• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
also, do you think there's a chance that Nintendo might start releasing some of the non translated games onto the Wii U, and the 3ds?

I think people will be a lot more forgiving of the games if they are not remakes, but just translations, and this would be the perfect opportunity to start releasing them

zroid

Banned
So definitely no EXPonential Growth this week, huh... they're holding out on us :(

What does Lost Bloodlines entail?

e: Wait, apparently you can get EXP now only if you purchased the bundle? That's weird.

Anteo

So definitely no EXPonential Growth this week, huh... they're holding out on us :(

e: Wait, apparently you can get EXP now only if you purchased the bundle? That's weird.

Well maybe is like the other DLC chapters where you need one before getting the next one (in this case, gold map then exp map?)

Chrom

It was my understanding that EXPonential Growth was supposed to release today, but it just isn't available for purchase right now for some reason. Granted, I don't actually recall if Nintendo itself said it was going to, either. Either way, it's playable if you buy the bundle.

The Lost Bloodlines is a new series that plays similarly to Champions of Yore but focuses on Jugdral and Archanea characters fighting each other, and the player team has to defeat one of them. It's more difficult than Champions of Yore but I'd say it's more interesting.

Seems like they forgot to add EXPonential growth as a seperate purchase. I bought the $6.00 pack last week and EXPonebtial Growth auto-updated so I can play it.

NeonZ

The first map is like the Roy DLC map. Fight against old FE characters (although these are mostly from Japan-only games) and get one old character at the end, this time it's Leif as a brown haired Trickster, but this time the map is new (well, it's a remake of another old map, but a different one), and large, with higher level enemies and more of them. The interesting bit here, and the reason you might want to buy the pack, are the later two maps.

The second one has the player fighting against all characters from Marth's games (Shadow Dragon and the Japan-only New Mystery), alongside Gaiden characters (also Japan-only) and gets you Alm, who comes alongside a new class (called "Demon Fighter" originally), able to wield swords, axes and tomes, and with two new skills, of course. After finishing the chapter, in addition to Demon Fighter Alm, the player gets an item that can be used to promote any other male character to that class. Also, unlike Marth's Lodestar, Demon Fighters' model and animations are completely new (Alm himself has a generic head though).

And the third one has Seliph, who's here as a blue haired Swordmaster, but it comes with the "Paragon" skill, which gives twice as much experience to the unit equipped with it, and the map itself has almost twice as many enemies as the past maps.

zroid

Banned
The Lost Bloodlines is a new series that plays similarly to Champions of Yore but focuses on Jugdral and Archanea characters fighting each other, and the player team has to defeat one of them. It's more difficult than Champions of Yore but I'd say it's more interesting.

Sounds good. Interesting that the first one is $3, whereas the bundle is still $6. Well, if their goal was to encourage me to buy the bundle, it's working!

The first map is like the Roy DLC map. Fight against old FE characters (although these are mostly from Japan-only games) and get one old character at the end, this time it's Leif as a brown haired Trickster, but this time the map is actually new, and large, with higher level enemies and more of them. The interesting bit here, and the reason you might want to buy the pack, are the later two maps.

The second one has the player fighting against all characters from Marth's games (Shadow Dragon and the Japan-only New Mystery), alongside Gaiden characters (also Japan-only) and gets you Alm, who comes alongside a new class (called "Demon Fighter" originally), able to wield swords, axes and tomes, and with two new skills, of course. After finishing the chapter, the player gets an item that can be used to promote any male character to that class.

And the third one has Seliph and the "Paragon" skill, which gives twice as much experience to the unit equipped with it, as well as almost twice as many enemies as the past maps.

well I'm sold

I'll probably wait awhile though, I'm trying to hold out on buying any DLC (aside from the free one) till I get further in the game at least, since it's just going tempt me to grind more and continue wasting time. :C

Gestahl

Translated names of the Japan-only characters (Localized name on the right)

Maris - Malice
Mareeta - Mareeta
Reidric/Leidric - Raydrik
Dagda - Dagdar
Cyas - Saias
Eyvel - Eyvel
Salem/Seram - Salem
Olwen - Olwen
Fin - Finn
Alvis - Arvis
Jamka - Jamke
Ardan/Arden - Arden
Lachesis - Raquesis
Levin - Lewyn
Aira - Ayra
Lakche - Larcei
Arthur - Arthur
Sety - Ced
Julius/Yurius - Julius
Cuan - Quan
Ethlin - Ethlyn
Phee/Fee - Fee
Skasaher - Ulster
Altenna - Altena
Aless - Ares
Roro - Legion

I knew Seliph was a harbinger of things to come

GeekyDad

Well maybe is like the other DLC chapters where you need one before getting the next one (in this case, gold map then exp map?)

Are you serious? You can't simply buy the maps you want? You have to buy certain ones to unlock the ability to buy others? Hopefully, I misunderstood your post.

AGITΩ

Sucks that even with all my hermit modding prior to the games US release. The Team map encounters via spotpass spoil a lot when it comes to specific characters :/

massoluk

Banned
Hey cool, first time tagteaming random enemies with spotpass teams (guess people finally found the physical copies). Make leveling a lot easier this second play-through.

NeonZ

Are you serious? You can't simply buy the maps you want? You have to buy certain ones to unlock the ability to buy others? Hopefully, I misunderstood your post.

In Japan, you needed to buy the 3 maps of the Champions of Yore series in order due to them following the previous chapter directly, but that's it, and I'm not sure if that limitation exists for the American version.

IceIpor

It was my understanding that EXPonential Growth was supposed to release today, but it just isn't available for purchase right now for some reason. Granted, I don't actually recall if Nintendo itself said it was going to, either. Either way, it's playable if you buy the bundle.

I was definitely able to play EXPonential Growth today. (plus the new DLC.)
I also bought the pack earlier, if it makes any difference.

So,, just buy the bundle if you really want to play it

Turok_TTZ

finally got past chapter 2 on lunatic classic. chapter 3 was surprisingly easy vs chapter 2. currently on chapter 4 and wireless features got unlocked. now in need of opinions.

thanks to me beating this game on hard classic im able to get the freebie items from renown rewards upto parthia. selling certain items got me upto 17k gold. now, should i blow that money on recruiting jaffar to make life in lunatic easier or should i try to play this game without recruiting top guys?

Soulhouf

Finally an awesome DLC map (the FE4 one). I just finished it and it was by far my favorite battle of the entire game.
I feel bad for those who didn't play that game though, too much spoilers.

Does anyone actually use the spotpass/DLC characters?

The fact that they have no supports/custom dialog/models makes it a deal breaker for me. I'll play the DLC maps but I won't recruit them at the end.

The fact that they have no supports/custom dialog/models makes it a deal breaker for me. I'll play the DLC maps but I won't recruit them at the end.

I ended using the DLC characters as the group to take care of lower leveled random encounters and spotpass teams. Besides that not really.

Gestahl

When do the DLC maps get interesting? So far it seems like it's still following the main game formula of "Do you have the required brute force to kill 1-2 dozen enemies on an open plain y/n" instead of doing anything cool with terrain or chokepoints.

I'm doing Fire Emblem Awakening: Spotpass Gaiden!! where I take a handful of Spotpass characters I liked and turn them into the gods and goddesses I remember. And maybe they'll get a spot on my Streetpass roster if they're good enough. Marth seems like he'll get there eventually.

Turok_TTZ

i did on my hard classic. i made marth learn astra, lethality, and capped all his stats save res. i recruited karel as well and had him learn lethality for good measure. his stats too were capped as was marth.

PK Gaming

Let's see

-I got the EXP DLC. French Anna was a sweetheart, the dialogue was lighthearted and funny and the EXP payout is ridiculous. Definitely going to stat cap my characters here.
-I beat the Leif DLC with the skin of my teeth. We're talking barely making it with every unit alive (I didn't think it would be so hard). My only casuality was Eirika (thank god)
-I got Edward as my first RD spotpass character :D

I use them all of the time! In addition to being awesome sacrificial pawns, Spotpass characters can use any class, which means you can get almost any ability, like dual support+ (which is more less equivalent to lvl 4 Support), though keep in mind its female only.

Who said no EXPonential growth this week? I'm playing it right now... You just can't buy it seperate. If you bought the pack, you go to the DLC gateway and it updates it and you're good to go.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
also, do you think there's a chance that Nintendo might start releasing some of the non translated games onto the Wii U, and the 3ds?

I think people will be a lot more forgiving of the games if they are not remakes, but just translations, and this would be the perfect opportunity to start releasing them
I really want them to do something for the 25th anniversary in 2 years, but I'm a Fire Emblem fan, so yeah.

Drago

EXPonential Growth is freaking amazing, you get a level up for every enemy defeated. Crazy.

Good thing I bought the pack, I wonder why it didn't go up separately...

NeonZ

I've played around with most of the spotpass characters I've gotten, but the only ones in my main part were Marth, Roy and Karel, by end game on hard. Marth was just a great unit all around thanks to his crazy growths and his unique class, which allowed him to level up very quickly by end game when I changed him back to Lodestar after leveling up as a myrmidon/Swordmaster. Roy was there due to his Dual Strike +, making him a good partner for Marth, or any other spotpass character.

I used Karel as support to Chrom, since Chrom's speed was falling behind for whatever reason, and I didn't want to really start grinding before finishing the game to make Olivia get close to other party members (she has an S support with him). Also, early access to a Swordmaster with Luna. Like I mentioned before, Marth with the
Parallel Falchion
ended up taking out
Grima
with a single attack command thanks to two Astra activations, so that worked out pretty well.

When do the DLC maps get interesting? So far it seems like it's still following the main game formula of "Do you have the required brute force to kill 1-2 dozen enemies on an open plain y/n" instead of doing anything cool with terrain or chokepoints.

The final set of character DLC uses as map the fortress from chapter 9 or so of Path of Radiance (the one right after Ike takes over the Greil Mercenaries) which is filled with choke points. The other right after Lost Bloodlines is the last FE7 stage, so it's not very interesting. Aside from that, there's the later set of maps originally called "Ultimate Training", the first three of them all had unique map mechanics and traps. The 3 "Future of Despair" maps also had some specific design since they're mostly rescue/defensive missions where you have to protect npcs.

Aside from that, regarding the end-game, it's kind of weird. I didn't think the design during most of the game was that bland. But then you get to the last few maps, starting with the last battle against
Validar
, and you get 5 open maps one right after another until the game ends. I guess now I can see why so many people complain about the game having too many maps like that.

It's kind of mind numbing that they would go with Ares but then flip the L and jam a q into Lachesis' name

It does feel all over the place for the past FE names localization.

Drop an a and toss in an e for Jamka.
Not even attempt to localize Skasaher and just go for a related character in the legend.
I still don't understand why they changed Sety's name and into that.

Sometimes I feel like some localization changes are done for the aesthetic appearance of the name, like how they decided on the pronunciation "seeda" but made the spelling "Caeda". Because it looks less awkward than Seeda, or something.

finally got past chapter 2 on lunatic classic. chapter 3 was surprisingly easy vs chapter 2. currently on chapter 4 and wireless features got unlocked. now in need of opinions.

thanks to me beating this game on hard classic im able to get the freebie items from renown rewards upto parthia. selling certain items got me upto 17k gold. now, should i blow that money on recruiting jaffar to make life in lunatic easier or should i try to play this game without recruiting top guys?

Do whatever you have fun doing.

That said, DLC or spotpass grinding or recruiting overpowered characters seems to defeat the purpose of Lunatic. If you wanted to blow through the game easily, you'd have picked Normal. If you want to be put at your wits' end (often to frustration), then that's Lunatic difficulty. See if you can beat the game using your best tactics. If not, then go use the other options the game offers to make life easier.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Well I finally got back to where I was before I completely wiped my data. I did it much quicker than before. Well, mainly because I had just been learning the joys of pairing up when I had to start over.

And does your weakness\strength option in character creation affect the stat growth of all your characters (and other random factors) or just the avatar? When I started over, I tried different ones and stat growth percentages seemed very different than the first time. Also the rewards for the sparkling areas seemed to not follow the same pattern. I'd usually get either exp or weapon proficiency. But after restarting it was random weak items. I kept getting logs and ladles and stuff. It was weird. I tried starting over again with the same strength and weaknesses, and it was the same pattern as the first.

Maybe it was just me.

Has there been any word about fixing the dual language bug?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, with Olivia, Panne, and Nowi, they lose the Dance/Transformation ability when they Class Change, correct? Can you class change to a different class, pick up some new abilities, and class change back to the Dancer/Taguel/Dragon Class with them?

GeekyDad

Ugh...just tried going back to Radiant Dawn. This game has spoiled me so. Too many little improvements with the interface. I still love RD, and the challenge on Normal is "just right" for me, but man, Awakening is just so polished. It's the little things...

Gestahl

Eh, the only thing I really miss is the double layered threat range. Overall, FE12's touch controls were probably the best in the series, if a little finicky at times.

Delio

Playing the EXP dlc and im not getting as much exp as id like. I cant really one shot the lv 30s so Counter is kicking my ass there. :/

Playing the EXP dlc and im not getting as much exp as id like. I cant really one shot the lv 30s so Counter is kicking my ass there. :/
Yea feel the same, they run away too quickly for my tastes though you could attack from range to avoid counters. Might be better to use reeking boxes and bring the least number of people possible

GSR

Up to the final chapter on Hard/Classic, but I think I'll do the Paralogue to recruit
Gangrel
first.

Lucina, Morgan, and Gerome are easily my best three. Gerome in particular is Haar reborn.

Korosenai

Is the Lost Bloodlines Pack worth the $6?

I bought the first two packs, but I don't think im gonna be buying anymore for $6 unless theyre amazing.

Anteo

Try some ranged weapons. Throwing axes/lances, tomes and bows are great.
Swormasters are fucked.

Chrom

Is the Lost Bloodlines Pack worth the $6?

I bought the first two packs, but I don't think im gonna be buying anymore for $6 unless theyre amazing.

Considering that the Pack is contains three maps for $6 and the first one alone is just $3, it ought to be a pretty good deal no matter how you cut it.

Just started, can't believe I have to wait until chapter 4 to get the DLC. How long will this take?

Very short if you're playing normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom