• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prax

I think the problem is that you feel obligated to do everything and do it perfectly on your first playthrough, and I doubt that was intended. You're probably better off just taking it as it comes, don't worry about min-maxing (and it's not required at all unless you're playing Lunatic).
That's the thing though.. I don't even do everything! I just pair whoever I like together, not really minding how their kids come out, I class change to things I feel like and I haven't second-sealed anyone and don't really plan to unless I really hit a level 20 cap early.

It is frustrating because I can't figure out what's wrong, and I maybe want to blame it on the existential angst of too many choices.. but maybe it's not that after all. It's still fun on a basic level. It might be the characters and story and map scenarios more than anything that is like.. grating against my sensibilities. Maybe I've read too many spoilers and.. I don't care about anything anymore? lol

autosugestión
I think maybe the fact that it needs to be done at all is pooping the party. Perhaps I have seen the Heroes of Yore map one too many times. XD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/NeonZ/Fire%20Emblem%20Awakening%20-%20Spotpass%20collection/DLC_Leif_01_zpsbe8c1f8c.jpg[IMG]

It's kind of funny, Rogues are the only standard class that don't use Blue as main color, rather than that, they just went with Leif's colors for everyone! I guess it's part of the "Leif was a thief and turned everyone into thieves with the capture system!" joke they've got going (Leif Sword giving money and Leif himself being a thief or trickster).

Yeah, I really want to see another FE attempting something like this but not implementing it in a rushed way and making the DLC stuff actually fully developed characters. It could lead to very amusing situations that would otherwise be completely impossible. [B]Say, if the next FE is a prequel about the first Exalt,[/B] but they release Chrom as a DLC character and give him supports with the Exalt and other people from that time...

(spoilers about the epilogue)

[spoiler]I paired Lucina with Owain and just got that both left the world, and possibly returned to fight in their own future. Do Lucina's other pairings really keep her in the present world?[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Isn't that just Marth though?

Anyway, I want them to make a full-blown Fire Emblem All-Stars game. None of this legacy character stuff. Just a game where the whole main cast is comprised of old units.

Set on Mars.

Anteo

Anyway, I want them to make a full-blown Fire Emblem All-Stars game. None of this legacy character stuff. Just a game where the whole main cast is comprised of old units.

Set on Mars.

Isn't there a guy before Marth? I'm sure Tiki say something like that in one of the supports.

Edit:

M: You were referring to THE King Marth, right? The man from two millennia ago? Well, he's a distant relation to Chrom, is he not?
T: That is correct.
M: So, I was wondering, wouldn't Chrom resemble him more than me?
T: Perhaps because Chrom is not like Marth. He is much more direct, and committed to what he believes is right. Chrom might more resemble a different ancestor, from the age I was born in. Another great man in their line, from 1000 years before Marth... But the Marth of my time was wise and fair, and won hearts with his kindness.

from Serenes Forest Forum

NeonZ

No, first Exalt is from 1000 years before Awakening. Marth is from 2000 years before Awakening and is always called the "Hero King". First Exalt doesn't have a name so far and apparently helped the Taguel, which weren't even around the continent during Marth's time. Considering how hard it'd be to do a direct sequel to Awakening, due to all the variables with the second generation and the S supports, I kind of expect the next FE with this engine to be a prequel focused on either this first Exalt or (spoilers for the last time released character)
Priam, a mercenary leader descendant from Ike who wields the Ragnell, apparently gathers a group as strong as Chrom's own, and joins the party for the final battle as an incridebly overpowered hero. The prequel in this case could focus on an adventure mostly unrelated to Awakening's story, showing how Priam's group came together and what they faced before.

Both of those seem to be there just as prequel hooks. They could basically have used Medeus and Marth as the backstory figures, but rather than that created this first Exalt and "Grima" to fill those roles, moving Marth to a further distant past. There seems to be little reason for them to even exist besides maybe focusing on that first war against Grima in a future game.

Draxal

Some of the skill combinations are kinda silly when combined together.

Noire as a bow assassin proccing lethality with that laugh of hers + pass/counter/bowfaire/galeforce is fun times.

I think I'm more into the Support dialogues than Persona Social Links. I've spent the last two days auto grinding them, trying to figure out who would be the best match for who. I'm becoming "that guy" (the word "waifu" has crossed my mind more times than I'd care to admit) and starting to creep myself out.

Kyzon

My Avatar just hit lvl 20 as an Assassin (my fav class). Any suggestions on what I should do with him next? Should I go back to thief like I did with my Yanne (took her back to lvl 1 taguel) or is it best just leaving him maxed out lvl wise?

Edit: Also, I just finished CH19 if that changes your answers

zroid

Banned
My Avatar just hit lvl 20 as an Assassin (my fav class). Any suggestions on what I should do with him next? Should I go back to thief like I did with my Yanne (took her back to lvl 1 taguel) or is it best just leaving him maxed out lvl wise?

AFAIK, there's no advantage to staying at a particular level. It's always better to reclass to get more skills, or even reclass to your current class just so you can keep gaining levels (unless your stats are all capped already).

Kyzon

AFAIK, there's no advantage to staying at a particular level. It's always better to reclass to get more skills, or even reclass to your current class just so you can keep gaining levels (unless your stats are all capped already).

Ah, Thanks. I guess I can try to get swordsmaster then revert to assassin again. That 5 hit combo skill is pretty useful.

More Editing: Also, is it possible to get S rank with more than one character? My Avatar is married, but I also like his convos with some of the other females.

Ah, Thanks. I guess I can try to get swordsmaster then revert to assassin again. That 5 hit combo skill is pretty useful.

More Editing: Also, is it possible to get S rank with more than one character? My Avatar is married, but I also like his convos with some of the other females.

One S rank per character. You are free to reach up to A rank with as many character as you can support.

Gestahl

That's the thing though.. I don't even do everything! I just pair whoever I like together, not really minding how their kids come out, I class change to things I feel like and I haven't second-sealed anyone and don't really plan to unless I really hit a level 20 cap early.

It is frustrating because I can't figure out what's wrong, and I maybe want to blame it on the existential angst of too many choices.. but maybe it's not that after all. It's still fun on a basic level. It might be the characters and story and map scenarios more than anything that is like.. grating against my sensibilities. Maybe I've read too many spoilers and.. I don't care about anything anymore? lol

I think maybe the fact that it needs to be done at all is pooping the party. Perhaps I have seen the Heroes of Yore map one too many times. XD

The game's story is really bad and barebones so I doubt reading spoilers did anything. Especially since they retcon almost all of the poignant moments in spotpass dlc

So I was using the DLC map EXP to get some of my weaker characters up to speed so I can try them out like Donny. Donny gets a kill and gets a level of just luck... Damn you RNG, I don't want to even calculate how low it is for him to get that poor of a level up.

So I was using the DLC map EXP to get some of my weaker characters up to speed so I can try them out like Donny. Donny gets a kill and gets a level of just luck... Damn you RNG, I don't want to even calculate how low it is for him to get that poor of a level up.

In the last 3 hours of gameplay, I kid you not, I've gotten 3 level ups with zero stat increases. Cursed base classes lowering stat chances...

One thing I wish they change is giving your Tricksters those awesome hats in battle. It's disappointing seeing them in the map sprite first and then seeing them hat-less in battle.

hao chi

(spoilers about the epilogue)

I paired Lucina with Owain and just got that both left the world, and possibly returned to fight in their own future. Do Lucina's other pairings really keep her in the present world?

I'm wondering what happens with Lucina if you pair her up with the Avatar. All it says regarding her in their ending is the only thing bards can agree on is that he loved his wife Lucina more than anything, which I'm guessing is the standard ending for anyone the Avatar marries.

I really want to get into this series bc im in love with nintendo and int sys., is there a game i should start with?

This one for US releases, Fire Emblem 3 Mystery of The Emblem if you want to try a Japanese fan translated game on the SNES. FE3 is Marth's story which if you've played Smash may be of interest to you

Gestahl

This one for US releases, Fire Emblem 3 Mystery of The Emblem if you want to try a Japanese fan translated game on the SNES. FE3 is Marth's story which if you've played Smash may be of interest to you

Yes he should play the game that only exists as a curiosity now with the DS remake existing

Downloaded and played the demo for this the other night, thought it was pretty great. Went out to buy it and can't find it anywhere, or even online haha

Shortages suck :(

I don't want to download it, either, so that option is out. Guess I'll be waiting patiently.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Got all of the children, hurray.
Now I can finally do Chapter 18.
Why before Chapter 18? I have 17 to do next and I haven't gotten all the children yet (I have most paralogues unlocked).
Wait what was wrong with New Mystery.

Everyone I know loved that game.
The biggest issue was the level design showing its age. Also, they tacked on elements from newer games without incorporating them well. It and Radiant Dawn are the only Fire Emblem games to make it stateside I haven't enjoyed. I do want to give RD one more shot, but I hated the structure.

Drago

Does the FE3 DS remake include both of the stories from the original game? I know that the original FE3 was both a remake of FE1 and a new game in itself, but since FE1 had a separate DS remake I assume that FE3 DS is only a remake of the new story? If it has both I'd consider playing that one after Awakening.

Gestahl

Does the FE3 DS remake include both of the stories from the original game? I know that the original FE3 was both a remake of FE1 and a new game in itself, but since FE1 had a separate DS remake I assume that FE3 DS is only a remake of the new story? If it has both I'd consider playing that one after Awakening.

FE11 is the halfassed remake of the original game that did not do nearly enough to freshen up a 20 year old story, FE12 is actually A Good Game if a little unbalanced in places on the higher difficulties.

The biggest issue was the level design showing its age. Also, they tacked on elements from newer games without incorporating them well. It and Radiant Dawn are the only Fire Emblem games to make it stateside I haven't enjoyed. I do want to give RD one more shot, but I hated the structure.

You're thinking of Shadow Dragon, not New Mystery.

Chrom

It does not.

New Mystery (which is FE3's Book 2 Remake) never came out in America.

The DS game that never arrived is a remake of just Book 2 which some added stuff to incorporate the My Unit stuff.

Ah, that's a shame. Might just play the original FE3 then seeing as that one has both games included. How does that one hold up today?

At its core, it is still a FE game. Just a dated in graphics and such but that's pretty much expected. It lacks characterization for a lot of the characters as supports weren't really a thing, weapon levels is a stat in the game that can increase at level ups, it hated axe users with a passion and you couldn't decide where units were placed at the beginning of the battle.

Just don't expect it to be as amazing as this game is and it could be enjoyable.

Drago

Just don't expect it to be as amazing as this game is and it could be enjoyable.

I imagine this is an expectation I'll need to have for all of the older games in the series, at least as far as accessibility goes.

I'll probably go from this game to FE3 then to FE7 (as I also own that one, it's in my backlog), and I'll see where it goes from there. I want to play the entire FE series :)

NeonZ

Ah, that's a shame. Might just play the original FE3 then seeing as that one has both games included. How does that one hold up today?

I like the original FE3 and got into the FE series through it, but it can seem very feature lacking if you're coming from later titles. The core of the game has been kept the same (unlike FE1, FE Gaiden and FE 4 which have many core elements which didn't become standard features of the series), but it lacks many of the later additions.

No weapon triangle, no unique sprites for most characters, aside from portraits, most of the story is just told through narration, with only Marth and npcs having dialogue, outside of some conversations to get new party members (everyone becomes mute after joining the player, outside of a few rare character specific convos, like Caeda convincing some units to join Marth's army), some classes can't promote (like thief, Lord and Fighters), but all stats always cap at 20, for both promoted and unpromoted classes, so it's not such a big problem. Pegasus Knights promote to Dragon Knights, losing Resistance while doing so... No rescue or pair up or any similar mechanic like that, no weapon rankings. No myrmidon/Sword Masters, only mercenaries/heroes, no skills...

It does have a few things that don't exist in most later titles though, like every mounted unit being able to dismount, and being forced to fight like that in castle stages and a unit that can mimic any other playable unit.

I imagine this is an expectation I'll need to have for all of the older games in the series, at least as far as accessibility goes.

I'll probably go from this game to FE3 then to FE7 (as I also own that one, it's in my backlog), and I'll see where it goes from there. I want to play the entire FE series :)

You could easily just substitute Marth's game with the DS remakes. They hold up much better now than the NES/SNES originals and does incorporate some new features to make the game more playable.

FE4 and onwards easily hold up on their own as good games.

Chrom

For what it's worth, Book 1 (the FE1 remake in FE3) is only an abridged retelling. While some people may prefer it to Shadow Dragon, it omits characters and entire chapters from the original game. If you're looking for the most genuine, playable game of the original story, your best bet would actually be Shadow Dragon.

I still like FE3 a lot, though. At the very least, I think it's certainly an enjoyable game even if it's a lot simpler than later games.

Gestahl

Making FE3 your second FE is incredibly dumb. Just play FE7 and then dabble in 6,8,9, 10, and 11+12 before trying something like 3 or 4 (although 4 is probably one of the best games in the series even if it is the most unorthodox).

Drago

So I should just play 7 next then? And I'd follow that up with 6 since that story follows up on 7's... that sounds like the best idea. I'll look into the DS remakes after those two, and who knows where I'll go after that. Probably 8 since I have it as an ambassador title but didn't get very far in it.

Drago

Finally bought this thing Friday. I may have a glitch. Nobody has feet. Does anybody else have this issue?

That's how the models are designed, lol

I got over it pretty quickly. Don't even notice it now, but I barely see models anyway as I have animations turned off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom