• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Made it through chapter 4 on lunatic.

Levels:
Chrom: 9
MU: 9
Lissa: 8
Frederick: 3
Sumia: 2
Miriel: 3
Lon'qu: 4 (obviously)
Virion: 3
Kellam: 5
Sully: 3
Stahl: 2
Vaike: 5

Ch 4 was relatively simple: I mostly paired my MU with Chrom (B level support) and picked off enemies 1 by 1, with other characters finishing enemies off when their HP was low enough.

Frederick served as a defensive shield. Sumia served as a speed boost for units that needed it (to reduce an enemy unit down to 1 attack). Lissa for healing duty.

Now to grind through CoY 1 once or twice, and recruit Donny...

Just got through this myself. I relied on a combo of my avatar+Frederick to get me through it. On ch 3 I only sent out avatar, Lissa, and Frederick with Chrom, and ch 4 I sent out only Chrom+avatar and Frederick+Kellam. So yeah, most of my crew is underleveled as hell, but I plan on grinding them up so no big deal.

Final levels:
Frederick: 5 (w/ 99 exp)
Chrom: 2 (w/ 90 exp)
Kellam: 5
Lon'qu: 4
Lissa: 9
Sumia: 1
Virion: 2
Sully: 2
Vaike: 3
Stahl: 2
Miriel: 1

So glad I restarted since I don't think my other file could've finished ch 3.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Last enemy left besides the boss in Infinite Regalia just killed my Avatar with Counter.
Stewie_MagazineRack.gif

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Assist team A?

*Me looks a team A*

"No."

Assist team B?

*Me looks at team B*

"Nah, it's alright."

Fight two teams at the same time?

*Me looks at the two teams, thinking, yeah, our guys can handle it.*

"Sure, why not?"

Are you sure?

"Yeah yeah!"

Alright.

*Battle begins.*

*A hundred more enemies appearing on both sides.*

>_________________>

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It surprised me. I don't know how anyone would be able to defeat that map on hard/lunatic without at least some level up grinding.

Anyways, I want to play as Female Avatar, but there's one rather big thing that prevented me from doing so: Female Morgan. She is just wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooo adorable, goddamn. Missing out on her feels like a huge loss!

Also, a random note, I should stop raising support for people already reaching S-support with a lifetime partner. Watching any other support can sometimes feels like they're cheating their partners. It just feels wrong, hahahah.

Beat the final level. Normal/Classic. 64 hours. Not quite 100%'d, but close enough, since I didn't grind (bringing along weaklings == great way to handicap yourself). Probably will take a break, then give Lunatic a try.
It surprised me. I don't know how anyone would be able to defeat that map on hard/lunatic without at least some level up grinding.

Anyways, I want to play as Female Avatar, but there's one rather big thing that prevented me from doing so: Female Morgan. She is just wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooo adorable, goddamn. Missing out on her feels like a huge loss!

Also, a random note, I should stop raising support for people already reaching S-support with a lifetime partner. Watching any other support can sometimes feels like they're cheating their partners. It just feels wrong, hahahah.
Well... Male Morgan is awesome. His supports with Owain are the stuff legends are made of.

Mr. Fix

The fact that her voice isn't "cutesy" is a plus. I'm on my third run though, and I decided to check out the other Morgan. I've yet to get him though, but I'm making
Gangrel
the father.

Draxal

You know having a second 3ds for all the random street pass teams they can make is kinda nifty. You'll see some weird combinations for teams.

Busaiku

Alright, now I can finally break Lunatic.

Man, getting these was such a pain.
I wasted like an entire charge getting through Chapter 3...

Just picked this game up tonight...it's my first 3DS title and my first Fire Emblem title, and already I can tell I'm going to spend a long time with this one.

I'm probably not going to be too active in this thread until I'm farther in the game (and farther from spoilers), but I had a few questions. Since this is my first FE title, am I missing out on any essential lore by not having played the previous games, or does Awakening stand on its own? Is it advisable for a newb to the series to start on Hard/Classic mode? I'm no stranger to SRPGs by any stretch. Thanks.

Mr. Fix

Just picked this game up tonight...it's my first 3DS title and my first Fire Emblem title, and already I can tell I'm going to spend a long time with this one.

I'm probably not going to be too active in this thread until I'm farther in the game (and farther from spoilers), but I had a few questions. Since this is my first FE title, am I missing out on any essential lore by not having played the previous games, or does Awakening stand on its own? Is it advisable for a newb to the series to start on Hard/Classic mode? I'm no stranger to SRPGs by any stretch. Thanks.

It has its own story (like the FF games) so you're good coming in fresh. Hard/Classic sounds good if you're fine with letting your units permanently die/restarting chapters. Otherwise Casual would be the way to go.

Busaiku

I don't think you're missing out on anything important if you haven't played earlier games.
Although I haven't played anything besides Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn though, though this game does have references to other games, primarily Marth's games.

As far as difficulty settings go, it's pretty easy to get going after you've figured out the basic mechanics, and the game in in general is really basic in comparison to those other games I mentioned earlier.

It has its own story (like the FF games) so you're good coming in fresh. Hard/Classic sounds good if you're fine with letting your units permanently die/restarting chapters. Otherwise Casual would be the way to go.

I don't think you're missing out on anything important if you haven't played earlier games.
Although I haven't played anything besides Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn though, though this game does have references to other games, primarily Marth's games.

As far as difficulty settings go, it's pretty easy to get going after you've figured out the basic mechanics, and the game in in general is really basic in comparison to those other games I mentioned earlier.

Thanks guys. I may have to revisit the past titles once I finish this one if I fall in love with the series. What would you guys say is the definitive FE game?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ok quick question, before you get the kids from marriage do the kids get the stuff based on the parents time of marriage or based on when you do the map to unlock them?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

It stands on its own; stuff related to past games are limited to just optional cameos in DLCs and such.

Hard/Classic is a good place to start if you are feeling confident about your SRPG experience. Really, you can learn the mechanics as you go, they are not that complicated (although plentiful)

I'm regretting marrying Robin to Cordelia. I'm pretty eh about her, and I'm not liking Severa at all. (Probably my least favorite kid.)

I'd most likely go for Cherche, Tiki or Miriel if I could start over.

If you have experience with SRPGs, I wouldn't play on anything lower than hard. You aren't missing anything important by not having played earlier games.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm regretting marrying Robin to Cordelia. I'm pretty eh about her, and I'm not liking Severa at all. (Probably my least favorite kid.)

I'd most likely go for Cherche, Tiki or Miriel if I could start over.

Yeah, kind of regretting marrying my Avatar to Cordelia too. Especially jarring if you try to raise her supports with someone else too.

Kind of wished my avatar married Lissa, I adore that girl.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
She would have been great without the excessive Chrom obsession, *sigh*

I wish the game played up the insecure genius angle more instead of that.

There is no Chrom obsession after she marries Kincaido.

Well, there is the money DLC, but that's not canon!

She would have been great without the excessive Chrom obsession, *sigh*

I wish the game played up the insecure genius angle more instead of that.
I don't get why she still talks about Chrom so much after she S supports with someone. It's too much. (And some of her S supports are just totally depressing.) He doesn't like you that way, get over it.

But Severa is even worse. What a brat.

Cherche on the other hand is awesome in all her supports. She treats everyone with so much kindness. If I can't have same sex man love, she would be my first choice for sure.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
There is no Chrom obsession after she marries Kincaido.

Well, there is the money DLC, but that's not canon!

I don't get why she still talks about Chrom so much after she S supports with someone. It's too much. (And some of her S supports are just totally depressing.) He doesn't like you that way, get over it.

But Severa is even worse. What a brat.

Cherche on the other hand is awesome in all her supports. She treats everyone with so much kindness. If I can't have same sex man love, she would be my first choice for sure.

It *breaks* the narrative, to be sure. I regretted marrying her and then pursuing her supports with her available options--in them it seems like she is not in love with the Avatar or even like she is his wife or like that.

Next time if I ever decide to marry her again I'll stop pursuing her supports with the rest, or maybe marrying her after she gets her A support with everyone, just to not break the narrative that my Avatar and her are in love with each other.

Ive been thinking of replaying the game on hard with female MU

is it possible to get a kid with Walhart?

Yeah.

Soulhouf

The support conversation between Cherche and Gregor :'(
Gregor is definitely the best guy. Every time he opens his mouth is gold and have access to a very good matching classes.

Thanks guys. I may have to revisit the past titles once I finish this one if I fall in love with the series. What would you guys say is the definitive FE game?

Just ignore the GBA and the 1st DS one, they are the weakest entries to the series. The best modern FE are Path of Radiance and especially Radiant Dawn. You need to play them both in that order because RD is the direct sequel to PoR and the comeback of the characters was epic.
My personal favorite are FE Seisen no Keifu and Thracia 776 on the Super Famicom. They are brilliant and continue to stand pretty well nowadays.

Gregor is definitely the best guy. Every time he opens his mouth is gold and have access to a very good matching classes.
Gregor and Cherche are definitely some of my favorite characters in this game. Their supports with each other and the rest of the team are pretty top notch.

But this game has so many awesome playable characters. There are very few that I dislike.

Draxal

Just ignore the GBA and the 1st DS one, they are the weakest entries to the series. The best modern FE are Path of Radiance and especially Radiant Dawn. You need to play them both in that order because RD is the direct sequel to PoR and the comeback of the characters was epic.
My personal favorite are FE Seisen no Keifu and Thracia 776 on the Super Famicom. They are brilliant and continue to stand pretty well nowadays.

People still love Blazing Sword, and Sacred Stones isn't a bad game.

People do have issues with Por and RD in that the games are incredibly slow, but if you can get past that alot of people do love them.

I'm not sure Thracia 776 holds up to well, the difficulty/fatigue system can throw off a lot of people.

In all honesty, there is no definitive fire emblem.

Soulhouf

People still love Blazing Sword, and Sacred Stones isn't a bad game.

People do have issues with Por and RD in that the games are incredibly slow, but if you can get past that alot of people do love them.

I'm not sure Thracia 776 holds up to well, the difficulty/fatigue system can throw off a lot of people.

The GBA are good enough. The only thing is they really feel weaker than the others.
Sacred Stones is probably the GBA one that stands because they brought back some of the key elements that disappeared the 2 previous ones. Blazing Sword and Fuuin no Tsurugi were a huge step backward because of the departure of Shouzou Kaga I guess and you immediately feel that especially if you played the previous ones before. I don't know what changed but it seems that Intelligent System recovered since then and finally they were able to make a Fire Emblem in the series heyday with Path of Radiance which was the comeback we all were waiting for.

Thracia introduced many interesting gameplay aspect. The fatigue system made the game harsh but also more intense and I loved that. People may hate that but I think that no one would disagree that Thracia is still the episode that has one the most advanced gameplay system. Also having played FE4 before is a huge plus because of the characters.

I would say that FE9&10 have the best world/story, FE5 has the best gameplay and FE4 has one of the best gameplay and story. The story in 4 was in no way complex but, oh boy I even shed tears in that game. The story telling and the characters were able to make the cold me cry. No other game did it.

With that said, I really must play again 4 and 5 to see what I think of them today but the Super Famicom cartridges are still in my parents house so I need to bring them one of these days.

GeekyDad

No, there really isn't. Each one pretty much brought its own stuff with it. And honestly, the SD bashing is so overdone. It's far from being a bad game or a bad FE for that matter. It's a blessing to those who never had a chance to play the original. It's a solid FE game in spite of its flaws. The GBA games are great for what they are. Heck, Awakening isn't all that far off from SS in terms of how much it allows you to break the gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom