• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tendo

which units you can marry, which gender-exclusive classes you have access to, and whether your child (Morgan) will be male or female (always opposite gender)

Cool. Nothing plot wise then. Thanks!

Playing classic mode. Haven't played a FE since sacred stones. Gonna kill all my units and have fun doing it. Ha.

Wilsongt

Brady has great quotes.

His C support with his father: "You just sit there and drink your damn tea!"

Also, for my final team:

Chrom -- Great Lord
Inigo -- Hero (DonnyxOlivia)
FeMU -- Grandmaster
Maribelle -- Valkyrie
Donny -- Hero
Owain -- Swordmaster (RickenxLissa)
Gerome -- Wyvern Lord (Lon'quxCherche)
Lissa -- War Cleric
Ricken -- Sage
Morgan -- Paladin (ChromxFeMU)
Gaius - Assassin
Lon'qu -- Sword Master
Lucina -- Great Lord (ChromxFeMU)
Virion -- Bow Knight
Sumia -- Dark Flier
Karel -- Swordmaster

WatTsu

Just got this from the eShop on Friday and I absolutely adore it as a relative newcomer to Fire Emblem (I've really only played some of the GBA one that came with the Ambassador program). The DLC is even making me nostalgic for games I've never played.

bryehn

Just finished Chapter 10 and I'm really going to need some master seals soon, most of my mains are starting to max out. Is there anywhere I can farm/buy them now/soon? I have all the DLC so far, but haven't done any SpotPass battles.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Just finished Chapter 10 and I'm really going to need some master seals soon, most of my mains are starting to max out. Is there anywhere I can farm/buy them now/soon? I have all the DLC so far, but haven't done any SpotPass battles.

Chapter 13 you can start buying them, and if you have the Paralogue for
Cordelia's kid
you can get Second seals as soon as you beat that.

I've been sitting at Chapter 14 for awhile because of this >.>

Roto13

You can eventually buy them from shops. I don't think there's any other way to get them reliably. (I guess sometimes the houses in the DLC can give them to you.)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Brady has great quotes.

His C support with his father: "You just sit there and drink your damn tea!"

FF7 reference? This game is all over the place with references, wonder how many I didn't pick up on.

Chapter 13 you can start buying them, and if you have the Paralogue for
Cordelia's kid
you can get Second seals as soon as you beat that.

I've been sitting at Chapter 14 for awhile because of this >.>

Edit: You can buy Second Seals after chapter 16, which is probably easier than getting through that paralogue.

I'm about 30 hours in. Playing on Hard/Classic. I've got a handful of missions left. Not sure I feel like finishing.

I'm lukewarm on the game. It's been a few years since my last go with a FE game, and perhaps I have rose-colored glasses on, but this game feels like a misstep. I've found that the levels (and the progression through the game) are less well-balanced than in past games. I thought that the presence of grinding made the game really uneven: it was brutally hard out of the gate and so required grinding, but then the grinding made the game pointlessly easy by the midway point. I've also found the enemy AI to be pretty brutal. Additional, I've found the levels to be less interesting and less varied. And they have seemed shorter, too, on average. (I have memories of often spending like 60+ minutes on a map in some past games, but maybe I'm crazy.)

I enjoyed the game well enough, but I just can't stop feeling like this game isn't as great as past efforts. Am I nuts?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm about 30 hours in. Playing on Hard/Classic. I've got a handful of missions left. Not sure I feel like finishing.

I'm lukewarm on the game. It's been a few years since my last go with a FE game, and perhaps I have rose-colored glasses on, but this game feels like a misstep. I thought that the levels (and the progression through the game) was less well-balanced than in past games. I thought the levels were less interesting and less varied. The levels seemed shorter, too. (I have memories of often spending like 60+ minutes on a map in some past games, but maybe I'm crazy.) I thought that the presence of grinding made the game really uneven: it was brutally hard out of the gate and so required grinding, but then the grinding made the game pointlessly easy. I also found the enemy AI to be pretty brutal.

I enjoyed the game well enough, but I just can't stop feeling like this game isn't as great as past efforts. Am I nuts?

There are things that didn't really carry over like differing mission objectives and map hazards (fog of war, anti-magic zones and the like). I'm sort of with you on the grinding, I liked PoR's battle exp better myself. That said Awakening really distilled what it means to be a Fire Emblem game and improved on a lot of the mechanics. For future games I'd like to see them do away with grinding, bring back some map hazards and ditch pair up (they can still have characters team up in battle but pair up can be a little broken at times).

EDIT: Also bring back the magic triangle, the way it's set up right now makes magic boring.

I'm lukewarm on the game. It's been a few years since my last go with a FE game, and perhaps I have rose-colored glasses on, but this game feels like a misstep. I thought that the levels (and the progression through the game) was less well-balanced than in past games. I thought the levels were less interesting and less varied. The levels seemed shorter, too. (I have memories of often spending like 60+ minutes on a map in some past games, but maybe I'm crazy.) I thought that the presence of grinding made the game really uneven: it was brutally hard out of the gate and so required grinding, but then the grinding made the game pointlessly easy. I also found the enemy AI to be pretty brutal.

The levels definitely seem shorter. Other FE games I'd play one chapter and quit for the day from exhaustion. Awakening I play one map and feel unsatisfied. And the maps definitely aren't as interesting as previous games.

Prax

You are probably not nuts.
Unfortunately, I have hit a hiatus and have been stuck on Chapter 13-14 forever (I have played over 30 hours by now) because for some reason, it seems daunting to grind relationships and levels to play all the paralogues and I don't even think the characters are so compelling that I WANT to continue.

I will though! I must.. finish every Fire Emblem!

But it IS worrying that the last time I felt such ennui toward continuing a Fire Emblem game was FE11. I left that game for a year because it was so bland. And I don't know why it's happening with Awakening. It really is a much better game in every way on paper, but... :T I dunno! Maybe the story and characters DO seem too shallow compared to what I expect! Plus the endless class combinations and min-maxing involved is really not my thing (and makes me feel the characters are not really unique at all), but almost seems required. Guh. I dunno. It's turning into a gaiden game to me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I'm lukewarm on the game. It's been a few years since my last go with a FE game, and perhaps I have rose-colored glasses on, but this game feels like a misstep. I've found that the levels (and the progression through the game) are less well-balanced than in past games. I thought that the presence of grinding made the game really uneven: it was brutally hard out of the gate and so required grinding, but then the grinding made the game pointlessly easy by the midway point. I've also found the enemy AI to be pretty brutal. Additional, I've found the levels to be less interesting and less varied. And they have seemed shorter, too, on average. (I have memories of often spending like 60+ minutes on a map in some past games, but maybe I'm crazy.)

I think I agree with pretty much all those complaints except the part about the second half of the game being easy. But I also didn't grind to make my good units better, the only grinding I ever did was on weak units just to get them up with my other units.

Still, I found the difficulty out of whack compared to previous games, there were some pretty obvious spikes.

Unfortunately, I have hit a hiatus and have been stuck on Chapter 13-14 forever (I have played over 30 hours by now) because for some reason, it seems daunting to grind relationships and levels to play all the paralogues and I don't even think the characters are so compelling that I WANT to continue.

But it IS worrying that the last time I felt such ennui toward continuing a Fire Emblem game was FE11. I left that game for a year because it was so bland. And I don't know why it's happening with Awakening. It really is a much better game in every way on paper, but... :T I dunno! Maybe the story and characters DO seem too shallow compared to what I expect! Plus the endless class combinations and min-maxing involved is really not my thing (and makes me feel the characters are not really unique at all), but almost seems required. Guh. I dunno. It's turning into a gaiden game to me.

I think the problem is that you feel obligated to do everything and do it perfectly on your first playthrough, and I doubt that was intended. You're probably better off just taking it as it comes, don't worry about min-maxing (and it's not required at all unless you're playing Lunatic).

Outside of the supports the story in this game feels like a massive let down. The world building is a complete mess, the antagonists are just kind of there and character relationships beyond support convos are almost non existent. The barracks conversations are just as pathetic as the supports from Radiant dawn and could have actually been used to some effect to remedy this. Also it feels like every other FE has to axe either light or dark magic for no particular reason and have the other one be overpowered (dark magic in Awakening being much more egregious).

I still enjoyed my ~40 hours and will probably end up finishing the paralogues and DLC but I can't imagine putting this up as the best of the series.
(Also first post on GAF, yay)

johnsmith

remember me
Outside of the supports the story in this game feels like a massive let down. The world building is a complete mess, the antagonists are just kind of there and character relationships beyond support convos are almost non existent. The barracks conversations are just as pathetic as the supports from Radiant dawn and could have actually been used to some effect to remedy this. Also it feels like every other FE has to axe either light or dark magic for no particular reason and have the other one be overpowered (dark magic in Awakening being much more egregious).

I still enjoyed my ~40 hours and will probably end up finishing the paralogues and DLC but I can't imagine putting this up as the best of the series.
(Also first post on GAF, yay)

Outside of a handful of characters this is always the case in Fire Emblem games. Besides the lord and his handful of advisors, the rest of the cast never gets any story development.

Soulhouf

Basilio = best character in the game.
It's a shame he becomes playable only too late :(

He was able to kill Validar in that chapter B)

raigeki11

Neo Member
I'm on chapter 21 and so far the game has been really good, I only wish that they'd kept the mid-battle save points from Shadow Dragon since a single mistake or bit of bad luck can ruin a good battle and make me have to start over. Also I haven't done much reclassing yet, will my people be able to keep their occult skills if they change or do they have to stick to one?

I'm on chapter 21 and so far the game has been really good, I only wish that they'd kept the mid-battle save points from Shadow Dragon since a single mistake or bit of bad luck can ruin a good battle and make me have to start over. Also I haven't done much reclassing yet, will my people be able to keep their occult skills if they change or do they have to stick to one?

No occult skills. You just accrue skills as you level up and you can stick them on whenever you feel like. So you can reclass and get even more skills.

Boney

Banned

autosugestión

Outside of a handful of characters this is always the case in Fire Emblem games. Besides the lord and his handful of advisors, the rest of the cast never gets any story development.

And this game shrunk that handful, its a minor complaint in a large list of them which I have with the game, but it does have an effect on the world being created

Chorazin

Just ran through the Golden Gaffe and EXPonential Growth DLC maps to grind my dudes. That's some good shit right there. I wanted all my guys at 10 minimum before continuing on with the story.

Then I spend a ton of Gold buying the awesome weapons some of the SpotPass characters sell, like the Killer Lance and Erika's Sword. Anyone who can wield those now are!

They need to dump reclassing for the next game, feels like a lot of units have lost their individuality and usefulness because of it. They also need to make sure promoted classes still resemble the characters and not just their heads attached to generic units.

Tan

Battery died during Chapter 25 graaaaah.

Also Gregor makes a reference to "what a horrible night to have a curse."

johnsmith

remember me
And this game shrunk that handful, its a minor complaint in a large list of them which I have with the game, but it does have an effect on the world being created
This is far outweighed by the fact that there's no limit to the amount of supports you can have, as opposed to 5 ranks in the previous games. Because of this, this game easily has the most character development of any Fire Emblem game.

Sorian

Banned
So I have a question and I don't know if its a spoiler (post chapter 11)

I had the MU marry Chrom because I thought they had the best support convos, let's be honest walking in on each other naked is how you start a relationship, my question is: Am i correct in thinking that there is a child automatically linked to both Chrom and the MU? If so, do I lose one of these children or will I still get both as normal? I just beat 11 and have been doing side stuff so I know that the child linked to Chrom was now born.

So a friend of mine wanted to play through the Fire Emblem on gba before starting Awakening since he never really played any FE games and I found out that he wasn't using the pre-battle damage/hit/crit percentages at all..... I have no idea how he even got halfway through the game without utilizing a main part of the gameplay. >_>

Roto13

I had the MU marry Chrom because I thought they had the best support convos, let's be honest walking in on each other naked is how you start a relationship, my question is: Am i correct in thinking that there is a child automatically linked to both Chrom and the MU? If so, do I lose one of these children or will I still get both as normal? I just beat 11 and have been doing side stuff so I know that the child linked to Chrom was now born.

You'll get both.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

You still get both kids, they'll just be siblings.

Frolow

Banned
Just finished Chapter 9.
What happens if you choose to sacrifice Eym at the end? I'm going to guess it's same outcome just with some different dialog, but correct me if I'm wrong.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Chapter 9.
What happens if you choose to sacrifice Eym at the end? I'm going to guess it's same outcome just with some different dialog, but correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right, and that applies to pretty much all the choices in this game.

Lexxism

There's a new available DLC map pack(Lost Bloodlines Pack). I'm wondering if this is a must have dlc or I'm pretty much fine of not having it?

Chrom

There's a new available DLC map pack(Lost Bloodlines Pack). I'm wondering if this is a must have dlc or I'm pretty much fine of not having it?

The Lost Bloodlines Pack contains three DLC maps that will all eventually be sold separately, with LB1 already being available. At the very least, I think you'd want LB2 since that gives you access to the new Demon Fighter class, which is really good. LB3 is also notable because it offers the Paragon skill (2x EXP when equipped), where as LB1 doesn't offer much in comparison. I'd recommend just buying the Pack though, since to me it seems like you'd be buying all three for the price of just two, which I see as a decent deal.

ronito

So I got this a few days ago.
And decided to try it on casual as the prior FEs kicked my ass thoroughly. But it seems almost too easy (I'm on Chapter 2). I'm debating about just restarting under Normal I like a little challenge just not overbearing one.

Thoughts?

Also what's with all the peg legs?

CSX

And decided to try it on casual as the prior FEs kicked my ass thoroughly. But it seems almost too easy (I'm on Chapter 2). I'm debating about just restarting under Normal I like a little challenge just not overbearing one.

Thoughts?

It will get harder dont worry.

And the peg legs were supposedly an artistic choice (look at OT)

Tunavi

Banned

Thoughts?

Hard/Classic is the only way to play the game.

Lexxism

The Lost Bloodlines Pack contains three DLC maps that will all eventually be sold separately, with LB1 already being available. At the very least, I think you'd want LB2 since that gives you access to the new Demon Fighter class, which is really good. LB3 is also notable because it offers the Paragon skill (2x EXP when equipped), where as LB1 doesn't offer much in comparison. I'd recommend just buying the Pack though, since to me it seems like you'd be buying all three for the price of just two, which I see as a decent deal.

I see. Thank you for enlightening me. I might as well buy this pack.

Thoughts?

Depends on what you want. I am playing on Normal Classic, and while I do lose battles, it's because I restart after any character loss. If I was playing on normal, casual, I probably wouldn't lose a fight.

I would say stick with what you have for a few fights to test the difficulty, and then chose if you want to make it normal/classic or hard/casual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom