• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roto13

We're in Community now? I've been posting in this thread for way too long.

Also I got this game early and I'm still playing it so that's fucking awesome.

ohlawd

that reminds me and I wish I did this sooner.

Activity Log Hours!

As of this post I have:
Play Time: 222:09
Times Played: 74
Average Play Time: 3:00

Most likely.

Nice.

Hopefully there's some new blood that'll trickle in here until that time.

Oh cool, community. Now I can look through less topics for this one!

Game stats:

Play time: 77:20
Times Played: 118
Average Play Time: 0:39

You need a power unit with nosferatu. Alone (well, paired up with Chrom).

If you're like me and you want to avoid abusing nosferatu, you probably need sol. That's what I did, anyway. I didn't grind at all, but my MU (and as a result, his kids) was overpowered due to him getting 50+% of all kills prior to endgame. The last chapters were literally just MU+Chrom and Morgan+Brother abusing sol + rallies while the enemies rushed to their deaths.

Without grinding on DLC, it's near impossible to use more than a handful of units on lunatic's late chapters because of the open maps you mentionned. The maps in this game are kinda boring, sadly.

Chapter 25 required that I had to rush the boss, but at least there was a strategy that worked. Endgame is giving me fits. This map is shite.

I'm not grinding at all either. Chapters/Paralogues only. And I'm not seeing any other strategy than the one you mentioned that can work. It's a shame because the difficulty balance in this game is so messed up.

TWILT

Banned

Same here lol.

that reminds me and I wish I did this sooner.

Activity Log Hours!

As of this post I have:
Play Time: 222:09
Times Played: 74
Average Play Time: 3:00

...Dammmnnn, and I thought -I- had a lot with 115:58. >_<

Play Time: 115:58
Times Played: 48
Average Play Time: 2:24

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
That's bound to happen when you hire the guy responsible for
i9jBRgtFXJJRR.jpg

...hn

I'm starting to wonder. Am I making a mistake trying to keep almost everyone near the same level? I've been doing some paralogues and have fought every Risen that has popped up on the map, and I'm still struggling with main quests. As a reference, I'm on Hard/Classic and at Ch. 16, and most non-children characters are promoted and between Lv. 3-5.

(Can't grind with Spotpass battles due to my wi-fi being out.)

you're already grinding on the risen, so it shouldn't be a problem. grinding kills any sort of balance this game might have had in its early phase. i don't grind and try to level most of my party. but i'm pretty much always dying on ambushes. always picking on weakass dancer who doesn't know how to dodge.

Okamid3n

Chapter 25 required that I had to rush the boss, but at least there was a strategy that worked. Endgame is giving me fits. This map is shite.

I'm not grinding at all either. Chapters/Paralogues only. And I'm not seeing any other strategy than the one you mentioned that can work. It's a shame because the difficulty balance in this game is so messed up.

I edited my post with another strategy if you're interested.

Anyhow...

Play Time: 124:59
Times Played: 140
Average Play Time: 0:53

(Still a long way to beat Kid Icarus' time total)

Edit : Oh wait, you said Endgame, as in the last chapter itself, not the ones leading to it. My bad.

Yeah, you probably need some clever use of rescue to two-turn the map, passing Chrom around as a pair-up and using brave weapons so Chrom gets more chance to do a dual strike. I passed Chrom around three times while using brave weapons so that Chrom got 12 chances to do a dual strike on the final boss. I also gave Chrom some stat boosters/temporary boosts since I had neglected him.

Can Chrom damage the end boss with a normal sword or only Falchion?

Okamid3n

Can Chrom damage the end boss with a normal sword or only Falchion?

Exalted Falchion
does massive damage, it's why I pass Chrom around. It's the best way to damage the final boss fast I'm pretty sure. I was doing 19 damage per hit with Falchion, but I really did throw all my stat boosts/temporary boosts his way...

Moonlight

Banned
Play Time: 151:54
Times Played: 168
Average Play Time: 0:52
First Played: 1/29/2012
Last Played: 2/28/2012

I keep meaning to do other things, but why do them when I have Fire Emblem?

Exalted Falchion
does massive damage, it's why I pass Chrom around. It's the best way to damage the final boss fast I'm pretty sure. I was doing 19 damage per hit with Falchion, but I really did throw all my stat boosts/temporary boosts his way...

Spoiler is what I meant. So you basically use Chrom only as a paired up character? Not sure I even have enough Rescue staffs to get to the boss fast enough, and play hot potato with Chrom. I was able to get 2 Aethers with Lucina and attack with Chrom and I still couldn't kill him before the massacre started. Ugh.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm trying to make the biggest StreetPass troll team possible. Anyone wanna give me suggestions? I know I want to put Counter on absolutely everyone I can for it, but I'm not sure what else I could do to make my team especially aggravating to deal with. Maybe forge up Killing Edges?

Okamid3n

Spoiler is what I meant. So you basically use Chrom only as a paired up character? Not sure I even have enough Rescue staffs to get to the boss fast enough, and play hot potato with Chrom. I was able to get 2 Aethers with Lucina and attack with Chrom and I still couldn't kill him before the massacre started. Ugh.

You can buy rescue staffs for rather cheap in one of the shops around chapter 9's. Not sure exactly where, sorry. Buy some strength potions and maybe forge a brave lance/sword/axe.

Pairing Chrom is better because the boss' halving-damage skill won't activate on the pair-up attack AND you get to attack more than twice per turn with the brave weapon. If you have an A-support, Chrom will have something like a 70-80% chance of initiating a support strike, so on average he'll attack more than twice per attacks. And you get to pass him around for more attacks on the same turn.

You really want to end this chapter fast, because there are tons of healers healing the boss...

...yeah.

I'm trying to make the biggest StreetPass troll team possible. Anyone wanna give me suggestions? I know I want to put Counter on absolutely everyone I can for it, but I'm not sure what else I could do to make my team especially aggravating to deal with. Maybe forge up Killing Edges?

Forged Avera's Night will make you near-unkillable with the self-healing. Also, a team of Lethality-users with really high skills can be pretty annoying on classic mode. Bonus point if said lethality-users are using a brave weapon/celica's gale.

(I read those suggestions somewhere else.)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Play Time: 151:54
Times Played: 168
Average Play Time: 0:52
First Played: 1/29/2012
Last Played: 2/28/2012

I keep meaning to do other things, but why do them when I have Fire Emblem?
FE:A's commercial couldn't be more right.

Who cares about life or death when we have FE.
Play Time: 85:47
Times Played: 37
Average Play Time: 2:19
First Played: 2/4/2013
Last Played: 2/28/2013

I'm taking the GRE in a little over three weeks. I should be studying but instead I play Fire Emblem. :(
Wait, the game has already been out for a month? I guess it really did take me a while to find the game. lol
Not quite; it came out the 4th.

If you just want them to live as long as possible, having Renewal + Pavise + Aegis would make it pretty hard to kill them :p Although I dunno if Pavise and Aegis would work against Counter due to your units taking less damage.

If you want to make people really nervous, I guess Lethality + Astra + Galeforce on a unit with a Brave weapon would be terrifying to fight.

It's a shame that the AI doesn't seem to do pair ups, otherwise it'd be funny to see someone try Deliverer + Pass. They basically can't leave any open spaces by their squishies, otherwise you'll just sneak up on them and give them a good beating :3

AniHawk

There are some formulas, like most of Donnel's endings being about Donnel taking his wife to his family's village, and then each wife does something different there, but there are some specific pairings that result in completely different endings.

kinda neat. i can appreciate that level of effort, especially when it's not the core of the game (like mass effect 3 and the walking dead, which fail incredibly).

Kellam for example disappears from the pages of history and the thing is all about his wife.

that's pretty awesome.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So how's Lunatic in this game?

In FE12 it's a friggin nightmare (and don't even get me started on Lunatic Reverse--beat that one with lots of casualties.)

You can buy rescue staffs for rather cheap in one of the shops around chapter 9's. Not sure exactly where, sorry. Buy some strength potions and maybe forge a brave lance/sword/axe.

Pairing Chrom is better because the boss' halving-damage skill won't activate on the pair-up attack AND you get to attack more than twice per turn with the brave weapon. If you have an A-support, Chrom will have something like a 70-80% chance of initiating a support strike, so on average he'll attack more than twice per attacks. And you get to pass him around for more attacks on the same turn.

You really want to end this chapter fast, because there are tons of healers healing the boss...

...yeah.

Okay. Your Brave weapon strategy worked. Thank you. You're my hero. I would not have beaten it if not for that trick. That Endgame Lunatic is ridiculous. What were they thinking? That's not even remotely balanced. And it felt like a lot of luck involved with the RNG.

LaughingBanana said:
So how's Lunatic in this game?

Just beat the game on Lunatic minutes ago. No grinding. Chapters/Paralogues only. Lunatic is ridiculously hard. Hard for me was a solid difficulty for some chapters, but was very easy on others especially towards the end.

Lunatic is ball-breaking hard, but I'm not sure how well it's balanced. I don't feel like most of the end of the game is balanced well at all. I liked the beginning a lot more. You knew with your few characters that there was a way to do the level, even if it was very very difficult.

Those early chapters are like a very fun puzzle game. Then the game eases up a bit as it lets you build up some team members. The late game though... meh. It forces you to only use your very best, and it becomes extremely challenging to keep anyone else up to speed.

Since the game doesn't intelligently scale with your team's growth, the end of the game just throws impossibly strong units and reinforcements at you. I'm talking Level 20 Promoted units with forged weapons and skills that get reinforced from all over the map. I kept falling further and further behind in EXP with my weakest units because they couldn't be trusted to do anything but die.

I think random battles and DLC hurt the balancing especially because, while I did neither, at times I questioned whether Lunatic is actually balanced in favor of using those bonuses. I prefer a structured, guided experience and limited EXP provides that. With Lunatic, I was questioning whether I was meant to be more leveled up than I was in the later levels.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend playing through on Lunatic nor would I recommend against it. There are too many variables to how you play the game. For me, personally, a difficulty between Lunatic and Hard with limited EXP would have been perfect.

Ferrio

Banned
Tharja isn't a very good mom :\

A question about the battle system.

Is it just normal difficulty, this game, or fire emblem in general where enemy units won't advance usually unless you're in their threat area? Seems kinda cheesy to find one square, move a unit in it and end the turn to bait a single unit to attack you.

Tharja isn't a very good mom :

A question about the battle system.

Is it just normal difficulty, this game, or fire emblem in general where enemy units won't advance usually unless you're in their threat area? Seems kinda cheesy to find one square, move a unit in it and end the turn to bait a single unit to attack you.

This is the first game where the enemies as a whole mass rush you almost every single battle. In past games only specific foes or reinforcements would always rush you

NeonZ

I think random battles and DLC hurt the balancing especially because, while I did neither, at times I questioned whether Lunatic is actually balanced in favor of using those bonuses. I prefer a structured, guided experience and limited EXP provides that. With Lunatic, I was questioning whether I was meant to be more leveled up than I was in the later levels.

New Mystery suffers from similar problems though, in spite of lack of grinding. Some units become completely unviable in Lunatic, with the best strategy to beat it being employing a heavily reduced party. It's even impossible to finish the prologue of New Mystery in Lunatic depending on how you build the avatar there. Although it was a remake, the high difficulty modes were completely new.

Either way, I can't believe Lunatic was designed for DLC grinding because it can be completely trivialized with it, which kind of kills the whole point. Lunatic + is a different matter though - with random skills assigned to the enemies, it's obvious that they weren't worried about balancing anything at all.

Most past FE games work like that, but here in Hard and anything above, although some units still wait for the player like that, when you get in range their entire group goes forward, rather than just one unit by itself.

are there final scenes with whoever survives the last fight?

I'm having a hell of a time getting to the boss(let alone keeping people alive), when I thought I had everyone farmed up pretty well(the preceding chapters were a cake walk)

im thinking i might just pair the kids up with chrom and avatar and then hope against hope that we can finish it but its rough

NeonZ

are there final scenes with whoever survives the last fight?

Most characters have one line after the battle and there's also a personal epilogue for each one.

I'm having a hell of a time getting to the boss(let alone keeping people alive), when I thought I had everyone farmed up pretty well(the preceding chapters were a cake walk)

im thinking i might just pair the kids up with chrom and avatar and then hope against hope that we can finish it but its rough

If you could handle the previous stages but is losing there, aren't you just rushing too much? Take out his initial troops and reinforcements for a bit before advancing to kill him (although the reinforcements are endless). It worked for me.

massoluk

Banned
Tried the Bloodliness DLC yesterday and get kicked really fast, the allies doesn't help much either.

Yeah, I had to rush my team down to meet enemies from the southeast, and still more than half of the allies died after 2nd turn in my case. In the end, only Marth survived, barely.

GeekyDad

Community'd.

Already? Hmm...surprised, since the DLC is still in full (well...) swing.

Anyway, finished Sacred Stones again last night. Gonna borrow my son's Blazing Swords, and I'll probably go back to Shadow Dragon too sometime. Kinda ravaging FE right now. This game definitely reinvigorated my appetite for the series. For some reason, though, Radiant Dawn is still an uphill battle for me in terms of interest. I've started it I don't know how many times, but it's a hard game to fall in love with. Odd, since so many folks consider it their favorite FE game (outside Japan anyway).

Draxal

Already? Hmm...surprised, since the DLC is still in full (well...) swing.

Anyway, finished Sacred Stones again last night. Gonna borrow my son's Blazing Swords, and I'll probably go back to Shadow Dragon too sometime. Kinda ravaging FE right now. This game definitely reinvigorated my appetite for the series. For some reason, though, Radiant Dawn is still an uphill battle for me in terms of interest. I've started it I don't know how many times, but it's a hard game to fall in love with. Odd, since so many folks consider it their favorite FE game (outside Japan anyway).

Alot of people don't like it because the gameplay is incredibly slow compared to the handhelds, and I'm actually in that camp as well. The portability also helps, I don't like being locked down sitting in one area while playing a genre that's lets face it ... is not really eye candy the majority of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom