• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

I really don't get why so many folks feel they need to start on Hard when it's their first entry into the series. You're not going to get branded with a scarlet letter. Baby steps, man. Learn the mechanics, have fun, then try your hand at the harder difficulties. Folks are going to sour themselves on Fire Emblem if they insist on banging their heads on a brick wall.

That being said, I still recommend newcomers play in the Classic mode. It will encourage the type of tactics Fire Emblem was designed around.

Heh, I would argue against it and actually consider going for Hard/casual, Normal's just too easy, that you blatantly can ignore alot of the mechanics of the game for and just steam roll.

And in all honesty hard mode is still kinda easy compared to say some of the older fire emblems like Thracia 776, which didn't have variable difficulties.

Aeana

I really don't get why so many folks feel they need to start on Hard when it's their first entry into the series. You're not going to get branded with a scarlet letter. Baby steps, man. Learn the mechanics, have fun, then try your hand at the harder difficulties. Folks are going to sour themselves on Fire Emblem if they insist on banging their heads on a brick wall.

That being said, I still recommend newcomers play in the Classic mode. It will encourage the type of tactics Fire Emblem was designed around.

Probably comes from the ridiculous elitist attitude that some people have expressed over casual mode and calling normal "baby mode," etc.

Heh, I would argue against it and actually consider going for Hard/casual, Normal's just too easy, that you blatantly can ignore alot of the mechanics of the game for and just steam roll.

And in all honesty hard mode is still kinda easy compared to say some of the older fire emblems like Thracia 776, which didn't have variable difficulties.

Sounds like you've played Fire Emblem before. Your situation is not the same as someone who has never played a Fire Emblem game or has little experience with SRPGs in general.

Anteo

I started on Hard when I played FE:Radiant Dawn (my first FE). And after screwing myself up with 2 promotions on Micaiah (First one at lvl 10, second at lvl 2) I restrated.. ON HARD.
I can relate to that feeling, generally I go for the dificulte above normal in any game I play even if is my first time.

Ferrio

Banned
Probably comes from the ridiculous elitist attitude that some people have expressed over casual mode and calling normal "baby mode," etc.

Sounds like you've played Fire Emblem before. Your situation is not the same as someone who has never played a Fire Emblem game or has little experience with SRPGs in general.

I find normal pretty difficult myself, but only because I'm playing on classic mode. Making one mistake and you're fucked.

Draxal

Ayup, but I actually read what the initial person has complained about. His frustratrion about (getting trapped into a hole that's impossible to dig out of) is something that casual mode was pretty much invented for.

Trust me, I'm a very big advocate of casual mode, which alot of people are against, I'm not an elitist by any stretch. But people in this thread have been complaining about how normal was too easy.

GeekyDad

Yeah, but that's looking at it from the perspective of a veteran of the series. I agree. Hard is easy post-Chapter 4. Thing is, this guy (and many other folks like him) has never played an FE game before and needs to familiarize themselves with the mechanics. Taking away the perma-death option really changes the FE experience fundamentally in my opinion.

Either way, it's obvious he was frustrated by Hard mode, and it would be a shame to see someone give up on the game, rather than take advantage of other options made available to the player. I never saw a person who'd never played football win a game for the Dallas Cowboys. I don't see the shame in...learning. Normal mode is for just that purpose.

You only get 1 healer for a very long time. If you are having issues, I recommend pressing X to see the threat-grid.

If he's on chapter 9, he should have 2 healers - Lissa and Maribelle. And he recruits Libra that chapter.

I started on Hard when I played FE:Radiant Dawn (my first FE). And after screwing myself up with 2 promotions on Micaiah (First one at lvl 10, second at lvl 2) I restrated.. ON HARD.
I can relate to that feeling, generally I go for the dificulte above normal in any game I play even if is my first time.

Difficulties in Radiant Dawn were mislabeled in English. Japanese Normal became English Easy, Normal became Hard, and Very Hard became Hard. So you were actually playing two difficulties above normal.

Draxal

Yeah, but that's looking at it from the perspective of a veteran of the series. I agree. Hard is easy post-Chapter 4. Thing is, this guy (and many other folks like him) has never played an FE game before and needs to familiarize themselves with the mechanics. Taking away the perma-death option really changes the FE experience fundamentally in my opinion.

Either way, it's obvious he was frustrated by Hard mode, and it would be a shame to see someone give up on the game, rather than take advantage of other options made available to the player. I never saw a person who'd never played football win a game for the Dallas Cowboys. I don't see the shame in...learning. Normal mode is for just that purpose.

I disagree, in all honesty what I got from him was that permadeath was more frustrating than anything else (the only one healer was a giveaway). And you said it yourself, he got past the hard part of hard.

We'er basically saying the same thing but just have a fundamental different view on casual mode. I don't view classic/casual as being a huge thing at all anymore, the convenience of casual (more for the in game saves in long battles) will probably teach him more then him stomping through normal.

Anteo

If he's on chapter 9, he should have 2 healers - Lissa and Maribelle. And he recruits Libra that chapter.

Difficulties in Radiant Dawn were mislabeled in English. Japanese Normal became English Easy, Normal became Hard, and Very Hard became Hard. So you were actually playing two difficulties above normal.

Nah because the "very hard" dificulty was locked until you beat the game, I know about the normal->hard thing, that's why I called it hard. Now going to very hard? No thank you, it was fun the first few levels but with no way to see the enemy ranges it became almost impossible.

Aeana

I can't remember if this ever happened in any earlier Fire Emblem game, but I sure love how when you enter into a battle, the map music continues but it seamlessly changes to a battley version of it. It actually gave me goosebumps when I was doing a reeking box battle just now.

CSX

I can't remember if this ever happened in any earlier Fire Emblem game, but I sure love how when you enter into a battle, the map music continues but it seamlessly changes to a battley version of it. It actually gave me goosebumps when I was doing a reeking box battle just now.

First time for an english FE it does this. You can tell since the DLC uses all the older game's stage music +battle themes

DoubleTap

I keep forgetting to turn off my inner Advance Wars clock. I keep rushing into battle and getting people killed. There's no bonus for completing the chapter with the fewest moves right?

I keep forgetting to turn off my inner Advance Wars clock. I keep rushing into battle and getting people killed. There's no bonus for completing the chapter with the fewest moves right?

Not in this one. Though there may be some sort of grade you get at the end for how many moves you used.

papercamm

Perfection. It's the reason I wait to do random battles on the map; mostly for the awesome Fire Emblem remix.

ohlawd

You save time; that's the bonus :p

they took out the ratings from previous FEs of how well you've handled turn count, money, that stuff so that's one incentive lost in doing this efficiently.

Unless I'm wrong and future DLC fixes this?

Draxal

Not in this one. Though there may be some sort of grade you get at the end for how many moves you used.

There's no grade but it does list the top characters at the end of game/turns taken when you beat teh game roll.

Repeatable spotpasses/dlc/skirmishes makes it a pretty moot point.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

This was definitely not the case in the GBA games. I can't recall what happened in the GC games though.

Just beat the game. That was a spectacular experience, and it'll take quite an rpg to top it as my favorite so far this year. Also
FUCK YEAH SUPPORT LOGS UNLOCKED

The question now is whether to skip Hard and start a Lunatic run... there's no other way of getting Lunatic + correct?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Just beat the game. That was a spectacular experience, and it'll take quite an rpg to top it as my favorite so far this year. Also
FUCK YEAH SUPPORT LOGS UNLOCKED

The question now is whether to skip Hard and start a Lunatic run... there's no other way of getting Lunatic + correct?

Correct.

There's no grade but it does list the top characters at the end of game/turns taken when you beat teh game roll.

Repeatable spotpasses/dlc/skirmishes makes it a pretty moot point.

There's no grade per se but some characters have shiny medals next to their names as a sort of ranking thing I think.

Moonlight

Banned
It wasn't a joke, it was a promise.

FonQiiw.jpg

kIQWJpc.jpg

Kincaido x Cordelia OTP

Oh yeah, are you guys using the full view or the not-full view? And are you choosing weapons before targets (classic) or target before weapons (new in Awakening)? And is this your first time playing Fire Emblem?

mercviper

Oh yeah, are you guys using the full view or the not-full view? And are you choosing weapons before targets (classic) or target before weapons (new in Awakening)? And is this you first time playing Fire Emblem?

I use the default view because the 1-number rating is weird to me and I like seeing full stats.

Also I guess I do the default for target->weapons? What's the difference between the 2 options? Is the former that you have to manually equip the chosen weapon before choosing a target? I find it really easy to pick a target and then cycle through weapons while it displays hit-rates and damage for each one. I usually forget to do the same for my support though and it's a hassle to actually equip the support weapon and then switch back over, but meh.

Draxal

I use the default view because the 1-number rating is weird to me and I like seeing full stats.

Also I guess I do the default for target->weapons? What's the difference between the 2 options? Is the former that you have to manually equip the chosen weapon before choosing a target? I find it really easy to pick a target and then cycle through weapons while it displays hit-rates and damage for each one. I usually forget to do the same for my support though and it's a hassle to actually equip the support weapon and then switch back over, but meh.

I'll give an example, if you're playing a class with sword/tome and have the sword equipped with a spell book in hand, it'll let you target all of the enemies within 1/2 range and switches to the spell book by default.

While if you do sword > target, it wouldn't let you select the targets in range 2.

Chrom

The default one has you select an enemy before choosing a weapon.

The classic way is to choose the weapon first, then the enemy.

mercviper

I'll give an example, if you're playing a class with sword/tome and have the sword equipped with a spell book in hand, it'll let you target all of the enemies within 1/2 range and switches to the spell book by default.

While if you do sword > target, it wouldn't let you select the targets in range 2.

Oh. I just thought it was some option in the menus to toggle the way the game played. A proper answer then is that I use both, heavily relying on target into weapon choice. The only time I do weapon into target is when I'm forced to by choosing a proper support weapon dependent on the target I'm hitting.

It's just so much easier to do target->weapon choice so why even bother with weapon->target unless forced to? :x

Frolow

Banned
Oh yeah, are you guys using the full view or the not-full view? And are you choosing weapons before targets (classic) or target before weapons (new in Awakening)? And is this you first time playing Fire Emblem?

Full view since there's a lot of helpful stats that aren't in the streamlined version. I'm using the new targeting system since it's more convent. And this is my second Fire Emblem, I got halfway through Sacred Stones before Awakening came out so I was already familiar with the mechanics.

Also, I beat Chapter 11 and
if I knew Virion was a freaking duke I wouldn't have let him die back in Chapter 6! Oh well.

Wilsongt

Oh yeah, are you guys using the full view or the not-full view? And are you choosing weapons before targets (classic) or target before weapons (new in Awakening)? And is this your first time playing Fire Emblem?

Full view; strongest weapon on first, and change up depending on the situation; My 10th Fire Emblem, 5th one beaten.

Also, the changing weapons on the fly came from FE12.

Edit: Oh, you mean that targeting system where you actually select your target before you even more vs standing next to your target and then choosing your weapon.

Full view, with classic weapon switching. Selecting targets first just feels incredibly wrong. And as you would suspect, I am a FE veteran.

ohlawd

-Mostly I leave it on the full view page just so I can see the stats. It doesn't really matter because there's a toggle that switches between the two.

-Evolved. Classic is pretty much Evolved with an extra step.

-No, this is my 6th FE.

mercviper

Totally missed that third question.

This is my first or second FE. I don't remember playing a first but a lot of the mechanics are very familiar to me. I'm unsure if it's because I enjoy tactics games in general or if it's because I've actually played an FE before.

Anna got shafted hard in terms of support.
That's one of my disappointments about this game. All the characters that can only marry Robin got really ripped off in the support department.

Some of them have some really glaring omissions.
No Basilio x Lon'qu/Gregor? Flavia x Chrom? Emmeryn x Chrom/Lissa? Gangrel x Aversa? Yen'fay x Say'ri? Walhart x Virion/Cherche? So many missed opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom