• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I realize now that Awakening upholds the proud Fire Emblem tradition of everyone's fathers dying. Because all the children came back because all of their parents died. Can you think of any fathers in Fire Emblem that don't end up dead? I can only think of three, and they are units that no one cares about.

Garcia, Ross's dad, FE8
Dayan, Sue's dad, FE6
Bartre, Fir's dad, FE6

Nothing makes me cry more then 3 25% hits in a row to kill my character late in a battle ;-;
What's even worse for me is playing a battle for about an hour and then losing a character to an enemy with the counter skill right before taking out the boss. It happened to me last night and I just had to turn it off and stop for the night.

I know it's my fault but it's just so rare to see that skill in hard that I can't help but forget about it.

Aexact

Ah, I realize now that Awakening upholds the proud Fire Emblem tradition of everyone's fathers dying. Because all the children came back because all of their parents died. Can you think of any fathers in Fire Emblem that don't end up dead? I can only think of three, and they are units that no one cares about.

Garcia, Ross's dad, FE8
Dayan, Sue's dad, FE6
Bartre, Fir's dad, FE6

Eliwood didn't die and while he might not be anyone's favorite lord, he's still a main.

He's just really sick at the end.

He gets better! He was never in real risk of death in the game anyway. Just too sick or unwell to lead the charge.

Garcia, Ross's dad, FE8
Dayan, Sue's dad, FE6
Bartre, Fir's dad, FE6

Also, to add onto this topic:

FE4: If you paired Finn up with someone in first gen, he can be around for the second gen.
FE5: Dagda's Tania father and you get them both at the same time.
FE5: Depending on your favorite pairing, you can always believe Finn to be Nanna's and Delmund's dad.

Moonlight

Banned
Worst character in the series
ZExwYnm.png

hao chi

Has anyone found a quick command for turning battle animations off? I accidentally turned them off when I was trying to do a soft reset during the enemy's turn, and haven't been able to find out how I did it in the first place.

Finished Chapter 21
Said "No" when Lucina pointed her sword at me and asked the question.

Was fully prepared to Nosferatu her to death until Chrom interrupted us.

Moonlight

Banned
Has anyone found a quick command for turning battle animations off? I accidentally turned them off when I was trying to do a soft reset during the enemy's turn, and haven't been able to find out how I did it in the first place.
Go to an empty space on the map, hit A, go to Options, disable battle animations in the menu.

hao chi

Finished Chapter 21
Said "No" when Lucina pointed her sword at me and asked the question.

Was fully prepared to Nosferatu her to death until Chrom interrupted us.

I'm doing my second playthrough as a female avatar and going to marry Chrom primarily so I can see how that scene plays out if you're Lucina's mother.

hao chi

Go to an empty space on the map, hit A, go to Options, disable battle animations in the menu.

I know you can do it that way, but this was just a button combination for turning them off similar to the quick reset (at least, I don't think I'm going crazy and went to the menu without realizing it).

I'm not even trying to turn them off again, I'm just curious how I did it in the first place. Maybe I'll mess around more with it later if nobody knows how to do it.

ohlawd

I know you can do it that way, but this was just a button combination for turning them off similar to the quick reset (at least, I don't think I'm going crazy and went to the menu without realizing it).

I'm not even trying to turn them off again, I'm just curious how I did it in the first place. Maybe I'll mess around more with it later if nobody knows how to do it.

drugs, that's what happened.

... I think you just pressed Start during the battle phase. That skips the animation and everything.

Wow I feel dumb I kept hitting the home button lol

No need to press Select. It's just L+R+Start.

hao chi

... I think you just pressed Start during the battle phase. That skips the animation and everything.

I know about that. It wasn't going to the battle screen like it normally does. The battle animations were definitely turned off.

Edit: I should add that during attacks it was just the characters on the map, and they would kind of slide a bit while attacking (same as FE7, Path of Radiance, and probably every other FE when you have battle animations turned off).

Soulhouf

Champions of Yore 1 - Prince Marth
Champions of Yore 2 - Roy
Champions of Yore 3 - Micaiah, All Stats +2
Lost Bloodlines 1 - Leif
Lost Bloodlines 2 - Alm, Dread Scroll (Dread Fighter)
Lost Bloodlines 3 - Seliph, Paragon
Smash Brethren 1 - Elincia
Smash Brethren 2 - Eirika, Wedding Bouquet (Bride)
Smash Brethren 3 - Lyn, Iote's Shield
Rogues and Redeemers 1 - Ephraim
Rogues and Redeemers 2 - Celica
Rogues and Redeemers 3 - Ike, Limit Break
The Golden Gaffe - Gold
EXPonential Growth - Experience
Infinite Regalia - Weapons, Eltshan, Silver Card

The second series is Japan-only at the moment, episode names subject to change:

Border Between Life and Death - Est
The Five Annas - Catria
Labyrinth Pursuit - Palla
The Strongest One's Name - Katarina

The remaining six don't offer anything tangible other than character/story development.

I'm only interested in :

and eventually:

from the first series.

Javier

He gets better! He was never in real risk of death in the game anyway. Just too sick or unwell to lead the charge.

Also, to add onto this topic:

FE4: If you paired Finn up with someone in first gen, he can be around for the second gen.
FE5: Dagda's Tania father and you get them both at the same time.
FE5: Depending on your favorite pairing, you can always believe Finn to be Nanna's and Delmund's dad.
Also, don't forget Brom and Meg.

Chrom

You can literally just hold down L if you want to skip any battle animations.

I thought Finn stuck around for second gen regardless if he was paired or not?

Chrom

Oh yes, but he won't be someone's dad if you didn't pair him up. :p

Oh, I forgot that detail.

Yeah, pretty much every dad dies outside of the ones mentioned. Also, Orsin in FE5 lived with his dad and he even shows up in Chapter 1. He never dies in the story as far as I know.

"Stupid kid. I've never heard of someone forgetting his weapons to a battle."

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Starting to recruit the kids, or at least the easy ones. Some maps would slaughter my current team, but others are very manageable. I think I finally got all the mothers married (minus Maribelle who died), so now I can finally stop worrying so much about supports. I'll grind them out on a Normal/Casual run.

While I wound up pairing Lissa with the Vaike because I often hid her behind him in the early game, the Vaike makes perfect sense as Owain's dad. Sucks that the father/child supports are pretty generic, because I can only imagine the conversations those two would have.

Draxal

I'm only interested in :

and eventually:

from the first series.

You'd want the bride class too, rally love + rally spectrum + rally str/magic/skill/speed stacks.

You're crazy. Fin x Tiltyu is BOSS.

Eww why would you want to hurt Arthur like that? Also considering they share whopping one chapter together it's almost impossible to pull off. This isn't like Chrom x Olivia which is a pain but produces two powerful children. Might as well do Lex instead and give Arthur elite. Azel or Levin are the best choices for Tiltyu.

How does everyone decide to pair off their units?

Just from possible skills or because or personalities/ relationship convos?

I have been holding off on going Chapter 13 so that I could get everyone to a S rank with someone ... went on a pairing bender yesterday. Not too happy with most S ranked convos though :/

Paired Gregor with Tharja because I liked the contrast in their personalities and now I'm thinking that's a mistake. Gregor's awesome and I can see him having fun convos with any female unit and maybe I should have waited for the Henry guy for Tharja because he seems interesting from what I have read about him. Didn't realize how obsessed Cordelia is with Chrom before pairing him with MU. Chrom and MU convos were pretty lame ...

Ones I'm most happy with are Panna/ Lon'qu (Both are loners with problems so that was interesting) and Olivia/ Gaius.

Gonna try to find more interesting pairings in my next play through.

johnsmith

remember me
How does everyone decide to pair off their units?

Just from possible skills or because or personalities/ relationship convos?

I developed a eugenics program designed to give me the maximum amount of super galeforce babies. I now have more of them than I can realistically use in battle. But MU married Tharja because how could I not? She is crazy and awesome. (Also I wanted Noire to get galeforce)

Javier

Eww why would you want to hurt Arthur like that? Also considering they share whopping one chapter together it's almost impossible to pull off.
Prayer + Wrath + Pursuit. Thanks to that they're incredibly easy to train since they breeze through the arena.

And it's not hard at all to pull off. I've done it. Since they only share one map their love growths are crazy high, so you need to only hurry with the first two seizes and after Tiltyu shows up they only need around 15 turns of adjacents to fall in love. The only thing about this pairing is that it can't be done on a ranked run.

Here's how Arthur and Tinny ended up the time I did Fin x Tiltyu.

B1id0cb.png
Gl2zbLs.png

Not bad. Their Magic stat doesn't end up as good as with Azel or Lev- Lewyn, but they were great support units.

Eww why would you want to hurt Arthur like that? Also considering they share whopping one chapter together it's almost impossible to pull off. This isn't like Chrom x Olivia which is a pain but produces two powerful children. Might as well do Lex instead and give Arthur elite. Azel or Levin are the best choices for Tiltyu.

Fin makes the kids dodge like crazy. The problem is he can't pass down weapons, unless he got it from killing a boss. Otherwise he's not that different than pairing her with Azel. Ok, less magic too.

How does everyone decide to pair off their units?.

I matched personalities. Or, more specifically, I tried to set up the couples I thought were most realistic. I wasn't going to bother min/maxing the first playthrough, and I wouldn't have had the stomach for setting up any female characters I liked with Ricken anyway.

I would like it if they smoothed out the battles animations for the next game. I don't mind when the characters flourish and stuff for fighting bosses/plot important enemies but when there are a lot of enemies on a map, watching people stare at each other for 5 seconds (exaggeration) before attacking starts to grate on me. Manakete transformation also compounds this.

They could at least add an option for more streamlined battle animations, so you could have 3 options instead of the current two.

I had an idea where battle animations could start with the attacker running at the defender or something (taking aim for ranged attackers), and it would be in relation to the direction they attacked from, so if 3 enemies attacked one person in a turn, each attack could be shown as them coming from different directions, and the previous attackers if alive could be shown in the animation sizing up the defender or something or on the ground if defeated. Same would apply for allies attacking the same enemy.

But then I don't work for IS, so who cares? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom