• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
LOL, amazing.

So I had Sumia paired with Gaius, and I was planning to have her throw a couple Javelins at a nearby Risen Knight to weaken it a little, thereby letting Cordelia finish it off in her turn. Sumia would have dealt 4 x2 damage.

Well, instead, Sumia went and got a crit on her first attack (12 damage), then Gaius dual struck (6 damage), Sumia's second attack hit normally for 4, and Gaius dual struck AGAIN for another 6. The Risen Knight is down to 3 HP.

Cordelia's gonna like that.

Anteo

LOL, amazing.

So I had Sumia paired with Gaius, and I was planning to have her throw a couple Javelins at a nearby Risen Knight to weaken it a little, thereby letting Cordelia finish it off in her turn. Sumia would have dealt 4 x2 damage.

Well, instead, Sumia went and got a crit on her first attack (12 damage), then Gaius dual struck (6 damage), Sumia's second attack hit normally for 4, and Gaius dual struck AGAIN for another 6. The Risen Knight is down to 3 HP.

Cordelia's gonna like that.

Well that's good luck, in my case most of the time I try to weaken a enemy, the enemy just dies from a 1% critical. It's like the game has found a new way to troll me.

Chrom

I think the difficulty of the children Paralogues are according to the order of when the mothers were recruited in the story. That's what I've heard, at least.

zroid

Banned
Well that's good luck, in my case most of the time I try to weaken a enemy, the enemy just dies from a 1% critical. It's like the game has found a new way to troll me.

If Sumia had gotten a crit on both of her attacks, that truly would have been the ultimate troll :p

Vaike is too strong for his own good sometimes. If I put him at a choke-point (paired up with a Sage Miriel) he will kill absolutely everything that attacks him until he finally dies from being whittled away at for so long. I actually had to give him an Iron Axe to reduce his damage output on Chapter 13, haha.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Speaking with some chaps who are working on a perfect level-up RNG method for some of the more popular characters. Hopefully get something up in guide form in the next couple of days.

Ferrio

Banned
I think the difficulty of the children Paralogues are according to the order of when the mothers were recruited in the story. That's what I've heard, at least.

Hrm.. maybe I need to level some people up. I started rotating my characters a lot, so none are particularly powerful anymore.. especially since lots are still using E weapons now

Ferrio

Banned
The last few Paralogues (at least for the children) are actually some of the easiest.

Hrm.

Well I'm on chapter 13-14 story wise.... and some of these children paralogues are beating the crap outta me. My guys barely do damage but get whomped pretty hard back.

I might be too conservative with all my stat items and stuff... but I'm saving that for the avatar's child.

Also I'm happy with my Fredrick and Panne... one of the few couples that seem to actually work and not all of a sudden decide to get married.

Aexact

Is the difficulty of paralogue chapters based on their chapter #? The enemies in them seem way more powerful than the story chapter I'm currently on.

Paralogue 6 (Olivia's kid) was the hardest one for me but that might be because I had no dedicated anti-air. The merchant on this shop sells Second Seals so I really wanted to beat it but oh man, surviving that initial aerial onslaught.

Paralogue 7 (Maribelle's kid), I went a little nuts trying to save all the villagers which made the whole thing harder then it had to be (fyi should've just let them die, that Fortify staff is not worth the terrible stress). I thought Longbows were supposed to be inaccurate!

Paralogue 14 (Miriel's kid), the reinforcements overwhelmed me. They just keep coming, I can't deal with this (I did deal with this).

Other then that, I felt the other kid Paralogues were your average, run of the mill difficulty spikes.

Cythia, Sumia's kid's chapter was a real pain. My guys were freshly promoted and I only survived because I rushed CordeliaxLon'qu to off the boss before he could recruit the mercenaries and he ran off after only recruiting just one.

Hrm.

Well I'm on chapter 13-14 story wise.... and some of these children paralogues are beating the crap outta me. My guys barely do damage but get whomped pretty hard back.

I might be too conservative with all my stat items and stuff... but I'm saving that for the avatar's child.

Also I'm happy with my Fredrick and Panne... one of the few couples that seem to actually work and not all of a sudden decide to get married.

I just did the one for Nah, Paralogue 16, and it was rough, even with a large team of high-level characters. It required a shit-ton of strategy and pairing the right people together.

You people need to use Rescue more often, it's really useful.

Rescue is my MVP staff for Lunatic.

The past several chapters, I've really been falling into the trap where my top characters are the only ones that can survive constant battles or being put out in the open.

And Lunatic rushes you with so many powerful enemies that the rest of my characters have to sit safely in the back before they can creep up and steal a few kills. Of course this means that the same characters keep soaking up EXP and it becomes an endless cycle as other characters fall further behind.

Rescue is one of the ways I can put a lower unit out into danger to get a kill and then immediately pull them back. It's been really helpful.

mercviper

Rescue is my MVP staff for Lunatic.

The past several chapters, I've really been falling into the trap where my top characters are the only ones that can survive constant battles or being put out in the open.

And Lunatic rushes you with so many powerful enemies that the rest of my characters have to sit safely in the back before they can creep up and steal a few kills. Of course this means that the same characters keep soaking up EXP and it becomes an endless cycle as other characters fall further behind.

Rescue is one of the ways I can put a lower unit out into danger to get a kill and then immediately pull them back. It's been really helpful.

Yeah, I'm starting to abuse it a lot more now that I actually have money and can buy the staff. Right now I'm trying to do paralogue 18 by repositioning Tiki against the wall and then using 5 paired units to prevent her from getting hit by ranged attacks. The problem is I only have 3 solid pairs that can withstand repeated abuse so I think I'm going to have to come back later when I get a 4th or 5th pair up and running for the onslaught

Yeah, I'm starting to abuse it a lot more now that I actually have money and can buy the staff. Right now I'm trying to do paralogue 18 by repositioning Tiki against the wall and then using 5 paired units to prevent her from getting hit by ranged attacks. The problem is I only have 3 solid pairs that can withstand repeated abuse so I think I'm going to have to come back later when I get a 4th or 5th pair up and running for the onslaught

So the paralogues stay on the world map indefinitely? That's good to know.

NIN90

So uh as an EU citizen, getting the game from the US eShop isn't possible, right?
Because it's perfectly doable on PSN.

Booyah, got a Direct Message from the NOA Twitter account informing me I won a Fire Emblem Awakening artbook!

image.php

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Promoting Kellam to General was the catalyst for me clearing Ch. 12. I just plugged Kellam and Cherche in the middle chokepoint, made sure Kellam got the Beast Killer, and watched them massacre anyone who was stupid enough to attack. I feel bad for not waiting until level 20 before promoting characters, but dammit if those instant stat boosts aren't useful.

On a side note, Ricken/Miriel gives me mixed feelings. Paired in battle they're like a single supermage, but them being married just feels wrong.

Fuck it! I'm on Chapter 9 and I can't win without killing a few of my people. I'm convinced that I lost people from previous chapters that I shouldn't have (I only have one healer). Starting a new game on Normal. Should have never started on hard being a newbie to the SRPG genre.

Ferrio

Banned
Promoting Kellam to General was the catalyst for me clearing Ch. 12. I just plugged Kellam and Cherche in the middle chokepoint, made sure Kellam got the Beast Killer, and watched them massacre anyone who was stupid enough to attack. I feel bad for not waiting until level 20 before promoting characters, but dammit if those instant stat boosts aren't useful.

On a side note, Ricken/Miriel gives me mixed feelings. Paired in battle they're like a single supermage, but them being married just feels wrong.

What does she do... study his prepubescent body?

I have Miriel and Virion on the fast track to marriage. Probably not a good idea though.

I also have Sully and Vaike doing the same thing... you'd think they'd make a beast of a child.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
What does she do... study his prepubescent body?
The actual S support conversation made it seem like it was a strictly professional marriage. But since they're going to have a kid later, I get the feeling one of their experiments goes too far. So you're probably not too far off base.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Welp, lost Virion. I'm around chapter 9 and he is my only archer...is that bad? I feel like I am screwing up constantly, a big portion of my potential party are still level 1-4 while everyone else is around 15, I'm neglecting so many people.

Nose Master

Never shoulda showed my gf the relationship aspect of this game. I've barely touched it in about two weeks. Meanwhile, she's S ranked everyone who has kids and is just past chapter 13.

SaberVulcan

Fuck it! I'm on Chapter 9 and I can't win without killing a few of my people. I'm convinced that I lost people from previous chapters that I shouldn't have (I only have one healer). Starting a new game on Normal. Should have never started on hard being a newbie to the SRPG genre.

You only get 1 healer for a very long time. If you are having issues, I recommend pressing X to see the threat-grid.

Ferrio

Banned
So far my best pairings (context wise) seem to be
-Frederick and Panne, and Virion and Olivia.

Worst was Donnel and Sully. Sully was pretty much like "Well... I got nothing to lose I guess..."

Oh Tharja and Libra was pretty sweet too.

Welp, lost Virion. I'm around chapter 9 and he is my only archer...is that bad? I feel like I am screwing up constantly, a big portion of my potential party are still level 1-4 while everyone else is around 15, I'm neglecting so many people.
Nah, you don't need him. You might want to try doing some early Risen challenges to help bring the rest of your party up, though.

NeonZ

Huh... The Missiletain can be forged.

It was an unique weapon in spite of its low stats, so I had always assumed that it couldn't be improved, but it apparently has a price, so it can be forged like any standard weapon.

You shouldn't try to level up more characters than you can deploy at once. Focusing on a small group of 8-12 units is the correct way to go in most Fire Emblems. Here, there's the possibility of grinding to allow the others to follow the main party, but that's just a way to not end up in a "dead end" situation, and doesn't really change the overall logic.

Yeah, that's not healthy at all. Bring your low level characters to a decent level as soon as you can or they'll be left behind permanently.

Draxal

Huh... The Missiletain can be forged.

It was an unique weapon in spite of its low stats, so I had always assumed that it couldn't be improved, but it apparently has a price, so it can be forged like any standard weapon.

You shouldn't try to level up more characters than you can deploy at once. Focusing on a small group of 8-12 units is the correct way to go in most Fire Emblems. Here, there's the possibility of grinding to allow the others to follow the main party, but that's just a way to not end up in a "dead end" situation, and doesn't really change the overall logic.

Ayup, basically you want to have a core of 8-16 characters. IIRC, 16's the max amount you need for the last stage (in all honesty I just used around 12 and pretty much benched 4 there).

ohlawd

Ayup, basically you want to have a core of 8-16 characters. IIRC, 16's the max amount you need for the last stage (in all honesty I just used around 12 and pretty much benched 4 there).

the way I handled it, I paired up my best guys with my most mobile units and went HAM.
Brought 6 units there.

Owain is an awesome character

My sword hand twitches for his Sacred Stones.

GeekyDad

I really don't get why so many folks feel they need to start on Hard when it's their first entry into the series. You're not going to get branded with a scarlet letter. Baby steps, man. Learn the mechanics, have fun, then try your hand at the harder difficulties. Folks are going to sour themselves on Fire Emblem if they insist on banging their heads on a brick wall.

That being said, I still recommend newcomers play in the Classic mode. It will encourage the type of tactics Fire Emblem was designed around.

Draxal

So how do I equip the sol skill I got from the boss? Can't find it in anyone's inventory

If you're talking about the sol sword. It should of been sent to the convoy if that character's equipment is full. You can't actually equip the skill, the weapon just triggers it like if you had the sol skill normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom