• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

In fairness, this is to be expected regardless of their pattern.

The retention rate is going to be incredibly low with this pattern. American market is not the Japanese market. If they had all the spot pass/ dlc done in a 2 month period it would capture more before fading away.

GeekyDad

Yeah, a bit of an exaggeration, though I do understand why people (myself included) would be frustrated with the timing. They were in development back then, right? I think someone mentioned that the DLC was localized as well, so there's no reason to release them at a slower pace.

They could be trying to steady out the hype factor of the game by keeping early adopters around to maintain the buzz.

TDLink

The DLC has been low quality and poor value, and I was fine with that if it was being released regularly. But I've already beaten this game twice, I'm not going to be playing it anymore by the time this content is out.

I haven't bought all the DLC but I have enjoyed what I have. I also know for a fact that later DLCs (thanks to reading up on it from the JPN release) are a bit more substantial than these early ones.

Probably. It took an hour or so for
Gangrel
's map to pop up.

I don't think it was intentional. It just seems like a mistake on their part, but it did happen obviously.

I hope it was an accident, I don't want to support early access for pre-ordering DLC. Just not a fan of punishing people who don't pre-order.

Ferrio

Banned
Multiple playthroughs.

Too many games :|

I'd bring up some other characters from my roster... but they'd get squashed currently.

edit:

Also I have the WORST luck for the children chapters.

I was on the chapter that you get Sumia's daughter. Sumia's daughter attacks her own mother, misses horribly and her mother proceeds to kill her.

My Avatar, Panne (wife), Morgan (Daughter), and Yarne (Son) are all Assassins now. Having Lethality, and Astra is a devistating combo. Especially with a killer edge. Crit Astra destroys just about everything.

Wait until you fight the high Def-Res streetpass character with counter, swordbreaker, bowbreaker, pavice skill and equipped with Superior Sword lol

I haven't bought all the DLC but I have enjoyed what I have. I also know for a fact that later DLCs (thanks to reading up on it from the JPN release) are a bit more substantial than these early ones.
You've enjoyed reused maps, story, very poor caricatures of old heroes, barebones references to past games and/or cheat codes?

Chrom

I paid for it several weeks ago, Nintendo granted access to it last week. Saying they didn't release it is just silly semantics.

It isn't when you consider that they didn't actually put it up for purchase like people were expecting last week. That's what I mean when I say they didn't release it.

The press release from last week had it listed as a standard release though. I think most people were assuming that it not being listed individually was just a mistake.

Nintendo released no press release last week that mentioned anything about Fire Emblem DLC. If you're talking about the one that was in the Nintendo Download thread here on GAF, I do believe Brazil only put it up there because I said it was, and I was of course mistaken because it wasn't.

Mr. Fix

I hope it was an accident, I don't want to support early access for pre-ordering DLC. Just not a fan of punishing people who don't pre-order.

Multiple playthroughs.

Yep. I ended up using Henry and Miriel on my second run, and it felt so good.

On my current playthrough, Virion only gained 2 STR and he's at level 20 now. I wanna give him the boot but I just can't not use him.

At the very least, it wouldn't be their intention. Though it'd be funny if it happens again somewhere down the road.

58 hours in, haven't finished the game once. I regret nothing!

:lol This ended up happening to a lot of others as well.

TDLink

You've enjoyed reused maps, story, very poor caricatures of old heroes, barebones references to past games and/or cheat codes?

Like I said, I haven't bought all of it. Of the few I have bought I enjoyed them though because I enjoy this game immensely. And I know there are better DLC down the road.

Kyzon

Wait until you fight the high Def-Res streetpass character with counter, swordbreaker, bowbreaker, pavice skill and equipped with Superior Sword lol

I either die, or use my team of former Manaketes who are now Valkarie... and Tharja who is just a beast. XD

PISAOPb.jpg

Worst character in the series

NeonZ

Quite overdramatic there, no? The maps with similar story that you're complaining about haven't even been released yet. And "Very poor caricatures of old heroes"? The dialogue has been good, especially the character specific conversations that each character gets. Or are you just "offended" that some got played up for humor? Even the "cheat codes" maps also have exclusive battle conversations for each Awakening character which can be rather amusing at times.

Of course, I'm talking here from the point of view of someone who has tried to get all characters specific convos in all DLC out so far, I guess if you don't care for that their value does take a hit. The reused maps for the character DLC sets are cheap though (none of the other sets do that), but the 6$ per pack price is fair enough to me.

Chrom

The retention rate is going to be incredibly low with this pattern. American market is not the Japanese market. If they had all the spot pass/ dlc done in a 2 month period it would capture more before fading away.

That may be true, but as GeekyDad mentioned, it's possible they're intentionally spreading out the DLC like this because they want to keep interest in the DLC steady for a longer period of time rather than going all out in a shorter one, and I think that ought to prove to be more effective.

Keep in mind that the Japanese DLC saw multiple breaks (for multiple weeks sometimes) and the DLC lasted for like eight months. Right now we're getting DLC at a much more accelerated rate and it's unrealistic for us to have any actual breaks, so I'd guess DLC would be done by the summer if they continue to sell us at least one map a week.

Quite overdramatic there, no? The maps with similar story that you're complaining about haven't even been released yet. And "Very poor caricatures of old heroes"? The dialogue has been good, especially the character specific conversations that each character gets. Or are you just "offended" that some got played up for humor? Even the "cheat codes" maps also have exclusive battle conversations for each Awakening character which can be rather amusing at times. The reused maps for the character DLC sets are cheap though (none of the other sets do that), but the 6$ per pack price is fair enough to me.
All of the Champions of Yore have the same story. They're very poor as in they barely resemble their original designs. The good dialogue while nice at times like Hubba mocking Eirika's naivete is few and far between and you have no way of telling which characters will all be able to have conversation with someone unless you bring them on to the map. I think I maybe chuckled at Ephraim calling Severa a wench, but that was pretty out of character for him and some of the writing is just dumb like Ike and Lucina's conversation in Roy's map. I appreciated the cheat code map dialogue the first time but after the tenth or so time, I just want an item that'll level me up instead of having to listen to Noire and everyone else screaming again about monsters eating vegetables.

I'm not even really mad. Just maybe a little bit.

Can I get some advice in regard to pairing up? It's a feature I've definitely been under-utilizing, so I'm wondering when it's best to combine units and to leave the separate. It was extremely useful on Chapter 5 because it gave me less people to worry about healing.

edit: Eirika sells some rad stuff--should I buy it? I'm only on Chapter 6 and I have 7640G. I'm considering A Steel Sword, Eirika's BLade, and a Silver Lance.

Wilsongt

Totally ready to get Genealogy characters.

Also, started a new playthrough on Normal/Casual as well as Hard/Casual... and a new playthrough on FE7. ._.

Hm, got Caeda for today's SpotPass team.

Gotta say, Radiant Dawn was pretty bad in terms of making those SpotPass teams with nameless references to other characters.

Definitely disappointed that Caeda's team doesn't contain all the characters she recruits in the game.

I'm fine with a weekly download schedule, but for fuck sakes, do them sequentially.

The Champions of Yore pack had one episode a week, back-to-back. Now, they're releasing things out of order. We've had Bloodlines 1, then EXPonential Growth. What?

vctor182

Is there a way I can choose which skills are passed down to the children? Example: I made Lissa and Olivia get Galeforce, Owain inherited it but Inigo did not. Seems a hassle getting Galeforce to all the moms and it's not guaranteed that their children will inherit it.

Rarutos

Is there a way I can choose which skills are passed down to the children? Example: I made Lissa and Olivia get Galeforce, Owain inherited it but Inigo did not. Seems a hassle getting Galeforce to all the moms and it's not guaranteed that their children will inherit it.

It has to be their last skill listed.

It's the last skill listed, so just rearrange them to get what skills you want.

Roto13

Children get the bottom skill on each parent's list when you start the paralogue.

I feel bad for forgetting who Linde was until I saw her portrait.

Her, Caeda, Catria, Julian, Ogma, Barst, and Palla were my only good units during my first playthrough in Shadow Dragon.

NeonZ

Gotta say, Radiant Dawn was pretty bad in terms of making those SpotPass teams with nameless references to other characters.

It's really weird how not even Micaiah got one. I think Radiant Dawn was one of the last spotpass teams released in Japan though, so maybe that had something to do with it, assuming that the teams themselves weren't "on cart".

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Damn, guess I'm stuck with Grandmaster for a week since I already got all the skills I wanted from other classes. Got Caeda =)

Roto13

The update unlocked Micaiah as a SpotPass team. I wonder if there's someone out there who bought the DLC for her and got the ugly-ass moe shit version, not knowing they could get the non-shit version for free. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom