• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I added the spotpass paralogues but I can't access to them, there isn't any road to go to Kin'g Lament and Irreconcilable Paths. Do I have to complete some chapter before access them?

HoJu

This is my first Fire Emblem and I'm really enjoying it so far, but I have a question.

Miriel died on me on Chapter 4, but no one in my party reacted or had any dialogue about it. Is this always what happens when characters die? Does it matter if it's one of the more major characters, like Lissa or something?

It would be disappointing if no one says anything when their comrades die in battle...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This is my first Fire Emblem and I'm really enjoying it so far, but I have a question.

Miriel died on me on Chapter 4, but no one in my party reacted or had any dialogue about it. Is this always what happens when characters die? Does it matter if it's one of the more major characters, like Lissa or something?

It would be disappointing if no one says anything when their comrades dies in battle...

Actually, that's a good question.

Supposedly the player deliberately kills Lissa in the 1st battle; will she still be involved in various other cutscenes like introducing the Avatar to everyone in the Shepherds?

I imagine since there is a CG movie involving her immediately afterwards then the game would just ignore it? But how about any other circumstances where she is normally a part of characters showing up in a cutscene?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Actually, that's a good question.

Supposedly the player deliberately kills Lissa in the 1st battle; will she still be involved in various other cutscenes like introducing the Avatar to everyone in the Shepherds?

I imagine since there is a CG movie involving her immediately afterwards then the game would just ignore it? But how about any other circumstances where she is normally a part of characters showing up in a cutscene?

Barely any characters appear in CG movies, for reasons like this. There's Chrom, Lissa, and Sumia. And "Marth." That's... about it. Chrom and Avatar (and "Marth" maybe but I'm not sure) give you a game over, so I'm guessing Lissa and Sumia are the two that don't actually "die" in classic, but just get perma-benched.

zroid

Banned
I'm pretty sure the game handles those necessary appearances by having the characters not technically "die", but be incapacitated for battle.

vareon

Important characters that aren't supposed to die will say something like "I'm sorry guys I can't die yet!" and leave the battlefield. You can't use them anymore in classic, still. Consider them permanently injured or something.

HoJu

hm, ok.
but like i said, my Miriel fell during battle and since she isn't a major character, is she considered "dead"?

i expected at least some dialogue in the barracks or something.

there is a bit of a disconnect there though, because for ME she might as well be dead. i can't use her, she isn't going to have any dialogue with the other characters. she is out of the game. this is what makes the battles so tense, and why we "grieve" for the lost characters, in a sense.

but if what i've seen so far is correct, that the other characters ignore their deaths, then they are either heartless bastards, or the developers didn't think it was worth it to add a reaction from them.

which is pretty unsatisfying.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Barely any characters appear in CG movies, for reasons like this. There's Chrom, Lissa, and Sumia. And "Marth." That's... about it. Chrom and Avatar (and "Marth" maybe but I'm not sure) give you a game over, so I'm guessing Lissa and Sumia are the two that don't actually "die" in classic, but just get perma-benched.

I'm pretty sure the game handles those necessary appearances by having the characters not technically "die", but be incapacitated for battle.

Important characters that aren't supposed to die will say something like "I'm sorry guys I can't die yet!" and leave the battlefield. You can't use them anymore in classic, still. Consider them permanently injured or something.

I am curious whether the game acknowledge such occasions in the Epilogue or just simply skip the character in question.

zroid

Banned
which is pretty unsatisfying.

Certainly a part of it is there's already a metric ton of text in this game and having other characters "react" to the felling of their comrades would have just been a lot of additional work.

But the other part of it is that you're kind of supposed to feel unsatisfied. That's one way the game punishes you for allowing those units to fall. They're just gone and there's not really any closure, you just have to live with it. Or restart.

Finally finished the game, figured I'd give a mini review.

I guess I should start off by saying I didn't play the game on casual mode, and realized that was a mistake about 5-6 chapters in and didn't want to restart it all, so I pushed through it.

That being said, I still think the game is amazing, and easily the best game on the 3DS yet.

-This is the only game that I've ever been so genuinely excited when a cutscene happened. They were simply GORGEOUS. However, they weren't spread out evenly. They happened all the time at the beginning of the game, but the middle and end sections hardly had any, which really let me down.

-The gameplay is fantastic. It's like the best game of chess ever. While I do wish I played it on casual the first time around, playing on Classic mode really forced me to play as smart as possible and it added heaps of immersion to the experience. Having to think 3 steps ahead and constantly keep an eye on all enemy units made me feel like I accomplished something special at the completion of every chapter.

-While I love the gameplay, the game didn't do too great of a job of explaining the importance of some of its elements, namely the "partner" system. This may be because I'm a FE beginner, but when battling I hardly thought about "I want these two to get married/become great friends, so I'll keep them together." I just wanted to be able to beat the chapter. I also hardly ever paired units up, because it seemed to limit my options too much. As a result, I only had Chrom and Sumia married by the end of the game, so I feel like I missed out on a bunch of characters.

-The game also didn't explain how skills get passed down to children and all that, so I didn't know about the added incentive of "you really want to marry characters to produce bad ass kids." I know that I could've learned all this by looking online, but I don't like having to do that when I play a game, and if a game doesn't do that on its own, I consider it a flaw. I shouldn't have to read through a wikia of a game to understand some of its major gameplay elements.

-The music. Oh my God, the music. I can't wait until the soundtrack makes its way online, because I will listen to it obsessively for at least a few weeks.

-The characters all had a great personality. Virion and Lucina were probably my favorite.

-The last chapter was simply too difficult. By the time you get that far in the game, the last thing you want to do is grind for hours (not to mention that to grind enough to beat the level comfortably, you have to throw down at least $2.50 for the experience filled DLC). As a result, 4 or 5 of my characters died in the last chapter.

-Adding to the last point, the ending of the game is even worse than the excessive difficulty of the last chapter. It's probably the most anti-climactic ending I've ever experienced in a game. Even Mario games feel more satisfying when you complete them.

I know most of these are complaints, but I really really loved the game. It's hard to pick out what exactly was great about the game because pretty much everything is amazing. It just sucks that such a fantastic game is completely stunted by the last chapter, the ending, and the lack of properly explaining the importance of marriage/children. I mean, there wasn't even a cutscene in the ending, just a bunch of text. What were they thinking?

If I had to give a number to the game, I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10. The pros easily outweigh the cons.

backlot

I don't know how this game handles it but in Sacred Stones I had Seth die in battle and the game just treated it as if he head been seriously injured and couldn't battle anymore. He still had dialogue later on though. I'd imagine this game probably does something similar.

I don't know how this game handles it but in Sacred Stones I had Seth die in battle and the game just treated it as if he head been seriously injured and couldn't battle anymore. He still had dialogue later on though. I'd imagine this game probably does something similar.

EDIT: Nevermind.

j-wood

Is there somewhere I can go to see what I'm assuming are class icons represent? Clicking them doesn't show any information, so I'm basically just guessing if a weapon is effective against a class or if my character is we weak to a certain class.

How do I know who can use what type of weapon?

Where does hammers, javalins, ect fall in the "weapon triangle" (and how exactly does that system work)?

backlot

Is there somewhere I can go to see what I'm assuming are class icons represent? Clicking them doesn't show any information, so I'm basically just guessing if a weapon is effective against a class or if my character is we weak to a certain class.

How do I know who can use what type of weapon?

Where does hammers, javalins, ect fall in the "weapon triangle" (and how exactly does that system work)?

I'm not sure what you mean by class icons. Do you mean the icons that indicate weaknesses? I'm pretty sure weaknesses for each character are listed on the bottom screen. Characters aren't necessarily weak to certain classes, just the weapons they're holding.

You can tell what character can use what type of weapon by looking towards the bottom of their stat screen. You'll see something like a sword icon with the letter "C" meaning they can use swords of rank C or lower.

As for the weapon triangle it basically goes axes > lances > swords > axes. Being equipped with a better weapon than your enemy means you're move likely to dodge their attacks or hit them with your own attacks and you'll probably get a bit of a damage bonus. Javelins are considered lances and hammers are considered axes.

hao chi

Marth can die, but what kind of monster would continue without him?

Edit: By die, I just mean he'll retreat.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ahh, so beating Lunatic Casual will only unlock Lunatic+ Casual then, and the game still locks you out from Lunatic+ Classic.

Ooo boy I foresee a LOT of grieving scream in the future.

-While I love the gameplay, the game didn't do too great of a job of explaining the importance of some of its elements, namely the "partner" system. This may be because I'm a FE beginner, but when battling I hardly thought about "I want these two to get married/become great friends, so I'll keep them together." I just wanted to be able to beat the chapter. I also hardly ever paired units up, because it seemed to limit my options too much. As a result, I only had Chrom and Sumia married by the end of the game, so I feel like I missed out on a bunch of characters.

-The last chapter was simply too difficult. By the time you get that far in the game, the last thing you want to do is grind for hours (not to mention that to grind enough to beat the level comfortably, you have to throw down at least $2.50 for the experience filled DLC). As a result, 4 or 5 of my characters died in the last chapter. .

I'm going to say the reason you found it difficult is because you weren't pairing up units. Even without looking up how skill passing down works the children characters are much stronger then the adults at similar levels, knowing how to make them super kids only breaks the game even more and is unneeded. By not using the partner system your units were weaker then they should have been because the game is designed around the system. When you pair up the lead unit gets stat bonuses from the partner, the higher the support rank the bigger the stat increase. In addition the higher a support the more likely characters are to duel attack and defend its the difference between 35% chance to duel attack and 75% chance. Also when units are paired or next to each other they give a boost to hit and dodge, by pairing up your units you increase their fighting strength and survivability.

Would you guys recommend the EXP growth dlc for Lunatic mode? It's pretty much impossible to develop characters AND get through chapters right now.
Maybe it's the fact that I insisted on playing on Classic

j-wood

I'm not sure what you mean by class icons. Do you mean the icons that indicate weaknesses? I'm pretty sure weaknesses for each character are listed on the bottom screen. Characters aren't necessarily weak to certain classes, just the weapons they're holding.

You can tell what character can use what type of weapon by looking towards the bottom of their stat screen. You'll see something like a sword icon with the letter "C" meaning they can use swords of rank C or lower.

As for the weapon triangle it basically goes axes > lances > swords > axes. Being equipped with a better weapon than your enemy means you're move likely to dodge their attacks or hit them with your own attacks and you'll probably get a bit of a damage bonus. Javelins are considered lances and hammers are considered axes.

Yeah I'm referring to the weakness icons, which are the same as the ones that show what your weapon is effective against. One looks like a picture of a horse, another a green goblin thing, a black horse, ect. I haven't seen the game describe what all those are.

Javier

Yeah I'm referring to the weakness icons, which are the same as the ones that show what your weapon is effective against. One looks like a picture of a horse, another a green goblin thing, a black horse, ect. I haven't seen the game describe what all those are.
Considering all the mounted units in this game, shouldn't it be pretty obvious what each of those icons represent?

Anteo

That just means "This weapon is effective against units that have this simbol in weakness"

While weakness generally follow rules like, Flyer units are weak against bows and wind magic, there are some exceptions, for example Panne is weak against beastslayer weapons even if she is not in her Taguel class.

Chuckpebble

This one got me too. That's actually supposed to be an armored unit. I got a hammer off of an enemy early in my game that has that effect on it. Basically the dude could have 1 shot Kellam.

You may have disabled the tutorials. In a battle map, click on an empty square, select guide, and check out item number 11. Bonus Damage

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So, what's the highest rating a character can get? Donnel right now has 213 for me -- with Severa not too far behind.

My Nah was at 337 a few days ago, and that was BEFORE I maxed her out. (Also not counting the Dragonstone+ stat additions, and the All Stats +2 skill I gave her just to be obscene.) Who knows what the max was, maybe 350? Donnel's genes in a Manakete will do that.

so what happens when a character reaches level 20 and you don't promote or class change them? Do they stop leveling, do their stats stop geting higher?

zroid

Banned
My Nah was at 337 a few days ago, and that was BEFORE I maxed her out. (Also not counting the Dragonstone+ stat additions, and the All Stats +2 skill I gave her just to be obscene.) Who knows what the max was, maybe 350? Donnel's genes in a Manakete will do that.

Donnel and Nowi eh... I could get behind that

Mr. Fix

so what happens when a character reaches level 20 and you don't promote or class change them? Do they stop leveling, do their stats stop geting higher?

You can always use a Second Seal just to revert them down to level 1, that way you don't have to switch classes and nothing is actually lost during the switch.

You can always use a Second Seal just to revert them down to level 1, that way you don't have to switch classes and nothing is actually lost during the switch.

you mean you can use a second seal on say a mage to revert them back to lvl 1 and stay a mage? I thought second seal was just to switch classes to whatever a character in question isn't currently.

Sielys

Gregor is fantastic.

fKYi9l4.jpg

Mr. Fix

you mean you can use a second seal on say a mage to revert them back to lvl 1 and stay a mage? I thought second seal was just to switch classes to whatever a character in question isn't currently.

It works. You could even have a level 10+ promoted class go back to a level 1 of that same class/tier with a Second Seal.

ohlawd

You can switch to the same class but only if they're lvl 20, applies for either promotes or unpromotes.
lvl 30 if they're a special class.

Was thinking about picking this up, been a while since I played/enjoyed a SRPG. Made a couple calls and was blown away by the fact that no one has this game instock. I finally found a GS that got 2 copied in today, Yay!! Anyways I take it the DLC is no longer free?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Anyone know what color Morgan is as a Manakete? Maybe purple? I love the idea of an all-dragon army. Tiki is friggin BLINDING to look at.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Started another playthrough (the one I was planning out yesterday). First two Anna shops have second seals.

imokaywiththis.jpg

ohlawd

Was thinking about picking this up, been a while since I played/enjoyed a SRPG. Made a couple calls and was blown away by the fact that no one has this game instock. I finally found a GS that got 2 copied in today, Yay!! Anyways I take it the DLC is no longer free?

yup the first DLC is no longer free. I think the free promotion ended a couple days ago.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So I'm barely on chapter 11 with a Hero Class donnel... he's pretty much soloing the game at this point *on hard*
Nowi is his waifu they acted cute together so they get to be together :3

Negator

If I want Swordmaster skills, is it generally better to just get to level 10 and then promote to get the skills as fast as possible, or to go all the way to level 20 and then promote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom