• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

hao chi

So I chose Speed as my Asset and Luck as my Flaw, is that alright? Also how do I download DLC? every time I click it in the eshop it takes me to the game and can't find it anywhere!

If you're playing on normal, it probably doesn't matter too much. I'm not sure that luck would be a good flaw on higher difficulties though.

A few chapters into the game you'll unlock an island where you purchase and play DLC. You can't miss it.

TWILT

Banned
What would you suggest in place of luck?

I went with resistance as my flaw; never got hit that hard by any mage users. Just try your best to stay clear of them.

So I chose Speed as my Asset and Luck as my Flaw, is that alright (Hard/Casual)? Also how do I download DLC? every time I click it in the eshop it takes me to the game and can't find it anywhere!

Keep playing until you reach chapter 4.

Gestahl

So I chose Speed as my Asset and Luck as my Flaw, is that alright (Hard/Casual)? Also how do I download DLC? every time I click it in the eshop it takes me to the game and can't find it anywhere!

It's generally luck or resistance as a flaw, maybe DEF on lunatic since you're getting splattered regardless, so you're fine.

IllumiNate

I'm reading this posted on the interwebs
Luck - With the additional information Serenes Forest has gleamed, Luck has suddenly become one of the top, if not the top flaw to take, given that the secondary penalties are rather minimal in the long run (one point of Strength and Magic is basically nil when you can forge weapons and/or use legendary weapons).

Ferrio

Banned
So how do you max supports in hard difficulty and higher with reeking boxes so costly? Is there enough fights to max everyone? Or do you have to be very specific in who you pair up?

So how do you max supports in hard difficulty and higher with reeking boxes so costly? Is there enough fights to max everyone? Or do you have to be very specific in who you pair up?

Spotpass and DLC battles are the go-to optional fights on hard. As you said, reeking boxes are too expensive.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So... is there anyway to buy more seeds of trust? Support grinding has become a chore now. I really wish they had a DLC that addressed that part of the game.

johnsmith

remember me
So... is there anyway to buy more seeds of trust? Support grinding has become a chore now. I really wish they had a DLC that addressed that part of the game.

Use auto battle and skip all turns in the options. Go into a fight you can't lose, like Florina's spot pass fight. Only have the 2 units you want to level up in the fight and pair them. Supports are ridiculously easy to gain in this game.

Drago

After an hour and a half of torture I finally beat chapter 9 without losing Tharja and Libra, or any of my own crew.

I'm a terrible strategist. ._.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Use auto battle and skip all turns in the options. Go into a fight you can't lose, like Florina's spot pass fight. Only have the 2 units you want to level up in the fight and pair them. Supports are ridiculously easy to gain in this game.
Oh damn, I totally forgot about auto battle. I've been manually attacking. :/
Does that skip the entire battle if you are guaranteed a win?

I still wish there was an instant way to do it. They're already giving away infinite money and XP...

After an hour and a half of torture I finally beat chapter 9 without losing Tharja and Libra, or any of my own crew.

I'm a terrible strategist. ._.

Tharja is a ranged attacker, so put someone into her range that won't die when she and everyone else goes after them. And have Chrom close so he can recruit.

johnsmith

remember me
Oh damn, I totally forgot about auto battle. I've been manually attacking. :/
Does that skip the entire battle if you are guaranteed a win?

I still wish there was an instant way to do it. They're already giving away infinite money and XP...

In the options menu go to Skip Actions > All. Then when you auto battle it will skip your turn and the enemy's turn. Fights go very very fast this way. You can clear out a map in seconds. If you level up or die it'll stop until you go through the dialogue.

Drago

My biggest problems were that I was attacking the enemies attacking Libra, which caused him to fight to death against other enemies instead of talking to Chrom; I wasn't planning well on which enemies to attack near the end of the map, which either caused one of my units to die or causing Tharja to attack one of my units (which led to fatal counterattacks); luck just wasn't on my side in some cases. I was able to get through the last 3 or so chapters and paralogues without much difficulty, I just wasn't planning too well here. I need to go to bed :p

Artemisia

Banned
Hrm.. that's a good point. What's the point of classic when I'm just restarting when someone goes POOF.

Because it forces you to craft a plan that involves no one dying.

If you know that your units will return after falling in battle, you can be much more careless with them.

Because it forces you to craft a plan that involves no one dying.

If you know that your units will return after falling in battle, you can be much more careless with them.

Exactly. On casual, as long as you keep Avatar and Chrom alive you can just out attrition the enemy. It changes the way the game is played.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In the options menu go to Skip Actions > All. Then when you auto battle it will skip your turn and the enemy's turn. Fights go very very fast this way. You can clear out a map in seconds. If you level up or die it'll stop until you go through the dialogue.
Yeah, I just tried it. Too bad you can't just autobattle the entire fight rather than just each round. I guess it's a little faster, but it's still a bit of work. Ah well. lol

catalystxyz

Neo Member
Do you guys think I would have trouble finding a copy of this game later? I don't have a 3ds yet and I'm kinda holding out for a black/white XL.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Do you guys think I would have trouble finding a copy of this game later? I don't have a 3ds yet and I'm kinda holding out for a black/white XL.
A physical copy, maybe. At the worst I see it becoming harder to find and slightly more expensive than your average game, like Xenoblade, Radiant Historia, and, until recently, Dragon Quest V. There's always the digital option, though.

I hate paralogue 17. Being forced to spread out your units to cover every square someone could attack Tiki from, and then trying to keep everyone alive against hordes of Griffins and Wvyern Lords with ranged attacks when you can't move many units otherwise they'll kill Tiki immediately. Anyone have tips for beating this on Lunatic? I don't want to grind to just power my path through it.

Totakeke

I hate paralogue 17. Being forced to spread out your units to cover every square someone could attack Tiki from, and then trying to keep everyone alive against hordes of Griffins and Wvyern Lords with ranged attacks when you can't move many units otherwise they'll kill Tiki immediately. Anyone have tips for beating this on Lunatic? I don't want to grind to just power my path through it.

If you covered Tiki in a grid, you'll notice they only attack the unit in the middle. So they only attack the unit in their shortest path to Tiki. So the easy way is just to put your strongest unit there or whoever would be at the most advantage against the incoming enemy units.

Well, that's what happened in Hard anyway.

NeonZ

I don't agree with this at all. There's more interesting level/mission design in a single act of RD than the entirety of FE:A.

It's pretty clear that you like Radiant Dawn more than Awakening but your post is just entirely unrelated to what I was talking about. I never once mentioned stage design there, so your defense of Radiant Dawn doesn't really touch any of my points.

I'm talking about Radiant Dawn's utterly stupid character availability and stage spread, like how Micaiah's group ends up with less stages than Ike in part 3, even though they'll be underleved compared to Ike's party. Or how a character like Fiona ends up joining Micaiah's group late, while being underleved, ends up excluded from a few stages afterwards and there's little benefit to leveling her up considering how she only has standard growths with an odd spread. You've also got people like Tormod who could be technically a good character, but just gets excluded from being playable during most of the game just for the story, without any real "gameplay" reasons for it. Even in Ike's group, you've got one or two random additions like Lyre, who's completely inferior to other available options and has nothing to make up for it (initial starting stats or growth rates to exceed others easily later).

The incidental stuff like support conversations don't even add that much, since they're all vague about what's occurring in the story for obvious reasons or anime trope schlock ("I'm the ditz character" "I'm the tsundere character" "Let's go SHOPPING, mom!").

Leonardo, Edward, Nolan, Lyre and other secondary characters introduced in Radiant Dawn had little to nothing to them due to the lack of supports in that game, and the base conversations really didn't fill that hole. I mean, what does the player learn about Edward? That he plans to return to his village after the war is over? Yes, there are supports focused on humor here that might not "click" with everyone, but every character also has supports focused on their past and their actual character. No one ends up as much of as blank slate as the secondary characters introduced by Radiant Dawn.

rpmurphy

I don't know about Lunatic, but I noticed that in Hard, magic users came later. The only real strategy I think is to set up your units in a large pyramid, which leaves you with four spare units. Put your strongest characters out towards tip of the pyramid, have a healer support with Mend or Physic (if def weak) within the pyramid. Use Fortify if you have it for emergency situations. The two back row units should be "standby" characters that can swap out with the front if necessary, since a house-shaped formation is still safe. With the three remaining units outside the pyramid, hopefully they are strong archers or mages so that you can snipe away the strongest and ranged units before they attack your formation.

San Tacos

Neo Member
My story with this game and restarts:

1st - Normal/Classic. Got to chapter ~3 and I was getting murdered, thought it was too hard, so I restarted...

2nd - Normal/Casual - Make it chapter ~8 this time, and now that I get a grip of the mechanics of the game, I found it way too easy on casual. So I restarted...

3rd - Normal/Classic... Made it all the way to Chapter ~13... then I realized that I power leveled and the game was way too easy. I wasn't using any strategy at all in battles, other than bumrush everyone. That wasn't what I wanted to play the game for. So I restarted...

4th - Hard/Casual... Made it to Chapter ~4, I was playing very strategic and careful, then I realized... oh if anyone dies they can just come back. lol, this is too easy! So I tried again...

5TH - HARD/CLASSIC.... Made it to Chapter ~6 last night. Seems like the right balance for me of challenging enough without being punishing. I've had to restart a few times for deaths, but mostly I'm letting shit play out. I let the Axe/Fighter dude, die when he dies. I'm pretty much setting the rule if more than one dude dies, I'm quit. But I also have a small list of characters that I will not allow to die.

So there ya go. 25 hours on the Playlog, and only on chapter 6. LOL Even with all the restarts, I am REALLY enjoying the game on a whole. Now I know not to powergrind too much to ruin the difficulty.

Draxal

I don't agree with this at all. There's more interesting level/mission design in a single act of RD than the entirety of FE:A. At least RD's missions had different objectives every once and a while, not to mention the neat stuff it did with terrain and NPC armies every now and then.

And it accomplished that while having a much better story/worldbuilding than this game to boot. There are entire chapters that go by in FE:A where basically nothing happens. Nations/people just get introduced out of the blue with barely any explanation. It's really poorly told.

The incidental stuff like support conversations don't even add that much, since they're all vague about what's occurring in the story for obvious reasons or anime trope schlock ("I'm the ditz character" "I'm the tsundere character" "Let's go SHOPPING, mom!").

I'll be honest with you, video game stories suck. And of all the fire emblems I only think genealogy of the holy war is the only exception, and it's the only exception that its a pretty extreme divergence in character scope, and not that it was skillfully told. Basically it hit Game of Thrones big plot points before Game of Thrones existed. They just lose too much trying to shoehorn into a story around gameplay and gameplay sometimes does suffer because of it. I mean who the hell cares about Crimea/Begnion/Daein etc, just let me kill things fast.

San Tacos

Neo Member
You should play until Chapter 14 then restart on Lunatic.

lol wouldnt surprise me if I did. I'm telling myself that this is my last restart. And for added "challenge" I'm not going to restart to save characters... unless its a guy I really like. I'm trying to add in at least a couple of units where I say "if they die, they die" on my team on every mission.

Finally got this game last night (digital cause lol finding a retail copy) at chapter 2 hard/classic really impressed so far. I have to stop pairing everyone up its hard to protect injured characters and finish people off when my army count is halved. Picked skill/res as my male str/weak

San Tacos

Neo Member
Finally got this game last night (digital cause lol finding a retail copy) at chapter 2 hard/classic really impressed so far. I have to stop pairing everyone up its hard to protect injured characters and finish people off when my army count is halved. Picked skill/res as my male str/weak

Hrm I really struggle when and when not to use pairing in this game.

I want to pair units that when they are paired will help each other's strengths. For example, pairing a mage with great knight is kinda dumb because they buff his Mag/Res stats which he doesn't need. So I try to find pairs like MA/Sumina because they are both "speed" type of charactesr (at least thats my avatar's strength) so when they're paired they get boosted in their strength stats.

I also question though, what's the best thing to do after you hit a S rank with two characters? Do you keep pairing them up in battle for stat increases, or do you "share the love" and begin working on them pairing up with others to get their relationship to rank up?

rpmurphy

Welp, I'm on Chapter 9 and I accidentally killed Tharja. Should I reset?
CEjbdBq.jpg

Finally finished pairing my Morgan and Owain together, supports ended up being really cute. Kinda disappointed there's no "son-in-law" tag with the rest of the family.

CSX

So whats the strategy when you got promoted characters who are almost max stats but are at a early level? Throw in a lot of stat boost items to finish it up or continue to level up and class change??

Also, i assume the only way to get more arm scrolls is by buying from an Anna correct? T___T

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So whats the strategy when you got promoted characters who are almost max stats but are at a early level? Throw in a lot of stat boost items to finish it up or continue to level up and class change??

Also, i assume the only way to get more arm scrolls is by buying from an Anna correct? T___T
Get the promoted unit to 15 to get a skill and then second seal them.
I guess you could also get arms scrolls from enemies, but yeah, Anna.

I'm about to go to a StreetPas MeetUp.

Are teams balanced or something for multi-player or is it going to be one persons Level 5 team versus someone's Level 60 team?

Hrm I really struggle when and when not to use pairing in this game.

I want to pair units that when they are paired will help each other's strengths. For example, pairing a mage with great knight is kinda dumb because they buff his Mag/Res stats which he doesn't need. So I try to find pairs like MA/Sumina because they are both "speed" type of charactesr (at least thats my avatar's strength) so when they're paired they get boosted in their strength stats.

I also question though, what's the best thing to do after you hit a S rank with two characters? Do you keep pairing them up in battle for stat increases, or do you "share the love" and begin working on them pairing up with others to get their relationship to rank up?

From what i gather the boosts become stronger if the pair is married it sumia and chrom will give each other some extra stats if they are married

Also even getting an A rank will be beneficial for dual strikes and guards

I'm about to go to a StreetPas MeetUp.

Are teams balanced or something for multi-player or is it going to be one persons Level 5 team versus someone's Level 60 team?

I am not sure if there is balancing I personally dont think so and it's based on a person by person basis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom