• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started this up, couple of questions.

Should I always pair?

Is it just me or does this game drain battery, I just purchased a 3ds XL (used), I play with 3d around halfway.

Maybe they ran out of time to add supports for the later characters? There are quite a few glaring omissions as mentioned above.
The do have some DLC specific conversations in the second series of maps, but I wish they would of had more actual support conversations. But the amount of supports in this game is already enormous, so I'm not surprised they didn't include more, but it would of made the game even better.

Drago

Wow! That looks fantastic! Thanks!

I'll see what I can do and if it is workable for her. :)
:O

I would totally buy a decal if it looked exactly like the official one, instead of having the inaccuracies seen on the one on Etsy right now.

Verelios

Just started this up, couple of questions.

Should I always pair?

Is it just me or does this game drain battery, I just purchased a 3ds XL (used), I play with 3d around halfway.

Well, usually I pair up, but it's useful to look at the stat boosts provided by different pairings. Say, if I want more strength or more MAG, I go with someone who would boost that.

But I don't do it for everyone, because it's easy to forget to level the second paired person. If you're comfortable with switch playing (switching the controlled character at times to the second pair), then sure, it's no problem.

Quick newbie FE question:

Just started playing and am really liking the game.

With my magic using characters-for one of them I forged a more damaging spell. Do these spells run out? I've noticed in the numbers it was initially 45/45, now it's like 10/45, what does this mean? How do I get more spells/refill spells? Do weapons take dmg over time?

How do I get my healer to do more power heals? She's leveling up but still healing others for just 10HP. What's going on?

What does the first stat on weapons mean (MTN I think that's it)?

Thanks in advance as I know these are really beginner type questions.

Quick newbie FE question:

Just started playing and am really liking the game.

With my magic using characters-for one of them I forged a more damaging spell. Do these spells run out? I've noticed in the numbers it was initially 45/45, now it's like 10/45, what does this mean? How do I get more spells/refill spells? Do weapons take dmg over time?

How do I get my healer to do more power heals? She's leveling up but still healing others for just 10HP. What's going on?

Thanks in advance as I know these are really beginner type questions.
Most weapons have a finite amount of uses. Once it reaches zero, the weapon breaks. You get more from shops, killing enemies, opening treasure and from random barracks/sparkly tile events.

To perform more powerful heals, you need to increase the characters weapon level for staves and then get more powerful healing equipment. (Certain skills boost healing too.)

Mt = might, ie. the amount of damage your weapon does. (Add that to the character's strength for the total attack.)

TWILT

Banned
Once that number drops to 0, the weapon/item/tome breaks and you can't use it anymore. You'll have to buy new ones in the game.

As your healer (known as Cleric in this game) levels up, she'll heal better and start getting abilities that increase how much HP she restores (she can heal an additional +5 HP once she reaches level 10 IIRC.) You'll also have to buy better healing staffs that heal better.

Might. Basically determines how strong/how much damage your weapon can do.

EDIT: Beaten.

To perform more powerful heals, you need to increase the characters weapon level for staves and then get more powerful healing equipment.

Mt = might, ie. the amount of damage your doing.

TYVM!!! Very helpful...

So how do I get the character's stave level to increase? Is that different than character level? When I heal now I just use the "staff" then "heal" option.

NeonZ

Maybe they ran out of time to add supports for the later characters? There are quite a few glaring omissions as mentioned above.

If you look at the characters who do have extensive support lists, most of their options are opposite gender pairings, differently from previous games. It's pretty clear that they focused mostly on the actual pairing conversations in general, due to their gameplay importance.

Also, IIRC, there were multiple writers just handling the support conversations in the original, which suggests that there was some kind of time limit involved.

So how do I get the character's stave level to increase? Is that different than character level? When I heal now I just use the "staff" then "heal" option.
To raise any weapon level, just keep using the weapon. So in this case, you need to keep using staves to increase the weapon level.

Weapon levels determine what kind of weapons a character can equip. E being the worst, all the way up to the best, A.

ohlawd

TYVM!!! Very helpful...

anything that requires a staff (Heal, Rescue, Ward, Mend, etc) levels up your staff level as you use them. Eventually they'll reach D rank, C and so on up to A.

Thank you all very much...Very helpful..

Also another beginner question..

I started playing the game on "casual" and "classic", meaning I can lose units forever which I really like. Was this a bad choice though?

Am I gimping myself in the future by doing this, or is it really just a choice and I'll have an opportunity to pick up new units without issue?

TYVM!!! Very helpful...

Underneath your characters weapon icon (bottom left-hand corner) is a bar. It fills up with experience as your character uses the weapon/tome/stave/etc. Weapon levels go E > D > C > B > A > S > SS (not sure if SS level is in this Fire Emblem yet) and it's totally independent of character level. Though a promotion typically boost weapon level to a new baseline if you haven't reached it yet and adds a new weapon type for the unit to use.

So for just keep using that stave and the stave level will increase.

EDIT: oh lawd, someone beat me to it.

I started playing the game on "casual" and "classic", meaning I can lose units forever which I really like. Was this a bad choice though?

Am I gimping myself in the future by doing this, or is it really just a choice and I'll have an opportunity to pick up new units without issue?
I'm assuming you mean you're playing on Classic, not Casual. As for being a "bad" choice, that all depends on how you want to play.

Most FE fans play Classic because permadeath is a staple of the series. Also, many people reset when they lose a character, so it's really up to you.

If you want to play through the game living with the consequences of losing units, that is a perfectly valid way to play, since you won't be wanting for units in this game, (there are a lot) but it can back you into a corner if you kill too many characters and you don't have enough viable units to finish the harder maps.

I personally restart a map if I lose a character because I like to have everyone alive and leave all my options open. It also adds another layer of gameplay since you essentially have to be "perfect" on every map, something that is a common goal among the fan base. (ie. If someone dies, I have to restart the whole map and try again with a new strategy.)

But if you don't want to be bothered with any of that, Casual would probably be a better choice, though it does reduce the difficulty of the game significantly.

I'm assuming you mean you're playing on Classic, not Casual. As for being a "bad" choice, that all depends on how you want to play.

Most FE fans play Classic because permadeath is a staple of the series. Also, many people reset when they lose a character, so it's really up to you.

If you want to play through the game living with the consequences of losing units, that is a perfectly valid way to play, since you won't be wanting for units in this game, (there are a lot) but it can back you into a corner if you kill too many characters and you don't have enough viable units to finish the harder maps.

I personally restart a map if I lose a character because I like to have everyone alive and leave all my options open. It also adds another layer of gameplay since you essentially have to be "perfect" on every map, something that is a common goal among the fan base. (ie. If someone dies, I have to restart the whole map and try again with a new strategy.)

But if you don't want to be bothered with any of that, Casual would probably be a better choice, though it does reduce the difficulty of the game significantly.

Thanks again! Yeah, it's just classic I'm playing on. Good to know units won't be in short supply. I'm only about 5 hours in and the battles haven't been too tough, or really tough at all.

Play Classic. It raises the drama, tension, and stakes of every move. The game becomes insanely addictive and forces you to be strategic and tactical in this strategy and tactics game. Gameplay takes a foreground as every move counts and mistakes echo through your campaign.

GeekyDad

I can't remember if this ever happened in any earlier Fire Emblem game, but I sure love how when you enter into a battle, the map music continues but it seamlessly changes to a battley version of it. It actually gave me goosebumps when I was doing a reeking box battle just now.

Yeah, man. It's little things like that that make this game so impressive. Usually you get completely different themes that can change kind of abruptly.

Endgame question:

After the credits roll there's a message that says you can pass on your file to a new game(or something like that) but I don't see an option for it. How do you do this?

TYVM!!! Very helpful...

Tip: Heal at every opportunity to in order to get your staff rank and unit level up. Someone gets +1 HP in a level up? Heal that 1 HP.

Cheska

Is anyone else considering ordering the 5 disc OST? It comes out to around $60 after shipping but it's sooo tempting. The music in this game is brilliant!

Jarate

Banned
6ff532fe5b422b3d0a89eda1cbe642de_zpse8bc9a9a.jpg

zroid

Banned
Is anyone else considering ordering the 5 disc OST? It comes out to around $60 after shipping but it's sooo tempting. The music in this game is brilliant!

dat cover art

Man, Japan got a Club Nintendo mini-soundtrack for this game too. Why the hell doesn't NOA give us more soundtracks? I mean, jesus, pressing CDs must be among the cheapest items to manufacture and they surely have higher demand than the rest of the garbage offered. It's such a goddamn shame.

Chrom

I'd be willing to, but I think I'm fine with just waiting for someone to share its contents. I'm particularly interested in the piano score that's supposed to come with it.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu

Already have mine ordered.

Might as well post this since we're sharing images. From a comic panel in the Knights of Iris art book.

Just killed Yen'fay with Say'ri seemed appropiate as using Chrom to kill Gangrel, not really sure who I should use against Walhart though.

I honestly might just so that I have another good video game soundtrack to go along with my Skyward Sword and Dead Rising 2 OST.

Cheska

Okay good to know I won't be the only one. I would love the order the artbook as well but I have a feeling that we may actually see that stateside with how well the game appears to be selling.

womp

:O

I would totally buy a decal if it looked exactly like the official one, instead of having the inaccuracies seen on the one on Etsy right now.

Yeah, my sister has her own little online craft store outside Etsy. She is going to work on trying to do something with that official one for me and if it works out I will do a 'proof of concept' to see how it looks. She said she could probably do a small batch of them for 'some buddies of mine' if they were interested and it certainly wouldn't be close to costing what they sell for on Etsy either.

I totally dig that logo.

Venfayth

Yeah, my sister has her own little online craft store outside Etsy. She is going to work on trying to do something with that official one for me and if it works out I will do a 'proof of concept' to see how it looks. She said she could probably do a small batch of them for 'some buddies of mine' if they were interested and it certainly wouldn't be close to costing what they sell for on Etsy either.

Completely OT, but I approve of your name. Womp.

Okay good to know I won't be the only one. I would love the order the artbook as well but I have a feeling that we may actually see that stateside with how well the game appears to be selling.
That's how I feel too. We've been getting a lot of art books translated lately, and I think this would be high on the priority list for companies that are currently doing that.

ptown

I got a couple of questions here (I've never finished a Fire Emblem). Mainly, they're all about leveling up and class changes (using class changing/promotion items).

-Is this correct: A master seal will allow a unit to choose an advanced class (allowing promotion of a basic class) and a second seal allows a unit to choose a basic class (allowing... uh demotion... of an advanced class)?

-One of my units (a dark mage) has reached level 20 and it's saying max now. I know if I use a master seal, I promote the unit to an advanced class and the level will reset to 1. Is this essentially a level 21 unit after the class promotion?

-If an advanced class unit reaches level 20, does it reach max? And could I use a master seal/second seal to reset the level back to 1 to allow further leveling up and increase stats?
If so, is there a maximum level a character can reach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom