• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMink

are you having money issues or something? :p

I feel that the game pumps out plenty of cash by the time you run out of uses for your starting equipment.

then you realize this game has terrible map design and there's no variety in mission objectives.

or that the characters are written solely so every stereotypical role in anime is filled in

and that the game is unbalanced as fuck in Lunatic.

But it's still my favorite FE. dafaq is wrong with me.

Im just so frustrated and its just pilling on that my crap is breaking

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This game is so awesome.

Aw6lsY5.jpg
Thanks for reminding me that Gaius died on my last mission.

Everyone seems to rag against the maps and I disagree, yeah they don't have destructible walls or elevation (elevation was the dumbest thing ever in Radiant Dawn) but there are still lots of strategy to be had.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Everyone seems to rag against the maps and I disagree, yeah they don't have destructible walls or elevation (elevation was the dumbest thing ever in Radiant Dawn) but there are still lots of strategy to be had.

The maps aren't horrible, but a lot of them a very simplistic. I feel like the paralouge maps helps a lot with this, they add much needed variety, but the main story maps are very simple at times.

I hated the elevation too, personally top map design for me was Path of Radiance.

ohlawd

So once my Taguel and Manakete are level 20 is that it for them since I can't reclass?

no, they can go up to lvl 30 and you'll be able to reclass them as long as they're lvl 10 or higher.

They can make it to 30 I believe. You can also reclass them to the same class (I think don't quote me since this is the first run through I'm using them).

you can reclass them back to the same class if they're lvl 30.

Gestahl

I gotta ask, since there seem to be a lot of longtime FE fans in here: Is Sacred Stones worth going back to after this? I got lucky with getting a used Ambassador 3DS and I dropped the game a couple hours in because I couldn't help myself after seeing screens of Awakening.

It's fine as long you don't grind, I did a no grind hardmode run recently and it helped reevaluate my opinion of the game. Seeing
Ballista Boats
definitely upped it a couple of ranks because of how fucking insane an idea it is

Javier

I gotta ask, since there seem to be a lot of longtime FE fans in here: Is Sacred Stones worth going back to after this? I got lucky with getting a used Ambassador 3DS and I dropped the game a couple hours in because I couldn't help myself after seeing screens of Awakening.
You will definitely miss some features, but it's a good game considering the time and system it was made for.

Heck, I'd say every FE game all the way back to FE4 have aged pretty well.

Finished chapter 7 but had to restart once after getting Cordelia killed.

Hoping the RNG goddess blesses her with good stats since I'm going to need more good units badly. Really does not help that the only characters I still have that are surviving these chapters are MU, Chrom, Frederick, Lissa, and suprisingly Gaius + Kellam. Everyone else are basically on the bench unless they want to actually die.

ohlawd

If I'm going to reclass Panne should I do it at 10 or 15 and to what? Don't say Thief->Assassin since that's going to be my MU (her husband).

if Assassin is out and since Trickster isn't really worth it.... Wyvern Rider's your only option.

at lvl 15, Panne learns Beastbane but that's a pointless skill when Panne's not a Taguel. But at that level, exp gain is still pretty good so really it's up to you when to reclass her.

ohlawd

Yeah, honestly, it was more of a question of if the skill was worth waiting 5 more levels to reclass.

it's worth thinking about when you reclass her at lvl 14 or lower (thus not learning Beastbane) and after a bunch of reclassing you decide to reclass her back to a Taguel. Exp gain would be a lot slower so it'll take longer to learn Beastbane.

eh that's only if you're paranoid on getting every skill on a unit or something lol.

Oh, of course she'll be going back to Taguel eventually. How else am I supposed to kill everything with an adorable family of fluffy killer bunnies if said family won't transform into bunnies? It's a shame Yarne's paralogue is one of the hardest since I'd like to have him with me as soon as possible.

Chapter 19 is owning me.. I'm playing on Casual normal and I honestly can't beat it. Should I just get a
wyrmslayer
for like everyone in my party? Any tips?

Man how are you guys putting so many hours into this, what are you doing exactly, I just want to open up and complete all the side missions (which I messed up on already) and complete the main story, that should be around 30-40 hrs Im guessing, 160 hrs +, wow!!

Busaiku

If you try to level up every character equally, get optimal skills/stats for children, and then eventually maxing out stats, it takes time

Man how are you guys putting so many hours into this, what are you doing exactly, I just want to open up and complete all the side missions (which I messed up on already) and complete the main story, that should be around 30-40 hrs Im guessing, 160 hrs +, wow!!
Well, just doing the bolded (ok, and basically leveling up everyone) is on pace to net me 70+ hours on a single playthrough... Between the DLC and multiple playthroughs, double that doesn't seem unreasonable.

GeekyDad

I gotta say I'm a little disappointed with the reclass system. It means you can keep leveling up forever which leads to abuse. If you grind a little using reclass you can make unbeatable characters since they keep their base stats and level up super quickly. Kinda breaks the balance of the game. Well, at least there's stats cap so people don't abuse it too much.

So, do you guys abuse the reclass system? I'm considering ignoring it altogether and play the game like the old days, only using reclass if I genuinely want a class change.

Yup. Nothing you said is untrue.

That being said, breaking the game offers its own rewards. I equate it to Chapter 4 and beyond in FFT. Well...you can break FFT very early on, but Cid kinda curb stomps the point into the ground. But it's fun. It's fun being godly, especially after you work hard to get there.

Of course, FFT has more to offer in that regard, since there's so much to tinker with in terms of abilities, jobs, etc. I still had a ton of fun with this. It does get a little boring, though, later on when you can pretty much send one couple in to knock down an entire battlefield like pins on a bowling lane.

In spite of all the power you get in this game, and all the abuse you can muster, it still only takes one assassin with Lethality to send a unit to Valhalla.

Busaiku

Lunatic makes me want o kill myself.
I never would've made it beyond chapter 1 if I didn't get a critical (8%).

But now I can spend my days never figuring out how to do chapter 2.

Meanwhile, the enemies are consistently hitting 7% criticals...
Like every other reset...

I can't believe Frederick has lower stats than the enemies on chapter 2...

Gestahl

Yup. Nothing you said is untrue.

That being said, breaking the game offers its own rewards. I equate it to Chapter 4 and beyond in FFT. Well...you can break FFT very early on, but Cid kinda curb stomps the point into the ground. But it's fun. It's fun being godly, especially after you work hard to get there.

Of course, FFT has more to offer in that regard, since there's so much to tinker with in terms of abilities, jobs, etc. I still had a ton of fun with this. It does get a little boring, though, later on when you can pretty much send one couple in to knock down an entire battlefield like pins on a bowling lane.

In spite of all the power you get in this game, and all the abuse you can muster, it still only takes one assassin with Lethality to send a unit to Valhalla.

I would probably be more forgiving towards the game if it was completely broken due to insane spergy shit like the Calculator class instead of the boring Pair Up/Murder Everything problem this game ends up quickly devolving into yeah

Note: Both spoilers contain future DLC spoilers.

Isn't
Priam
the
second gen kid
I am talking about?

Ahh interesting, so he's one of those perma characters.
The Yen'fay we get later through DLC is from the same future the kids are from. When you said 2nd gen I thought you were referring to him. I'm not sure where/when exactly Priam comes from, the game only hints at certain things to my knowledge.

Wait, what? I thought that was the case with all the parents. At least the supports seem to indicate as much.
Some of them are still alive in the future, Lissa for example. But "our" Say'ri died long ago in the future that the kids are from, before having a chance to have a child. The Shepherd's involvement in the war in Valm has already changed that aspect of the future, that's why Robin can have a child with her. (I think her Morgan comes from the an alternate future, the same way he/she does if one of the kids is his/her parent. I'm not 100% sure about that though.

Jachaos

Lunatic makes me want o kill myself.
I never would've made it beyond chapter 1 if I didn't get a critical (8%).

But now I can spend my days never figuring out how to do chapter 2.

Meanwhile, the enemies are consistently hitting 7% criticals...
Like every other reset...

I can't believe Frederick has lower stats than the enemies on chapter 2...

Give a sword to Frederick (MU's), pair Stahl with him, run for the bottom-western fort, hold the fort. When the first part's cleared, go for the bridge and wait at the edge of the enemy's range. When all set (Brought the rest of the characters up, etc.) rush the top-western fort with Frederick. Get back to your group with him and finish the boss off with your whole group.

Edit : It's how I did it, thanks to the help of another user here. One of the toughest missions on my Lunatic playthrough. Few were harder, though that's with playing Champions of Yore 1 about 15 times and using the Renown Awards (under 1000 renown points).

CSX

grinding supports, waiting for future dlc...145 hours logged in

Im just destroying all the teams i come by through spotpass in my Uni.

Though now its spring break so i expect some to be caught up :p

As I've only played Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn (I played a couple minutes of Sacred Stones, I might eventually get to it), there are some things that I loved about those, which probably aren't a common thing in the franchise, but I'm missing those a lot. The Laguz were really great,and Taguel/Manaketes here just don't really compare for me. I liked that the Laguz had a set meter in which they could transform, and were otherwise weakened, so you had to plan around that and have more interesting strategies.
Another thing I loved about the Laguz was about how much variety there was. There were a lot of different types, and even among the units of each unit, there was a greater degree of variety.
The Dragonstones/Beaststones are different, not necessarily bad or anything, but I just don't like this system nearly as much.

Tying into that last point, it would've been nice if class changes could have been reflected in the character portraits as well, as they were in Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn. But again, I know that there would've had to have been a lot more work for this.

The transforming stone system is the FE standard and the Tellius games are the only ones that deviated from it. I didn't like the transform meter system since it rendered beast units useless for half the battle in PoR, and made Cats a lot less useful in RD since their meter would drain so quickly. Also it was hard to level up the Laguz since they were treated as promoted units and gained little EXP. The stone system on the other hand is basically just another weapon type. I wouldn't mind the meter system if they could implement it better.

And I assume you mean different portaits for Lord characters, because no one changed portraits in Tellius except for two or three people. Ike, Micaiah, and I think Sothe.

Velcro Fly

Playing through paralogue chapters now. Just cleared chapter 16 in the story. I must say I'm enjoying the game more and more. I just love the dialogue between parent and child. I guess it's time for me to grind up some more supports so I can unlock more paralogues.

Also my Donnel is so good. I don't even know how it happened. I leveled him up to 15 as a villager and 10 as a mercenary. I made him a hero and now he's maybe level 3 or 4 doing that. I paired him up with Tharja because their first support convo was hilarious and a little bit weird. And honestly I can put him at a choke point on a map and just leave him there and nothing can touch him. It's almost fun sometimes seeing units rush in at him to fight and he just wrecks everything.

I feel like I could one day get a $50 eShop card and drop it all on DLC for this game. I bought the first pack for $4 with the free map and now I'm tempted to get more. It is dangerous because I'm enjoying the DLC quite a bit.

Macka

Over a month now waiting for Play-Asia to get more stock of this game. It wasn't listed as out of stock when I ordered it goddammit!

ffdgh

Heh I wonder will this be bumped out of community for the EU release.

So far i'm loving the various character personalities in this game, so hilarious. I can't get enough of Donnel's country boy voice and mannerisms XD.

zroid

Banned
I think I'm going to make a StreetPass team without any weapons in possession. It'll be so great. Or, better yet, I'll give all the units mismatched weapon types, so people can still buy the items off me if they want.

weeee

massoluk

Banned
Ok, I think I'm burnt out of this game. 157 Hours played time. Twice beaten, One hard-casual, one hard-classic, no one left behind both times, All paralogues released done, I think I've taken every joy I could get from this game. First morning in a while that I woke up not thinking "Where's my Fire Emblem?"

Sounds like you should take a healthy rest then.

Maybe come back when all the DLC has been released. If you like the game that much, I'm sure you'll enjoy the final bunch of DLC.

Turok_TTZ

Ok, I think I'm burnt out of this game. 157 Hours played time. Twice beaten, One hard-casual, one hard-classic, no one left behind both times, All paralogues released done, I think I've taken every joy I could get from this game. First morning in a while that I woke up not thinking "Where's my Fire Emblem?"

I've more hours than you, 170+ hours. play lunatic and enjoy spending 50+ more hours in the game :D. USE FREDERICK.

Can I replace my avatar with Marth or am I gonna rub peeps here the wrong way if I do so based on possible spoilage?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Made it through chapter 4 on lunatic.

Levels:
Chrom: 9
MU: 9
Lissa: 8
Frederick: 3
Sumia: 2
Miriel: 3
Lon'qu: 4 (obviously)
Virion: 3
Kellam: 5
Sully: 3
Stahl: 2
Vaike: 5

Ch 4 was relatively simple: I mostly paired my MU with Chrom (B level support) and picked off enemies 1 by 1, with other characters finishing enemies off when their HP was low enough.

Frederick served as a defensive shield. Sumia served as a speed boost for units that needed it (to reduce an enemy unit down to 1 attack). Lissa for healing duty.

Now to grind through CoY 1 once or twice, and recruit Donny...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So is there any order I should go in for the child paralogues? Are they all about equal in difficulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom