• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is Donnel worth training at all? He's pretty low level when you get him and has a lot of grinding to do...

nglq6xW.gif

Yes, yes he is.

They are similar in that they are grid-based, turn-based tactical RPGs. They are dissimilar in that Fire Emblem is much faster-paced, involves less micro-management of units, and requires no grinding (though it is an option in Awakening).

As for strengths and weaknesses, I'd say that Awakening has the more accessible (not shallow) gameplay and better replay value. LUCT has deeper (though more cumbersome) gameplay and a more engaging story. Both have good soundtracks. Awakening has the advantage of modern presentation.

I think there's a good chance that if you liked LUCT you will like Awakening. And if you already have a 3DS, I highly recommend the game.
This sold me. It doesn't take much :). I did find the micromanaging of the units a little annoying one I got the handle on the game. Downloading now as I don't feel like trying to find this via retail. :). See you guys on the killing fields!

Is Donnel worth training at all? He's pretty low level when you get him and has a lot of grinding to do...

It depends on how much you intend to grind. If you're comfortable grinding, it takes just a little bit of work to turn him into the best unit in your army (a title he will retain for a long time). If you're on a no-grinding run, it may not be worth feeding him kills when the rest of your team is struggling to keep up with the curve.

Javier

As far as lines go, my favorites:

"Pick a God and pray!"
"You're already dead..."
"You're boring me!"
"This is the end, friend!"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

He will become a monster. Put your back into it now, and he'll be able to tank entire maps on his own later.

TWILT

Banned
"Hand...hungers", "Cool! Blood!" and "Another spotlight stolen..." are ones I enjoy, especially the delivery. And everything Donnel and Gregor say due to the accents.

The main reason I don't totally skip the battle scenes is due to the sound-bites.

Agreed. I love repeatable lines in RPGs; they make characters feel more "alive" for the lack of a better word.

"Like candy from a babe!"
"Down, swordhand!"
"This is the end, friend!"
"To the abyss with you!"

Just got to chapter 11. Loving this so far but man, the story is terrible and the characters are meh. Big step back from the Radiance games in that regard.

Everything else is pretty fantastic though and a great evolution of the series.

So I am getting kinda frustrated with playing on Classic. I am just 2 hrs in the game and if someone dies, I usually close the game and restart. I even do it for people not in my party like the merchant girl cause I have no idea if she will come back or later on if you need to save her in the paralogue 2 mission...idk man...am I doing it wrong?

zroid

Banned
Another Fire Emblem StreetPass. The trend of it being the most consistently StreetPassed with game I have (since MK7 and SM3DL) continues.

Margalis

Banned
The original Tactics Ogre is a lot better than the remake IMO.

The remake has a lot of just bizarre changes like the completely unbalanced TP moves and the idiotic leveling / class change system that punishes you for trying new classes.

If you loved the remake you owe it to yourself to play the original.

So I am getting kinda frustrated with playing on Classic. I am just 2 hrs in the game and if someone dies, I usually close the game and restart. I even do it for people not in my party like the merchant girl cause I have no idea if she will come back or later on if you need to save her in the paralogue 2 mission...idk man...am I doing it wrong?

I don't think there's a wrong way to play. Your tendency to reset whenever a character dies puts you in company with many other FE fans. It might even be that the majority of FE players favor "perfect" runs where the death of even a minor and unloved character means reseting and trying again. Other FE fans will reset for some characters but not others (I include myself in this set). And there are probably a few out there who go Iron Man or bust.

Of course, if you aren't prepared to let characters remain dead, and you don't find the frustration of occasional (or frequent) resets to increase your overall enjoyment of the game, then you should consider starting a new file on casual mode. Nothing wrong with that either.

Does Normal get noticeably more difficult after Chapter 5, by any chance? So far the game has been entirely too easy. I started on file on Hard, but I can't get past chapter 5 after 6+ attempts (I kept getting unwanted casualties).

Moonlight

Banned
"Hand...hungers", "Cool! Blood!" and "Another spotlight stolen..." are ones I enjoy, especially the delivery. And everything Donnel and Gregor say due to the accents.

The main reason I don't totally skip the battle scenes is due to the sound-bites.
My absolute favourites are:

"You're already dead!" (Tharja's critical hit line)
"This is the end, friend!" (Cynthia's critical hit line)
"Too slow, bro!" (Cynthia's dual attack line, it killed me the first time I heard it)
"Ready to get gouged?" (Anna's critical hit line, I love all her lines, actually)
"Pick a god and pray!" (Frederick's critical hit line)

You don't need to save her in paralogue 2. You get nothing of importance for doing so.

The original Tactics Ogre is a lot better than the remake IMO.

The remake has a lot of just bizarre changes like the completely unbalanced TP moves and the idiotic leveling / class change system that punishes you for trying new classes.

If you loved the remake you owe it to yourself to play the original.
The remake is ridiculously easy and the class balance is completely warped. The original's gameplay is definitely better. Atlus' PSX translation was also fine, so the only thing you'd be missing is the new content and wheel of fate stuff from the psp version.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I just noticed returning a character to a previous class sets the class back to level 1. So if I wanted to have MU go from Tactician -> Dark Mage -> Mage -> Tactician -> Grandmaster I'd have to gain 10 levels again the second time I change to Tactician right? That sucks.

Nexas

My absolute favourites are:

"You're already dead!" (Tharja's critical hit line)
"This is the end, friend!" (Cynthia's critical hit line)
"Too slow, bro!" (Cynthia's dual attack line, it killed me the first time I heard it)
"Ready to get gouged?" (Anna's critical hit line, I love all her lines, actually)
"Pick a god and pray!" (Frederick's critical hit line)

0jn26iq.png

KarmaCow

I just noticed returning a character to a previous class sets the class back to level 1. So if I wanted to have MU go from Tactician -> Dark Mage -> Mage -> Tactician -> Grandmaster I'd have to gain 10 levels again the second time I change to Tactician right? That sucks.

Yea found that out the hard way and it's a major reason why I've decided to just power through the rest of the game instead of trying to pass down good skills to the children.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So Sumia is Colette and Lon'qu is Guy. Which Tales character do I meet next?

The entire cast is very Tales-y in its own way, though none quite as blatant as those two. It doesn't help that Awakening shares a vast majority of voice actors/actresses with the Tales series either (example: Sumia = Estelle)

Why are you reclassing between base classes like that? The skills aren't worth it and you would hit the stat caps of those classes. It'd make more sense to go tactician, grandmaster, sage, sorcerer.

Nexas

Well things just got weird. Inigo still hits on Morgan even though
he's her uncle in this playthrough.
I know the game can't take into account every option, especially an ultra specific one like this, but it's still really creepy.

zroid

Banned
Is it fair to assume that Chrom and Lucina will be on Smash 4? With the popularity of this game, maybe a third character can get in.

It would please me greatly if they replaced Marth with Lucina (but made her a clone of him essentially)

and TBH, forget Chrom. Put Lucina and another female in. Marth and Ike can get the boot. The male monopoly needs to be snuffed out.

hunnies28

Guys I need your help.
I'm in chapter 9 and Chrom, Avatar and Sumia are all lvl. 20 and I only have I Master Seal.

I also have two Second Seals. Should I just use the Master seal and stop using the other two characters?

Moonlight

Banned
Given the wild success of Awakening in Japan (and from what I understand, it's been very successful overseas as well), I think it's pretty much a given that at the very least, Chrom will come in representing Fire Emblem. I actually think Lucina has a pretty good shot at getting in as well, given her popularity.

Guys, what is the best match for Cordelia?
Should I go Lon'qu or Henry?
Lon'qu is the better character and the better match for Cordelia in terms of what he'll pass onto Cordelia's kid.

TWILT

Banned
I'm gonna be hella sad when Ike gets the boot from Smash 4. Chrom's cool and all, but Ike's my favorite lord. :( I just don't see them adding three swordsman with blue hair in the next Smash.
Guys, what is the best match for Cordelia?
Should I go Lon'qu or Henry?

Lon'qu of course.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
But I was tempted by Slowburn or Life Taker skills from Henry (Dark Knight) >.<
Severa could be a badass life sucker after final touch.

Lifetaker + Galeforce is indeed pretty godly.

I never had any real problems with Severa's STR level ups, though that may be that Henry passed on his dark knight growths and I got lucky.

The stat I seem to be missing the most on a lot of people seems to be luck, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom