• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gestahl

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I tend to think "buy tome in shop, render Lunatic meaningless" is a wee bit more broken than "use Seth in the earlygame" or "grind a bunch."

Draxal

The GBA are good enough. The only thing is they really feel weaker than the others.
Sacred Stones is probably the GBA one that stands because they brought back some of the key elements that disappeared the 2 previous ones. Blazing Sword and Fuuin no Tsurugi were a huge step backward because of the departure of Shouzou Kaga I guess and you immediately feel that especially if you played the previous ones before. I don't know what changed but it seems that Intelligent System recovered since then and finally they were able to make a Fire Emblem in the series heyday with Path of Radiance which was the comeback we all were waiting for.

Thracia introduced many interesting gameplay aspect. The fatigue system made the game harsh but also more intense and I loved that. People may hate that but I think that no one would disagree that Thracia is still the episode that has one the most advanced gameplay system. Also having played FE4 before is a huge plus because of the characters.

I would say that FE9&10 have the best world/story, FE5 has the best gameplay and FE4 has one of the best gameplay and story. The story in 4 was in no way complex but, oh boy I even shed tears in that game. The story telling and the characters were able to make the cold me cry. No other game did it.

With that said, I really must play again 4 and 5 to see what I think of them today but the Super Famicom cartridges are still in my parents house so I need to bring them one of these days.

Thracia is like Shadow Dragon in that it sold so poorly; that they had to pretty much change how they were looking at the series (the fact that it was on a dead system was one part, the other part was that it was too tough for the majority of the fans), and it ended up with pretty much a return to FE1 style in Binding Blade.

I'll be honest with you I could never get into Path of Radiance as I thought the gameplay was to slow.

And I'll honestly put up this fire emblem up with anything else (second seals break the gameplay more then anything), the presentation values of this game is just way superior compared to any other one.

ultron87

Anyone know why I wouldn't be getting my friends' actual teams when I Streetpass them? I keep getting the random generic tactician dudes, even though I'm fairly certain we both have Streetpass teams set up.

And I'll honestly put up this fire emblem up with anything else (second seals break the gameplay more then anything), the presentation values of this game is just way superior compared to any other one.
I'm not nearly as experienced with the series as some of you guys here on GAF (played through FE7 multiple times, FE8, briefly played SD, FE4, and Path of Radiance) but of all the ones I've played Awakening is my favorite. I won't deny that the presentation plays a big part in that, either. I admit that the game has some pretty serious flaws in terms of game balance but I've been able to mitigate most of that stuff with my playstyle choices so it hasn't been much of an issue to me. I just love the way everything comes together in this game.

massoluk

Banned
As mentioned before, I decided to take a break from Awakening. Now I have decided to go back to Sacred Stones that has been sitting on my Ambassadored 3DS XL forever. Didn't finish it on my GBA cartridge, hopefullly I'll get through the game this time.

As expected, Seth destroyed every xp in the maps... :\ Can't live with him, can't proceed with out him. If there's a pair-up mechanic, Seth would be support Ross full time, Ross's fucking weak.

Soulhouf

Thracia is like Shadow Dragon in that it sold so poorly; that they had to pretty much change how they were looking at the series (the fact that it was on a dead system was one part, the other part was that it was too tough for the majority of the fans), and it ended up with pretty much a return to FE1 style in Binding Blade.

I'll be honest with you I could never get into Path of Radiance as I thought the gameplay was to slow.

I agree completely with this.
Fire Emblem games used to have basic graphics in particular and when they did pretty good job in that respect (Thracia) the system was already dead and other games did better before.
Awakening broke that curse by having a first class presentation so early in the plateform's life and not only the graphics. Awakening's artworks are probably my favorite, the music is gorgeous and the amount of options given to the player are astounding.

As mentioned before, I decided to take a break from Awakening. Now I have decided to go back to Sacred Stones that has been sitting on my Ambassadored 3DS XL forever. Didn't finish it on my GBA cartridge, hopefullly I'll get through the game this time.

As expected, Seth destroyed every xp in the maps... :\ Can't live with him, can't proceed with out him. If there's a pair-up mechanic, Seth would be support Ross full time, Ross's fucking weak.

Abuse the Tower of Valni level 1 for Ross!

I haven't really gotten deep into the rabbit hole of breeding characters in FE, so I'm just wondering...did I botch up Morgan by pairing my avatar with Gaius? I wanted to make the kid into either a sorcerer or sage like his ma, but turns out he showed up as a thief. I'm second sealing him into a magic class, but wondering if those thief genes ruined him. At least he'll have high speed, I guess. :(

Also, lockpick and +1 movement are somewhat convenient skills to have inherited I suppose.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't really gotten deep into the rabbit hole of breeding characters in FE, so I'm just wondering...did I botch up Morgan by pairing my avatar with Gaius? I wanted to make the kid into either a sorcerer or sage like his ma, but turns out he showed up as a thief. I'm second sealing him into a magic class, but wondering if those thief genes ruined him. At least he'll have high speed, I guess. :(

Also, lockpick and +1 movement are somewhat convenient skills to have inherited I suppose.

You didn't really screw up Morgan, but he won't really gain anything from that parent.

You did inadvertently screw another kid out of Galeforce though, since Donnel and Gaius are the only two males (aside from a male avatar) that pass Pegasus Knight down to their kids, so ideally you would want to pair them with Sully, Tharja, or Nowi.

The importance of skill inheritance and stat changes based on parent selection is incredibly overblown in my opinion.

I think it depends on what your goal is. If you're playing on Lunatic or planning to use the party for the later, challenging DLC, it's worthwhile.

Still, in any case, you're probably better off doing that on a replay than trying to do all that perfect on your first playthrough.

It is so easy to break the game on Normal that worrying a ton about any of this stuff seems unneeded. I assume it matters more on harder difficulties.
It might matter on Lunatic (haven't tried that myself) but it definitely doesn't on Hard. I didn't worry about what I passed to the kids or who their parents were and all of the ones I decided to use ended up as unstoppable machines.

I think it depends on what your goal is. If you're playing on Lunatic or planning to use the party for the later, challenging DLC, it's worthwhile.
Yeah, I'm mostly just saying in general it is way overblown. I can't imagine it being that important unless you are actively trying to break the game, but maybe there will be some DLC to convince me that I'm wrong eventually. And honestly I'm even a little skeptical of it being that important in Lunatic.

I just really don't think the game was balanced with that type of methodical playstyle in mind. In my opinion the game becomes boring when you focus too much on that stuff. I know that's what some people are into, though.

Soulhouf

You didn't really screw up Morgan, but he won't really gain anything from that parent.

You did inadvertently screw another kid out of Galeforce though, since Donnel and Gaius are the only two males (aside from a male avatar) that pass Pegasus Knight down to their kids, so ideally you would want to pair them with Sully, Tharja, or Nowi.

Screw Galeforce, you don't really need it for every character.
The game becomes really boring when you start grinding and planning to do that.
My advice is pair your characters with whom you like.

Also there is no way to screw up Morgan. He/she is powerful enough no matter the person you pair your MU with.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It might matter on Lunatic (haven't tried that myself) but it definitely doesn't on Hard. I didn't worry about what I passed to the kids or who their parents were and all of the ones I decided to use ended up as unstoppable machines.

Yeah, I'm mostly just saying in general it is way overblown. I can't imagine it being that important unless you are actively trying to break the game, but maybe there will be some DLC to convince me that I'm wrong eventually. And honestly I'm even a little skeptical of it being that important in Lunatic.

I just really don't think the game was balanced with that type of methodical playstyle in mind. In my opinion the game becomes boring when you focus too much on that stuff. I know that's what some people are into, though.

IIRC it is pretty much required for Strongest One's Name, or whatever they'll translate that to. Not sure about the other post-game tier DLC though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, interesting. Challenge accepted, I guess. :p

That DLC doesn't scale with difficulty. So it's technically Lunatic+ even if your game was played on normal. Which includes the Lunatic+ skills that activate 100% of the time (Aegis, Pavis, Vantage, Luna) and Hawkeye (attacks never miss). And the enemies happily break stat caps.

kHqMFHX.jpg

D'oh. Well that's okay...I'm basically only worried about not turning my characters into useless muppets, not so concerned about maxing them into unstoppable juggernauts.

I plan on really looking into this stuff on my Lunatic run. I've been getting by on Hard pretty well just winginng it so far.

Althane

So I managed to magically find a physical copy of the game, and so I've just started. I'm at Chapter 3, and I'm just wondering if there's anything I should know strategically before venturing forth. The last FE game I played was Sacred Stones, and I'm not exactly well versed in character/support building in FE.

Loving the characters so far though.

That DLC doesn't scale with difficulty. So it's technically Lunatic+ even if your game was played on normal. Which includes the Lunatic+ skills that activate 100% of the time (Aegis, Pavis, Vantage, Luna) and Hawkeye (attacks never miss). And the enemies happily break stat caps.

kHqMFHX.jpg
My problem is, is it really worth breaking the game and playing through the entire thing just to set up a party for some DLC down the road? For me the answer is no, because I would probably just bore myself trying. Don't get me wrong, I'll give some consideration to what skills the children inherit in my Lunatic playthrough, but I just don't know if it's worth all of the grinding and class changing to make sure they all get the absolute optimal skills.

Soulhouf

dlc1122_ss2.jpg

I could be wrong but I don't think Galeforce will be of a big help against that sort of enemies since you need to beat them in your turn to activate it. So you'll need to put more useful skills instead.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I could be wrong but I don't think Galeforce will be of a big help against that sort of enemies since you need to beat them in your turn to activate it. So you'll need to put more useful skills instead.

The idea of having galeforce in a scenario like that would be something like attack with one unit, finish it off with another that has galeforce. Then have that unit attack another enemy, then have another unit with galeforce finish them off. Rinse-repeat. Even if every character isn't killing two units per turn it can still be useful.

My problem is, is it really worth breaking the game and playing through the entire thing just to set up a party for some DLC down the road? For me the answer is no, because I would probably just bore myself trying. Don't get me wrong, I'll give some consideration to what skills the children inherit in my Lunatic playthrough, but I just don't know if it's worth all of the grinding and class changing to make sure they all get the absolute optimal skills.

Well, that's why I said it would be better for another playthrough. If you're the sort of person who is going to attempt that stuff you're probably also not going to mind starting another file for it?

And grinding should be really easy with some of the DLC. I haven't even used the experience DLC, just using Champions of Yore 3 I could take unused, unpromoted units 20-30 levels and catch them up with the rest of my party in little time at all. And if you turn off unplayed turns and use auto-battle when possible it goes even faster, though obviously that's not particularly fun. Really fast though.

lupinko

This game is simply brilliant, I don't know why I didn't play FE earlier.

lol the game was trying to force Sumia onto Chrom, but my Selvaria put the kibosh on that!

I still don't get why the game offers bilingual dub yet the Japanese audio is only limited to cutscenes and not the game itself. That just defeats the purpose of having a bilingual dub really. =/

Moonlight

Banned
It's a glitch. Every time that you put the 3DS into sleep mode or restart the game, the voices change to English aside from cutscenes. You need to reset and change the voice language to English and then back to Japanese to fix it. It's quite a hassle.

Question about marriage and children: I know that only certain females have a child associated with them. If you choose your avatar to be a female, does she have any unique children options?

Anyone know why I wouldn't be getting my friends' actual teams when I Streetpass them? I keep getting the random generic tactician dudes, even though I'm fairly certain we both have Streetpass teams set up.

I don't think this was answered, but apparently there's a glitch possibly caused by including legacy characters in your team and/or your weapons containing certain "illegal" words (eg. "Killer" Lance).

Question about marriage and children: I know that only certain females have a child associated with them. If you choose your avatar to be a female, does she have any unique children options?
Your Avatar always has a child called Morgan. If you have a male Avatar, you get Morgan plus the female's child. If your Avatar is female, you just get Morgan.

Moonlight

Banned
I suppose in a sense. A male Avatar will get a female child and a female Avatar will get a male child. Both are distinct characters in their own right with different personalities and different supports. Although the female child is the better one. Not from a stat standpoint or anything, there's no real difference aside from some class options, but she's just... better.

I suppose in a sense. A male Avatar will get a female child and a female Avatar will get a male child. Both are distinct characters in their own right with different personalities and different supports. Although the female child is the better one. Not from a stat standpoint or anything, there's no real difference aside from some class options, but she's just... better.

Hunh, that's pretty interesting. I'm impressed they'd go so far as to create two distinctly different characters with the male/female versions of Robin and Morgan. Just another thing to experiment with on a second playthrough. :)

It really feels they went all out on this game after the somewhat lackluster DS entries. Clearly an inspired labor of love, IMO.

lupinko

That's odd, I could have sworn that my female Avatar gave birth to a female child, hmmm.

ultron87

I don't think this was answered, but apparently there's a glitch possibly caused by including legacy characters in your team and/or your weapons containing certain "illegal" words (eg. "Killer" Lance).

Hmm, that's annoying. I'll have to look what my friend has on her team to see if we can figure out why it isn't transferring.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

From what I've read over on gamefaqs, its pretty much all but confirmed theres a glitch in the NA version of the game in regards to spotpass characters and streetpass. People have been able to replicate and fix it pretty easily by adding/removing spotpass characters.

I am curious how DLC works though. I know Dread Fighters show up as if they were Grand Masters and are titled Outrealm Class, but does that character still have the same stats/weapon access as the actual dread fighter? That and skills. Are DLC skills a wasted spot, or will my characters actually get a benefit from Limit Break (when its released), if the person I streetpass with doesnt have that DLC?

zroid

Banned
Absolutely. That shines through in every aspect of the game.

What really shines through the most is the sheer dedication to getting newcomers into this series, and clearly it's worked very, very well.

Almost every design decision seems focused on making it more accessible, for better or worse. Overall, it's probably more for the better because, as people say, Fire Emblem games tend to come in pairs, and IntSys will now likely have free rein to reintroduce some of the more hardcore elements to the next 3DS entry without having to worry as much about alienating a potential expanded audience. These players will already have familiarized themselves with the core gameplay in Awakening, and will be ready for what's to come.

A more popular Fire Emblem series will mean bigger budgets, and an overall better Fire Emblem series for everyone.

What really shines through the most is the sheer dedication to getting newcomers into this series, and clearly it's worked very, very well.

Almost every design decision seems focused on making it more accessible, for better or worse. Overall, it's probably more for the better because, as people say, Fire Emblem games tend to come in pairs, and IntSys will now likely have free rein to reintroduce some of the more hardcore elements to the next 3DS entry without having to worry as much about alienating a potential expanded audience. These players will already have familiarized themselves with the core gameplay in Awakening, and will be ready for what's to come.

A more popular Fire Emblem series will mean bigger budgets, and an overall better Fire Emblem series for everyone.

I have friends who've never heard of Fire Emblem outside of Marth/Roy/Ike picking this game up. Would love to see all this popularity and sales translate into a full fledged Fire Emblem HD title for WiiU. Yeah I know we're getting SMT x FE but for all we know it could be a fighting game.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have friends who've never heard of Fire Emblem outside of Marth/Roy/Ike picking this game up. Would love to see all this popularity and sales translate into a full fledged Fire Emblem HD title for WiiU. Yeah I know we're getting SMT x FE but for all we know it could be a fighting game.

I wouldn't be shocked at a WiiU Fire Emblem title. Both Gamecube and the Wii got their own Fire Emblems.

I wouldn't be shocked at a WiiU Fire Emblem title. Both Gamecube and the Wii got their own Fire Emblems.

Yes but there is a possibility Nintendo may feel FE + 3DS = Gold mine and might want to pump out another FE for that system first viewing the cross over as the console Fire Emblem.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

I do think solely based on FE:A's success, future Fire Emblem games will likely be a lot more accessible than many of the previous ones were. Perhaps not as easy to break as awakening, but you know what I mean. I'll be shocked if they don't include similar difficulty modes in most every future FE for example.

Hell, that was one of the things that turned me off of the series until awakening. The difficulty. I have such a crazy huge backlog, I dont often enjoy playing particularly hard games

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yes but there is a possibility Nintendo may feel FE + 3DS = Gold mine and might want to pump out another FE for that system first viewing the cross over as the console Fire Emblem.

Maybe, but a proper Fire Emblem for WiiU would just be so good. Map and movement through the touch pad and a HD rendering of the battle field and fights on the TV.

zroid

Banned
I do think solely based on FE:A's success, future Fire Emblem games will likely be a lot more accessible than many of the previous ones were. Perhaps not as easy to break as awakening, but you know what I mean. I'll be shocked if they don't include similar difficulty modes in most every future FE for example.

Hell, that was one of the things that turned me off of the series until awakening. The difficulty. I have such a crazy huge backlog, I dont often enjoy playing particularly hard games

You're right, I don't see Casual mode going away, for example; but in terms of details like variable objectives, map size, and other strategic tools which may have been removed from Awakening to simplify it, I very much believe those things will be coming back, perhaps with some new features as well.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
You're right, I don't see Casual mode going away, for example; but in terms of details like variable objectives, map size, and other strategic tools which may have been removed from Awakening to simplify it, I very much believe those things will be coming back, perhaps with some new features as well.

Not even just casual mode, but having normal/hard/lunatic. I see something *like* that continuing on as well.

Draxal

Imagine a Fire Emblem game looking as good as the cutscenes in FE:A.

I love Int Systems, but they aren't Crytek.

Not even just casual mode, but having normal/hard/lunatic. I see something *like* that continuing on as well.

Have had it since like 9. Casual came in 12 (awakening is 13).

In all honesty, with how well the 3ds is doing compared to the WiiU, I think it's much more likely to follow up with Awakening's success. Already has outsold Radiant Dawn in America, and is going to pass Path of Radiance. (Using guesstimated numbers from a not trustworthy source).

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Have had it since like 9. Casual came in 12 (awakening is 13).

Huh. This fanbase is terrible at selling the series then because all I ever heard was about how the FE games were so hard. How do FE9 and FE10 compare difficulty wise normal to Awakening's Normal (ignoring how breakable Awakening is)?

lupinko

Huh. This fanbase is terrible at selling the series then because all I ever heard was about how the FE games were so hard. How do FE9 and FE10 compare difficulty wise normal to Awakening's Normal (ignoring how breakable Awakening is)?

I don't think this game is hard at all, and this is the first FE game I've played (I don't think playing 3 early missions of Sacred Stones really counts). I'm playing it on Hard+Classic to boot, and will probably do a lunatic run later on.

Then again I've played years and years of SRW dating back to SRWF/F Final.

So really FE is a cakewalk for me to be blunt.

But a delicious and very entertaining one at that! More so than SRW even.

Just to follow up on my labor of love comment before, I really appreciate all these minor details they got right, too. My favorite example is the "Fast Forward" button during battle animations. Including the option to turn animations on/off in the first place (and even for SPECIFIC CHARACTERS) was already a great service to us fans, but to also incorporate a ff button is just an overkill of awesome.

You can tell they really thought out each aspect of the game very thoroughly. Either that, or they recruited a kickass focus group or set of QTs.

The GBA are good enough. The only thing is they really feel weaker than the others.
Sacred Stones is probably the GBA one that stands because they brought back some of the key elements that disappeared the 2 previous ones. Blazing Sword and Fuuin no Tsurugi were a huge step backward because of the departure of Shouzou Kaga I guess and you immediately feel that especially if you played the previous ones before. I don't know what changed but it seems that Intelligent System recovered since then and finally they were able to make a Fire Emblem in the series heyday with Path of Radiance which was the comeback we all were waiting for.

They were prepping FE6 to introduce the Western audience to the series, so they cut it down to basics. And hey, FE7 has that cool multi-lord mode that no game has done since.

It really feels they went all out on this game after the somewhat lackluster DS entries. Clearly an inspired labor of love, IMO.

Hey! :mad: Don't you go assuming the second one was lackluster! It was actually quite good, and introduced a number of features we have in Awakening.

It's confirmed to be an RPG of some kind.

FE9's normal is harder than Awakening's normal, but not really by much. If you managed Awakening you can definitely manage PoR.
FE10 normal is not normal. FE10 normal is hard mode disguised as normal mode. However, if you don't know that, as most of us didn't, it's still manageable. It's a lot easier than Awakening's hard mode at any rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom