• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The only thing you need to know is that if Chrom isn't married by the end of Chapter 11 the game will automatically force him into one with whichever girl he has the highest support level with.

Yeah, he married lame sully, who I never even use. But I haven't married anyone else off yet, and I'm around chapter 18 or 19.

Yeah, he married lame sully, who I never even use. But I haven't married anyone else off yet, and I'm around chapter 18 or 19.

Yeah you're way past the point then lol, once you clear chapter 13 all the children of S-rank marriage will start showing up in paralogue missions for you to unlock.

Javier

Have you been using the Pair Up feature? It's weird you're at this point in the game and no one has gotten married. Not even the Avatar?

commish

Son of a bitch, hahah. Seems I've been missing out. I don't use the pair-up feature at all. Time to do some grinding on supports.

Son of a bitch, hahah. Seems I've been missing out. I don't use the pair-up feature at all. Time to do some grinding on supports.

Has this game been difficult for you? I've been playing on hard difficulty and I can't imagine getting by without using that "pair-up" feature...unless I want to spend a ton of time grinding on random encounters (which I really, really don't).

Soulhouf

The game is clearly made for pairing.
Most of the enemies won't wait for you to bait them and they will all come together. That's the biggest gameplay flaw in this game for me. It's not really strategic (except for the 3-4 first chapters) but encourage you to grind and inevitably break the game.
I hope they will fix that in the next entry.

commish

Has this game been difficult for you? I've been playing on hard difficulty and I can't imagine getting by without using that "pair-up" feature...unless I want to spend a ton of time grinding on random encounters (which I really, really don't).

Yeah, I've restarted a bunch when one of my characters die (usually... there have been some sacrifices...). I'm playing on hard as well. What usually happens is that reinforcements come and one of my weaker characters is exposed and bites it. I should have probably paired them up :p

Gestahl

Most of the enemies won't wait for you to bait them and they will all come together. That's the biggest gameplay flaw in this game for me. It's not really strategic (except for the 3-4 first chapters) but encourage you to grind and inevitably break the game.

Has there been some sort of turnover at IS since Radiant Dawn? The added prologue maps in FE12 were kind of junky too (incredibly small, surrounded by aggressive enemies, P8 in-door map with 3-4 wide hallways so it may as well be a field for the difference it makes hello Walhart CH20) and I wonder if this is a problem that's not going away anytime soon.

Anteo

Sacrificed Lucina to win a battle. Do not feel bad about it.
It was that one battle where she is an ally but not in your army. And I'm in my no Grind run so I really needed someone to take some enemies.

MechaX

Okay, so if I have a FemMU who mostly uses magic, and she just hit Grandmaster level 15, should I reclass into a Dark Flier and snag Gale Force, or should I reclass into something like a Sage/Sorcerer/Dark Mage?

Soulhouf

Okay, so if I have a FemMU who mostly uses magic, and she just hit Grandmaster level 15, should I reclass into a Dark Flier and snag Gale Force, or should I reclass into something like a Sage/Sorcerer/Dark Mage?

Sorcerer is currently the strongest class in the game because of the uber dark magic, so your best bet is Dark Flier( -> Sage) -> Sorcerer or skip Dark Flier if you don't want to grind.

Get Galeforce then go to Sage for tomefaire then end in Sorcerer so you have access to dark magic. Ignis, Tomefaire, and Galeforce is seriously filthy on someone with a forged nosferatu

Still have a lot of issues with Hard/Classic mode.

In ch.5, two of your units start out isolated from the rest and completely surrounded by enemies. I can try to pair up and move to a fort and they still get one-shotted, so I'm utterly at the mercy of the RNG if I want to keep these units alive. I feel like every fight I enter is making me want to start over on either a lower difficulty or casual mode. Every time I put aside those doubts and win a fight despite the odds feels great...until I reach the next battle and have to restart from the beginning 5+ times. I can't grind any levels because all the random encounters around me are twice my level. Any suggestions?

In ch.5, two of your units start out isolated from the rest and completely surrounded by enemies. I can try to pair up and move to a fort and they still get one-shotted, so I'm utterly at the mercy of the RNG if I want to keep these units alive. I feel like every fight I enter is making me want to start over on either a lower difficulty or casual mode. Every time I put aside those doubts and win a fight despite the odds feels great...until I reach the next battle and have to restart from the beginning 5+ times. I can't grind any levels because all the random encounters around me are twice my level. Any suggestions?

Well an easy solution to your ch. 5 problem is to give Lissa a Rescue staff (you should've gotten one in an earlier chapter) then pair up Ricken and Maribelle to warp them both over to your other characters.

zroid

Banned

Though it's not the only way to save them, the rescue staff is certainly the easiest way

Anteo

Use the rescue staff you got on paralogue 1 (Teleports a ally unit next to the caster). Also either give that wind book on Ricken to Miriel or use Ricken to clear the Dragons that come rushing, they don't respawn. Frederick will make a fine wall in the choke point while everyone else clears the enemies at the west, just make sure to heal Frederick once in a while.

Well an easy solution to your ch. 5 problem is to give Lissa a Rescue staff (you should've gotten one in an earlier chapter) then pair up Ricken and Maribelle to warp them both over to your other characters.

Though it's not the only way to save them, the rescue staff is certainly the easiest way

Yeah, that's the easiest way to keep them safe. Still, personally, overall I found it better to leave them up there and instead pair up Chrom with Sumia so that they can go up there and Chrom can take care easily of the wyverns and then Ricken can help and Maribelle heals.

If you're trying to keep Chrom away from potential wives so that he can marry Olivia that'd be a problem though...

Jachaos

Yes, I like the game but the gameplay isn't up to par IMO. It's still great and fun, but Radiant Dawn was perfect for me - no shooting through walls, you could draw some enemy groups away, no reinforcements at the start of turns, limited exp, bonus exp for clearing a level faster and doing bonus objectives, limited money and items, set classes, no grinding, height variation in maps, varied objectives such as escape, burn tents, protect, survive, etc.

Yeah, that's the easiest way to keep them safe. Still, personally, overall I found it better to leave them up there and instead pair up Chrom with Sumia so that they can go up there and Chrom can take care easily of the wyverns and then Ricken can help and Maribelle heals.

If you're trying to keep Chrom away from potential wives so that he can marry Olivia that'd be a problem though...

Alright, I'll give the fight a couple more tries using Rescue this time. Hopefully this is the last fight that ups the frustration factor, otherwise I can change over to casual mode with zero guilt.

So Classic or Casual?

I recently beat Sacred Stones (my first FE game) and i absolutely hated it when anyone died. i typically reset the map but with some of the longer maps, i just sucked it up (Dozla, :(.)

then again, i've heard that classic is the "right" way to play fire emblem as it changes up the way you play. which should i pick gaf?

Moonlight

Banned
Just do Casual. Don't feel like Classic is the way you're 'supposed' to play Fire Emblem - the game gives you options for a reason and there's no reason you should feel obligated not to exercise them. When you're more comfortable with the mechanics, nuances, and feel out the game, I'd suggest Classic, but if you hate characters dying, I absolutely would not bother until you reach that point.

So Classic or Casual?

I recently beat Sacred Stones (my first FE game) and i absolutely hated it when anyone died. i typically reset the map but with some of the longer maps, i just sucked it up (Dozla, :(.)

then again, i've heard that classic is the "right" way to play fire emblem as it changes up the way you play. which should i pick gaf?

It doesn't have to change the way you play. I'm playing on Casual despite being a series veteran, and I don't let anyone die or use kamikaze tactics or anything like that. The difference is when I screw up, I can start over from a battle save halfway into the chapter instead of starting from the beginning of the chapter. Comes in handy if you made some nifty moves or got some good levels.

Draxal

It doesn't have to change the way you play. I'm playing on Casual despite being a series veteran, and I don't let anyone die or use kamikaze tactics or anything like that. The difference is when I screw up, I can start over from a battle save halfway into the chapter instead of starting from the beginning of the chapter. Comes in handy if you made some nifty moves or got some good levels.

Exactly what I do as well. Causal is more important for the ingame saves then anything else for a vet.

ffdgh

.....Is there anyone I can pair nowi with without it being so absurdly weird/creepy?
KuGsj.gif

ffdgh

Donnel is spoken for (Cordelia <3). I guess I could use ricken......for the first time in ages for something.

Edit: ....or not. Err I guess Gregor or Libra will have to do.

Gestahl

Yes, I like the game but the gameplay isn't up to par IMO. It's still great and fun, but Radiant Dawn was perfect for me - no shooting through walls, you could draw some enemy groups away, no reinforcements at the start of turns, limited exp, bonus exp for clearing a level faster and doing bonus objectives, limited money and items, set classes, no grinding, height variation in maps, varied objectives such as escape, burn tents, protect, survive, etc.

I've been playing PoR Maniac and just hit Ch 26 (the one with creepy mask guy whose identity is bloody obvious). It feels like they took that chapter (big open field) and just made it into a whole game with Awakening. There are so many roided up paladins and dragonmasters fluttering around that the only thing you can really do is take Ike with Provoke and your 4 or 5 other buff defensive units and just lame it out until the bad men go away while the other 14 units in your army cower in various corners. This isn't as apparent in NA hardmode because your prepromotes aren't as hopelessly outclassed as they are in Maniac, but all I can think while playing this chapter is hey Awakening with siege tomes and status staves. At least in PoR CH26 your other guys can pick away at the scraps around the map though.

Just do Casual. Don't feel like Classic is the way you're 'supposed' to play Fire Emblem - the game gives you options for a reason and there's no reason you should feel obligated not to exercise them. When you're more comfortable with the mechanics, nuances, and feel out the game, I'd suggest Classic, but if you hate characters dying, I absolutely would not bother until you reach that point.

IMO, your choice of casual or classic should be affected by one thing and one thing only: whether you can accept permanent unit death or not.

I've come to the conclusion that it's not about difficulty. 90% of the battles I've restarted in classic mode I could have still won if I accepted that I'd be losing the unit. I've never actually seen the gameover screen in this game. The only gameovers I've gotten came from restarts after character death.

It's less of a gameplay decision and more of a roleplay decision. For some, the fear of losing a unit adds a lot to the game and makes them carefully consider every decision. They're totally okay with accepting their losses. If you're simply restarting every encounter when a unit dies, you're not really playing classic mode as it's intended - you're playing with a self-imposed rule that if any unit dies it's an automatic gameover.

I've given serious thought to it and I'm simply not getting anything out of classic mode. I just restart if someone dies. I really don't think casual mode makes the game any "easier", so much as it cuts back on time spent replaying the same encounters over and over again. Classic mode doesn't make me think any harder about my actions than casual mode does - I'm playing an SRPG because I enjoy that sort of slow, deliberate gameplay. I don't really need to be forced to play that way.

I'm still new to the game so I'm not sure, but does losing a unit actually have any effect on the story? I'm okay with spoilers if they're necessary to answer this question.

Gestahl

Almost everyone who plays Fire Emblem resets after losing a unit, both ways are completely valid approaches to permadeath. Going with the flow or redoing the maps you most likely royally fucked up both have their merits.

Anteo

IMO, your choice of casual or classic should be affected by one thing and one thing only: whether you can accept permanent unit death or not. You could be a total FE adept but if you restart a map every time a unit dies then classic simply isn't for you.

I've come to the conclusion that it's not about difficulty. 90% of the battles I've restarted in classic mode I could have still won if I accepted that I'd be losing the unit. I've never actually seen the gameover screen in this game. The only gameovers I've gotten came from restarts after character death.

It's less of a gameplay decision and more of a roleplay decision. For some, the fear of losing a unit adds a lot to the game and makes them carefully consider every decision. They're totally okay with accepting their losses. If you're simply restarting every encounter when a unit dies, you're not really playing classic mode as it's intended - you're playing with a self-imposed rule that if any unit dies it's an automatic gameover.

I've given serious thought to it and I'm simply not getting anything out of classic mode. I just restart if someone dies. I really don't think casual mode makes the game any "easier", so much as it cuts back on time spent replaying the same encounters over and over again. Classic mode doesn't make me think any harder about my actions than casual mode does - I'm playing an SRPG because I enjoy that sort of slow, deliberate gameplay. I don't really need to be forced to play that way.

I'm still new to the game so I'm not sure, but does losing a unit actually have any effect on the story? I'm okay with spoilers if they're necessary to answer this question.

Casual gives you the option to ignore the death and continue, so your mistakes don't matter. In classic, a mistake means that you either continue with one less character (which could be your strongest character at the moment) or reset and try again. So if you are saying that reseting in classic is the same as not reseting after a death in casual then you got it all wrong.

mercviper

IMO, your choice of casual or classic should be affected by one thing and one thing only: whether you can accept permanent unit death or not. You could be a total FE adept but if you restart a map every time a unit dies then classic simply isn't for you.
I don't think you understand why people reset on deaths.

Anyway, I agree that Classic is really only there for OCD completionists and ironman playthroughs. Someone who resets on character death will play the same way in either mode. Choosing Classic and playing that way gives you verification for telling other people, "Look I didn't cheese it and throw my fodder at the masses to get through this game." That's about it though. I don't see any reason why you would steer people away from choosing classic if they reset on death.

Re: the story question. Losing a unit won't make any changes to the story. If it's a character that shows up later for a scene they'll just be injured and still show up in the scene. Exceptions are MU and Chrom because game overs.

Casual gives you the option to ignore the death and continue, so your mistakes doesn't matter. In classic, a mistake means that you either chosoe to continue with one less character (which could be your strongest character at the moment) or reset and try again. So if you are saying that reseting in classic is the same as not reseting after a death in casual then you got it all wrong.

I don't really want to argue about it, with all due respect. Just sharing my opinion.

That said, I think it depends on how much you're motivated by the prospect of punishment. I'm not.

I don't think you understand why people reset on deaths.

Anyway, I agree that Classic is really only there for OCD completionists and ironman playthroughs. Someone who resets on character death will play the same way in either mode. Choosing Classic and playing that way gives you verification for telling other people, "Look I didn't cheese it and throw my fodder at the masses to get through this game." That's about it though. I don't see any reason why you would steer people away from choosing classic if they reset on death.

Re: the story question. Losing a unit won't make any changes to the story. If it's a character that shows up later for a scene they'll just be injured and still show up in the scene. Exceptions are MU and Chrom because game overs.

I didn't mean for my post to appear as though I'm actively steering people away from classic - far from it, I totally get the appeal.

My one and only point is that classic is a roleplay setting, not a difficulty setting. Unless you're making due with every unit you lose completing the game on classic is more a statement on your patience than your tactical acumen. That is in no way a detraction from the accomplishment - it's just how I view things.

Thanks for the info on story death. So if Lissa died for example she would still appear in story sequences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom