• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

'Course my character is female.

Yes if you have a female main unit (he's by far the best candidate available for a female character), and are you playing with the Japanese voice (Gintoki from Gintama) or the english one?
English. It's Matthew Mercer doing his wonderful Troy Baker impersonation. <3

So I dunno what the hell just happened. I accessed a menu that had subtitles to several Fire Emblem games. And I looked through Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn and selected Nephenee and Ike. They had ultra powerful teams on the world map and I could elect to buy items from them, commit suicide (i.e. fight them), or pay to recruit them. After a few battles grind battles and about two story battles, they disappeared form the map.

Can I get them to come back or are they lost forever?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So I dunno what the hell just happened. I accessed a menu that had subtitles to several Fire Emblem games. And I looked through Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn and selected Nephenee and Ike. They had ultra powerful teams on the world map and I could elect to buy items from them, commit suicide (i.e. fight them), or pay to recruit them. After a few battles grind battles and about two story battles, they disappeared form the map.

You can bring them back. Hit start-> wireless-> bonus box-> bonus teams (or something similar)

TWILT

Banned

Yes, you can resummon them at anytime.

Go back to that menu and summon them again. Although I don't know how they just disappeared. Mine just stay there forever.

Knowing where they will spawn is only half a battle, the other half is exactly what is going to spawn and what they're going to be equipped with. If all the enemies on the map were single range fighters and all of the sudden 4 fliers with 1-2 range weapons appear my healer could go from being perfectly safe behind the line to instantly ganked resulting in a restart.

Rarely ever had trouble with reinforcements. Always keep some spare/slow character behind to deal with them. You can eve block reinforcements from appearing with well placed units. This doesn't always work of course, but when it does, it's a big help. Biggest deal was Thracia 776 and Maniac mode in POR (Japanese version).

Ah, finally got all the children. Man, all that grinding while easy did take a while.

I guess I'll replace all the parents with the kids and rolfstomp the rest of the game with them.

Finished the game, have a question:

Does the last level/dragon always stay on the world map? I was hoping to have some random battle on the dragon's back.

Hakkapell

Neo Member
Finished the game. Ending was decent though
I knew my MU would live and since the results for some choices end up the same either way i choose the other one.

Now since I finished normal/casual this time I am gonna go Hard/Clas and do everything and also get all the children/use more units to create a balance, because i admit I had quite an unbalanced team I also know the mechanics like pairing up which I can take advantage off this time.

neoemonk

I need some more characters. I'm losing two per level and I'm only up to chapter 4. I'm considering restarting after I got my first game over in Paralogue 1. Playing on hard/classic

How the hell can anyone play Lunatic? This is nonsense!

Actually after you beat the first 4 chapter it went downhill. I'm on chapter 20 Lunatic and my team are rockin hard :p

So who wants to join my Gregor fan club? Seriously though, he's got to be one of my all time favorites. Gotta love that accent! His lines are great and he's a monster on the battle field. Nothing hits him. Who vants more Grrregor?

Haha.. I love his Germanish/Russianish accent especially when he use his critical attack. I gave him a chance to be Sully husband... Red head family full of critical attack! :p

Basically, the optimal route would be:

- If you want to change classes for a unit just because, or you're skill hunting, use the Second Seal at level 10
- If you want to pursue the promoted class for your current one, use the Master Seal at level 20

Would that be the simplest way to put it?

Am I the only one who think that the higher the characters rating - the hardest I need to grind for leveling up?
I don't think re-classing char at their base level made things easier when you already had a high rating (optimizing exp)

Gestahl

The barracks conversations and the level up quips tend to do more harm than good in this game since they just pound the character's one defining trait into your skull again and again. I'd probably hate Cherche and Severa and sometimes what feels like almost half the cast less if 90% of my time with them wasn't "MINERVA MINERVA MINERVA" and *insert Tsundere bullshit here* one liners

I actually ran into someone who wanted trade teams with me, but for some reason even though we selected our teams for streetpass it didn't happen. Did we do anything wrong?

Just got this game and don't know what difficulty to pick.

This is my first Fire Emblem, but I've played other turn-based games and the demo.

What should I play on?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Holy hell did Ch. 11 kick my ass. It felt like solving a huge puzzle by the end. I had already given up on having no deaths since I lost Maribelle in one of the paralogues, but the enemies kept killing all my good guys. After a few hours, I eventually got through without a single death, and damn did I feel accomplished. I also got the Bullion(L), but I forgot to give someone a chest key for the other treasure.

On the plus side, it taught me just how blessed my Sumia is. She currently has the highest overall rating of the unpromoted units, and paired with her husband Chrom, she is a a goddamn force. Nowi/Gregor, MU/Tharja, and Kellam/Vaike were also superstars. It sucks that Kellam and Vaike don't support, so I'm gonna find better pairings in the future. But for the purposes of tanking, it was very key to winning. Poor Olivia and Gaius wound up being relegated to only dealing with the top-left reinforcements, but it was a very important role nonetheless.

(Due to my wi-fi being out, I can't download and grind with Spotpass battles. But I guess that's for the better for my first playthrough.)

Say, if I miss a chest, can I go back and get it in a skirmish? I've gotten them all so far, but that'll make my roster construction easier.

Kellam died :( should I reset or there is a better knight?

Also is the farmer in paralogue 1 any useful? He is too weak now...

You don't get another knight for a long time. Or another archer.

And Donnel is Fire Emblem's typical underpowered weakling who becomes unstoppable if you put in the effort to train them.

So who wants to join my Gregor fan club? Seriously though, he's got to be one of my all time favorites. Gotta love that accent! His lines are great and he's a monster on the battle field. Nothing hits him. Who vants more Grrregor?

While my Gregor hasn't exactly been stellar as yours in battle, I do consider him to have one of the best personalities in the game.

...Did you get your name changed or are you new? I recognize your avatar but not your name...

I'm new, got approved around last month

Absolutely loving this, and it's surprisingly easy for me considering it's the first SRPG I seriously have gotten involved in. I'm on Normal Classic and just about all of my army seems pretty damn powerful. The game started becoming more difficult after Chapter 10, but it's seem simple once again at Chapter 13. I try to do all of the side missions mind you, which probably has something to do with the fact that I'm kicking serious ass.

It's good though, the story is a little boring and I don't really feel all that emotionally connected to any of the characters, but the writing is pretty snappy and overall it's a charming, nice game. I'm exciting to eventually beat it and start over on Hard, but is there a New Game+? That'd be nice, but I wouldn't be surprised if not.

This is my first Fire Emblem, but I've played other turn-based games and the demo.

What should I play on?

I've been going back and forth between Normal and Hard, and I'm beginning to think the latter might be too tough for me. I've played FE before, but maybe you're smarter.

What should I play on?

Many people consider normal to be too easy, but it might be okay for a series beginner. If you'd prefer the game to test you right away, you should try hard mode. In either case you can adjust the difficulty by choosing how much to engage in optional battles.

As for casual v. classic, I think it's really up to the individual player. I play classic because the fear of permadeath is part of FE's appeal to me (every game a myrmidon must die), but it's possible that hard mode / casual would be a good combination for a first-time player.

Kellam died :( should I reset or there is a better knight?

Your earliest opportunity for another knight will be reclassing one of your other units, but I think you should carry on because (a) you don't need Kellam, and (b) you don't need knights.

I'd forgotten how much fun it is using a Knight. Normally I ditch them because of low movement but I make exceptions for certain units like Oswin, Amelia, Gatrie, and now Kellam. I reclassed Kellam to Thief for Move +1 and now he has the speed to go with his crazy strength and defense.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
How do people here feel about changing to classes where the character is only able to use a new weapon type? I try to avoid it, but when the other choice is promoting, what do most people pick?

Thanks TWILT and Naraj.

Go back to that menu and summon them again. Although I don't know how they just disappeared. Mine just stay there forever.

Yeah, they just up and vanished in a puff of smoke on the world map literally. I'm wondering if it's because an enemy popped up on their map and I went in the fight them. Of course, Ike's team wrecked them and only left me one bandit to kill myself. Shortly after, they disappeared. Not sure if this had anything to do with it though.

How do people here feel about changing to classes where the character is on able to use a new weapon typr? I try to avoid it, but when the other choice is promoting, what do most people pick?

I didn't worry about it too much since reclassed characters were usually still strong enough to kill things with bronze weapons. If they struggled, I could either pair them up or weaken enemies for them. I don't recall the weapons-levels being a problem for more than one or two of my characters.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Got a few questions:

What determines whether or not a character paired up with another character will also attack?

Regarding second classing and advanced classing, should I avoid using a master seal? Basically, are there any disadvantages to giving a poor character a master class?

Been having a hard time with Chapter 12 (restarted at least 10 times already). I wish the dlc leveled with you so I could do those, though I did finish the champions of yore pack.

Moonlight

Banned
What determines whether or not a character paired up with another character will also attack?
Their support rank is the most important factor in making a paired up character attack. A pair who are S-Ranked will have a dramatically higher chance to follow up on the other's attacks than a pair where a support simply isn't possible. Unfortunately, there's no real way to 'guarantee' that a follow-up attack will happen, to my understanding, it's an invisible percentile the game checks whenever you attack.

Regarding second classing and advanced classing, should I avoid using a master seal? Basically, are there any disadvantages to giving a poor character a master class?
There are absolutely no disadvantages to giving a poor character a promotion using a Master Seal (a Second Seal is a different story, though), although if you're strapped for them it's probably a better idea to go with characters you're more fond of using.

Been having a hard time with Chapter 12 (restarted at least 10 times already). I wish the dlc leveled with you so I could do those, though I did finish the champions of yore pack.
If you're having trouble finding a decent way to grind (in the absence of Reeking Boxes), try going into the 'Wireless' option and hit up SpotPass teams close or a little under your team's level.

Yeah, chapter 3 is what's killing me now. Frederick's Silver Lance already broke, so I've been trying to get by with pairing up and stuff, but it's been unsuccessful.

The key to beating it for me was taking Kellam's javelin and giving it to Frederick. That ranged attack and ability to counter against archers was critical. From there, I just needed the hammer wielder to miss once and I was able to beat it.

VICI0US

Got a few questions:

support attacks are percent based. you should be able to see the %chance when you initiate attacks. you can increase the chance of support attacks by a) having a higher level support relationship between your units and b) equipping certain class skills like dual strike+

in previous FE games you'd want to wait until level 20 to use a master seal to maximize exp/levels. In awakening, however, with basically infinite experience, level ups, and reclassing it's actually in your best interest to use your master seals when units get their second class skill at level 10 (level 15 in the case of unique classes like manakete, dancer, taguel, villager.) Your units will start earning their second set of class skills that much faster, not to mention the nice stat boosts from the advanced classes should help you if you're struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom