• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else guilty of saving up all the Seraph robes and other perm stat boosting items? I have so many i could pump one character up unbeleiveably or increases certain classes weaknesses np.. Just hoarding them because i'm thinking i'll waste em..

Who did you guys use them on or save them for? I'm thinking they'll be good to use on children perhaps?

Anyone else guilty of saving up all the Seraph robes and other perm stat boosting items? I have so many i could pump one character up unbeleiveably or increases certain classes weaknesses np.. Just hoarding them because i'm thinking i'll waste em..

Who did you guys use them on or save them for? I'm thinking they'll be good to use on children perhaps?

Children mostly have good enough growths that they won't need them. I just used them to enhance my already crazy units, and patch up glaring weak spots.

I been hoarding them since there's doesn't seem to be hard cap on the amount of stuff your convey can hold and the items end up stacking upon themselves anyway.

They aren't limited though since those random world map merchants can random pop in and sell you some.

NeonZ

Well, let me follow up by asking if you need to level up to support c in order to start leveling up to support b? In other words, could I just turtle in one level and then get support b, a, and s on the next three missions? Of do you start from zero every time after you watch the support event?

Thanks, by the way.

Yes, it basically works like that. Until you actually trigger the C support conversation, you won't start building up bonds to get a B support.

I thought that the presence of grinding made the game really uneven: it was brutally hard out of the gate and so required grinding, but then the grinding made the game pointlessly easy by the midway point.´

Grinding isn't necessary at all in Hard Classic mode and even Lunatic Classic. If you grind your most used characters before finishing the game, you invariably end up breaking the difficulty curve in any of the modes, besides maybe Lunatic +, which I haven't tried yet.

I see some of the people wishing they do away with the world map and go back to completely linear chapters without battles between them, but I hope they stay like this, if only for all the optional content this set up allows. I guess I could even be happy if the world map were only unlocked after finishing the game or something, but I don't want it away and see another game like Radiant Dawn or FE7 where the end game party has no point at all.

The world building is a complete mess, the antagonists are just kind of there

A big change that Awakening has done that people don't talk about much is doing away with the narrations between chapters, something that had been done in every FE since FE3. That automatically resulted in less world building - even FE3 ends up with bigger descriptions for each location. I don't know why they did that, maybe they think part of the larger audience considered them boring?

The barracks conversations are just as pathetic as the supports from Radiant dawn and could have actually been used to some effect to remedy this.

The barracks are just the shinning tile events (with one extra possible event - the temporary stat boosts). They clearly weren't intended to replace the base conversations.

And this game shrunk that handful, its a minor complaint in a large list of them which I have with the game, but it does have an effect on the world being created

I don't think that's really true, unless you're comparing it to Radiant Dawn, but Radiant Dawn had a very different narrative style due to not having real support conversations, so they had to fit all conversations in the intermissions/base conversations - and still, that ended up shafting many secondary characters, so I really don't miss the route Radiant Dawn took.

Poyunch

Fought my friend's Streetpass team and I used my ace against his. His Avatar attacked my Inigo with Astra and my Inigo used Counter which bounced off each attack.

I ended up with 1 HP and I finished his Avatar off with a Luna strike.
5J3OyON.jpg

Azusa

System seller for me. Just preordered black 3ds XL and a game. This kind of game I waited on 3ds. At first I wanted to preorder a bundle, but cover art is so awesome.

Thoraxes

Depends on what you want. I am playing on Normal Classic, and while I do lose battles, it's because I restart after any character loss. If I was playing on normal, casual, I probably wouldn't lose a fight.

I would say stick with what you have for a few fights to test the difficulty, and then chose if you want to make it normal/classic or hard/casual.

I'm in a hurry because EO IV comes out Tuesday, so I figure for my first playthrough i'll just do Normal/Classic, then when I come back to it in a month i'll do Hard/Classic for a second playthrough.

FE is one of those good replayable games, so I know it'll be fun coming back to it a month later.

Rarutos

The barracks are just the shinning tile events (with one extra possible event - the temporary stat boosts). They clearly weren't intended to replace the base conversations from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, which weren't even in the last two titles.
Base conversations were in FE12, actually.

I'm in a hurry because EO IV comes out Tuesday, so I figure for my first playthrough i'll just do Normal/Classic, then when I come back to it in a month i'll do Hard/Classic for a second playthrough.

FE is one of those good replayable games, so I know it'll be fun coming back to it a month later.

Oh definitely, I plop one in every couple of months just because they're super fun and the RNG always makes it feel a little bit different.

Pepboy

Fought my friend's Streetpass team and I used my ace against his. His Avatar attacked my Inigo with Astra and my Inigo used Counter which bounced off each attack.

I ended up with 1 HP and I finished his Avatar off with a Luna strike.

That is an awesome story and picture. Reminds me a samurai (movie) fight scene, where you are waiting to see who falls first.

Gestahl

I'm on chapter 21 and so far the game has been really good, I only wish that they'd kept the mid-battle save points from Shadow Dragon since a single mistake or bit of bad luck can ruin a good battle and make me have to start over. Also I haven't done much reclassing yet, will my people be able to keep their occult skills if they change or do they have to stick to one?

Midgame savepoints worked in 12 because each map was built as a set of 2-3 distinct encounters and the maps were generally larger and more involved, they would be pretty pointless here with the way this game is built.

A big change that Awakening has done that people don't talk about much is doing away with the narrations between chapters, something that had been done in every FE since FE3. That automatically resulted in less world building - even FE3 ends up with bigger descriptions for each location. I don't know why they did that, maybe they think part of the larger audience considered them boring?

Oh wow, I honestly hadn't noticed that for some reason. They really need to bring that back for the next time.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Bought this last night and I'm loving the hell out of it. I jumped straight in Hard/Classic even though I have relatively little experience with the series. It sure is the challenge I wanted. Ch. 5 kicked my ass for about an hour. In order to keep everyone alive, I had to ditch my usual defensive strategy and just hammer through the initial line of enemies so I could get Ricken and Maribelle out of immediate danger. Even then, I was kept on edge until the end. Reinforcements moving the turn they came out was especially uncool. That shit gave me some extra close calls I could have done without.

I did get a huge chuckle out of Lon'qu leveling up once and only having his luck increase. The RNG has a cruel sense of humor.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So just beat it, story was weak, but game was overall good. Yet question:
Used MU to beat the final boss. If my guy died, but his kids from the future are still alive.. how did he have them.. and what about the future kids.. do they go back to the future.. or do they live dually with themselves before and during and after they are born again.. how exactly do you explain that to your kids. They fuck things up so bad with these time travel stories, since they don't tie up the loose ends.

Also it seemed it needed a good 10 or more chapters to fully shape up the story. It felt so rushed, especially from Walhart to the end.. just bam-bam-bam over.

Used MU to beat the final boss. If my guy died, but his kids from the future are still alive.. how did he have them.. and what about the future kids.. do they go back to the future.. or do they live dually with themselves before and during and after they are born again.. how exactly do you explain that to your kids. They fuck things up so bad with these time travel stories, since they don't tie up the loose ends.

Also it seemed it needed a good 10 or more chapters to fully shape up the story. It felt so rushed, especially from Walhart to the end.. just bam-bam-bam over.

Didn't you watch the epilogue? The Avatar comes back and it makes it pretty clear that the children stay in the present timeline, with the possible exception of an unpaired Lucina.

Anteo

If you sacrificed MU, at the end of the credits there is an extra scene.
Also I remember Lucina saying that Naga said that maybe they wont be able to come back, so is probable that she never went back to the future.

Roto13

Someone should answer this question with a spoiler tag: is Frederick someone the game lets you keep? He seems so overpowered.

The thing about Frederick is that he kind of devours EXP. He could solo a lot of the early levels, but he won't get any stronger for it. Meanwhile, your other characters would get a lot more EXP from those same enemies. If you rely on Frederick too much, you'll be underleveled.

So that's his deal. He seems like Easy Mode, but he's not. :p

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
If you sacrificed MU, at the end of the credits there is an extra scene.
Also I remember Lucina saying that Naga said that maybe they wont be able to come back, so is probable that she never went back to the future.

Just saw that actually.. didn't wait all the way.. ha. Still the kids will live as older and younger versions of themselves. Strange. Disappointing in to a good game though. Yet, knowing how many chapters there were I kind of figured I'd be let down by the story.

Anteo

He also caps out pretty easy. Of course, it was nice having a crutch to start.

In two differents playthrough he has been one of the worse units in my party,even after training him in DLC maps. Donnel on the other hand is the opposite, he starts so weak that many gaffers have come to ask if he is useful at all.

In two differents playthrough he has been one of the worse units in my party,even after training him in DLC maps. Donnel on the other hand is the opposite, he starts so weak that many gaffers have come to ask if he is useful at all.

Frederick's main problem besides started as a promoted unit is that his bases are pretty terrible. This would be bad if reclassing wasn't available as his growths can't make up for his terrible bases in 19 levels.

Of course after reclassing almost everyone becomes a demi-god.

Kenai

So I got this a few days ago.
And decided to try it on casual as the prior FEs kicked my ass thoroughly. But it seems almost too easy (I'm on Chapter 2). I'm debating about just restarting under Normal I like a little challenge just not overbearing one.

Thoughts?

Not sure which FE's you played prior, but the interesting thing about this one is that it's not so crippling if you don't "baby" units at the very start of the game. It's still optimal but not required even on the harder difficulties. Thanks to the DLC you can continually summon "phantoms" at around whatever level you are and grind on them, plus there's usually a bunch of random Risen too. I actually found the beginning of the game harder than the end because of this, you'll start to snowball and when you do it just gets easier from there.

Unless you *hate* grinding I'd just say do at least Normal/Classic and if you want to level certain characters summon some lowbie units like Mist/Erika/Florina and work your way up. Whoever is overleveled can even help out with Pair-Up and/or weak weapons like Log/Slack Bow. It's really more fun playing it on harder difficulties for me, with that sense of danger. And the payout of your carefully groomed weaklings turning into powerhouses (aka
Donnel the map-clearing mini-god
is just a great feel.

Anteo

Frederick's main problem besides started as a promoted unit is that his bases are pretty terrible. This would be bad if reclassing wasn't available as his growths can't make up for his terrible bases in 19 levels.

Of course after reclassing almost everyone becomes a demi-god.

Yeah but the RNG hates him in my digital copy, he gets crappy stats in EVERY level up, heck think his Str is under 25 and he is in his 3rd reclass.

Heh, I didn't use Frederick in the beginning at all because I didn't want him eating exp. When I finally did use him in later battles after most characters were at his level, he ended up being almost too delicate to put on the field. Now I don't use him because he's just too weak.

Roto13

Here's something I just tried for the first time. :p I moved Chrom from the beginning of the level to a boss by passing him from unit to unit with Pair Up.

Roto13

I love it when the random items people find are tree branches. "I never seen nothin' like this on the farm!" *found a tree branch*

Venfayth

During the ending ...

I'm not sure if this really needs to be a spoiler, but whatever.

One of my characters had a gold medal next to the number of Battles and Victories. What does this mean?

Just started playing. Currently on Chapter 2.

I saw there was a free map you could download. When I go to the eShop to download it, it launches the games and that's about it.

Is there a certain point where I can access this? Since the offer is only until next week, just curious if I'll be able to download it in time.

Roto13

Do those random items have an actual purpose?

You can hit people with tree branches. :D

They're all weapons and items and stuff.

Just started playing. Currently on Chapter 2.

I saw there was a free map you could download. When I go to the eShop to download it, it launches the games and that's about it.

Is there a certain point where I can access this? Since the offer is only until next week, just curious if I'll be able to download it in time.

You have to finish level 4 or 5 or something to unlock the DLC shop.

It's nice that Leif actually resembles his character art. Micaiah's did too, but I think her design is terrible and just reuses Tharja's.

The new character art for the DLC characters are drawn to resemble how their new starting classes look like in the game. Of course in the game it still looks like generic model with a new hair color.

Roto13

The new character art for the DLC characters are drawn to resemble how their new starting classes look like in the game. Of course in the game it still looks like generic model with a new hair color.

Which is super duper disappointing. SpotPass characters I can easily overlook, but the paid DLC characters should at least have unique heads.

Frolow

Banned
Is there a special scene for when Chrom has to get married, or is it just a standard S-Rank support conversation? I'm curious since I unlocked the S-Rank conversation between Chrom and Sumia, but I'm right before the chapter where Chrom is supposed to get married.

Busaiku

Is there a special scene for when Chrom has to get married, or is it just a standard S-Rank support conversation? I'm curious since I unlocked the S-Rank conversation between Chrom and Sumia, but I'm right before the chapter where Chrom is supposed to get married.

Not for the marriage itself, but for things that follow.
Enjoy your pies.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu

If you don't get S rank with someone, there will be an extra scene at the end of chapter 11 with the girl that has the highest priority for him.

NeonZ

It's nice that Leif actually resembles his character art. Micaiah's did too, but I think her design is terrible and just reuses Tharja's.

DLC_Leif_01_zpsbe8c1f8c.jpg

It's kind of funny, Rogues are the only standard class that don't use Blue as main color, rather than that, they just went with Leif's colors for everyone! I guess it's part of the "Leif was a thief and turned everyone into thieves with the capture system!" joke they've got going (Leif Sword giving money and Leif himself being a thief or trickster).

Which is super duper disappointing. SpotPass characters I can easily overlook, but the paid DLC characters should at least have unique heads.

Yeah, I really want to see another FE attempting something like this but not implementing it in a rushed way and making the DLC stuff actually fully developed characters. It could lead to very amusing situations that would otherwise be completely impossible. Say, if the next FE is a prequel about the first Exalt, but they release Chrom as a DLC character and give him supports with the Exalt and other people from that time...

(spoilers about the epilogue)

The Avatar comes back and it makes it pretty clear that the children stay in the present timeline, with the possible exception of an unpaired Lucina.

I paired Lucina with Owain and just got that both left the world, and possibly returned to fight in their own future. Do Lucina's other pairings really keep her in the present world?

TWILT

Banned
During the ending ...

I'm not sure if this really needs to be a spoiler, but whatever.

One of my characters had a gold medal next to the number of Battles and Victories. What does this mean?

It simply means he/she is your most used unit that got the most kills and stuff. 2 other characters should have gotten a bronze and silver medal as well (your 2nd and 3rd best characters).

I paired Lucina with Owain and just got that both left that world, and possibly returned to fight in their own future. Do Lucina's other pairings really keep her in the present world?

I paired Lucina up with Gerome and they decided to live together in Wyvern valley or something like that. Didn't say if they decided to stay in the same time or go back to the future though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom