• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Ogre Battle doesn't have a grid based maps unlike Fire Emblem or Tactics Ogre.

It doesn't... But that's not really the point. The question wasn't what SRPG's are similar to Fire Emblem, but rather if Fire Emblem was as good as Tactics Ogre. In my opinion, Fire Emblem is better, and the *only* SRPGs I think rivals it are the Ogre Battle style games.

That's all I'm saying. Not making a comparison or discussing similarities or differences at all, just answering the original poster's question.

massoluk

Banned
Broke the game again on Hard Classic, much faster this time. Knowing where to expect reinforcements help a ton, but not focusing on a particular Waifu-Bromance tactical action makes the game a lot easier than I thought. Spreading the B & C-Level loves.

Lexxism

Can the female child of Lucina(Morgan) and Chrom inherit rightful king if the skill is put at the last slot before doing their paralogue? Aether is automatic for female and Rightful king for male.

Javier

Someone in the Smash thread suggested Chrom and Lucina in a Pair-Up, Ice Climbers-fighting style, which could be pretty awesome.

PBalfredo

How about not being a coward and running away from his country as it's being destroyed just to save his own scrawny ass.

Going to foreign countries to recruit allies for the liberation of your kingdom is page 1 out of the Fire Emblem playbook for lords of invaded kingdoms.

Is this game climbing up anyone else's "favorite games of all time" list? I honestly don't think I've ever enjoyed a game this much. Half-way through my second hard/classic run and I'm looking forward to lunatic next.

I've got 85 hours on the Activity Log. My second closest game is Mario Kart 7 at 39 hours and I've owned a 3DS since launch.

Soulhouf

Is this game climbing up anyone else's "favorite games of all time" list? I honestly don't think I've ever enjoyed a game this much. Half-way through my second hard/classic run and I'm looking forward to lunatic next.

I've got 85 hours on the Activity Log. My second closest game is Mario Kart 7 at 39 hours and I've owned a 3DS since launch.

For me no, for a couple of obvious reasons. It's still great, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it and right now I'm playing Lunatic mode after beating it.
With that said, the first 3-4 chapters in Lunatic mode increased the game's value significantly. I wish the entire game was that intense.

For me no, for a couple of obvious reasons. It's still great, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it and right now I'm playing Lunatic mode after beating it.
With that said, the first 3-4 chapters in Lunatic mode increased the game's value significantly. I wish the entire game was that intense.
Yeah, I remember reading your review yesterday, seems like some differences of opinion between us regarding stuff like the story and how the children were handled.

Does the game get less intense on Lunatic even if you completely avoid grinding?

Soulhouf

Yeah, I remember reading your review yesterday, seems like some differences of opinion between us regarding stuff like the story and how the children were handled.

Does the game get less intense on Lunatic even if you completely avoid grinding?

It's hard to say. But the problem is, since you have so much more options past chapter 4 when it opens up and since I can grind, every time I hit a wall, that's what I will do.
First chapters are really well designed and there are always a way to succeed with the little items and options you have. The short nature of these missions helps a lot, you won't get as much frustrated as when you're playing a map for 1 hour and you get killed toward the end which is very common in later chapters.
The game feels pretty much as a chess game in the first chapters, but that feeling sort of fades away later, if you see what I mean.

Tis lunatic wall has me waaaaay stumped

Where did you hit a wall? I can provide some tips since it's still fresh in my mind.

Draxal

It's hard to say. But the problem is, since you have so much more options past chapter 4 when it opens up and since I can grind, every time I hit a wall, that's what I will do.
First chapters are really well designed and there are always a way to succeed with the little items and options you have. The short nature of these missions helps a lot, you won't get as much frustrated as when you're playing a map for 1 hour and you get killed toward the end which is very common in later chapters.
The game feels pretty much as a chess game in the first chapters, but that feeling sort of fades away later, if you see what I mean.

Yeah, it's just because the inherent variance of levels/stat gains on levels increases mightily past the first four levels, that you can't control gameplay as tightly as you can say ... in Advance Wars for example.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The thing is, I honestly don't think it's possible to balance an entire SRPG that way, there is far too much "wiggle room" thanks to the RPG nature of the genre. Even in an older FE where EXP is a limited resource there is no way to know what a player's party will look like a few chapters in (much less 10 or 20) so at some point the game just can't be designed that tightly.

In every FE I've played (every SRPG, really) there comes a point where your party is good enough to steamroll a map for the most part, especially if you know what you're doing in terms of equipping skills and weapons, maximizing your use of EXP, etc.

The only way I can see a game feeling like the first few chapters of lunatic throughout its duration is if the options given to the player regarding party customization are severely limited (so in other words, more of a strategy game). When you play chess you don't have the option of equipping your pawn with a Brave Sword.

Draxal

So the last paralogue I got was Anna the Merchant. Do the next ones not pop up for awhile?

After you beat chapter 13, and you get all the baby making couples done. There is a substanial increase in difficulty in some of them. The easiest ones are the Lissa/Sully/Miriel/Main Unit ones, while the harder ones are the Cordelia/Cherche/Nowi/Olivia/Panne/Tharja.

eznark

Banned
Ah, cool thanks. I've got like everyone up to their second class but am just getting to chapter 13 now. That dialog. lololol

Also: "equip anyone who can bear arms, we fight for out lives!" ..... choose 12 party members.

neoemonk

Alright Fire Emblem. You win. I surrender.

Started on hard/classic. I had played the early part of the original GBA game (Lyn's story I believe) and all of Sacred Stones. I thought I was a "series veteran". I went in with every intent of going ironman.

After three chapters, paralogue 1, and a fight with Florina's team, I only have MU, Chrom, Frederick, Sumia, and Florina alive. I'm going to start over and do the whole "reset on character death" thing. I don't think I can win any more fights with such a small team.

The Wyvern class seems to be pretty bad in this game. :/

With Magic being so good, the low RES they have really hurts them during combat. Add in a mediocre skill set and perhaps an even more terrible secondary class with the Griffons, and I'm basically having to class change and ditch Minerva so that Cherch and Gerome can take a hit against spellcasters.

Which is rather sad when I remember having Heath, Cormag, Jill, and especially Haar turning out to be death tanks that can fly.

zroid

Banned

Started on hard/classic. I had played the early part of the original GBA game (Lyn's story I believe) and all of Sacred Stones. I thought I was a "series veteran". I went in with every intent of going ironman.

After three chapters, paralogue 1, and a fight with Florina's team, I only have MU, Chrom, Frederick, Sumia, and Florina alive. I'm going to start over and do the whole "reset on character death" thing. I don't think I can win any more fights with such a small team.

Ironically I'm a first-timer to FE and I made it through Chapter 4 and Paralogue 1 without losing anyone (no restarts, Hard/Classic). Then Chapter 5 wrecked me. :(

I restarted on character death though, from Ch 5 onwards.

Jachaos

Yeah, I'd definitely prefer her over Chrom. Not a big fan of the whole bare-shoulder look. Aether could be her Final Smash. :)

It's already in as Ike's so I'd like for her to have something different, maybe disappear and come outside a time warp slashing in a direction you aim for an instant KO. Don't know though. I'd like to be able to have a Ike vs Lucina vs Black Knight fight. Wish they add those last two, some of my most wanted characters along with Ghirahim from The Legend of Zelda : Skyward Sword.

The Wyvern class seems to be pretty bad in this game. :/

With Magic being so good, the low RES they have really hurts them during combat. Add in a mediocre skill set and perhaps an even more terrible secondary class with the Griffons, and I'm basically having to class change and ditch Minerva so that Cherch and Gerome can take a hit against spellcasters.

Which is rather sad when I remember having Heath, Cormag, Jill, and especially Haar turning out to be death tanks that can fly.

Haar was one of the best for me on every playthrough, up there with Mia and Nephenee.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The thing is, I honestly don't think it's possible to balance an entire SRPG that way, there is far too much "wiggle room" thanks to the RPG nature of the genre. Even in an older FE where EXP is a limited resource there is no way to know what a player's party will look like a few chapters in (much less 10 or 20) so at some point the game just can't be designed that tightly.

In every FE I've played (every SRPG, really) there comes a point where your party is good enough to steamroll a map for the most part, especially if you know what you're doing in terms of equipping skills and weapons, maximizing your use of EXP, etc.

The only way I can see a game feeling like the first few chapters of lunatic throughout its duration is if the options given to the player regarding party customization are severely limited (so in other words, more of a strategy game). When you play chess you don't have the option of equipping your pawn with a Brave Sword.

I agree with your general point that the more freedom you give players to build their parties across chapters the more difficult it is to balance the game (although I think IS has done a decent job in the past). I'm not sure that typical FE tricks like de-emphasizing the weapons triangle or giving the enemies higher stats and forged weapons solve the problem. I actually think it would be better if the weapons triangle mattered more so that players had to build balanced teams and focus on deploying them properly. IS could also resurrect Thracia 776's fatigue system for hard mode: you couldn't lean on a few OP units because units would have to sit out battles from time to time. They could challenge the player through side-objectives. If the only physic staff available on hard mode required you to rescue a distant village, it might force the player into some very difficult circumstances.

Well, you get points for bravery. Your previous FE experiences may have given you a slightly misleading impression. Lyn's story is the tutorial for FE7, and FE8 is one of the easier games in the series - certainly far, far less challenging than Awakening's Hard Mode.

Draxal

I agree with your general point that the more freedom you give players to build their parties across chapters the more difficult it is to balance the game (although I think IS has done a decent job in the past). I'm not sure that typical FE tricks like de-emphasizing the weapons triangle or giving the enemies higher stats and forged weapons solve the problem. I actually think it would be better if the weapons triangle mattered more so that players had to build balanced teams and focus on deploying them properly. IS could also resurrect Thracia 776's fatigue system for hard mode: you couldn't lean on a few OP units because units would have to sit out battles from time to time. They could challenge the player through side-objectives. If the only physic staff available on hard mode required you to rescue a distant village, it might force the player into some very difficult circumstances.

Yeah I was thinking of Thracia 776, it's considered to be by far the best Fire Emblem by pretty all of the hardcore purists, however it also sold the worst (it was released far too late in the Super Famicom's life time cycle to be fair) and too difficult for a decent amount of Japanese gamers. I'm wondering if the accessibility of this Fire Emblem is boosting sales a ton.

Margalis

Banned
Question for people farther into the game than me:

Do I need to worry about getting couples up to S-rank? Is there some cutoff where you are supposed to do that or is fine to go at whatever pace I want?

I'm not really staying consistent with who I pair with who and I use most of my roster, so right now my highest rank is B for Virion and Sully and every other pairing is C or below. (I'm on chapter 7 IIRC)

I have to say the pairing is a really neat mechanic. By that I mean the actual two-guys-become-one thing. It really helps to learn what each guy adds to a pair and pair smartly - pairing a guy who adds speed to push someone from one attacks to two, pairing Vaike with Donnel so he actually does damage at early levels, etc.

Bonus question:

On the map I see random armies of Risen appearing. Do I need to fight these or are they totally optional? Also they seem pretty strong, or at least high level compared to me. Is that normal? The one that just spawned the boss is like level 12 or 13 and the average troops are 9 while my highest level guy is still 7 IIRC.

Question for people farther into the game than me:

Do I need to worry about getting couples up to S-rank? Is there some cutoff where you are supposed to do that or is fine to go at whatever pace I want?

You can go at your own pace. After Chapter 13 a bunch of paralogues open up if certain female characters are married (have an S-rank with a male character), but they don't have to be married by Chapter 13 for this to happen.

Nevertheless, you should think about building links as fast as possible because in Awakening it is almost always the best strategy to have all your units paired up, and the pairs will be far more effective if they are S-ranked.

On the map I see random armies of Risen appearing. Do I need to fight these or are they totally optional? Also they seem pretty strong, or at least high level compared to me. Is that normal? The one that just spawned the boss is like level 12 or 13 and the average troops are 9 while my highest level guy is still 7 IIRC.

They are optional. If you can't beat them right now, just continue the story and hope that a more manageable skirmish will appear on the map.

Yeah I was thinking of Thracia 776, it's considered to be by far the best Fire Emblem by pretty all of the hardcore purists, however it also sold the worst (it was released far too late in the Super Famicom's life time cycle to be fair) and too difficult for a decent amount of Japanese gamers. I'm wondering if the accessibility of this Fire Emblem is boosting sales a ton.

Accessibility probably helps. And I don't think the series needs to return to Tracia 776's default difficulty. I just think that fatigue might be a more interesting feature for higher difficulty levels than "you can't see the enemies movement ranges" or "everyone's got +2 silver weapons."

Also, the varied mission objectives must return on every difficulty setting.

Soulhouf

Chapter 3 :(
Chapter 2 was enough of a bitch already

Can't believe lunatic+ is an actual thing

The first turn is crucial in that map. If you make a mistake, you're screwed.
Here is what I did:
1- pair up Frederick with Chrom
2- Move Chrom to the left square near Kellam. Talk to him, switch to Frederick
3- Move Kellam to safety
4- Wait the turn enemies get crushed by Frederick/Chrom counter attacks. At this point only 2 units should remain. Finish them with your units and put them to safety from the right side enemies.
5- Heal Frederic/Chrom then move them to the right to face the enemies there.
Rinse and repeat

Leave weakened enemies to your MU and the other weak units and they will get a lot of XP by finishing them.

NeonZ

The level of the skirmishes are always 4-7 levels above the enemies of the original story battle located there (outside of lunatic). So, initially they'll be higher level than your party, but that should end soon when you have more locations open.

Finished the game. What do I do now? Go do random battles? Buy DLC? Or start over? I need guidance.

Random battles are potentially infinite and not that interesting. Try clearing out the spotpass challenges. They're free. If the DLC appeals to you, you can try those too, but they're pretty meager experiences for the price.

Probably the most fun thing to do is start over on a different difficulty setting and try to approach the game a whole new way.

mercviper

Chapter 3 :(
Chapter 2 was enough of a bitch already

Can't believe lunatic+ is an actual thing

I actually found 3 to be a lot easier than 2 :/ I'd say the early walls in Lunatic for me were Chapter 2 and 4. 2 because of my stubbornness to not let Frederick take all the exp past the bridge, even though I eventually caved and let him solo everyone but the boss in a fort. 4 because of the lack of terrain advantages to press and the inability to create a choke point.

For Ch. 3 you can immediately notice that the left side only harbors 4 units to the right side's 5. I believe that Fred can take out one of them immediately (the archer in the woods?) whilst you can pair chrom with Kellam and move him north to tank the other archer's hit. The forests should restrict the other unit's movement enough that they can't get to anyone but possibly frederick. Everyone else you have you can inch as close as you can to the left, and the following turn you ought to be able to enclose the archer after he leaves his position to hit kellam, and finish off the other 2. Turn 3 you can send Fred to tank the right side and deal with them as you please. After that pick a door and create a choke, but bait the enemy and pull back so they get stuck in the stairs which lets multiple ranged units on your end whittle away at the guy stuck in the choke.

I do not understand how can one play this game on hard + permadeath. I think I am playing this game kind of wrong (currently on hard/casual, after restarting from normal/traditional). It seems the game has relatively few chapters (compared to say, ff tactics), but each is to be approached with much more care?

It seems *so easy* to lose a character. Should I restart in normal/traditional? Or hard/traditional? Should I just kill everything with Frederick? and keep all the other losers behind?

I kind of like the concept of permadeath, the only thing I dislike about it is that it (probably) means that most team characters have no dialogue (except when they are introduced) and no relevance to the story at all. Kind of like FF tactics guests when they actually joined the roster.

Mmh.

On topic: when does one unlock the dlc? I am at chapter 3. Kind of bummed if I should restart a third time.

Anteo

I do not understand how can one play this game on hard + permadeath. I think I am playing this game kind of wrong (currently on hard/casual, after restarting from normal/traditional). It seems the game has relatively few chapters (compared to say, ff tactics), but each is to be approached with much more care?

It seems *so easy* to lose a character. Should I restart in normal/traditional? Or hard/traditional? Should I just kill everything with Frederick? and keep all the other losers behind?

I kind of like the concept of permadeath, the only thing I dislike about it is that it (probably) means that most team characters have no dialogue (except when they are introduced) and no relevance to the story at all. Kind of like FF tactics guests when they actually joined the roster.

Mmh.

On topic: when does one unlock the dlc? I am at chapter 3. Kind of bummed if I should restart a third time.

Frederick is a advanced unit, he is pretty weak for his actual level (20 + 1) but overpowered for the first few chapters. As an advanced unit he will get less exp per kill than other units so try to use him only when necesary.

Try to play it safe, units have weaknesses based on their stats (a Armored unit has low resistance for example) or harcoded into their class (Flyer units get 3x damage from weapons like bows and wind magic) so try to take that into accoun when makingmoves.

Also what a lot of us do is restart the chapter when someone dies. Is part of the charm, I HAVE to get a perfect play on every map otherwise I may cripple myself for the later stages (like not having any healer because all of them died)

The DLC unlocks after ch 4.

GeekyDad

Mmh.

Well, secondary characters have most of their dialogue and relevance within the Support dialogues. In that, they're much more relevant than the generics of FFT.

But yeah, I'd consider Normal if Hard is giving you trouble. The thing is, you have to kinda..."get" Fire Emblem, and then Hard starts to seem too easy. That being said, the first few chapters (before you're given the chance to grind) are still quite challenging. But, unlike FFT, most enemies in Fire Emblem need to be agroed. If you played anything like Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, you'll know what I mean. Kinda like how you wouldn't dash into a clutch of enemies in Demon's/Dark Souls, the same goes for FE. Pick your battles, pay close attention to the weapons triangle, keep your ranged/healer units out of reach of melee units, etc.

You are half right. In FE games the only playable characters who influence the plot tend to be the lord and one or two of his allies (who will "retreat" rather than die when killed in battle). Other playable characters, will, however, have speak in support conversations or base conversations.

Ferrio

Banned
Is the difficulty of paralogue chapters based on their chapter #? The enemies in them seem way more powerful than the story chapter I'm currently on.

Well, secondary characters have most of their dialogue and relevance within the Support dialogues. In that, they're much more relevant than the generics of FFT.

But yeah, I'd consider Normal if Hard is giving you trouble. The thing is, you have to kinda..."get" Fire Emblem, and then Hard starts to seem too easy. That being said, the first few chapters (before you're given the chance to grind) are still quite challenging. But, unlike FFT, most enemies in Fire Emblem need to be agroed. If you played anything like Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, you'll know what I mean. Kinda like how you wouldn't dash into a clutch of enemies in Demon's/Dark Souls, the same goes for FE. Pick your battles, pay close attention to the weapons triangle, keep your ranged/healer units out of reach of melee units, etc.

I am actually finding hard to be ok, but I pretty much systematically lose a lot of characters, which makes me feel like I am cheating. I am not sure if I should play normal/traditional or hard/casual. Or hard/traditional, but I am not sure my blood pressure is up to it.

I also think that if I played on traditional, I'd try to avoid restart after losing characters, but making myself permanently stuck in later chapters would make me a very very unhappy lord.
horrible memories of wiegraf resurface

So when you change classes, lets say, 2-3 times, I noticed that your character growth is slower. So for instance I changed my Avatar from a Tactician, to a Fighter, to a Hero, then Second Seal'd him to a Berserker. I do this mainly because I don't like fighting enemies and not gaining EXP. I've done this with several other units as well. What's a great way to grind and max stat these classes?

Boney

Banned
I actually found 3 to be a lot easier than 2 :/ I'd say the early walls in Lunatic for me were Chapter 2 and 4. 2 because of my stubbornness to not let Frederick take all the exp past the bridge, even though I eventually caved and let him solo everyone but the boss in a fort. 4 because of the lack of terrain advantages to press and the inability to create a choke point.

For Ch. 3 you can immediately notice that the left side only harbors 4 units to the right side's 5. I believe that Fred can take out one of them immediately (the archer in the woods?) whilst you can pair chrom with Kellam and move him north to tank the other archer's hit. The forests should restrict the other unit's movement enough that they can't get to anyone but possibly frederick. Everyone else you have you can inch as close as you can to the left, and the following turn you ought to be able to enclose the archer after he leaves his position to hit kellam, and finish off the other 2. Turn 3 you can send Fred to tank the right side and deal with them as you please. After that pick a door and create a choke, but bait the enemy and pull back so they get stuck in the stairs which lets multiple ranged units on your end whittle away at the guy stuck in the choke.
So far I just managed to kill the right side by javeling with kellam the enemy soldier and finishing him off with with silver lanced fred + vaike, was lucky enough to survive the barrage towards kellam and then killed em off without losing anyone trying to get sumia to get some exp same as MU.

I then used fred + vaike with the javelin to weaken the guys on the right before they could get towards the left woods, i then retreated, paired MU with a kellam and healded fred vack in the woods, sadly MU wasn't sturdy enough and died with 2 hits :(

Guess i should've kept walling with fred and have the secondary front with chrom whose a lot sturdier than MU (11 def vs 6 iirc teehee) but still... Sigh...

And yeah chapter 2 was a bitch to move the guys to the mountains while fred plus chrom weakened everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom