• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

Awesome pics, Chet.

As an aside, not all that thrilled with the way they made Nyna look for downloadable teams. She was so sweet and regal looking Shadow Dragon. She looks like a pissed off prostitute in the SpotPass stuff.

About the SpotPass story characters...

Priam is Ike's descendant (not a spoiler; he appears out of the blue).

There's also the enemy Swordmaster who died (and who has a sister you can recruit).
As an aside, not all that thrilled with the way they made Nyna look for downloadable teams. She was so sweet and regal looking Shadow Dragon. She looks like a pissed off prostitute in the SpotPass stuff.
They used her official artwork from Shadow Dragon.

Every SpotPass character uses official artwork from the game they came from (except Genealogy, which uses the TCG artwork, but that's still official). It's just one of IS's strange protocols.

GeekyDad

They used her official artwork from Shadow Dragon.

Every SpotPass character uses official artwork from the game they came from (except Genealogy, which uses the TCG artwork, but that's still official). It's just one of IS's strange protocols.

Hmm...very different from the in-game stills, which are really pretty. Don't get me wrong, the sort-of-Gothic style is neat, but she looks like a villain.

Hmm...very different from the in-game stills, which are really pretty. Don't get me wrong, the sort-of-Gothic style is neat, but she looks like a villain.
Oh yeah, I'm not a fan of Shadow Dragon's official art either. It's really nice quality, but the style just doesn't look right.

I know I'm kinda of boring, but I prefer Nyna's old look over her Shadow Dragon look.

nina.gif

I think her new look suits her role and personality better though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So when should I reclass Donny out of Villager? Should I do it right at 15 when he gets Underdog?

That sounds like a plan.

Unless you're short of Second Seals or Master Seals, I think it's always a good idea to change classes once you've learned all the Skills you want.

You can level up more if you're not in desperate need of more Skills, but in Donnel's case, Villager just isn't a good class, so change class ASAP.

Draxal

Donnel is 15 villager 10 merc. He'll cap too many stats by level 10 merc, so you'd want to push him into a hero right away.

and i really miss the GBA portraits, some of their characters don't like right using the official artwork compared to their old portraits.

Donnel is 15 villager 10 merc. He'll cap too many stats by level 10 merc, so you'd want to push him into a hero right away.

and i really miss the GBA portraits, some of their characters don't like right using the official artwork compared to their old portraits.

I'm going to try Donnel out with a Dread Scroll later on to see what good comes out of it. He would probably still kick a ton of ass too.

Draxal

I'm going to try Donnel out with a Dread Scroll later on to see what good comes out of it. He would probably still kick a ton of ass too.

You pretty much want to get all ur guys into Dread Fighter eventually, agressor is a good skill and they can actually get res growth in that class.

ZealousD

Okay, so I just reclassed Donny to a Merc and... I can't give him a sword? Huh? Why can't he equip anything??? :(

Edit: OH wait, nevermind. He has to cut his teeth on a bronze sword first. Bah!

Chuckpebble

Yeah, I bought a bronze sword and forged it up a bit for him so it had some crit chances. It's a very trusty blade named "Waggle Fest".

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Been stuck on Ch 2 lunatic for the last 2 days. :/

Maybe I should start from the beginning and go for a better RNG on my prologue and ch 1

So I ended picking it up last night, but haven't opened it as its been so long since I played a SRPG I'm not sure if I will be able to finish it. The demo seemed fun and it looks to be a great game. Any suggestions on how to approach this?

There is a storyline reason for that. Say'ri
isn't alive in the future the kids come from.

Wait, what? I thought that was the case with all the parents. At least the supports seem to indicate as much.

So I ended picking it up last night, but haven't opened it as its been so long since I played a SRPG I'm not sure if I will be able to finish it. The demo seemed fun and it looks to be a great game. Any suggestions on how to approach this?

Don't overuse Frederick. He'll suck EXP away from units that need it more.
Make sure to press X so you can see where the enemy can move, and keep you weak units out of there.

FSLink

Banned
Wait, what? I thought that was the case with all the parents. At least the supports seem to indicate as much.

Don't overuse Frederick. He'll suck EXP away from units that need it more.
Make sure to press X so you can see where the enemy can move, and keep you weak units out of there.

Instead, overuse Frederick by letting others pair up with him and let him give stat boosts to a unit. Or strip his weapons away and use him as bait.

If you play on normal play classic.

heringer

I gotta say I'm a little disappointed with the reclass system. It means you can keep leveling up forever which leads to abuse. If you grind a little using reclass you can make unbeatable characters since they keep their base stats and level up super quickly. Kinda breaks the balance of the game. Well, at least there's stats cap so people don't abuse it too much.

So, do you guys abuse the reclass system? I'm considering ignoring it altogether and play the game like the old days, only using reclass if I genuinely want a class change.

ZealousD

I wasn't expecting to recruit Lucina so quickly. I hadn't read into passing down skills yet and Sumia hadn't gotten Galeforce yet when I finished the Chapter that you recruit her in. Am I boned for giving Lucina Galeforce?

Mr. Fix

I gotta say I'm a little disappointed with the reclass system. It means you can keep leveling up forever which leads to abuse. If you grind a little using reclass you can make unbeatable characters since they keep their base stats and level up super quickly. Kinda breaks the balance of the game.

So, do you guys abuse the reclass system? I'm considering ignoring it altogether and play the game like the old days, only using reclass if I genuinely want a class change.

If you're playing through the game straight, there's no need for it. It's mostly for post-game.

I wasn't expecting to recruit Lucina so quickly. I hadn't read into passing down skills yet and Sumia hadn't gotten Galeforce yet when I finished the Chapter that you recruit her in. Am I boned for giving Lucina Galeforce?

Luckily, Lucina inherits the Pegasus Knight class, so you could always use a Second Seal.

I think the poster is solely comparing between
the current timeline and the other/future timeline. Say'ri is alive in this one and dead in other, while Yen'fay is dead in this one and alive in the other

I gotta say I'm a little disappointed with the reclass system. It means you can keep leveling up forever which leads to abuse. If you grind a little using reclass you can make unbeatable characters since they keep their base stats and level up super quickly. Kinda breaks the balance of the game. Well, at least there's stats cap so people don't abuse it too much.

Really any Fire Emblem main story line is broken if you grind, this one (and Sacred Stones) just made it really easy to do so. The game feels balanced around a little bit of grinding and the pair up system on hard mode with the incredible influx of all promoted foes once you get to the 2nd continent.

Lunatic/+ and some of the later DLC however except you're going to grind and reclass like crazy and exploit DLC for things like limit breaker and infinite money and legendary weapons.

I'm playing on Lunatic mode and it's hard as balls. But I just used the wireless menu for the first time(didn't even know what it did when I played through on hard lol) and it feels like all the cards are in my hands now. Sold my free stat boosters to get a level 15 Soren and reclassed him to Dark Mage with my free Second Seal. Now I have a level 3 Dark Mage on the 5th mission one-shotting everybody on Lunatic, not bad. Now I just need to save up and buy my level 60-something avatar from my previous playthrough. My current one is a little boy with pink hair named Apricot and it's just not the same.

ohlawd

Goddamn I should not have started on hard, Chapter 5 is absolutly kicking my ass.

I abused a Rescue staff on that chapter. Let Ricken and Maribelle pair up so you can rescue them in one go.

Did a lot of pairing up too and I never pushed up. Basically, I stayed in the starting area until I was sure there weren't any more reinforcements.

Verelios

I'm currently on Chapter 17 and am having serious guilty pangs about letting Vaike being killed off. Granted, that was back in like chapter three or something, so I never really got to know him, but you guys make him seem fun to use!

Ugh, he's the only person I've let die...although not grudgingly as I used him as a sacrifice to clear the map. Just seemed like a useless character.

Then I forgot all about him when I got Lon'qu and here I am again because of this thread. Really know how to tug at my heart GAF =/.

I'm currently on Chapter 17 and am having serious guilty pangs about letting Vaike being killed off. Granted, that was back in like chapter three or something, so I never really got to know him, but you guys make him seem fun to use!

Ugh, he's the only person I've let die...although not grudgingly as I used him as a sacrifice to clear the map. Just seemed like a useless character.

Then I forgot all about him when I got Lon'qu and here I am again because of this thread. Really know how to tug at my heart GAF =/.

:mad:

You're terrible!

ohlawd

nah forget about it lol.

I've done 3 playthroughs and I've never used him seriously. In all 3 occasions, he was a piece of shit with terrible speed.

Busaiku

Alright, so finally got through the main campaign, only at like 115 hours or so, with like 100 recorded in game.
All I've got left are the DLC Paralogues and other DLC in general.

Overall, I'm disappointed with this, coming off of Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn.
It's still fun (as I've put over 100 hours in), but it's just so basic and I feel there are missed opportunities throughout.

It's been said a bunch, but I've still gotta echo those statement on how boring the map objectives are. Just rout, rout, rout. I love routing enemies, but I wish there was more to do as well. The Paralogue objectives/bonuses are better, and are better levels in general, and I definitely had fun with those. However, the lack of stuff like Canto, Shove, Weight, differing elevations, fog/night, and whatever system mechanics really limited whatever strategies.

Pair Up is good concept, but it has some problems. The game feels like it's balanced around Pair Up, with solo units being weak on their own, barring grinding of course (which I did). But Pair Up is still pretty strong given everything else (of course I haven't gotten far in Lunatic). Enemies should have been able to Pair Up, and the game should be balanced around that. It's a real shame that wasn't utilized at all.

As I've only played Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn (I played a couple minutes of Sacred Stones, I might eventually get to it), there are some things that I loved about those, which probably aren't a common thing in the franchise, but I'm missing those a lot. The Laguz were really great,and Taguel/Manaketes here just don't really compare for me. I liked that the Laguz had a set meter in which they could transform, and were otherwise weakened, so you had to plan around that and have more interesting strategies.
Another thing I loved about the Laguz was about how much variety there was. There were a lot of different types, and even among the units of each unit, there was a greater degree of variety.
The Dragonstones/Beaststones are different, not necessarily bad or anything, but I just don't like this system nearly as much.

The attack animations disappointed me a lot though. I sat through them almost all the time, and I wish there was more variety here for the Skills and whatnot. I understand that since characters could reclass to so many different things, there would be more work to do, but I wish they'd gone that extra mile.

Tying into that last point, it would've been nice if class changes could have been reflected in the character portraits as well, as they were in Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn. But again, I know that there would've had to have been a lot more work for this.

It's kind of a disappointment to have all of the children here, but not do anything special with them. I'm looking forward to the DLC with them, but it's a shame that it's only 3 chapters in total.

And it's also a shame that almost all of the husbands don't really have anything unique with their children. Again, more work, I know, but this really killed some characters for me, as they couldn't really exhibit their personalities quite as well.

The story took a real big dive after the 1st major conflict. When I beat the last boss, it just wasn't as exciting/emotional that final conflict of the 1st act.The Nobunga here was kind of a wasted villain as well, not really contributing much in the grand scheme of things. If the game didn't go in the direction that it did, I feel as though they could've made that character better, as the final boss and whatnot, but oh well.

Now those are my issues with the game, but I still had a lot of fun. I liked the Support system in general, character interactions are great in general (minus the fathers). The 1st act had a good impact on me, and I like the characters of the latter parts, just not as hot on the story. It's also fun using the children together, as a single unit, since it lets me get more attached to them in general, it's just lame that there's no plot to guide them together any more.

It looked and sounded great for sure. A lot of people aren't as big on the little quips the characters have, but I absolutely love them. I wouldn't have minded full voice acting, but this is not a detriment on its own.

The 3D is great, it's just a shame it slows things down so much.

Overall a good game, not as good as Path Of Radiance/Radiant Dawn for me, and definitely not my pick for top 3DS game or anything, but still fun.

Gestahl

It's been said a bunch, but I've still gotta echo those statement on how boring the map objectives are. Just rout, rout, rout. I love routing enemies, but I wish there was more to do as well.

Some hoser in another thread tried comparing Uhai's map with Paralogue 2 (which is a chunk cut out of an FE4 map but whatever) as some sort of slam on FE7's map design, but thinking over it while playing Path of Radiance maniac mode that comparison has the complete opposite effect on me. On Uhai's map there is fog of war, you start in the northwest and have that whole section as a sort of staging ground, you have one chokepoint in the south to defend/advance past and two in the east, rivers divide the map into islands but also leave room for plenty of vulnerabilities as several of the enemies wield bows, magic, or are possibly pirates can't remember, reinforcements come from the north, there's a character to recruit, and you have a time limit to beat on top of all that if you want to access a sidequest.

In paralogue 2 you start mid-west directly adjacent to most of the threatening enemies on the map, the guys in the middle just sort of shamble mindlessly to the village/Anna/their deaths, and the boss and his cronies sit around in the south sipping tea until the village has been taken care of one way or another. In one of these maps the terrain actually matters.

Uhai was kill the leader, but you can do a lot with Rout and Kill Commander, and this game barely scratches the surface of either objective.

TheMink

You don't. Well, there is a special item that can repair items, but it's rare and not something you can rely on.

Hammerne staff but it's only one use so it's not really practical.

You buy new weapons to replace your old weapons when they start running out of uses.

;_;

Guys, has it been said how fucking awesome this game is? On my second playthrough and I'm already 11 hours in.

Can't stop playing.

In between times i want to throw my goddamn 3DS on the ground its pretty sweet.

ohlawd

are you having money issues or something? :p

I feel that the game pumps out plenty of cash by the time you run out of uses for your starting equipment.

Guys, has it been said how fucking awesome this game is? On my second playthrough and I'm already 11 hours in.

Can't stop playing.

then you realize this game has terrible map design and there's no variety in mission objectives.

or that the characters are written solely so every stereotypical role in anime is filled in

and that the game is unbalanced as fuck in Lunatic.

But it's still my favorite FE. dafaq is wrong with me.

As I've only played Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn (I played a couple minutes of Sacred Stones, I might eventually get to it), there are some things that I loved about those, which probably aren't a common thing in the franchise, but I'm missing those a lot. The Laguz were really great,and Taguel/Manaketes here just don't really compare for me. I liked that the Laguz had a set meter in which they could transform, and were otherwise weakened, so you had to plan around that and have more interesting strategies.
Another thing I loved about the Laguz was about how much variety there was. There were a lot of different types, and even among the units of each unit, there was a greater degree of variety.
The Dragonstones/Beaststones are different, not necessarily bad or anything, but I just don't like this system nearly as much.

I agree with your reasons on why Laguz were more fleshed out than Manakete/Taguel.

In PoR Laguz were actually involved in a good chunk of the story so you got to know more about them, their history and why they have bad blood with the beorc(humans).

In FE:A there's nothing in the game about the history of Manaketes other than one line about Nowi being sold as a slave on her intro map and Tiki saying male MU resembles
Mar Mar
. Taguels have one or two lines about them getting wiped out by humans.

That's it.

The attack animations disappointed me a lot though. I sat through them almost all the time, and I wish there was more variety here for the Skills and whatnot. I understand that since characters could reclass to so many different things, there would be more work to do, but I wish they'd gone that extra mile.

Tying into that last point, it would've been nice if class changes could have been reflected in the character portraits as well, as they were in Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn. But again, I know that there would've had to have been a lot more work for this.

My disappointment upon seeing Chrom's Aether after getting used to Ike's. :(
Battle animations were fairly standard and were toned down a bit compared to Radiant Dawns. Homogeneous skill use kind of killed the unique thing about seeing a unit activate its own skill. I think the portrait change was only limited to story promotions though.

That's something that bothered me. As far as the game is concerned
Chrom and Lucina never promote to Great Lord class, they stay as Lord the whole game. So there's no mid game upgrade where the main character gets a badass new outfit that's also reflected in cutscenes/portraits. As an avid player of SRW games I expect mid game upgrades!

It's kind of a disappointment to have all of the children here, but not do anything special with them. I'm looking forward to the DLC with them, but it's a shame that it's only 3 chapters in total.

The children were treated as completely optional where as in other FE's they would have been integrated into the story stages as you progress. This also means the children characters have absolutely no agency in the game's story which I didn't like. Getting all of them makes remaining chapters very easy as well.

Even with all of that, the children characters are pretty fun to play with. On my main playthrough I replaced all the first gen characters except for Chrom/MU.

And it's also a shame that almost all of the husbands don't really have anything unique with their children. Again, more work, I know, but this really killed some characters for me, as they couldn't really exhibit their personalities quite as well.

This is another situation where I think less choice would have been better. If having less potential S ranks meant unique support conversations with the remaining fathers I would definitely be in favour of that.

The story took a real big dive after the 1st major conflict. When I beat the last boss, it just wasn't as exciting/emotional that final conflict of the 1st act.The Nobunga here was kind of a wasted villain as well, not really contributing much in the grand scheme of things. If the game didn't go in the direction that it did, I feel as though they could've made that character better, as the final boss and whatnot, but oh well.

I think a lot of people have chimed in about how the story isn't as good or cohesive as other FE's. I thought it was alright but a lack of worldbuilding and before/after battle narrations meant you knew very little about the world itself and things like borders/locations/army movement.

Now those are my issues with the game, but I still had a lot of fun. I liked the Support system in general, character interactions are great in general (minus the fathers). The 1st act had a good impact on me, and I like the characters of the latter parts, just not as hot on the story. It's also fun using the children together, as a single unit, since it lets me get more attached to them in general, it's just lame that there's no plot to guide them together any more.

It looked and sounded great for sure. A lot of people aren't as big on the little quips the characters have, but I absolutely love them. I wouldn't have minded full voice acting, but this is not a detriment on its own.

The 3D is great, it's just a shame it slows things down so much.

Overall a good game, not as good as Path Of Radiance/Radiant Dawn for me, and definitely not my pick for top 3DS game or anything, but still fun.

I agree with all of this too. The game has plenty of flaws but I still played it for about 80 hours or so. That's more than I can say for some recent games I've played.

I just hope IS learns from Awakening and makes a better Fire Emblem game next time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom