, but it's exclusive to only a few characters.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You didn't waste Gregor btw, only avatar/gaius/donnel could pass it down. In all honesty, they're both good units, but Tharja's kid can go dark magic, and dark magic wins. It's what I did, and honestly, there's a decent amount of people suggest Gaius/Tharja in this thread and other places, it's also a pretty fun support.

Guess I'll give that a try. Even though I've about gotten through the main game Dark Magic still hasn't stuck out to me as particularly great, but that's probably because I haven't given Henry a shot and my Tharja is barely capable of magic at all (and when she does use Nosferatu or Ruin she always has like 50% hit rates and bad damage output when she does hit). Cordelia is a Sorcerer now for Vengeance since she's already hit 20 in Dark Flier, so maybe she'll sell me on it.

If you get all the way to 20, you can reclass as what you already are without downgrading your class.

This is true, but I'm not really sure why you would want to do that. I'd rather get some other skills than repeat a class. Only reason I would go back to a class is if I didn't have anything worth getting left in any of the others and wanted to finish out in a particular class. And by that point you're probably close to the caps anyway.

Which makes me wonder, what happens if you go from, say, a General (with really high Str and Def) to a Swordsmaster (with lower Str and Def caps). Do those stats over the cap just vanish or can you keep going through classes and get all your stats around 50+ (or 60+ with Limit Breaker)?

Edit: So stats stay at the caps but the game remembers the max a stat has been so it can go back up if you change to a class with a higher cap. That makes sense.

scy

Well, you can go Sorceror -> Sorceror. Especially since going down to Dark Mage will mean you're grinding levels for no gain due to the base class having such low stat caps that you get nothing per level.

That said, why not just go to a different class and grind out that way? This way you can get some extra skills (e.g., Sorceror -> Sage for Tomefaire) in the process.

Busaiku

It's still really stupid that Cordelia is obsessed with Chrom, yet can't have any supports or anything.
Supposedly it's a reference to the 1st Fire Emblem where some girl couldn't hook up with Marth right?
But that game didn't allow for every other unit to get paired up or anything like that, so this is just really annoying.

It would've been better if it was like one of the male cast in that position or something.

It's still really stupid that Cordelia is obsessed with Chrom, yet can't have any supports or anything.
Supposedly it's a reference to the 1st Fire Emblem where some girl couldn't hook up with Marth right?
But that game didn't allow for every other unit to get paired up or anything like that, so this is just really annoying.

It would've been better if it was like one of the male cast in that position or something.

She'll find love in someone else's arms.

zashga

Nearing the end of my second play through (hard/casual), and I'm loving some of the characters I missed out on last time. Nah has already capped most of her stats after reclassing from 30 back to 1 once, and she's an unstoppable killing machine. Inigo and Severa aren't quite as gamebreaking, but they're very well written. I love how replayable this game is. I haven't started (and completed) a second playthrough this soon after the first with any game since Radiant Dawn.

Is there any character that can reclass into Soldier, or is that an NPC-only class? I didn't even realize until this playthrough that you could reclass some characters into Barbarians/Berserkers.

Chrom

Is there any character that can reclass into Soldier, or is that an NPC-only class? I didn't even realize until this playthrough that you could reclass some characters into Barbarians/Berserkers.

No playable Soldiers in this game.

Just cracked the 50hr mark and I'm still on ch17.

Reclassing the entire family (Mark, Tharja, Noire, Morgan) so that they'll have the best skills available when changing them back into Sorcerer's is taking up so much time.

IS has no love for Soldiers. Halberdiers need to make a comeback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom