• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

I plan to rename every Aversa's Night tome I Forge to "Gamebreaking"

If I could get away with it, I'd just make it a sad face.

Soulhouf

I am really impressed by the options in this game. You can change almost everything to an incredible detail.
This is really one of the positives that without any question is superior to the other Fire Emblem.

I am currently a big fan of the combat in 1st person view. It's so gorgeous and proof that in the combat everything is so well rendered.

Draxal

Yes, you can name weapons when you forge them. Too bad I suck at naming things :x

That's the beauty of Owain, he names all the weapons for you (I love the Missletain, too bad it doesn't have infinite uses like the falchions).

Also, if anybody needs to purchase extra Tomahawks/Spears the Ashnard spotpass team sells them.

womp

Playing the EXP pack, I'm pretty sure it counters all attacks (including 2x attacks), but not sure about ranged, I don't think so though.

Also, the Fire Emblem 3DS decal on Etsy sold out and came back with a $2 price increase. :(
I really want to get it to salvage some good out of the blue XL that I don't like, but it's double the price of all the other decals. I hope it doesn't go away too soon, I'm very interested in it.

My sister is on Etsy and does her own crafts store, even has a decal maker...I may ask her to make me one for my own blue 3DS XL. See if she could do it in light blue/white...

I need a good source for a clean image of FE crest/logo on its own though.

Draxal

My sister is on Etsy and does her own crafts store, even has a decal maker...I may ask her to make me one for my own blue 3DS XL. See if she could do it in light blue/white...

Honestly, if you can do the sprite work that the cart uses. I'd think people would be interested in it, it's nice and different.

womp

Honestly, if you can do the sprite work that the cart uses. I'd think people would be interested in it, it's nice and different.

She already got back to me and said that all she needs is a good clean image of what I want done.

I told her she could probably make some sales too. :p

Draxal

She already got back to me and said that all she needs is a good clean image of what I want done.

I told her she could probably make some sales too. :p

I think somebody else here could procure a better image of this (as this isn't clean enough), but the first post has an image of the japanese cart.

Are they really charging $6 for 3 maps? That seems rather steep considering how limited the Champions of Yore 1 map was. I get that it's a remake of the first map in the series but I'm glad I didn't pay money for it.

I don't know how I feel about them selling gold/exp/item farming maps either.

it's pretty embarassing actually. FE turned into a pay to win game. reminds me of those cheap PC games i used to laugh at in the past. you have these atrocities on every platform these days. shame it is spreading to established franchises as well. so many bad decisions.

womp

I think somebody else here could procure a better image of this (as this isn't clean enough), but the first post has an image of the japanese cart.

I would love one of the bundled 3DS's art myself. :)

I will discuss it with her and see what she thinks.

GeekyDad

Seconded. That would be simply awesome. Pre-pre-ordered! :p

it's pretty embarassing actually. FE turned into a pay to win game. reminds me of those cheap PC games i used to laugh at in the past. you have these atrocities on every platform these days. shame it is spreading to established franchises as well. so many bad decisions.

Kinda agree. Not really interested in any of those maps aside from the fact...they're new maps. But I'm only gonna bother with the ones that offer unique things, like the Demon Knight scroll and bride's bouquet.

But it's a trend that started long ago, and I think it can mostly be attributed to a lack of time to invest from gamers. A lotta folks would rather experience everything quickly and move on, rather than stick with a game. I don't mind seeing FE budge on its options for difficulty, but it is a bit sad to see victory up for sale.

On the plus side, that's less money I will spend on this game. If these were all story-related, I'd be fucking broke by the end.

Kinda agree. Not really interested in any of those maps aside from the fact...they're new maps. But I'm only gonna bother with the ones that offer unique things, like the Demon Knight scroll and bride's bouquet.

But it's a trend that started long ago, and I think it can mostly be attributed to a lack of time to invest from gamers. A lotta folks would rather experience everything quickly and move on, rather than stick with a game. I don't mind seeing FE budge on its options for difficulty, but it is a bit sad to see victory up for sale.

On the plus side, that's less money I will spend on this game. If these were all story-related, I'd be fucking broke by the end.

heh, i don't mind spending money on big substantial dlc that was created after the main game was finished. something where you can feel the extra work that went in. pay to win is a whole different story.

Lusankya

heh, i don't mind spending money on big substantial dlc that was created after the main game was finished. something where you can feel the extra work that went in. pay to win is a whole different story.

Well, I don't like these three gold, exp, super weapons maps either, but it's not pay to win.
First there is no (competitive) multiplayer and second these DLC are absolutely not necessary to beat the campaign on any difficulty.

Well, I don't like these three gold, exp, super weapons maps either, but it's not pay to win.
First there is no (competitive) multiplayer and second these DLC are absolutely not necessary to beat the the campaign on any difficulty.

That's probably debatable when it comes to Lunatic+ classic, especially since the spotpass content cannot be used for leveling.

Then again, Lunatic+ is a pretty silly and poorly designed difficulty to begin with and shouldn't be used to judge these sorts of things.

Lunar15

So, I made Tharja a Dark Knight with the intention of gaining lifetaker and then switching over to Sorceror. However, there doesn't seem to be any real advantage to making the switch. The switch merely makes me lose a bunch of stat gains and only really gives me +1 skill and mag. Does it give me higher growth rates for those two? Or does the ability to use Dark Magic again make this worthwhile?

So, I made Tharja a Dark Knight with the intention of gaining lifetaker and then switching over to Sorceror. However, there doesn't seem to be any real advantage to making the switch. The switch merely makes me lose a bunch of stat gains and only really gives me +1 skill and mag. Does it give me higher growth rates for those two? Or does the ability to use Dark Magic again make this worthwhile?

You don't lose stat gains, the base stats are adjusted because of the class change. It's worth it because you'll be able to continue to level up, and gain stats and new skills. And of course dark magic is especially powerful in this game.

Still playing in hardmode. Just beat Chapter 7 after 4 hours of clocked gameplay. This game is kicking my ass and I'm loving it. Though I am worried if I could possibly lose too many people (I haven't been losing any but I haven't been gaining any either).

scy

Dark Magic is that big of a deal (and will quickly make Lifetaker pretty pointless honestly) and there's different stat cap modifiers for the class. Off-hand, Sorceror has less STR, higher MAG, lower SKL, lower DEF, higher RES, and equal SPD/LCK (well, every class has equal LCK >>).

Drago

This would be great... the decal currently on there is a bit inaccurate (namely the dragon wings). Not sure where I can find official art of the crest though. I also love the idea of using the cartridge pixel art :)

Lunar15

Dark Magic is that big of a deal (and will quickly make Lifetaker pretty pointless honestly) and there's different stat cap modifiers for the class. Off-hand, Sorceror has less STR, higher MAG, lower SKL, lower DEF, higher RES, and equal SPD/LCK (well, every class has equal LCK >>).

Well, I want to pass down Lifetaker to Noire, so that's the main reason I got it. Might as well class over to Sage to get Tomebreaker, I guess.

Oh, the details... the sprite animations when the cursor is on them are the same as the ones the GBA games when they're selected. Fighters wave their arms, horses stand up, mercs lift their swords up, and soon.

Ferrio

Banned
I assume there's level scaling for story missions right? I've been trying to get everyone buddy buddy with each other, I'm afraid I'm just going to steam roll the story when I get back to it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I assume there's level scaling for story missions right? I've been trying to get everyone buddy buddy with each other, I'm afraid I'm just going to steam roll the story when I get back to it.

I was under the impression that there isn't. But there does seem to be some slight scaling for Risen encounters, so that might apply to the story too.

Ferrio

Banned
My last few story missions have just been every enemy suiciding into my characters. So I don't think there is scaling.

That's disheartening, wish you could change the difficulty on the fly.

edit: Maybe I should restart over.. I'm only on chapter 8...... but hell normal kicked my ass at the beginning.

rpmurphy

A question about StreetPass: is the team that you send a snapshot of what you set up when you confirm (levels, skills and inventory) or the stats of the characters when the StreetPass occurs?

Tadale

My last few story missions have just been every enemy suiciding into my characters. So I don't think there is scaling.

It seems like that's where my game is heading, too. I picked the default difficulty on classic because I had never played a FE game before, but it seems like I might should have extended myself a little more.

Still, I've lost a couple of characters – Donnel and Fredrick. I'm trying to just suck it up and go with it whenever someone goes down.

You're going to steamroll the main story. There is no scaling for main story missions.

Ferrio

Banned
Still, I've lost a couple of characters – Donnel and Fredrick. I'm trying to just suck it up and go with it whenever someone goes down.

Hrm.. that's a good point. What's the point of classic when I'm just restarting when someone goes POOF.

You're going to steamroll the main story. There is no scaling for main story missions.

Think that won't be an issue if I restart on hard?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
A question about StreetPass: is the team that you send a snapshot of what you set up when you confirm (levels, skills and inventory) or the stats of the characters when the StreetPass occurs?

Not 100% sure, but I think its a snapshot of when you confirm.

Tadale

Hrm.. that's a good point. What's the point of classic when I'm just restarting when someone goes POOF.

Think that won't be an issue if I restart on hard?

Seems crazy that I lost Frederick, but I made it a point in the early game not to use him for most battles in an attempt to level up my other characters instead. The problem was that I had overleveled the rest of my guys before bringing Frederick back in, and he went down quicker than I anticipated.

Ferrio

Banned
It won't be as much of an issue, but if you spend enough time grinding, hard mode loses all difficulty as well. You are going to break the difficulty of any mode if you do that.

True, but I'm not anywhere close to getting people close to the S's I want.. and stuff is becoming a joke.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Well, it depends on what your goal is. If you just don't want to permanently lose anyone but don't mind having someone go down during a mission, casual mode is fine.

I'd restart even on casual mode. If I lose a character I failed the mission. I wish they would just add a "hardcore" mode or something that gives you a game over if anyone dies, period.

I'd restart even on casual mode. If I lose a character I failed the mission. I wish they would just add a "hardcore" mode or something that gives you a game over if anyone dies, period.
Resetting upon any character's death is a game over. Well on Classic anyway. Casual has battle saves, so people can cheat.

Draxal

It won't be as much of an issue, but if you spend enough time grinding, hard mode loses all difficulty as well. You are going to break the difficulty of any mode if you do that.

Except lunatic +. which is basically soft reset the map after looking at enemy skills (Oh hi Pass and counter and luna +).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Resetting upon any character's death is a game over. Well on Classic anyway. Casual has battle saves, so people can cheat.

I know, but not having to fumble around with resetting would be nice. I guess in this game the difference would be minimal, I assume a game over screen kicks you to the main menu just like a soft reset. I've never actually even seen the game over screen in Awakening :lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Should I make Virion into a sniper or a bow knight?

Bow Knight is better in my opinion since you get swords plus more movement. I'd probably reclass him rather than promote to either though, but I'm not a big fan of archers since wind magic works as well or better without the drawback of bows.

On the plus side for snipers, you get bowfaire.

So Frederick is about to be a general with swordbreaker, axebreaker, and pavise. Try and melee attack him now. Maybe I should get Aegis on him too.

i heard only lunatic plus and lunatic are difficult regardless of grinding :/

Lunatic isn't. I can't say for certain if Lunatic+ is like that. I doubt it, you can probably grind enough to make that pretty manageable too.

Turok_TTZ

progressing decently so far since yesterday.
question. is it normal for all the skirmishes ive encountered so far to have enemies with maxed out stats in lunatic? seeing wyvern lords, war monks, sword masters and assassins with their stats capped was quite a shocker for me. best way to approach?

progressing decently so far since yesterday.
question. is it normal for all the skirmishes ive encountered so far to have enemies with maxed out stats in lunatic? seeing wyvern lords, war monks, sword masters and assassins with their stats capped was quite a shocker for me. best way to approach?

It's normal. Best way to approach it is to not fight any of those battles. You won't get any XP from doing so on Lunatic, so there's no point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom