• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nose Master

Is there a point to letting Panne get to level 30 (I'm assuming that's the cap) on Taguel before second sealing her?

Also, what characters produce
kids? If you double dip (marry panne with... chrom, for instance. I know that specific example isn't possible), do both of the paralogues pop after the marriage? Or are you just screwed out of one of the options?

Is there a point to letting Panne get to level 30 (I'm assuming that's the cap) on Taguel before second sealing her?

Also, what characters produce
kids? If you double dip (marry panne with... chrom, for instance. I know that specific example isn't possible), do both of the paralogues pop after the marriage? Or are you just screwed out of one of the options?

Raising Panne and the other characters in special class to level 30 allows you to second seal them directly into their other promoted classes. At any level lower, you can go into their basic classes.

After S-supporting and after chapter 13. The only way you can be screwed out of recruiting one is letting a female die or running out of male characters to be fathers.

NeonZ

I've finally beaten all FE7 spotpass teams. I started fighting the higher level ones right after finishing the main campaign on Hard. I lost a few times to Lyn's somehow, but got through Eliwood's and Hector's easily enough, but then I was completely stuck on Nergal's. His (not-final chapter morphs) team with brave weapons could one shot more than half of my end game party. I ended up having to change the stage, fighting against him in the sea stage, which split his party among the two ships, in order to actually beat him.

I kind of feel like I've cheated though... Anyway, a few things about the FE7 spotpass characters...

FE07_Eliwood_01_zpsa20786ed.jpg

Eliwood's hairstyle is different from Roy's, even in the 3d model. Roy seems to have the middle sized avatar hairstyle number 2 (short straight hair), while Eliwood has number 5 (short spiky hair).

FE07_Hector_01_zpsbc23182f.jpg

Hector was a general, likely because he was a general in FE6, but I really feel like Hero fits his younger FE7 self better...

FE07_Hector_02_zps5e5e5c5d.jpg

Lyn looks pretty decent in her standard class, I guess.

FE07_Lyn_01_zps5071a353.jpg

Nergal really shows the limitations of these generic avatar models though.

FE07_Nergal_01_zpsa2c0a3cf.jpg

Changing him to Sage helps his looks a bit, but not by much:
FE07_Nergal_02_zps117ffca9.jpg

(I'm also doing this to get him some extra skills)

All the reviews raved about how amazing it is... I find it extremely cheesy and juvenile.

The emotional moments are generally executed well if you aren't completely put off by the main narrative, and the supports help people getting into the characters, that's enough "story" for many, even if the main plot itself isn't impressive.

Both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn sacrificed gameplay features for the story, but it's pretty clear that Awakening's story was written around the gameplay. Things like the explanation for the second generation seem to be pretty clearly gameplay driven, with the story written around it. The main story could be better executed, in spite of that focus, but it didn't bother me overall.

I swear...looking at missions that have a giant desert in them...

...Hidden items...must find hidden items...someone tell me I don't need to!

There's only one item in the sand, but when you get in the right chapter there'll be dialogue about it, and there's a side-mission to go after hints to finally find it. It's not a random chance or game guide-only thing, unlike in past games.

Gestahl

Both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn sacrificed gameplay features for the story,

Uhh.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh The supports were halfassed in RD I guess???? Except that's not really gameplay okay give me a minute here

Uhh.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh The supports were halfassed in RD I guess???? Except that's not really gameplay okay give me a minute here

He's probably talking about all those characters that were unusable due to availability and stuff. Though I just figured that was because the game was rushed and chapters were cut.

So what's better for Donnel to pass onto Kjelle, Sol or Axebreaker? It's pretty disappointing how limited Donnel's skill selection is.

Why not that good-growths skill? The one that should be called Blossom but isn't.

NeonZ

Uhh.

Radiant Dawn did away with team options/choices with its fragmented storytelling for quite a few chapters of the game. In an usual Fire Emblem, you have 40+ characters, but can only deploy around 12, leading to different possible team choices in different playthroughs. Radiant Dawn pretty much forces the player to jump around different preset groups until end game, when it finally opens up. It also has often unbalanced availability for quite a few characters due to that, all to support its narrative and with no benefits to the gameplay.

Path of Radiance's compromises for the story were fairly minor in comparison, but they were clearly still there. Like no promotion for Sothe, no support endings and limited development in the supports, limited number of legendary weapons making some weapon types better than others by the end, King Laguz completely outdoing the playable Laguz the player can train throughout (or the playable Laguz being bad in order to highlight the royal ones)... All that happened solely due to the story and sequel set up, with no benefits to the game itself.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
God, so I'm playing on hard and trying to use Donnel but it's just painful trying to get him to a usable point. They let you take along so few characters that missing that spot is just painful.

Gestahl

God, so I'm playing on hard and trying to use Donnel but it's just painful trying to get him to a usable point. They let you take along so few characters that missing that spot is just painful.

I had no issue with it. There's plenty of archers on his starting map you can trap and he just needs a couple kills a map to start beasting by chapter 9 or 10.

Also Cherche has got to be one of the most annoying one note characters in this game, I do not give a shit about your stupid fucking wyvern christ woman get a life

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I had no issue with it. There's plenty of archers on his starting map you can trap and he just needs a couple kills a map to start beasting by chapter 9 or 10.

Also Cherche has got to be one of the most annoying one note characters in this game, I do not give a shit about your stupid fucking wyvern christ woman get a life

Well he's only at like level 5 at the moment, I just got him last map.

Hey! Cherche is hot. Not Tharja hot, but hot.

EDIT: Oh god I may have a problem...

PK Gaming

(oh-my-god you did not just do that.)

Cherche is awesome I think she's one of the better written characters actually. Honestly, her support scenes are fantastic (Virions & Gregors come to mind) and to top it off she's a great combat unit (she's the 2nd coming of Haar; have you SEEN those growths? She pumps iron)

I'm annoyed that you think she's all about minerva :<

Ok, thanks for the heads-up about the item in the sands as well as no others.

Anyone try out a D-rank weapon called Imposing Axe? How about lumber or other ridiculous items? =D

(oh-my-god you did not just do that.)

Cherche is awesome I think she's one of the better written characters actually. Honestly, her support scenes are fantastic (Virions & Gregors come to mind) and to top it off she's a great combat unit (she's the 2nd coming of Haar; have you SEEN those growths? She pumps iron)

I'm annoyed that you think she's all about minerva :<

No she totally is. I tried to get an S-support with her after we paired up and basically solo'd chapter 12, but all she wanted to talk about was her stupid wyvern and I gave up after the B-support. Then I paired her with Gregor and that was also all about Minerva's childhood.

backlot

No she totally is. I tried to get an S-support with her after we paired up and basically solo'd chapter 12, but all she wanted to talk about was her stupid wyvern and I gave up after the B-support. Then I paired her with Gregor and that was also all about Minerva's childhood.

She doesn't talk about Minerva at all if you pair her with Kellam.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, I love how much my taste for characters have changed...I'm the type of guy who likes to keep my entire team around the same level, more or less, so I've been taking time to grind them all up, and switching them around for each mission. Right now I've really grown to like Olivia (I wish I married her instead of Lissa, who I had married before I got Olivia), and Henry.

I'm kind of upset the list of recruitables is dwindling down now. :?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Cherche and Lon'qu is decent. Gets into Lon'qu's past.

TWILT

Banned
I really enjoyed the support conversations between Cherche and my avatar. Thought it was pretty funny. The S support is also really sweet. <3

She doesn't talk about Minerva in her support with Gaius either.

GeekyDad

Is it just me, or does the writing in this game suck? All the reviews raved about how amazing it is... I find it extremely cheesy and juvenile. I don't know why I feel this way. I am a few hours in and find myself skipping all the dialogue because its just so damn cheesy. Maybe its the JRPG in it? Or just a crappy translation? 8-4 said they did it, and honestly it just seems like crappy drivel you could find on peoples Xangas from back in 2001. I guess I was expecting some sort of final fantasy tactics level of maturity and complexity in terms is storyline? Thoughts?

Tldr: writing sucks and is juvenile. Anyone agree??

I agree. I don't feel as strongly perhaps as you do about it, but I think the dialogue is often not great. But what truly bugs me are the plot devices they use to try and tie everything together. The overarching story is fine, but things like being forced to fight an arena battle in order to win the allegiance of the khan is just ridiculous. It would be okay if the story was meant to be camp, but throwing political intrigue into the mix makes it all the more hard to swallow.

The supports are pretty hit and miss. Sometimes the characters get so caught up in their wacky anime antics and their own excessive wit (ie every other line ends up feeling like some attempted ice burn) that I forget these are even people in an army.

Where do they get the ovens for all those pies

That's the thing. In spite of having issues with the story, I still enjoyed the characters because of the Support conversations. Those bits were obviously meant to be funny, and in most cases, they were. And in the case of Virion and Cherche, it was downright sweet.

Awakening is one case where a poor story doesn't really detract from my enjoyment of this kind of game. It's just got too many other great things going on to get hung up on that -- for me at least.

Gestahl

I just think there's a vast difference between supports like Owain's where you find out a lot of his personality is a theatrical facade with deep personal issues related to his acting and grandiose behavior and then someone like Chrom's where it's "Hey you make really good pie LET's GET MARRIED" or "hey you saw me naked" "hey you saw ME naked" "LET'S GET MARRIED" that's all.

Tookay

Both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn sacrificed gameplay features for the story, but it's pretty clear that Awakening's story was written around the gameplay. Things like the explanation for the second generation seem to be pretty clearly gameplay driven, with the story written around it. The main story could be better executed, in spite of that focus, but it didn't bother me overall.

I don't agree with this at all. There's more interesting level/mission design in a single act of RD than the entirety of FE:A. At least RD's missions had different objectives every once and a while, not to mention the neat stuff it did with terrain and NPC armies every now and then.

And it accomplished that while having a much better story/worldbuilding than this game to boot. There are entire chapters that go by in FE:A where basically nothing happens. Nations/people just get introduced out of the blue with barely any explanation. It's really poorly told.

The incidental stuff like support conversations don't even add that much, since they're all vague about what's occurring in the story for obvious reasons or anime trope schlock ("I'm the ditz character" "I'm the tsundere character" "Let's go SHOPPING, mom!").

Gestahl

I don't agree with this at all. There's more interesting level/mission design in a single act of RD than the entirety of FE:A. At least RD's missions had different objectives every once and a while, not to mention the neat stuff it did with terrain and NPC armies every now and then.

And it accomplished that while having a much better story/worldbuilding than this game to boot. There are entire chapters that go by in FE:A where basically nothing happens. Nations/people just get introduced out of the blue with barely any explanation. It's really poorly told.

The incidental stuff like support conversations don't even add that much, since they're all vague about what's occurring in the story for obvious reasons or anime trope schlock ("I'm the ditz character" "I'm the tsundere character" "Let's go SHOPPING, mom!").

Yeah the part 2 finale of RD basically shits all over most of this game's chapters on its own.

And goddamn Severa is the worst in what you listed below, I really hope she has a personality buried somewhere in her support list unless it all feeds into the Tsundere complex the designers gave unnatural life to

Drago

and can someone reassure me that I'm not really missing out by playing this on an OG 3DS?

The game is exactly the same, only difference is that you're playing on a smaller screen :)

I don't really think this would be one of those games where there's a real benefit to XL screens, but there is a lot of text if you have trouble reading

TWILT

Banned
How the heck would they have showers in their tents.

I dunno. That's what happened unless I'm remembering it wrong. =P

Is Speed/Luck a good Asset/Flaw choice?

Edit: and can someone reassure me that I'm not really missing out by playing this on an OG 3DS?

Depends. You should be fine if you're playing on normal. Generally, you'll want luck for evasion/hit rate though.

I have an OG 3DS, and aside from having a smaller screen, you'll be fine.

IllumiNate

So I chose Speed as my Asset and Luck as my Flaw, is that alright (Hard/Casual)? Also how do I download DLC? every time I click it in the eshop it takes me to the game and can't find it anywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom