• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! :mad: Don't you go assuming the second one was lackluster! It was actually quite good, and introduced a number of features we have in Awakening.

Yeah, I actually enjoyed it, too. In fact, I enjoyed every FE game I've played, including Shadow Dragon. It's just that the DS games pale in comparison to its predecessors. Mystery was a big step up, but it's probably still my second least favorite Fire Emblem game. Not fair of me to lump the two together.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Hunh, that's pretty interesting. I'm impressed they'd go so far as to create two distinctly different characters with the male/female versions of Robin and Morgan. Just another thing to experiment with on a second playthrough. :)

It really feels they went all out on this game after the somewhat lackluster DS entries. Clearly an inspired labor of love, IMO.

Inspired by pies.

Sweet, delicious pies.

(It's amazing how many supports in this game revolve around pastries or sweets)

Busaiku

Honestly, I don't find grinding in EXPonetial Growth to be optimal.
It's better for lower levels for sure, but given what's out, I'm gonna assume stuff like the Ike DLC map is probably gonna be best.

Aexact

I suppose in a sense. A male Avatar will get a female child and a female Avatar will get a male child. Both are distinct characters in their own right with different personalities and different supports. Although the female child is the better one. Not from a stat standpoint or anything, there's no real difference aside from some class options, but she's just... better.
She's a jerk, that's what she is. I can only imagine people who like Morgan(F) are people who also like jerks like Severa.

Who is terrible.
But her class sets are ridiculously good so I grudgingly field her.

ultron87

She's a jerk, that's what she is. I can only imagine people who like Morgan(F) are people who also like jerks like Severa.

Who is terrible.

What?! She's not a jerk! Who is she a jerk to?

...but her and Severa as sisters is awesome.

Moonlight

Banned

Who is terrible.
...how is she a jerk? She's probably one of the sweetest characters in the game.

I've done literally every support possible with her (aside from the variations on the sibling support) and she's literally the least malevolent/antagonistic character in the game. Aside from like, Olivia or something.

Oh, i pity you people who have voices turned off, or in Japanese. You've missed out on some gems.

(paraphrased)
Chrom: Don't tell me you've been going out to do scouting on your own!
Lissa: So... it would be okay if I didn't tell you?
Chrom: THINK AGAIN.

I literally burst out laughing at this.

Aexact

...how is she a jerk? She's probably one of the sweetest characters in the game.

I've done literally every support possible with her (aside from the variations on the sibling support) and she's literally the least malevolent/antagonistic character in the game. Aside from like, Olivia or something.
I did her S-rank with Inigo and Owain and wasn't feeling it. Her S-rank with Inigo was casually mean-spirited (though he might've deserved it) and a bit of a killjoy to the second. Her silly antics don't win me over!

The other overlapping supports (father/mother) I already saw with Morgan(M) so I didn't associate it with Morgan(F).

lupinko

Oh, i pity you people who have voices turned off, or in Japanese. You've missed out on some gems.

(paraphrased)
Chrom: Don't tell me you've been going out to do scouting on your own!
Lissa: So... it would be okay if I didn't tell you?
Chrom: THINK AGAIN.

I literally burst out laughing at this.

Even if you have the game set to Japanese, all the in-game dialogue that is not in cutscenes is still English voiced regardless.

Moonlight

Banned
Even if you have the game set to Japanese, all the in-game dialogue that is not in cutscenes is still English voiced regardless.
It's a glitch. Every time that you put the 3DS into sleep mode or restart the game, the voices change to English aside from cutscenes. You need to reset and change the voice language to English and then back to Japanese to fix it. It's quite a hassle.

Seems you missed it. It's not meant to be that way.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
My Morgan shakes her hips while idle just like her mama, having inherited thief class from Anna. Givin' her daddy some impure thoughts.

Moonlight

Banned
I did her S-rank with Inigo and Owain and wasn't feeling it. Her S-rank with Inigo was casually mean-spirited (though he might've deserved it) and a bit of a killjoy to the second. Her silly antics don't win me over!

The other overlapping supports (father/mother) I already saw with Morgan(M) so I didn't associate it with Morgan(F).
I loved her support with Inigo, actually - enough to S-Rank them. And 'casually mean-spirited' pretty much defines all of Inigo's supports. I don't think there's literally any support with Inigo except perhaps a sibling (and Olivia's) support where the other party doesn't criticize or make fun of Inigo and his womanizing. Morgan, at least, gives him the time of day.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
My Morgan shakes her hips while idle just like her mama, having inherited thief class from Anna. Givin' her daddy some impure thoughts.

Morgan is too platonically kawaii for me to be thinking impure thoughts.

ultron87

I loved her support with Inigo, actually - enough to S-Rank them. And 'casually mean-spirited' pretty much defines all of Inigo's supports. I don't think there's literally any support with Inigo except perhaps a sibling (and Olivia's) support where the other party doesn't criticize or make fun of Inigo and his womanizing. Morgan, at least, gives him the time of day.

I enjoyed Cynthia trying to cheer Inigo on. "Go get em, Tiger!"

That would call for PS4-like power. =/
No, not at all. Not sure if they CHOSE the current style over something more detailed (or is no-feet was the best they could do alone) but there are better looking 3DS games out there and atleast the Wii U could do something on the Naruto game's level.

Problem is ..
I love Int Systems, but they aren't Crytek.

And I have yet to hear of Crytek giving out w/e they made to get the Naruto results to other devs so the most we can hope for is Nintendo giving them more help+Production value as a result of it's success.

thinking about the next game makes me a bit sad ... I love the relationship system and child/ time travel set-up and I think it use a bit more hammering out. BUT I don't think it's something that's gonna return in the next game(s) so IDK where they're gonna go from here. :/

PBalfredo

In my next playthrough, I'm going to be using a FeMU. What's the order of operations as far as class changes to give Galeforce to Morgan (and Lucina, as per my current plans)? Can I go from Tactician -> Peg Knight -> Dark Flier, or can she go straight Tactician -> Dark Flier?

Moonlight

Banned
You'll need to promote into Grandmaster and then use a Second Seal to class change into a Dark Flier. It took me a bit and a lot of SpotPass runs on my Hard playthrough, but it was well worth it for a Lucina who started out with a fair bit of bonus stats and, of course, Galeforce.

Lunatic mode beat! My god, that was ridiculous. It says 33 hours on the clock, but it's probably closer to 70ish since it says 125 in the activity log, and 50 of that was hard mode.

Think I can finally say I'm done with this game. No way am I going for Lunatic+. Hell, first time I did any difficulties above hard in this series. Quite possibly my favorite Fire Emblem and a clear candidate for GOTY so far.

Lunatic mode beat! My god, that was ridiculous. It says 33 hours on the clock, but it's probably closer to 70ish since it says 125 in the activity log, and 50 of that was hard mode.

Think I can finally say I'm done with this game. No way am I going for Lunatic+. Hell, first time I did any difficulties above hard in this series. Quite possibly my favorite Fire Emblem and a clear candidate for GOTY so far.

You should totally go for Lunatic+ and give us your opinions on it. =)

Give FE12 Lunatic a try. It's even more difficult. :)

Tyeforce

I'm absolutely loving this game. I just beat it the other day, but I still need to go back and recruit all the children...and clear all my StreetPass tags that have been collecting for the last couple weeks. ._.

Anyone up for some marriage comparisons? I find it interesting to see who other people end up pairing up in their game.

Here's a chart I made for my marriages. It includes all characters that can marry, including SpotPass Paralogue characters, so don't look at it if you don't want to spoil any SpotPass Paralogue characters! It's laid out so that both first generation couples and second generation couples are grouped together by marriage and children:

http://i.imgur.com/BTwhG2T.jpg

I haven't actually married all of the children yet (obviously, since I don't have them yet, lol), but these are my marriage plans for them, lol.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Here's a chart I made for my marriages. It includes all characters that can marry, including SpotPass Paralogue characters, so don't look at it if you don't want to spoil any SpotPass Paralogue characters! It's laid out so that both first generation couples and second generation couples are grouped together by marriage and children:

http://i.imgur.com/BTwhG2T.jpg

I haven't actually married all of the children yet (obviously, since I don't have them yet, lol), but these are my marriage plans for them, lol.

Anybody that makes their Avatar marry one of the 2nd generation kids is a total creeper. I don't care how crazy awesome you want your Morgan to be.

Tyeforce

Anybody that makes their Avatar marry one of the 2nd generation kids is a total creeper. I don't care how crazy awesome you want your Morgan to be.
It's not like she's a generation younger than my Avatar, though. Not that version of her, at least. And either way, it's a game. It's not like who I decide to marry my character to in a game has anything to do with who I have sex with in real life or anything. >.>

Honestly, I only married her because it's the closest I could get to marrying Marth or Chrom, lol. I'm gay, and the game doesn't allow me to marry other guys, so I made due with the options I had. =P

It's not like she's a generation younger than my Avatar, though. Not that version of her, at least. And either way, it's a game. It's not like who I decide to marry my character to in a game has anything to do with who I have sex with in real life or anything. >.>

Honestly, I only married her because it's the closest I could get to marrying Marth or Chrom, lol. I'm gay, and the game doesn't allow me to marry other guys, so I made due with the options I had. =P

I think having one of Chrom's most trusted advisers marry his grown-up daughter is hilariously awkward and awesome. Anyone who marries one of the 2nd gen kids is a boss in my book.

Jachaos

Just picked this game up tonight...it's my first 3DS title and my first Fire Emblem title, and already I can tell I'm going to spend a long time with this one.

I'm probably not going to be too active in this thread until I'm farther in the game (and farther from spoilers), but I had a few questions. Since this is my first FE title, am I missing out on any essential lore by not having played the previous games, or does Awakening stand on its own? Is it advisable for a newb to the series to start on Hard/Classic mode? I'm no stranger to SRPGs by any stretch. Thanks.

Hard/Classic should be pretty good, I found it a bit on the easy side save for a few missions but I've beat other FE titles on their hardest difficulties so this was to be expected. For someone new to FE but not to SRPGs, I'd say it'd be the best way to go. Some of the hardest chapters are earlier ones so don't be surprised if you find it tough at first, there's not a crazy difficulty spike, the difficulty is pretty consistent all the way through.

Also, no you don't miss any essential lore. Some weapon names are named after past characters, and there may be a few minor references here and there, but you don't really miss anything story wise for this one. DLC and Spotpass teams are something else as they directly pit you against characters from past games (albeit a bit tweaked).

Enjoy the game ! One of the best in a while for me, and play it with headphones when possible ! Sounds, production value, combat scenes and depth of content are far better than previous FE games in my opinion (if you do like it, you may want to try the GC and Wii ones after that, I give the edge in story and gameplay to those titles). Awakening might just end up my GOTY, will have to see still though as there's tons of great games coming. But FE:Radiant Dawn is one my all time favourites and I've spent over 120 hours so far on this game, which is way more than I spend on the average game nowadays.

Tyeforce

I think having one of Chrom's most trusted advisers marry his grown-up daughter is hilariously awkward and awesome. Anyone who marries one of the 2nd gen kids is a boss in my book.
Plus by marrying a second generation character, you're left with an even number of second generation males and females who can marry (if your Avatar is a male and Morgan is a female, that is). No one is left loveless! lol

I hated having to leave Kellam loveless among the first generation characters (I'd say Donnel too, but he's a Paralogue character so I don't mind it too much), but of the choices he seems like the most likely to be, well...ignored, lol.

The fact that he's Chrom's most trusted adviser is what makes it not weird/awkward to me. *shrug*
Not that suddenly having a grownup daughter who soon gets married and suddenly has an almost grownup daughter of her own is normal or anything... but that's time travel for you. :lol

Hard/Classic should be pretty good, I found it a bit on the easy side save for a few missions but I've beat other FE titles on their hardest difficulties so this was to be expected. For someone new to FE but not to SRPGs, I'd say it'd be the best way to go. Some of the hardest chapters are earlier ones so don't be surprised if you find it tough at first, there's not a crazy difficulty spike, the difficulty is pretty consistent all the way through.

Also, no you don't miss any essential lore. Some weapon names are named after past characters, and there may be a few minor references here and there, but you don't really miss anything story wise for this one. DLC and Spotpass teams are something else as they directly pit you against characters from past games (albeit a bit tweaked).

Enjoy the game ! One of the best in a while for me, and play it with headphones when possible ! Sounds, production value, combat scenes and depth of content are far better than previous FE games in my opinion (if you do like it, you may want to try the GC and Wii ones after that, I give the edge in story and gameplay to those titles). Awakening might just end up my GOTY, will have to see still though as there's tons of great games coming. But FE:Radiant Dawn is one my all time favourites and I've spent over 120 hours so far on this game, which is way more than I spend on the average game nowadays.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I'm only a couple chapters in and while I've never "died" yet I've had characters die, which prompted me to reload. Not sure if that goes against the spirit of "classic" mode or not, but I'm far too OCD about that sort of thing to simply carry on after losing a unit. It still leads me to carefully consider the placement of my units, but more for the sake of not having to start the fight over again instead of losing said units forever.

GOTY material? That's a possibility. The only real competition it has at the moment for me is Ni no Kuni and SMTIV.

The fact that he's Chrom's most trusted adviser is what makes it not weird/awkward to me. *shrug*
Not that suddenly having a grownup daughter who soon gets married and suddenly has an almost grownup daughter of her own is normal or anything... but that's time travel for you. :lol

I guess that's one way to look at it. I might have to try this sometimes to see of Chrom has any reaction to it.

the whole game is embarassing. might as well go full-on creeper. being able to do that seems more important than delivering a good game balance. this is the FE of today, let's continue with the applause.

PBalfredo

"Honey, tonight can you keep the mask on?"

the whole game is embarassing. might as well go full-on creeper. being able to do that seems more important than delivering a good game balance. this is the FE of today, let's continue with the applause.

Honestly I look at it the same way I look at Terminator 1, the main character gets knocked up by the guy her future son sent back in time to protect her. For all we know he could have already existed in that time line as a young baby ala Luciana.

Also I like to think the future children came back in time DBZ style and in a sense aren't the same children the gen 1 characters have, but the same character from a different time line.

You want full-on creeper, check out Dragon's Dogma. Amazing game, but the romance angle is so totally shoed-in. You could literally make out with a 10-year-old child...not an adult child from the future, not a 1,000-year-old creature that looks 10, but an actual 10-year-old. It was fucking weird.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
You want full-on creeper, check out Dragon's Dogma. Amazing game, but the romance angle is so totally shoed-in. You could literally make out with a 10-year-old child...not an adult child from the future, not a 1,000-year-old creature that looks 10, but an actual 10-year-old. It was fucking weird.
And in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) Sonic kisses a human girl. Games have weird shit.

assalam is hotter. and funnier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom