• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rarutos

Ha, funny you say that because I'm also near the end of that game as well at the moment, although it's actually FE3 just for the sake of finally getting around to finish it.

It'd be extremely tempting to go ahead and just buy the game early if I ever saw the opportunity, but I already put money down on the bundle and don't intend to buy more than that. Tough for me.

Yes as much as I'd like to finish it, if I got my hands on Awakening right this instance... FE12 will not see me for a few months, maybe even years. Like some other poor abandoned games in my Backlog. ;_;

Mr. Fix

Recruiting
Donny
is hilarious.
You need to have him level up during the chapter, however right from the get-go he'd do 3 damage at 70% whereas the enemy can strike twice, OHKO-ing him with just the first hit.
Goddamn.

john tv

To the OP (nice OT, BTW!): The DLC name is Champions of Yore, not Champion of Yore. Probably a typo by Best Buy or whoever. Also, Red Entertainment assisted with the scenario, but the game was developed by IS.

Chrom

To the OP (nice OT, BTW!): The DLC name is Champions of Yore, not Champion of Yore. Probably a typo by Best Buy or whoever. Also, Red Entertainment assisted with the scenario, but the game was developed by IS.

Huh, Champions would make more sense than Champion, I suppose.

Yeah, Red Entertainment was barely involved with the game from my understanding. The game credits only make a fleeting mention of them if memory serves. Kind of like Brownie Brown being involved with Super Mario 3D Land.

Socreges

Banned
That's kind of what happened to me. I got to about chapter 3 of FE12 over break, put it down, then played the Awakening demo. Hard to imagine going back.
Yet FE12 is an excellent game. I've only finished the first two chapters of Awakening (ie, the demo) - I think I'll put it down for now and get back into FE12. Shouldn't be too difficult once I forget how sexy Awakening is.

Am I the only one who was caught off guard by the birds flying across the screen in Chapter 1? I had the 3D turned up 100% so it honestly looked like they were on the screen. Really looks fantastic.

[edit] Then again I like the idea of playing Awakening alongside everyone else at launch....

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Man my FE skills have deteriorated. Playing on hard and losing people. Enemies hit like trucks and not much in the way of evades. Gotta readjust my strategy.

Recruiting
Donny
is hilarious.
You need to have him level up during the chapter, however right from the get-go he'd do 3 damage at 70% whereas the enemy can strike twice, OHKO-ing him with just the first hit.
Goddamn.

Haha yep. I did this mission about 6 times before I was successful.

This is my first Fire Emblem game and I have no idea what I'm doing. I've lost like 5 people and I'm only on chapter 6 or so.

Koodo

Banned
I'm doing Hard on Casual. I ain't stressing over some unfortunate soul getting clocked by a critical hit. I'll leave the Classic mode for the replays.

Loving the game so far.
i8kn6AoCCXxVY.gif

Socreges

Banned
Supports (in-base)...

Is it the same as before where each character can only have so many conversations? And if we don't have a certain conversation between chapters, is the opportunity then gone? Or can we wait a while and then have a bunch of conversations at once?

Chrom

Supports (in-base)...

Is it the same as before where each character can only have so many conversations? And if we don't have a certain conversation between chapters, is the opportunity then gone? Or can we wait a while and then have a bunch of conversations at once?

No base conversations. Supports are unlimited.

chrono01

I think that most of the children start in a set class that isn't linked to their parents' class so if you chose a lady that will give birth to a mage and you chose + STR and - MAG for your avatar then you might cripple him a bit since the kid stat/growth rate is based on that of his parent . AFAIK the ladies in the game will give birth to the same child no matter who the father is. The only difference is in their inherited skill/stats and the possible class changes they get. And of course the supports will change.

Thanks so much for the reply.

I'll keep that in mind. >:)

Chrom

Hmm? I swear I saw the option. They're not actual conversations then, but just support bonuses?

Oh, I see.

No, they are indeed real support conversations, but they aren't like base conversations like in some games which I was thinking you were referring to for some reason. You can't miss support conversations because they'll always be available.

Socreges

Banned
Oh, I see.

No, they are indeed real support conversations, but they aren't like base conversations like in some games which I was thinking you were referring to for some reason. You can't miss support conversations because they'll always be available.
My bad then. I guess I don't understand the difference between base conversations and these support conversations?

Chrom

My bad then. I guess I don't understand the difference between base conversations and these support conversations?

Base conversations were a convention used in some games solely to further flesh out characters with optional conversations that provided no gameplay benefit. Awakening doesn't have those.

I've never played a Fire Emblem game, or a lot of turn based strategy games in general, so got a couple of questions.

Is story a big part of this game? I'm intrigued by the conversation stuff with party members.

Also, generally how long would it be on normal?

Chrom

I've never played a Fire Emblem game, or a lot of turn based strategy games in general, so got a couple of questions.

Is story a big part of this game? I'm intrigued by the conversation stuff with party members.

Story's not that important but it's there to keep you interested.

OP answers length question better than I can.

vareon

Story's not really important, but characters are why I like FE so much. They have their own personalities and backstory, they grow with you, they interact with each other, and their bond with each other is reflected on the gameplay. In permadeath, if a character dies, other character might react, which made me sad as hell in Radiant Dawn for losing someone.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yes as much as I'd like to finish it, if I got my hands on Awakening right this instance... FE12 will not see me for a few months, maybe even years. Like some other poor abandoned games in my Backlog. ;_;

Which one is FE12? Was it released in english?

Chrom

Which one is FE12? Was it released in english?

Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow~ for Nintendo DS.

Never released outside of Japan, but has an excellent fan translation that was recently released.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Tried to use my Gamestop hookups to get a copy

No such luck. But the computer definitely removed the street date. When you add the sku to the transaction it's just like 'ok cool!'

Don't see why Nintendo can't just put it up on the shop now if they're letting Gamestop break the date. Gamestop's super anal about street dates, so they had to have permission for this. I imagine it has something to do with the early cut off on preorders on Amazon's delay thing

Socreges

Banned
Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow~ for Nintendo DS.

Never released outside of Japan, but has an excellent fan translation that was recently released.
I actually forget that it's not a 'legit' translation. Basically flawless.

For anyone interested in FE12, you import the game, dump the ROM, patch it with the translation, load it onto a flash cart.... away you go. I was completely new to the process but followed the instructions and found it pretty painless.

Ken

Tried to use my Gamestop hookups to get a copy

No such luck. But the computer definitely removed the street date. When you add the sku to the transaction it's just like 'ok cool!'

Don't see why Nintendo can't just put it up on the shop now if they're letting Gamestop break the date. Gamestop's super anal about street dates, so they had to have permission for this. I imagine it has something to do with the early cut off on preorders on Amazon's delay thing

My Gamestop still has it street dated. :(

Koodo

Banned
Early recruit question:
is there any benefit in using Donnel, the boy from Paralogue 1? He's severely underpowered compared to the rest.

Recruiting
Donny
is hilarious.
Goddamn.
Super easy if you pair him up with a tank like Frederick.

Socreges

Banned
Am I the only one who stripped Frederick of his lance and paired him with MU (My Unit) right away? Seemed to make a lot of sense, at least to begin the game. I'm not far in, mind you.

Mr. Fix

Thanks for clearing those up!

Early recruit question:
is there any benefit in using Donnel, the boy from Paralogue 1? He's severely underpowered compared to the rest.

Actually, I breezed through the chapter. I've only had to use Frederick for the chapter 4 or 5 I believe. I just did the classic route and had the other units weaken the enemies. I figured I'd get more use out of having more units at my disposal. Also I just came across Cordelia; finally!

Lusankya

Early recruit question: is there any benefit in using Donnel, the boy from Paralogue 1? He's severely underpowered compared to the rest.

He has a unique skill which gives him +20% to all growths. His initial class sucks, but once he hits level 10 you can reclass him and then he has by far the best growths in the game. Babysit him a little and he becomes godlike.
On lunatic however it's probably very hard to make him really strong.

Early recruit question:
He breeds like a dream.
(No, really. Pair him up with someone that has a female child, and you can give that kid access to Pegasus Knight, which in turn leads to the best skill in the game, Lightning Speed.)

Rarutos

SerenesForest members discovered most of the children character names already, some of them are amazing.

Wood/Eudes = Owain
Azure = Inigo
Serena = Severa
Degel = Kjelle (apparently pronounced Shell-ah)
Cynthia = Cynthia
Brady = Brady
Noire = Noire
Nn = Nah

SerenesForest members discovered most of the children character names already, some of them are amazing.

Wood/Eudes = Owain
Azure = Inigo
Serena = Severa
Cynthia = Cynthia
Brady = Brady
Noire = Noire
Nn = Nah
I was already planning to use Nn/Nah, now it must happen. Also, now we have Nowi (no way) and Nah? Amazing.

Esura

Banned

Wood/Eudes = Owain
Azure = Inigo
Serena = Severa
Cynthia = Cynthia
Brady = Brady
Noire = Noire
Nn = Nah

Nah mean?

Koodo

Banned
He has a unique skill which gives him +20% to all growths. His initial class sucks, but once he hits level 10 you can reclass him and then he has by far the best growths in the game. Babysit him a little and he becomes godlike.
I'm already noticing his level ups are crazy. I'll keep nurturing him.

He breeds like a dream.
(No, really. Pair him up with someone that has a female child, and you can give that kid access to Pegasus Knight, which in turn leads to the best skill in the game, Lightning Speed.)
I can't stop screaming at this game having a breeding system. Still haven't progressed far enough to start doing that though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This game is very good so far (seriously; very glad I picked this up cuz I wasn't having a barrel of fun with NNK). I restarted on Lunatic so we'll see how far that gets me before I reload my Hard save.

Haven't played Shin Monshou no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu, but I have this strong desire to import it now.

So am I just getting insanely lucky or is the Avatar supposed to be a killing machine? For me he dominates battles, gets crits, double attacks, back up attacks, frequently dodges, and his level ups are consistently fantastic.

Soriku

Wood/Eudes = Owain
Azure = Inigo
Serena = Severa
Cynthia = Cynthia
Brady = Brady
Noire = Noire
Nn = Nah

"Nah"? Really? "Nah"? Not that Nn was a good game, but Nah?

Why do most "localized" names tend to sound worse than the originals? How do you go from something normal like Azure to Inigo? What the hell is an Inigo? And Serena is a pretty normal name but it's now Severa?

Who makes these decisions?

Delio

Ugh started playing older FE's while I wait for this. I really loved Lyn's story even if it was short. Her group was nice and small and felt all tight. Moving on to Eliwood's story and goodness. I find myself using Hector and the two other axemen to take out everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom