• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on Chapter 3 Lunatic with no more Silver Lance usage. Should I just start over?

tumblr_mcgb3gPbKc1r8v175o1_r1_1280.png

Except on Lunatic+

Working through my second playthrough on hard/classic (same as the first) and this time I'm having a tough time with Chapter 12. It didn't give me much trouble my first time through but now that I'm waiting until 20 to promote everyone I'm feeling a little weak. I made it through the entire level last night but managed to lose Cherche to the final boss right at the end. So tragic...

In other news, Kellam is an unstoppable god in this playthrough.

- The children, or how to waste a great idea. Well the original idea isn't new since it was borrowed from FE4 but in that game it was done so much better. In Awakening I ended up ignoring them because they were completely out of place and feeled like DLC characters.
Sounds like the only waste is you not using them! Once you start using the god that is Owain there is simply no going back.

On a semi-related note, I have a really hard time picking which units I want to stick with in this game. Even without the kids there are plenty to choose from, and with them thrown in it becomes quite difficult. I love how that changes the game on subsequent playthroughs, though. It's classic FE but it feels more pronounced in this one.

Soulhouf

Sounds like the only waste is you not using them! Once you start using the god that is Owain there is simply no going back.

My team was already overwhelmed when they came. I watched their conversation and all. Some are great but they still feel out of place and didn't fit at all.
I will try to use them in my Lunatic run but it will require a huge commitment because I don't like them.

The developer could be smarter
and put the game 20 years later starting from chapter 13 and where the parents are dead or no longer able fight. That would be good because not only that would make sens but also you will need to use them because you don't have other choice.

zroid

Banned
On a semi-related note, I have a really hard time picking which units I want to stick with in this game. Even without the kids there are plenty to choose from, and with them thrown in it becomes quite difficult. I love how that changes the game on subsequent playthroughs, though. It's classic FE but it feels more pronounced in this one.

I can't imagine sticking with any, however unrealistic it might be not to. It's just too much fun building up all those relationships, and then I usually end up feeling compelled to try and beat chapters with a few of my weaker characters in the mix, instead of pummeling the enemy with my best.

I should probably save some of those support convos for future playthrough, but it's hard :(

Boney

Banned
Yeah I hated the kids implementation other than Lucina. They should've made it so they have their unique parts of the game without access to the old men for the army.

So how are you setting Robín up in Lunatic?

I wouldn't classify myself as an avid SRPG fan but I could not put this game down, something about it is just so exciting, this is my first FE game as well. Looks great on the 3DS XL Screen too :)

Question for you veterans; is there any kind of sheet that shows the best classes/most powerful to go with when you advance your characters?

BoxcarWalrus

Neo Member
Got this the other day and am already in dire straits. I've lost Frederick, the lady on the pegasus, my healer, and the lancer. All to amazingly placed critical hits.

Looking forward to see if I can recover from this massacre.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Any thoughts on playing this game before playing the GC and Wii games given that I fully intend to play all 3? I had planned on doing them in release order but with the supply issues this is having I'm thinking about picking it up sooner rather than later. I already own Path of Radiance but don't own Radiant Dawn yet.

SaberVulcan

Any thoughts on playing this game before playing the GC and Wii games given that I fully intend to play all 3? I had planned on doing them in release order but with the supply issues this is having I'm thinking about picking it up sooner rather than later. I already own Path of Radiance but don't own Radiant Dawn yet.

I only played the GBA and DS ones all the way through before playing Awakening, and I enjoyed it all the same.

Lunar15

The amount of content in this game works to its benefit and detriment. It's awesome to have so many characters and side battles, but it also dilutes both the story and the gameplay.

People new to the series should really like it, it's far more like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance than any other Fire Emblem, which has always been the more approachable series. But in terms of a tight, hardcore FE experience, other games (FE9) have done it better.

But as a celebration of the series, it's pretty great, and I had a heck of a lot of fun. Pairing up was something I didn't think I'd like, but in the end I hope it sticks around, with a few slight adjustments, of course. This game did supports better than any other game, which gives it a distinct quality that will make me want to play it just as much as any other FE.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I only played the GBA and DS ones all the way through before playing Awakening, and I enjoyed it all the same.

I probably didn't make it clear enough in my first post that my question is really less about whether you need to play other games in the series before Awakening and more about whether or not it would be hard to go back to earlier games in the series after playing Awakening.

I've already gotten the impression that you can go into Awakening without having played any of the others without a hitch but I don't know if the GC or Wii ones will seem dated if I play them after the newest one.

The amount of content in this game works to its benefit and detriment. It's awesome to have so many characters and side battles, but it also dilutes both the story and the gameplay.

People new to the series should really like it, it's far more like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance than any other Fire Emblem, which has always been the more approachable series. But in terms of a tight, hardcore FE experience, other games (FE9) have done it better.

But as a celebration of the series, it's pretty great, and I had a heck of a lot of fun. Pairing up was something I didn't think I'd like, but in the end I hope it sticks around, with a few slight adjustments, of course. This game did supports better than any other game, which gives it a distinct quality that will make me want to play it just as much as any other FE.

Very good overview, this is pretty much exactly how I feel about the game as well.

I probably didn't make it clear enough in my first post that my question is really less about whether you need to play other games in the series before Awakening and more about whether or not it would be hard to go back to earlier games in the series after playing Awakening.

I've already gotten the impression that you can go into Awakening without having played any of the others without a hitch but I don't know if the GC or Wii ones will seem dated if I play them after the newest one.

The only thing I think will seem dated is the graphics. The gameplay is as great as ever, and there are actually a lot of features in those games that Awakening doesn't have. They're much tighter experiences as well (and better games in my opinion).

Pairing everyone up with S supports is like the drug from Limitless. Once you stop using it and remember that enemies in normal and hard can actually hit you, it leaves you with an empty and confused feeling (and Russian mobsters may try and kill you). Then you pair up again and things get better.

Lunar15

It's a tough call. There's a lot of elements in awakening that are not present in FE9/10, but there's also a lot of things those games do better. You're going to have a lot less options in the older games, but in my experience, that creates a tighter, more intense playthrough.

In summation: They're all awesome, but for entirely different reasons.

PS: FE10 is ridiculous and really weird, and mainly there to further the story from FE9 (in an awesome way) Only play it if you really like FE9's world and characters.

There's a lot of good support conversations in this game, Inigo and Noire is my favorite so far.

I feel bad for Cordelia, no love from Crommy and I just sacrificed her boytoy Libra in the last mission. I also sacrificed Kellam/Sully and Frederick/Miriel in the last couple missions since I decided not to restart this late in the game. I had them go out in a rage of glory when their partners died.

Also, why don't
Basilo and Flavia
start out with a social rank?

Otheradam

So I started playing the game on normal and up to about chap 13. Ive been doing all the paralogues as they come and the random battles on the map when they pop up. I feel like my army is way over powered now, to the point where I can be semi careless in the story battles.

Should I just start on hard? I had a hard file and did maybe the first 3 or 4 battles and I had to be way more careful than I wanted to (basically just waiting to counter and not rushing the enemy). The Donnel recruit level also annoyed me a lot. But now that I have a better understanding of the systems maybe it won't be so bad?

Lunar15

So I started playing the game on normal and up to about chap 13. Ive been doing all the paralogues as they come and the random battles on the map when they pop up. I feel like my army is way over powered now, to the point where I can be semi careless in the story battles.

Should I just start on hard? I had a hard file and did maybe the first 3 or 4 battles and I had to be way more careful than I wanted to (basically just waiting to counter and not rushing the enemy). The Donnel recruit level also annoyed me a lot. But now that I have a better understanding of the systems maybe it won't be so bad?

Do hard. It's not hard, especially if you now have a good grasp on pairing up.

Lunar15

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";48247602]Anna with a levin sword is pretty hardcore.[/QUOTE]

I really need to use her in my next playthrough. I skipped her because she doesn't have any other supports, and I like to spread out my supports pretty evenly.

I really need to use her in my next playthrough. I skipped her because she doesn't have any other supports, and I like to spread out my supports pretty evenly.

She's so good. High magic stat for a sword user makes levin sword beast, and she has such high luck and speed that I think she's only been hit once or twice my whole game, and half the time I had her by herself because of the support problem. Once I got Tiki it was all good, though.

I agree with this for the most part and I definitely see where you're coming from regarding the tightness of previous FE's, but I do think the quality of all of the extra content is also worth mentioning. What I'm saying is, it doesn't feel like the children, paralogues, reclassing, etc. were added just because, in which case I would probably feel like they took away from the game significantly. Instead, they are all handled with a great deal of attention and polish.

There is a downside to all of the peripheral content, as you mentioned, but in this case I think the upside is worth it. At the end of the day I think it's up to the player to decide how they want to experience the game to some degree. Do you want to focus on a core group of units and avoid doing side battles to keep the story missions feeling challenging and interesting? Or do you prefer grinding to the limit to make the most powerful characters possible and see every support conversation? The game creates a wide spectrum from those two extremes that allows for a lot of fun diversity and experimentation, which to me is the primary strength of the "compilation" design philosophy.

Having said that, I can understand why someone would prefer the tight experience of an older FE to what we got in Awakening. I'd say there is a significant deal of personal preference involved. I personally love both styles so it's hard for me to pick favorites, but I do think Awakening is the best FE I've played overall.

So, I just got to Chapter 12, and it has sunk in that romantically pairing up units is something I need to do. Problem is, I barely ever use any of the males! I think all the female characters are far better and Chrom, Avatar and Donnel are about the only ones that ever see battle. I far prefer using Sully, Sumia, Lyssa, Miriel, Tharja, etc. But I'm never going to get support conversations between M/F if I don't start using the males more.

Actually, I can't imagine pairing up Sully with anyone. Except, you know... another woman.

A ranks are still pretty good, though.

Also, I think Trickster and Sorcerer are the best classes in the game. Too beast. Although I do love me some longbow as well.

Soulhouf

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";48247602]Anna with a levin sword is pretty hardcore.[/QUOTE]

She was one of my main team characters. I reclassed her as a Dark Knight and she was kicking ass.

Wilsongt

I don't know where people are getting God-like Kellams and Tharjas. Henry is much better than Tharja. Higher magic, more tanky, more resistance, more everything. The only thing Kellam has going for him is tanky defense, but everyone else on the A team has him beaten out. I've pretty much stuck Kellam and Tharja into the B team with the characters I didn't use to clear out Risen.

Also, I -will- make Nino an unstoppable tank. >:I

Edit: I also hope that NoA doesn't stop the Legacy characters at FE12. =/ I want Genealogy characters.

jjgames

I am so glad I invested the initial time increasing Donnel's level. It was a major pain at the beginning because he was so weak, but now he is a complete beast. With his 'Attribute' quality he is the fastest growing character in the game.

At level 3 mercenary (after reaching level 17 villager) he has the highest Str, Spd, and Skl of all my characters. He 2 hit kills pretty much everything.

Artemisia

Banned
What's the point of the chat you have with the DLC characters? when they ask you if you know who they are? Is that info being sent to Nintendo?

NeonZ

What's the point of the chat you have with the DLC characters? when they ask you if you know who they are? Is that info being sent to Nintendo?

Pretty sure it has no point, it just changes their dialogue. If you say you don't know them, they give a brief intro about themselves before continuing to the second part of the conversation. If you say you know them, then they talk about something else briefly before continuing to the second question, like how Mart says that the avatar reminds him of an old friend.

I want to stuff a spotpass character with a bunch of breaker skills, just to see them becoming completely untouchable. But I'm too lazy to grind for something like that...

I don't know where people are getting God-like Kellams and Tharjas. Henry is much better than Tharja. Higher magic, more tanky, more resistance, more everything. The only thing Kellam has going for him is tanky defense, but everyone else on the A team has him beaten out. I've pretty much stuck Kellam and Tharja into the B team with the characters I didn't use to clear out Risen.

Edit: I also hope that NoA doesn't stop the Legacy characters at FE12. =/ I want Genealogy characters.
Tharja's MAG and SPD growth rates are better than Henry's. Her main issue is a horrible SKL growth rate, but that can be mitigated somewhat with some Secret Books (or RNG luck). I haven't looked into Kellam's rates but I can tell you from experience that if you use him a lot towards the beginning to keep him near the front level-wise he will become an unstoppable tank (especially in my case since he's paired with Panne for +3 STR and +3 SPD).

Kellam hasn't turned out to be anything better than mediocre in my two playthroughs. His best use so far has been to father ubertank Nah. I kind of wish I had married avatar to Kellam!Nah just to see how that Morgan would turn out.

http://www.fireemblemawakening.com/movie/index.html

Trailer for the upcoming DLC on the bottom.

Demon Fighter seems to be localized as "Dread Fighter". Also, obvious Smash Bros reference. Only covers the Einherjar DLC though, nothing about the Japanese "second season" of DLC (the one with conversation chapters, challange chapters and alternate future chapters).
Did they seriously reuse the same story with all the versus dlc

Wow

Pretty much all DLCs of the first season are "the armies of X and Y are at war, help one, then the other, and then fight both to return them to being cards."

Season 2 has the more interesting set of DLC including missions in the ruined future from the main game, season 1 has the better set of "rewards"
Yeah. I just, I don't know, just seems like lost potential in doing something actually interesting. You have hundreds of characters and villains, multiple stories and worlds to draw upon and the only thing they could think of doing with the history of this series is have two armies fight each other, then have them fight you, and repeat that set of events multiple times.

Wilsongt

Kellam hasn't turned out to be anything better than mediocre in my two playthroughs. His best use so far has been to father ubertank Nah. I kind of wish I had married avatar to Kellam!Nah just to see how that Morgan would turn out.

ChromxFeMU for Morgan for me.

Morgan is nearly as monstrous as Donny. I can send him, Donny, Gerome, and Inigo out and clear a map in seconds.

Yeah. I just, I don't know, just seems like lost potential in doing something actually interesting. You have hundreds of characters and villains, multiple stories and worlds to draw upon and the only thing they could think of doing with the history of this series is have two armies fight each other, then have them fight you, and repeat that set of events multiple times.

For sure, hopefully for next game.

ChromxFeMU for Morgan for me.

Morgan is nearly as monstrous as Donny. I can send him, Donny, Gerome, and Inigo out and clear a map in seconds.

I know we like to refer to Donny as God, but then, what does that make a good Morgan?

Morgan is so beast I stopped using her for a few battles to level up other people. Pretty much everyone on my main team is in the 40s-50s at this point so they just sit back even at mission 24.

My dream team:

Trickster(Levin Sword)/Manakete
Trickster(Brave Sword)/Manakete
Sorcerer(Aversa's Night)/Sorcerer(Waste)
Sorcerer(Aversa's Night)/Sniper(Longbow)
Griffon Rider(Helswath)/Swordmaster(Amatsu)
Great Lord/Great Lord

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Pair Kellam with Miriel. It's just pure death, nothing does any damage or survives an initial encounter. The pair can literally decimate half the map on their own, it's just so broken.

NeonZ

Well, that's the main problem, no? All maps based on the past game units here only featured them. No generic soldier units for larger armies or anything like that, just many past characters thrown onto the field (and each battlefield was always reused twice too), each one with unique quotes to a specific Awakening character. At the same time, none of the past units that join the player can actually get their own dialogue and conversations after doing so, not even in these maps. That really limits the kind of story they could do with the concept here, which is likely why they went with this approach for these maps.

Wilsongt

For sure, hopefully for next game.

I know we like to refer to Donny as God, but then, what does that make a good Morgan?

Well, seeing as how Donny can't become screwed... I suppose Morgan is God substitute. Also, I got him out of the Tactician job as soon as possible. FeMU wasn't as good in the end as she was in the beginning and I didn't need another Tome user seeing as how I already had two competent users (Maribelle and Ricken). Since Stahl got speed screwed and couldn't double shit, I sent him right down the Cavelier route. His bases were amazing, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom