• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw64life

A couple of hours in and as a first time Fire Emblem player and OCD game saver I feel like I made a huge mistake playing on Classic. I'm the kind of person who presses F5 to quicksave on PC games every 30 seconds and it's killing me whenever I make a mistake and can't reload and correct it. I just completed the first paralogue and half my squad is dead and I'm abusing the fuck out of Frederick like everyone is recommending I don't do just out of sheer desperation to survive.

Don't get hung up on keeping everyone alive or "doing everything right" in your first playthrough. Just have fun.

I think I'm just too much of a perfectionist to do this. I wish there was a practice mode or something because I don't have the patience to keep dying over and over again and it's too tempting to just bulldoze everything with Frederick.

A bit of a side note, but am I the only one who's getting really annoyed at these comments? It's like you can't make any intentional style choices without someone complaining -- yet everyone and their mom jizzes over generic-anime style character art. Giant eyes, yes, that's fine. BUT NO FEET?! NO FEET?!

Get some tougher skin, and learn to recognize sarcasm.

A couple of hours in and as a first time Fire Emblem player and OCD game saver I feel like I made a huge mistake playing on Classic. I'm the kind of person who presses F5 to quicksave on PC games every 30 seconds and it's killing me whenever I make a mistake and can't reload and correct it. I just completed the first paralogue and half my squad is dead and I'm abusing the fuck out of Frederick like everyone is recommending I don't do just out of sheer desperation to survive.

I think I'm just too much of a perfectionist to do this. I wish there was a practice mode or something because I don't have the patience to keep dying over and over again and it's too tempting to just bulldoze everything with Frederick.

You should restart on casual. You'll get back to where you were in no time, and the play-style will suit you much better. I am pretty sure casual lets you save in the middle of battles.

So... Dumb question, but
is it safe to use a Lucina avatar yet? I've already seen a couple people using them and I've been trying to be cautious about it.
Hmm...

Well there are still some people trying to find a copy of the game thanks to all the shortages.

But I think its fine so long as you avoid saying her real name for now.

Raw64life

You should restart on casual. You'll get back to where you were in no time, and the play-style will suit you much better. I am pretty sure casual lets you save in the middle of battles.

I think I will. I really wanted to play it the "right" way but it's causing me to have more frustration than fun. And even though I am enjoying the game I'm more than likely only going to play through it once.

GeekyDad

Yeah, I think the perma-death thing throws most folks for a loop when turning onto the FE series, and I know it's what's kept a lot of folks away from the series. For that, I'm very glad they added Casual. I won't use it, but as is evident, this game has been quite the success. It needed more attention so we can continue to get FE games outside of Japan.

But even if you did keep everyone alive, it's still hard to make effective use of all of the characters in a single playthrough. It's like trying to eat BBQ without getting your hands all messy.

San Tacos

Neo Member
Question: After you hit S rank with two characters, do you "ditch" the relationship and work on getting another A, or do you keep using the same two S ranked characters in every battle from that point on?

Is it worthwhile to get multiple A rank relationships, or just focusing efforts and having every character with at least one S rank with another person, more worthwhile?

Mr. Fix

Tomorrow.

Time to start my third playthrough! I'm looking real forward to the new dialogue for that map.

Hopefully that means we get Demon Fighter next week. :)

Fuck, and possibly a 4th.

Question: After you hit S rank with two characters, do you "ditch" the relationship and work on getting another A, or do you keep using the same two S ranked characters in every battle from that point on?

Is it worthwhile to get multiple A rank relationships, or just focusing efforts and having every character with at least one S rank with another person, more worthwhile?

For the DLC and spotpass chapters later on, I plan on getting all the S' and A's, just to freely mix and match.

If they keep the current pricing model ($2 per map via pack), it looks like all the DLC will cost $50. Now I need to find a way to avoid buying all of it.

Chrom

If they keep the current pricing model ($2 per map via pack), it looks like all the DLC will cost $50. Now I need to find a way to avoid buying all of it.

Up until tomorrow's The Lost Bloodlines 1 ($3.00), all of the DLC has cost $2.50 other than Champions of Yore 1, which is going to be $2.50 not long from now.

They're raising the price? Ugh, if packs are going up to $8 I may be out. That's way too high for what these DLC packs are.

The odd thing is, according to the facebook page the bundle will still be $6. So unless that was a mistake we're actually getting a free map with the bundle.

Going by the Japanese prices, from now until the first batch of DLC finishes the maps will be $3, and then when the second batch starts it'll go down again.

Chrom

They're raising the price? Ugh, if packs are going up to $8 I may be out. That's way too high for what these DLC packs are.

I disagree, honestly. The ones that were pricier in Japan were much more interesting and valuable, so I'd say it'd be worth it. Just me, though.

Rarutos

Save 'N Quit said:
Well there are still some people trying to find a copy of the game thanks to all the shortages.

But I think its fine so long as you avoid saying her real name for now.

Thanks, I figured as much! I just wanted to make sure.

The odd thing is, according to the facebook page the bundle will still be $6. So unless that was a mistake we're actually getting a free map with the bundle.

Maybe one of them will just be $2?!

Mr. Fix

Going by the Japanese prices, from now until the first batch of DLC finishes the maps will be $3, and then when the second batch starts it'll go down again.

If they can maintain the $6 tag for each set then that'd be alright.

What situation causes both sides of a combat to get two attacks? I thought it was always a speed comparison.

If either side has a weapon with a brave effect (attack twice in one turn) and the other can normally double attack or both sides have a weapon with a brave effect!

Juice

This cart is totally unavailable in central ohio, so I finally caved and bought the game on eShop. Downloading now.

First Fire Emblem game I'll ever play, somehow.

If Tactics Ogre / Ogre Battle 64, Valkyria Chronicles, and FF Tactics are some of my all-time favorite series, will I like this?

Rarutos

If Tactics Ogre / Ogre Battle 64, Valkyria Chronicles, and FF Tactics are some of my all-time favorite series, will I like this?

Valkyria Chronicles has a very similar kind of thing with the side characters having unique personalities (Also permadeath). So if you like that, then you'll definitely like Fire Emblem in this aspect.

Juice

Valkyria Chronicles has a very similar kind of thing with the side characters having unique personalities (Also permadeath). So if you like that, then you'll definitely like Fire Emblem in this aspect.

I'm actually planning on playing in Casual mode at first.

How's it compare to Ogre / FFT?

johnsmith

remember me
Any tips on what male exclusive skill my unit should pass onto his daughters? They'll be able to access Mercenary/Hero right? So that just leaves

Fighter
HP +5
Zeal

Warrior
Rally Strength
Counter

Barbarian
Despoil
Gamble

Berserker
Wrath
Axefaire

None of these seem that great.

Rarutos

How's it compare to Ogre / FFT?

I personally think they're a bit too different to compare, but that's just me. Maybe someone else can help. In this, the weapons are breakable and usually only replenished by buying more. Combat is different because you want to get hit as little as possible and do as much damage as possible (especially on Classic Mode)... So yeah.

Basically, positioning is a lot more important in this than FFT.

Turok_TTZ

now noticing more peeps with FE avatars I was wondering whether I should get one me self but...
I just realised I have been using an FE avatar since I first came here on neogaf lol. derp.

Any tips on what male exclusive skill my unit should pass onto his daughters? They'll be able to access Mercenary/Hero right? So that just leaves

Fighter
HP +5
Zeal

Warrior
Rally Strength
Counter

Barbarian
Despoil
Gamble

Berserker
Wrath
Axefaire

Axefaire can be useful if your child ever uses axes.

Rally Strength can turn your child into a rally bot since your child has access to the rest of the rally skills.

Wrath can be comboed with Vantage and Vengeance.

You can troll Streetpass teams with Counter.

PK Gaming

Fighter
HP +5
Zeal

Warrior
Rally Strength
Counter

Barbarian
Despoil
Gamble

Berserker
Wrath
Axefaire

It depends on the daughter (is it Morgan + Severa?)

In most cases i'd go with Gamble since its basically a free 10% crit boost. MU will pass down tactician, so you there's no real need for Rally Strength unless you want to abuse it ASAP. Axefaire if you seriously intend on using her as an axe user, and Wrath if you're fan of the ability in general (like I am). Despoil and Counter blow massive chunks.

johnsmith

remember me
Axefaire can be useful if your child ever uses axes.

Rally Strength can turn your child into a rally bot since your child has access to the rest of the rally skills.

Wrath can be comboed with Vantage and Vengeance.

You can troll Streetpass teams with Counter.
I was going to say Rally Strength seemed useless when you have Rally Spectrum, but did a bit of research it it seems ALL the rally skills you have equipped activate and stack. So that might be the way to go to make one of the daughters a buffer.

It depends on the daughter (is it Morgan + Severa?)

In most cases i'd go with Gamble since its basically a free 10% crit boost. MU will pass down tactician, so you there's no real need for Rally Strength unless you want to abuse it ASAP. Axefaire if you seriously intend on using her as an axe user, and Wrath if you're fan of the ability in general (like I am). Despoil and Counter blow massive chunks.

The mother is Tharja. Does that make a difference? I thought MU's children had access to all regular classes that weren't gender exclusive, and there's female mercenaries and heroes.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Japanese players, what's the EXP DLC like?

Is there a trick to it like the gold one was...where the enemies run away quickly, and are actually pretty strong and can kill you if you're not careful?

Anyway, looking forward to it. The Child Chapters are kicking my ass...although I got Cynthia.

Mr. Fix

Japanese players, what's the EXP DLC like?

Is there a trick to it like the gold one was...where the enemies run away quickly, and are actually pretty strong and can kill you if you're not careful?

Anyway, looking forward to it. The Child Chapters are kicking my ass...although I got Cynthia.

Here's the video. They also run down, though the map is different, and the strongest Entombed have the counter skill.

Chrom

can you check progress on an eshop download? This thing has been going for 20 minutes and it's not done yet...

Are you downloading it as you are on the eShop application, or are you downloading it "later"?

Normally when you download something, the little box where you see the game will fill up in color, which is used to indicate download progress. If you choose to download it later, you have to leave the app and leave the 3DS in sleep mode so that it downloads, and the 3DS will literally give you a percentage of progress on the home menu when you check up on it.

Chrom

So tomorrow we get the EXP DLC right? Cant wait to grind people up.

EXPonential Growth and The Lost Bloodlines 1 for tomorrow, yeah.

There's so much exp to go around (especially with the skirmishes), you can easily get away with using Frederick as much as you want.

He's (I believe) mandatory if you want to beat Lunatic too
For the beginning, yeah. Frederick is your BFF on Lunatic early game.

PK Gaming

The mother is Tharja. Does that make a difference? I thought MU's children had access to all regular classes that weren't gender exclusive, and there's female mercenaries and heroes.

yeah you're right.

I just wanted to know who the kid was (its noire, who starts as an archer archer).

any advice for early lunatic? stuck on chapter 2 atm.

You must use Frederick early on. Try to weaken enemies and then finish them with Chrom or Avatar. But don't worry too much about Fred hogging all the EXP if he gets most of the kills. There will be time to grow Chrom and your Avatar later.

Turok_TTZ

You must use Frederick early on. Try to weaken enemies and then finish them with Chrom or Avatar. But don't worry too much about Fred hogging all the EXP if he gets most of the kills. There will be time to grow Chrom and your Avatar later.

yeah i know. my only problem is trying to finish a chapter without anyone dying. it does not help im playing this on classic lol.

There's so much exp to go around (especially with the skirmishes), you can easily get away with using Frederick as much as you want.

He's (I believe) mandatory if you want to beat Lunatic too
I've been trying to tell people this for weeks. There is no danger to using Frederick at all due to the unlimited amount of EXP you can gain in this game.

He's an awesome character too, so I hope more people will give him a chance and not get hung up on the Jagen label.

Esura

Banned
Every Avatar wife/husband gets devoured by the player character's ending in the credits (even Chrom)

Don't have them marry the Avatar if you want them to be more than his/her wife/husband

So what is Lucina's ending if she is paired with someone else? I know that if you don't pair her up with someone her ending
will have her disappear from the records or something.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
been using frederick since prologue. rng has not been kind to me for the past couple of hours.

Are you hitting X so you can see the dangerzone? (It'll be the purple area) Put Fred into it, not very far on the very edge, and he'll pull some guys. Then use everyone else to kill those guys. You really need to manage enemy ranges on the harder difficulties, just make sure that no one other than Fred is in range of more than 1 or 2 guys at a time.

yeah i know. my only problem is trying to finish a chapter without anyone dying. it does not help im playing this on classic lol.

I'm on Chapter 21 on my Lunatic/Classic run with Chapters/Prologues only. Lunatic is like that gay teen campaign: It gets better.

The early chapters force you to be very precise since you can't even afford to lose a character (since you've mostly only got Fred, a healer, Chrom, and Avatar). There's a bit more leeway later... if you're willing to move on after your friends die.

Turok_TTZ

Are you hitting X so you can see the dangerzone? (It'll be the purple area) Put Fred into it, not very far on the very edge, and he'll pull some guys. Then use everyone else to kill those guys. You really need to manage enemy ranges on the harder difficulties, just make sure that no one other than Fred is in range of more than 1 or 2 guys at a time.

perhaps ive not been doing enemy ranges so well. ill take that under consideration.
miriel keeps dying or its fred dying by crits. why dont i get lucky crits?!

maybe its just bad luck. always seem to get hit by crits. i'll just play another 6 hours or so and see if my luck changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom