• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thrill of finally finishing skill grinding so I can start recruiting the kids.

The horror when I'll probably have to go through all this grinding all over again with the kids now.

At least Owain is all kinds of amazing.

Well, that's the main problem, no? All maps based on the past game units here only featured them. No generic soldier units for larger armies or anything like that, just many past characters thrown onto the field (and each battlefield was always reused twice too), each one with unique quotes to a specific Awakening character. At the same time, none of the past units that join the player can actually get their own dialogue and conversations after doing so, not even in these maps. That really limits the kind of story they could do with the concept here, which is likely why they went with this approach for these maps.
They probably could have chosen a set of characters from one game and have a little mini episode involving that games plot, or redoing a specific chapter from that game except with Chrom's intervention, and the reward ends up being a character from that game with its own supports with Chrom and the tactician. Thats a way to build up a character. But this game has taken a kitchen sink approach to everything so yeah. Just seems kind of pointless throwing all these characters in there when hardly anyone knows who they are and the characters themselves don't give up enough information about themselves.

I'm glad the game makes it easy for me to pair Sumia and Chrom because I really have no idea how I want to pair the rest of my characters yet. This first run I'm going for what feels natural to the plot, my second run on Lunatic I'll plan out how to most take advantage of the marriage system.

So, I don't know if anyone else has had this kind of experience yet, but for some missions (which may actually be too difficult for my current team and may explain why I am having this problem) I get the feeling that pairing up actually works against me rather than in my favor.

The most obvious problem is having less units around to actually command and take up space (which is potentially bad since they are more easily surrounded), I might be doing less damage than I could be, and clerics/archers are more likely to be exposed. And fairly early on, when everyone isn't necessarily as chummy with each other, the chance of the support unit doing an attack is really low, which is a definite hit to damage output (which leads to enemies being more likely to survive when they shouldn't (which leads to pain and doom for your own units)).

The two missions that have really made me thought about this are
the missions when one recruits either Yarne or Tiki.

In Yarne's case, if one chooses to fight both armies (which is the only choice, be a man!), 13 vs ~40 is not very good odds, especially since around half of that enemy army are freaking Valkyries and Bow Knights going through woods. I've found that further compressing my army down to 7 units didn't work out for me at all, at least with what units I have currently. My Donnel is pretty strong now and has good evasion, so I could potentially try leaving him with someone else paired up to tank that section of the map, but I don't really like those odds...

In Tiki's case, due to how often the Griffin Riders and Dark Fliers were spawning, I couldn't kill them fast enough if I paired up my units; my units were already strong enough to kill or heavily hurt a unit on their own, and pairing up was absolute overkill, resulting in damage wasted when it would be more efficient to divide it between targets. Pretty much what happened was that I thought I could just lazily beat stick everything to death with super pairs on my first run, then found out that the Risen didn't give a crap and were going straight for Tiki, who would basically die in 3 direct hits. The second run worked out better when I split the units up and kept some behind to defend Tiki, even when they couldn't always take advantage of support bonuses.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
At least Owain is all kinds of amazing.

The RNG is being a bitch with him for me. According to Serene Forest he should be having some pretty decent magic growths, but he hasn't gotten much, which sucks because my plan is to have him be a Levin Sword Trickster :/

NeonZ

They probably could have chosen a set of characters from one game and have a little mini episode involving that games plot, or redoing a specific chapter from that game except with Chrom's intervention, and the reward ends up being a character from that game with its own supports with Chrom and the tactician. Thats a way to build up a character.

The impression I get from these DLC characters is that giving them actual supports/integrating them into the game like standard characters would have been much more resource intensive compared to what IS was willing to invest here. They'd basically need to update the main game itself for that, something they haven't really done with any of the DLC here. The DLC characters basically seem to have been integrated into Awakening by tweaking the guest Avatar system, rather than allowing the addition of more "core" characters to the game. That can easily be seen by their models and their ability to be stored in the log book, liek avatars, and, in the Japanese version, it was even more obvious because their generic quotes were the same as the "mute avatar" option (which was cut from the American release). Like I said before, the DLC chapters itself have tons of dialogue - each past unit has specific quotes with an Awakening character in addition to their generic ones, and yet none of that can be carried to the characters that the player actually gets due to the system they're using.

Even when they later made a DLC with 200 extra conversations for the core characters, they had to implement them as stage based conversations, rather than supports that can be reread at any time - even for pairs who lack supports in the main game. The new (and old) bgms from the DLC also aren't accessible through the sound test. Basically, none of Awakening's DLC seems to update/change the core game itself, just some specific points which were left "open" by the developers, like new portraits, stage specific features and apparently new classes.

Get him to level 10, turn him into a mercenary, and watch the rest of the game melt away, into the twilight of winter

Uhhhggg, leveling him up to 10 is going to be such a pain though. Especially when I'm already trying to fight between keeping Nowi/Miriel/Virion/Stahl up at the same time while also trying to not overgrind...

15! Level Donny up to 15 for his second Villager skill!

The two missions that have really made me thought about this are
In Tiki's case, due to how often the Griffin Riders and Dark Fliers were spawning, I couldn't kill them fast enough if I paired up my units; my units were already strong enough to kill or heavily hurt a unit on their own, and pairing up was absolute overkill, resulting in damage wasted when it would be more efficient to divide it between targets. Pretty much what happened was that I thought I could just lazily beat stick everything to death with super pairs on my first run, then found out that the Risen didn't give a crap and were going straight for Tiki, who would basically die in 3 direct hits. The second run worked out better when I split the units up and kept some behind to defend Tiki, even when they couldn't always take advantage of support bonuses.

For Tiki's mission I just paired everyone up, surrounded Tiki, and let the Risen impale themselves on us trying to get to Tiki. It worked fairly well. Though most of my pairs were married or close to it.

I'm glad the game makes it easy for me to pair Sumia and Chrom because I really have no idea how I want to pair the rest of my characters yet. This first run I'm going for what feels natural to the plot, my second run on Lunatic I'll plan out how to most take advantage of the marriage system.

Tharja x Libra bro.

The impression I get from these DLC characters is that giving them actual supports/integrating them into the game like standard characters would have been much more resource intensive compared to what IS was willing to invest here. They'd basically need to update the main game itself for that. The DLC characters basically seem to have been integrated into Awakening by tweaking the guest Avatar system, rather than allowing the addition of more "core" characters to the game. That can easily be seen by their models and their ability to be stored in the log book and, in the Japanese version, it was even more obvious because their generic quotes were the same as the "mute avatar" option (which was cut from the American release). Like I said before, the DLC chapters itself have tons of dialogue - each past unit has specific quotes with an Awakening character in addition to their generic ones, and yet none of that can be carried to the characters that the player actually gets due to the system they're using.

Even when they later made a DLC with 200 extra conversations for the core characters, they had to implement them as stage based conversations, rather than supports that can be reread at any time - even for pairs who lack supports in the main game. The new (and old) bgms from the DLC also aren't accessible through the sound test. Basically, none of Awakening's DLC seems to update/change the core game itself, just some specific points which were left "open" by the developers, like new portraits, stage specific features and apparently new classes.
Interesting. If it just wasn't technically feasible, then yeah, I can understand that. Hopefully they try this again with the next game, dlc and dlc characters will be more fleshed out.

Roto13

"Flamingo... PUUUUUUUNNNCH!!!"

Male Morgan is pretty great, after spending some time with him. I kind of wish I could have both Morgans.

NeonZ

Interesting. If it just wasn't technically feasible, then yeah, I can understand that. Hopefully they try this again with the next game, dlc and dlc characters will be more fleshed out.

Yeah, I'd like to see a more "mature" take on this whole concept in the future. Hopefully they have a team working in the next standalone Fire Emblem game too, not just the Shin Megami Tensei crossover.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";48259284]Naw son. Naw. Straight to avatar with Thatja, and straight to hell with Libra. Frankly, I've intentionally killed off about a dozen people so far. The only one I regret is Henry because he actually seemed funny.[/QUOTE]

Nah. Avatar deserves royalty. Avatar x Lissa bro.

Chrom x Sumia, and Frederick x Nowi.

Draxal

I'm wondering if they're going to make a direct sequel to this Fire Emblem, I know it sold amazingly well in Japan (best of all them), and I think (only from unavailablility thread) it's the best selling in America so far.

Draxal

Pretty sure Cordelia with Ava .... Kincaido is canon.
Of coure there are no canon couples in this game don't want a repeat of Fe 4's fandom issues

Although I am partial to the Chrom/Olivia Lucina/Avatar Morgan/Inigo tree.

zroid

Banned
I hooked up Miriel with Stahl. Almost by happenstance, really -- it was by far the first S-rank I attained, and I wasn't really thinking about it.

Their conversations were pretty charming.

NeonZ

I'm wondering if hey're going to make a direct sequel to this Fire Emblem, I know it sold amazingly well in Japan (best of all them), and I think (only from unavailablility thread) it's the best selling in America so far.

They usually make games in "pairs" as far as connected Frie Emblems go, and this game has done well, so a second one is even more likely. (FE3 was a sequel, and partial remake, of FE 1, FE5 was a side-story of FE4, FE7 was a prequel to FE6, FE10 was a sequel to FE9, FE11 and 12 were remakes of FE1 and 3).

On the other hand, this game has way too many variables for a direct sequel, I think, if you consider all the S supports and possible children - and also the possibility of the player finishing this game without them. As far as something directly connected to this game goes, I think a prequel would be more likely and this game has some set up for one (like how they made the First Exalt and Grima different characters from Marth and Medeus, even though both could have easily taken those roles as far as Awakening itself goes - leaving open the possibility of covering that first war in a completely new game).

Regarding a direct sequel, I could only see it working if it focused on a whole new cast, maybe a war in a different continent, with the returning Awakening characters aside from maybe Chrom being mostly extras - like the paralogue characters in Awakening, who then could be modified by the player's old save file from Awakening without heavily changing the new main game itself much. They tease some lands on the world map that had nothing to do with Awakening, so a set up like that might be in the cards too.

Pyrokai

Is it truly selling well here or is it still being underproduced. It's, like, impossible to find. I truly can't find it anywhere :(

zroid

Banned
Is it truly selling well here or is it still being underproduced. It's, like, impossible to find. I truly can't find it anywhere :(

supposedly the next shipments are going to start showing up around mid-March

seems they only printed enough for a first run and didn't have anything immediately in the pipeline

Draxal

Selling well, is a relative term. It's not going to come close to breaking a million, but the rest of the games didn't sell that well in America.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";48262018]How many dancers are in the game?[/quote]

1. 1 Villager (2nd possible if Donnel marries someone that gives a male kid), 3 Possible Taguels (need Avatar to marry Panne for 1) 4 Possible Manaketes (need Avatar to marry Tiki/Nowi/Nah for 1).

http://www.fireemblemawakening.com/movie/index.html

Trailer for the upcoming DLC on the bottom.

Demon Fighter seems to be localized as "Dread Fighter". Also, obvious Smash Bros reference. Only covers the Einherjar DLC though, nothing about the Japanese "second season" of DLC (the one with conversation chapters, challange chapters and alternate future chapters).

That poor narrator has no idea how to say "Jugdral"
emot-v.gif

(This is why I think it should be spelled "Ygdral" myself, to make the reference more obvious, but)

Lunar15

The only thing I would ABSOLUTELY change in the sequel, leaving the rest the same, is adding more varied mission objectives. The fact that everything is "rout" makes the game somewhat boring once your characters start to get overpowered (which happens pretty fast once supports start going up).

ohlawd

The only thing I would ABSOLUTELY change in the sequel, leaving the rest the same, is adding more varied mission objectives. The fact that everything is "rout" makes the game somewhat boring once your characters start to get overpowered (which happens pretty fast once supports start going up).

where the heck were the "defend for X amount of turns" missions?

Busaiku

http://www.fireemblemawakening.com/movie/index.html

Trailer for the upcoming DLC on the bottom.

Demon Fighter seems to be localized as "Dread Fighter". Also, obvious Smash Bros reference. Only covers the Einherjar DLC though, nothing about the Japanese "second season" of DLC (the one with conversation chapters, challange chapters and alternate future chapters).

Ugh, this has me worried about that.
I really hope NoA aren't gonna be skipping out on those...

Burning Justice

the superior princess
1 Villager (2nd possible if Donnel marries someone that gives a male kid)

It's also possible to get a third Villager if the Avatar marries Donnel's son.

But yeah, the Dancer class can't be inherited, so Olivia is the only character that can possibly be a Dancer.

Lusankya

Ugh, this has me worried about that.
I really hope NoA aren't gonna be skipping out on those...

I doubt they skip them. First, why would they? More DLC = more money for Nintendo.
Second, Europe will get ALL DLCs, so it should be the same for NA.
Third, in Japan there was also a second, separate trailer for the second season of DLC.

Maybe my grinding was too much but I need Seals like yesterday!

Only came across 2 so far from those villages. Used the second seal on Donnel and the Master on Sully (she started out as my weakest horse back unit but once I got her to S rank with Virion she has become unstoppable)

PK Gaming

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";48247602]Anna with a levin sword is pretty hardcore.[/QUOTE]

couple of pages back, but i'm going to give you a brofist anyway

Anna rules

For example, i'm doing a hard mode challenge run (i'm only limited to a few characters... 6, every other character cannot be used) and Anna was one my choices, and she proved invaluable. Between her Lucky 7 skill (good luck hitting her) her Levin Sword, AND staff use, she's like the perfect "balanced" unit.

♥

Only came across 2 so far from those villages. Used the second seal on Donnel and the Master on Sully (she started out as my weakest horse back unit but once I got her to S rank with Virion she has become unstoppable)

They're avalible after chapter 12, just check the store.

What chapter are you up to? Eventually, you can just buy them from stores (after chapter 11/12, I think).

FatCat

The wait for the EU release is killing me, especially when I start reading this thread.
Some great impressions, this will be my second fire emblem after sacred stones.

A little less than 2 months to wait... :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom