• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrom

How does the DLC, spot pass stuff work?

I made a detailed explanation of what SpotPass entails if you wish to read it. From a different thread.

SpotPass is a type of wireless communication that allows 3DS users to download content via the Internet, for free. As seen with games such as Dead or Alive Dimensions, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and New Super Mario Bros. 2, said content is not really new, but rather is content that is already developed or has a basis of data that is already established in accordance to the game and is able to be modified. The same holds true with Fire Emblem Awakening. Fire Emblem Awakening offers a ton of SpotPass content.

Upon the release of the Japanese version of the game, Nintendo began distributing SpotPass teams. There are now, as originally announced, 120 different SpotPass teams, which are organized into 12 groups of 10 teams, and the 12 groups are all (except for one) themed after a particular Fire Emblem game. Each of the 10 teams of the 12 groups consist of one particular legacy character from the past games, who leads a group of generics, and may be interacted with in pretty much the same manner as you would with an Avatar that you meet through StreetPass. Each group is initiated to appear manually via what's known as a Download Box, once Nintendo releases that group for distribution, with each team appearing on their own one after the other for the next couple of days after you summon that group. This means that, over the months after the game came out, Nintendo let you get 120 returning characters to recruit.

At the same time as when Nintendo began releasing SpotPass teams, they also started to distribute unique Dual Tag teams for the player to face off against in Dual Tag, the game's local multiplayer mode. These new SpotPass challenges are generally much more difficult than the ones initially available, but completing them nets you better rewards, including powerful weapons and Fame points, the latter which is used to earn even more items.

Not long after, Nintendo would also begin offering powerful weapons directly to the player via the Download Box. There are twelve in total, including Luna (FE2), Tyrfing (FE4), and the Double Bow (FE10). Once they're available, you take it for use in your save file.

In addition, over the months after the release of the Japanese version of the game, Nintendo "unlocked" the ability to access a number of exclusive SpotPass sidequest chapters that relate to the game's story and let you recruit specific characters who you couldn't before from them, with the only prerequisite being that you needed to reach a certain point in the game to reach them.

Or, in short, SpotPass gets you free characters, multiplayer challenges, weapons, and even sidequest chapters. Everything will have their own release date so there's going to be something to look forward to getting for the next several months.

Now, with DLC, there's an area in the game you can go to where you can purchase additional maps, which are practically even more sidequest chapters. Varying from legacy settings to unique and utterly brutal challenges, these DLC maps typically offer rewards that you can't get anywhere else, like classic characters with a new look, new skills, and even items that allow you to access all new classes. There's well over dozens of different DLC maps to be eventually made available for purchase in the future, so I hope you may find what you like out of them.

The very first map, Champion of Yore 1 (offering the Marth character as a prize for beating), will be available for free for a limited time upon the official release of the game. Check that out if you can.

Moonlight

Banned
Picked the game up from my local EBGames. Not very far yet (only about an hour after the demo portions), but what I can say for certain is that this game is amazing.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The presentation really took a step up with this release. I never played the GameCube titles but I was playing Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones recently.

The animations are really well done, I'm surprised. Also the voice work in English isn't bad!

Did they change the support system? Can you have more than 5 per playthrough?

I got one with Chrom and Tactician as well as Sully and Sephiroth.

Doorman

Did they change the support system? Can you have more than 5 per playthrough?

I got one with Chrom and Tactician as well as Sully and Sephiroth.
Bahahahaha.

You can support as much as you want apparently, but you can only have one S rank.
Good to keep in mind. I won't be freaking out over giving some people supports just because they wind up near each other out of convenience, then.

Vamphuntr

After all the years of language delays, this is the best moment since the infamous Vagrant Story recall.

(But in reality Nintendo should just immediately move up the release date. Ridiculous)

I don't think there was a street date for this, only a ship date. We were lucky this time since our version shipped before the US one.

Will be picking up mine tommorrow. Got the call way too late >.>

BD1

Banned
I really wish Nintendo would enable digital pre-order, with auto download at midnight.

I have a coast-to-coast flight on Feb 4th in the morning, 8 am. I have to be up early to get to the airport and I,d like to not have to wait until midnight for it show up on the eShop.

...Still, I'm pretty excited the timing worked out where I'll be able to play on the flight. Makes it much more bearable.

chrono01

So I received my copy today, but I'm a bit apprehensive over starting. I hear so much about getting married and choosing partners, and I'm really not sure if there's some way I can screw it up. Like, if I choose a particular partner will it drastically hurt/alter my stats, or is it kind of one of those things where it really doesn't matter [I've decided to play as the Male]?

I've heard that as long as you don't accept/complete the final mission that you could take your time grinding Support for S-Rank's [outside of
Chrom, who supposedly marries in Chapter 11 regardless
]. Is partner choice super-important, or can I just play through the game and make these choices arbitrarily?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just beat the first optional chapter. I had to do it five times, or so, a few times because of stupid mistakes and a couple times because of single stat level ups. Enjoying this game vveeeeeeerry much.

iavi

So I received my copy today, but I'm a bit apprehensive over starting. I hear so much about getting married and choosing partners, and I'm really not sure if there's some way I can screw it up. Like, if I choose a particular partner will it drastically hurt/alter my stats, or is it kind of one of those things where it really doesn't matter [I've decided to play as the Male]?

I've heard that as long as you don't accept/complete the final mission that you could take your time grinding Support for S-Rank's [outside of
]. Is partner choice super-important, or can I just play through the game and make these choices arbitrarily?

Just know that Tharja is your ava's main squeeze.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I've only managed to play about an hour of it so far but I'm liking it so far.

Got a headache though so had to stop D:

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Undesirable rolls upon level up. Like Sully gaining one point in Defense and nothing else.

If I get a really terrible level up, or two at the very beginning of a chapter, I'll often restart. If it's near the end, I'll let it slide.

Just Unlocked the support conversations. Frederick and Crom level C is already hilarious.
Frederick putting
"Morale Boosting" posters with a naked Crom on it in every tent
was the highlight.

Saprol

Oh, good stuff. Wouldn't have known Canadian Gamestops would sell the moment they got stock. Picked up my preorder now.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
:O

Do you just restart the stage until you get what you want? How do you tell which characters should get what.

All the characters have their own growth rates for each stat. I don't restart chapters as much as some people. For certain units, like those with low Strength growth rates, some people will constantly reset until they get a +Strength level up, since it can make a big different for Peg. Knights and Archers, which sometimes suffer from low strength growth. Some characters will easily max out specific stats, while struggling to gain in others. You could look up guides to growth rates, but I'm personally not using a guide for my first playthrough.

I'll more, or less accept any sort of well balanced level up though. I don't sit there farming for specific stat growth. I just restart for terrible level ups near the beginning, since it's not wasting a lot of time then.

Vamphuntr

I think that most of the children start in a set class that isn't linked to their parents' class so if you chose a lady that will give birth to a mage and you chose + STR and - MAG for your avatar then you might cripple him a bit since the kid stat/growth rate is based on that of his parent . AFAIK the ladies in the game will give birth to the same child no matter who the father is. The only difference is in their inherited skill/stats and the possible class changes they get. And of course the supports will change.

Ken

All the characters have their own growth rates for each stat. I don't restart chapters as much as some people. For certain units, like those with low Strength growth rates, some people will constantly reset until they get a +Strength level up, since it can make a big different for Peg. Knights and Archers, which sometimes suffer from low strength growth. Some characters will easily max out specific stats, while struggling to gain in others. You could look up guides to growth rates, but I'm personally not using a guide for my first playthrough.

I'll more, or less accept any sort of well balanced level up though. I don't sit there farming for specific stat growth. I just restart for terrible level ups near the beginning, since it's not wasting a lot of time then.

I shouldn't worry about this if it's my first FE right.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I shouldn't worry about this if it's my first FE right.

Yeah, I wouldn't fret about it. Character stat growth will generally even out, although you can get some really great, or really bad end stats just based on luck. It's part of the fun of playing through the game and it can make you think about using different characters on each playthrough.

Just play and have fun!

Velcro Fly

You can reclass to grind level ups and max stats anyway if you feel the need. I wouldn't worry too much about poor level ups in this game. You can basically fix anyone and it's especially easy with some of the paid DLC that helps you farm either a ton of exp or a ton of gold to buy class changing items.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Just Unlocked the support conversations. Frederick and Crom level C is already hilarious.
Frederick putting
"Morale Boosting" posters with a naked Crom on it in every tent
was the highlight.

I just unlocked it too, but I could't select Frederick to talk to Chrom (unless I'm doing it wrong). Only my Avatar and Chrom. I wonder if it's randomized based on how you play?

I just unlocked it too, but I could't select Frederick to talk to Chrom (unless I'm doing it wrong). Only my Avatar and Chrom. I wonder if it's randomized based on how you play?

You need to play with the characters either doubled or side by side to increase their 'Friendship' which will activate the support convo once it reaches a certain level.

Chrom

Chrom and Frederick probably don't have enough support points to talk yet, most likely. Keep having them fight with each other and the option should eventually pop up.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
You need to play with the characters either doubled or side by side to increase their 'Friendship' which will activate the support convo once it reaches a certain level.

Chrom and Frederick probably don't have enough support points to talk yet, most likely. Keep having them fight with each other and the option should eventually pop up.

Oh okay, makes sense!

I guess that means there's going to be quite a few combinations for building friendships.

TWILT

Banned
Annnddd I just had my first death.
Kellam got hit by a freaking 6% critical. -_-

*Immediately resets* Yeah, this won't be the first time I'm doing this.

So, so jelly of our neighbors to the north.

south-park-blame-canada.jpg

Hyunickel

Neo Member
Definitely gonna grab this! Anyone knows if there are any restrictions to purchases on the eShop made outside of NA using a NA 3DS?

Chrom

Definitely gonna grab this! Anyone knows if there are any restrictions to purchases on the eShop made outside of NA using a NA 3DS?

I don't believe so. My friend imported a Japanese 3DS to play the game back when it came out last year and used it to buy DLC just as he would if he were living in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom