• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm only now using Owain for the first time ever. I just saw his first support conversation with Morgan and it was really cute. Owain decided that Morgan is his rival and Morgan is totally fine with that because being Owain's rival is awesome.

What? I just finished my Owain x Morgan ranks and the story was different.

Owain is a badass name by the way.

PK Gaming

I honestly don't get why people re-class in such large numbers, the game isn't difficult enough that you'd need to exploit the class system to win, and it just homogenizes your army even further.
Beyond a few units (Frederick and Donnel mostly) it seems unnecessary

I agree

For example, I don't understand everyones fixation with Galeforce. I have not seen the need to reclass a female unit thats so far gone from peg knight/dark flier(like maribelle or lissa), just to get dark flier. I can understand doing so to pass down galeforce to units who can't get them (to make super units) but I don't think "every" child unit should have it. It's a cool and powerful ability, but it isn't completely necessary in the least bit. It sickens me that people would even go as far to put down very good combat characters (like cherche or panne) because they can't get galeforce.

Nose Master

Anyone else disappointed by MU's (general not really spoilers, spoilers:)
"strategy"? I was expecting something more akin to Shu in Suikoden 2. She's made out to be this master tactician, and her plans generally boil down to "divide and conquer!" (or something similarly obvious) "GOD DAMNED GENIUS!"

johnsmith

remember me
"strategy"? I was expecting something more akin to Shu in Suikoden 2. She's made out to be this master tactician, and her plans generally boil down to "divide and conquer!" (or something similarly obvious) "GOD DAMNED GENIUS!"

Well he's a tactician, which refers to small scale skirmishes, the ones you control in the game. And his skills refer more to how he can innately see things like weapon triangles, movement ranges, etc, that we see because it's a video game, but obviously a real soldier does not.

Turok_TTZ

anyone notice what nowi says when getting exp from special tile? met a new friend that implied was bantu. speechless, i thought that guy would have surely died of old age. he looked pretty old in shadow dragon.

what I really wanna know is how bantu could even survive this long without his dragonstone.

Gestahl

The thing that most bothered me on this issue was that no one really batted an eye when they decided to
simultaneously burn alive and drown Valm's invasion army with flaming ramships. Those are some pretty vicious underhanded tactics that most Fire Emblem protags usually don't engage in. At least some people gave quizzical looks when Micaiah started hauling oil tins around screaming "FIRE FIRE! BURN THEM ALL" in RD.

I agree

For example, I don't understand everyones fixation with Galeforce. I have not seen the need to reclass a female unit thats so far gone from peg knight/dark flier(like maribelle or lissa), just to get dark flier. I can understand doing so to pass down galeforce to units who can't get them (to make super units) but I don't think "every" child unit should have it. It's a cool and powerful ability, but it isn't completely necessary in the least bit. It sickens me that people would even go as far to put down very good combat characters (like cherche or panne) because they can't get galeforce.
tbh I think I've been getting much more use out of Deliverer than I have been out of Galeforce up to now. I guess I've been doing it wrong but my Dark Fliers can't guarantee a kill on anyone by themselves, so either someone else has to set up a kill for them or else I have to depend on the support character doing an attack (which is honestly pretty often but is still a chance thing). With Deliverer though, Cherche and Panne are bombers with Sidewinder on forever. That's just awesome.

PK Gaming

tbh I think I've been getting much more use out of Deliverer than I have been out of Galeforce up to now. I guess I've been doing it wrong but my Dark Fliers can't guarantee a kill on anyone by themselves, so either someone else has to set up a kill for them or else I have to depend on the support character doing an attack (which is honestly pretty often but is still a chance thing). With Deliverer though, Cherche and Panne are bombers with Sidewinder on forever. That's just awesome.

Dark Flier is such a crappy class

it's literally only used for its ability, its very mediocre outside of that

and yes I agree Deliver is insane and your AW reference makes me so very happy :D

How should one handle having so many characters to choose from? Should I just focus on the characters I like, or should I level as many as I can? Are some essential?

hao chi

How should one handle having so many characters to choose from? Should I just focus on the characters I like, or should I level as many as I can? Are some essential?

I just go with the ones I like. Though if you ever play on lunatic, you'll probably want to choose the "best" units though.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
How are you supposed to handle Donny? Level him up fully and then reclass? Or reclass immediately? Because trying to grind him up is so difficult with how weak he is :/

Gestahl

How are you supposed to handle Donny? Level him up fully and then reclass? Or reclass immediately? Because trying to grind him up is so difficult with how weak he is :/

Get him to level 10, turn him into a mercenary, and watch the rest of the game melt away, into the twilight of winter

Margalis

Banned

I always just level everyone evenly in these games for the most part. There are always some characters who fall away, for example in the first GBA version it was too hard to level more than one or two healers due to the way healing XP worked, and I didn't really need the 4+ cavalry guys so I just picked a few to go with, but for the most part I level everyone. Always been that way in SRPGs. I just like to experience every class and unit.

It does make the game artificially harder but if you are playing on normal it's kind of like playing your own self-made hard.

Also a lot of games of this type have diminishing XP gains as you fight guys closer to your own level so spreading XP out across twice as many guys doesn't give you an average level 1/2 what it would be otherwise, more like 3/4 or more.

Canon

Banned
I have to compliment this game for having so many female characters. Is it just me in noticing this? And they're actually... well written?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Get him to level 10, turn him into a mercenary, and watch the rest of the game melt away, into the twilight of winter

Uhhhggg, leveling him up to 10 is going to be such a pain though. Especially when I'm already trying to fight between keeping Nowi/Miriel/Virion/Stahl up at the same time while also trying to not overgrind...

I'll know when the ability to grind unlocks, right?

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Yeah that kid!

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
You can always have Donny pick on poor Moulder from the Spotpass after killing the rest of the units since he's a priest.

Works perfectly when he's still a villager.

Lusankya

I have to compliment this game for having so many female characters. Is it just me in noticing this? And they're actually... well written?

Uh, Fire Emblems typically have lots of female characters actually.

Indeed, in Fire Emblem women are completely able fighters (though there are some classes exclusive to each gender).

I think in Awakening the ratio is nearly 50-50 while in older Fire Emblems there are fewer women. In Fire Emblem 7 there are 13 women and 31 men.

Donnel's end game status is pretty sad. He has such crap skill and class selection that he ends up one of the worst characters. Terrible early on, overpowered in the middle, and poor again at the end, Donnel loves his extremes.

NeonZ

Donnel's end game status is pretty sad. He has such crap skill and class selection that he ends up one of the worst characters. Terrible early on, overpowered in the middle, and poor again at the end, Donnel loves his extremes.

Well, "at the end" there basically means the "Strongest One's Name" DLC, he's perfectly usable otherwise.

In fact, it's mostly the DLC that hurts Donnel's end game usability. His high luck allows him to keep using Leif Blade to get money for the party without destroying the weapon, but the DLC makes that ability to get money unnecessary, thanks to the Golden Gaffe, and it also allows everyone else to raise their luck easily and reach past 50 thanks to limit breaker.

Although his class selection is limited, at least he has Hero, with its decent speed cap and all around stats, access to Sol and Counter.

Well, "at the end" there basically means the "Strongest One's Name" DLC, he's perfectly usable otherwise.

In fact, it's mostly the DLC that hurts Donnel's end game usability. His high luck allows him to keep using Leif Blade to get money for the party without destroying the weapon, but the DLC makes that ability to get money unnecessary, thanks to the Golden Gaffe, and it also allows everyone else to raise their luck easily and reach past 50 thanks to limit breaker.

Although his class selection is limited, at least he has Hero, with its decent speed cap and all around stats, access to Sol and Counter.

He's usable (but who isn't?), but he falls behind the other characters once they've reclassed a few times. And that's before they've even capped out. Sol is good, but I've found counter to be pretty mediocre for player units. I suppose it sort of makes sense though, the only thing Donnel has going for him is aptitude, and once that no longer cancels all of his other weaknesses out, there isn't much left.

whats everyone going with their stat boosters? any recommendations on which characters to use them on? Like seraphs robes +5 hp.. and the other stat boosters

Gestahl

whats everyone going with their stat boosters? any recommendations on which characters to use them on? Like seraphs robes +5 hp.. and the other stat boosters

Stat boosters are not nearly as important or valuable in this game so just use them on whoever you're using that needs the boost.

GeekyDad

There are lots of way you can use them, really. Some folks like to use the boosts to further boost units that are already heavy in a particular stat, or you can try to strengthen a unit who is perhaps weak in a certain stat in order to better balance them. Of course, you wouldn't want to boost Strength on a mage, or vice versa. You can always give them to units who got screwed by the RNG when leveling up. Wouldn't worry too much either way, though. Your party will become godly fairly early on.

NeonZ

He's usable (but who isn't?), but he falls behind the other characters once they've reclassed a few times. And that's before they've even capped out.

Once they've reclassed "a few times", pretty much any main game enemy becomes a joke though. Saying that he falls behind end-game makes it seem like he'd have problems with the final chapters or lvl20 Bonus Team battles.

Sol is good, but I've found counter to be pretty mediocre for player units. I suppose it sort of makes sense though, the only thing Donnel has going for him is aptitude, and once that no longer cancels all of his other weaknesses out, there isn't much left.

Huh... I've just mentioned the Leif Blade and Armsthrift? His high luck does give some advantages until the later DLC completely crushes it.

Once they've reclassed "a few times", pretty much any main game enemy becomes a joke though. Saying that he falls behind end-game makes it seem like he'd have problems with the final chapters or lvl20 Bonus Team battles.

He wasn't as useful for clearing the harder paralogues on Lunatic as other characters. I think you're placing too much emphasis on my use of the word endgame, I never meant to say he wasn't fine for the main game.

Finally got the game :D YEAH!!!!!!!!

Anyway outside of the free DLC , any DLC worth getting? Its the DLC pack on sales now worth it? Playing hard with classic mode now.... Demo seems harder but i have good luck on my side in the real game lol.

NeonZ

He wasn't as useful for clearing the harder paralogues on Lunatic as other characters. I think you're placing too much emphasis on my use of the word endgame, I never meant to say he was fine for the main game.

Well, you've mentioned "once they've reclassed a few times". That seems rather high level to me. In a standard run through the main game I don't see how you'd get several reclasses done. If you're getting that much experience and so many levels somehow, of course aptitude will lose its usefulness. But then, by that point, not even Lunatic should be giving much trouble in general, which is where my opposition to the idea of "he falls behind by end game" lies.

Well, you've mentioned "once they've reclassed a few times". That seems rather high level to me. If you're doing that not even Lunatic should be giving much trouble, which is where my opposition to the idea of "he falls behind by end game" lies.
Sigh, I suppose I should have just used the word postgame and all this could have been avoided.

So i looked at the dlc(yes i spoiled myself, but i do not know how the process goes, so its ok :D) ... so only the final DLC from japan seems interesting.

Guess i should wait for that instead.

Draxal

So i looked at the dlc(yes i spoiled myself, but i do not know how the process goes, so its ok :D) ... so only the final DLC from japan seems interesting.

Guess i should wait for that instead.

You'd most likely want the Alm dlc the Ike Dlc and the Eirika one as well. All three of them give pretty important skills (ike's being the most important).

Finally got the game :D YEAH!!!!!!!!

Anyway outside of the free DLC , any DLC worth getting? Its the DLC pack on sales now worth it? Playing hard with classic mode now.... Demo seems harder but i have good luck on my side in the real game lol.

Of the currently released DLC, Marth's and Micaiah's are the best Marth being a unique class (and free) and Micaiah having a unique skill which allows her to wield dark spells in any class. The Gold and EXP maps (along with the upcoming Inf Ragelia) are a mileage may vary variety, they're incredibly "cheap" in allowing you to very easily get over powered, but they make Lunatic/+ feel less impossible. I personally really like the EXP one because it allows me to keep all my characters around the same level in an controlled environment so that I can pick characters that fit the mission/map and not just my core 8-12 characters.

Of the currently released DLC, Marth's and Micaiah's are the best Marth being a unique class (and free) and Micaiah having a unique skill which allows her to wield dark spells in any class. The Gold and EXP maps (along with the upcoming Inf Ragelia) are a mileage may vary variety, they're incredibly "cheap" in allowing you to very easily get over powered, but they make Lunatic/+ feel less impossible. I personally really like the EXP one because it allows me to keep all my characters around the same level in an controlled environment so that I can pick characters that fit the mission/map and not just my core 8-12 characters.

Cool will take note :D Thanks!

Soulhouf

I beat the game today and I really enjoyed it. Hard/classic mode.
Here are my thoughts as someone who played all the episodes from FE4.

I liked

- The amount of options and details. You can go as deep as disabling the voices during conversations or put the battle in 1st person view, an option I loved so much. The Japanese voices are so good, thanks Nintendo for giving us the option to choose.

- First class presentation: environments are very diversified and beautiful (rain, nature, tree, castle, volcano...) and worked very well with 3D. The battles in particular are very well rendered and animation was very attractive. The 2D sprites on the map are very well done and you immediately recognize each character/class. The rare movies are very beautiful as well and the artworks, even if it's not to my liking, they were good enough and people seem to enjoy them.
Many complained about the menus but I got used to them and ended up liking them pretty much. Last but not least, the loading times are almost inexistent, everything is so silky smooth.

- Beautiful music. I really loved it and I already pre-ordered my copy of the soundtrack.

- Support Conversations: This was a big surprise to me, because I usually don't care about support conversations. I didn't read them in other games (except for these in FE4), and I didn't miss them in Radiant Dawn. Many of these conversations, even if they were stupid, I enjoyed them. This game is not as serious as a Tactics Ogre, so I understand that the anime cliché type pleases the gamers.

- The gameplay: I was so upset in the beginning because they simplified it and removed many of what I considered essential gameplay elements. But I ended up liking it and I found it really fast and it worked very well. I didn't like the pairing system but since the game is based on it, I ended up playing the entire game with my units paired up. They need to fix it in the next one though.

- The missions design were well done and especially the paralogues all felt different and interesting, even if they lacked the ingenious of the level design in Thracia or the level layout from FE9&10.
--------------------------------------------

I hated

- The story. Oh my god this was a big bummer for me. I understand this is not Tactics Ogre or Final Fantasy Tactics, but there are some limits and IIRC, in the previous games the story wasn't that stupid. IS really needs to find a new story teller. Doing the same thing again and again and doing it even worse isn't good. One of the things I appreciated in FE9 was the fact that the hero wasn't noble for once and the world was so well presented.

- The children, or how to waste a great idea. Well the original idea isn't new since it was borrowed from FE4 but in that game it was done so much better. In Awakening I ended up ignoring them because they were completely out of place and feeled like DLC characters.

- Reclassing. I like that in pre-reclassing FEs, if you failed to develop a swordmaster, that was it. If you needed a sniper, you had to find a way to develop him/her as an archer and after that he/she becomes a sniper. You had to work your ass to develop your units with the few options you had, because you couldn't just move him/her to a better class. Reclassing introduced an unnecessary complexity IMO. Lunatic probably fixes this issue (I have yet to play that mode) because the XP is difficult to get and you have to plan carefully how to reclass your characters. But nevertheless I prefer the simplicity of having fixed classes with eventually a branching path when you evolve them.

- Lack of strong characters like the Black Knight and Tibarn from FE9 and 10. The kind of characters whose presence alone spread terror among the enemy.
------------------------------------------

My favorite character was Basilio. He is hilarious.
Also I appreciated some details like
Kellam who was lost to the history in the ending credits LMAO.
Kudos to 8-4 who made a great job on the localization.

Definitely a very good Fire Emblem, better than the GBA FE but not as good as FE9,10,5 and especially 4 from which it's inspired.

Final score: 7/10

Edit: question: why I can't start the game in Lunatic+? Do I need to beat it in Lunatic first? D:

Artemisia

Banned
I thought that the presence of grinding made the game really uneven: it was brutally hard out of the gate and so required grinding, but then the grinding made the game pointlessly easy by the midway point.

No, not at all. I picked hard mode, had to restart more then 10 times on some maps, but still didn't need to grind. It was just a matter of being more cautious with my units and being more aware of the types of enemy units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom