• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

Switched to casual! I'm actually using my units to attack now instead of having them hide while Frederick handles everything. I've almost caught up to where I was before and I've only had to soldier through a unit dying once...Frederick getting one-shotted by a critical out of nowhere. Nothing I could have done to prevent that one way or the other. Feels good.

I wish there were a fine balance between classic and casual, though. Like a mode where death was still permanent but each map provided (1) bookmark that you could use at any point in the encounter.

What was he hit by?

Guys, help me! I'm too powerful which in turn is preventing me from recruiting Cynthia. She's comes to me before I can reach her and she dies as a result of my counter attacks :( Any suggestions on how to overcome situations like this?

If you make use of a paired up Olivia with a flier and either sumia or a paired up chrom with a flier you can reach her first turn

vareon

Fire Emblem Awakening launched on Feb. 4, exclusively on Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL, but bonus content keeps the game play going strong. Fans will continue to look forward to and receive free game content via SpotPass all the way through spring. This new SpotPass content is different from the downloadable content that is currently available through the game's Outrealm Gate. The free SpotPass map available today is called "A Hard Miracle," and follows the story of Fire Emblem Awakening main character Chrom as he encounters a mysterious woman and sets off on a journey with her to rescue a group of kidnapped villagers.

During the next few weeks, more maps will become available through the SpotPass feature. These include "Ghost of Blade" on March 28, a haunted tale about a ghost and the ultimate sacrifice; "The Wellspring of Trust" on April 11, a map full of challenging enemies; and "The Radiant Hero" on April 25, which takes place on an isolated island as Chrom and his allies search for a legendary hero. Players can also look forward to other special items that will be distributed for free via SpotPass, such as special weapons, additional playable characters and bonus challengers for the game's Double Duel multiplayer mode.

SpotPass is a built-in Nintendo 3DS feature that allows content to be automatically downloaded to a Nintendo 3DS hand-held system through wireless Internet access points. To receive content in Fire Emblem Awakening, users must opt in to receiving content from SpotPass. To check if SpotPass is on, open the main menu in the game by pressing the X button, then select "Wireless," then "SpotPass."

When SpotPass data is downloaded to the Nintendo 3DS system, users will receive a notification message. After receiving this message, open the main menu in the game once more, then select "Wireless," "Bonus Box" and "Update Now." The SpotPass maps can be found under "Bonus Maps."

For more information about Fire Emblem Awakening, visit http://fireemblem.nintendo.com/.

There they are.

Chuckpebble

If you make use of a paired up Olivia with a flier and either sumia or a paired up chrom with a flier you can reach her first turn

Oh, that's good. I actually had Chrom paired with Sumia, but for some reason I didn't think I could reach her, or even survive the swarm. What I did was mark Cynthia with A and kept everyone out of her danger zone. The rest of the field rushed me and bounced off like pebbles.

Is Kjelle worth keeping around? I've leveled her up to a promoted general, but her growths/stats have been kinda meh so far. I do like that she's got both Sol and Luna (paired Sully up with Gregor), but don't know how it really works in practice (does she have a chance to activate both or just one or the other?).

If I keep her around, I might have to make a tough decision on who to remove from my current lineup. So many characters I enjoy using! I'm thinking Cherche or Cordelia would have to go. Shame I haven't even gotten a chance to see what Cherche's kid has to offer yet.

Is Kjelle worth keeping around? I've leveled her up to a promoted general, but her growths/stats have been kinda meh so far. I do like that she's got both Sol and Luna (paired Sully up with Gregor), but don't know how it really works in practice (does she have a chance to activate both or just one or the other?).
Kjelle + Ingo combo works really good for me, beat a good portion of paralogue 13 with that couple.

There they are.
Waiting until April to get Priam is going to be a drag.

If I keep her around, I might have to make a tough decision on who to remove from my current lineup. So many characters I enjoy using! I'm thinking Cherche or Cordelia would have to go. Shame I haven't even gotten a chance to see what Cherche's kid has to offer yet.

You can only activate one of them at a time (Sol is better to keep than Luna).

Haven't used Kjelle myself but she is a child character so she should turn out fine if you lvl her up more. If you do decide to drop someone, I would suggest dropping Cherche since she really doesn't have any good class sets and skills (I do like Miracle & Renewal), when compared to what Cordelia has to offer.

Velcro Fly

I think I only need to grind up one more S support and I'll have all the children paralogues unlocked. I did a few today, getting MU, Sumia, and Lissa's child.

I've come to the conclusion that Lucina is really really good. Even on her own she was able to fight hard and kill a quite a few things.

My goal of finishing this game before Luigi's Mansion arrives is looking better and better. I wanted to have the Paralogues unlocked by the end of Thursday and have all the children recruited by the end of the weekend but that timetable might be moved up because of how well I played this morning.

Also some of the support convos are really charming and fun. Didn't really expect to enjoy that aspect of the game as much as I have. Also love how some of the traits of the parents manifest themselves in their children.

Draxal

Critical from a generic axe mook in ch.3. He only had a couple HP less than his max.

I think it was most likely a guy using a hammer? You have to watch out for enemy weapons/skills on hard mode.

NPD sales should be out tomorrow. Predicitons on sales? I'm going 140k.

GeekyDad

I think it was most likely a guy using a hammer? You have to watch out for enemy weapons/skills on hard mode.

That's what I was thinking too. I don't think a critical axe hit would likely even kill Freddie in anything that isn't Lunatic or above that early in the game. It might, I guess, but he is definitely weak to beast/armor weapons.

What difficulty are you on? I'm playing on hard and I don't recall ever being crit upon yet (17 or so chapters in).

Hard. When I was playing on classic I had an enemy land a critical at least once every encounter. Led to a lot of restarts.

That was it, my bad. I wasn't aware of the special properties of hammers until I killed the guy and got his hammer.

Aexact

That was it, my bad. I wasn't aware of the special properties of hammers until I killed the guy and got his hammer.
The weapon triangle gets trivialized later as your Skill exceeds their dodge, but since the Hammer is an ax, Frederick wearing a sword would give him a pretty good chance to dodge it whereas Fred's Silver Lance is weak to axes.

It was how I survived the Hammer bro from Lunatic anyway.

Busaiku

Yeah, I miss the lack of depth in the triangles here as well.
The only difference between magic now are their accuracies.

And then Dark Magic has nothing to oppose it of course.

The effect of the weapon triangle has pretty lessen as well since at most it'll boost or lower your hit rate by 15 and that's only if the advantageous side has an A rank.

I have a question regarding class changes...

Once you upgrade a character after level 10, if you change then again is it another upgrade, so to speak, or just a class swap?

Some characters I would like to use a seal on but the options seem strange: Mage to fighter or archer?

Am I confusing the seals or something?

ohlawd

Once you upgrade a character after level 10, if you change then again is it another upgrade, so to speak, or just a class swap?

Some characters I would like to use a seal on but the options seem strange: Mage to fighter or archer?

Second Seal lets you reclass or in your words, class swap.
Master Seal promotes units.

lvl 10-20 base class -> Master Seal > promoted class
lvl 1-20 base class -> Second Seal -> another base class

lvl 10-29 special class like Taguel, Manekete -> Second Seal -> base class
lvl 30 special class -> Second Seal -> promoted or base class

lvl 1-9 promoted class -> Second Seal -> base class
lvl 10-20 promoted class -> Second Seal -> another promoted class or base

Anteo

Master seals promote units (Knight to Great Knight), Second seals changes the class (Archer to Mage)

Busaiku

Another thing to note is that you can't use a Second Seal to reclass into the same class unless you're at the max level of that class.

Thanks guys!

So you can only promote your class once?

Just as well, I'm only on chapter 10 and already getting pretty powerful.

Enjoying this game quite a bit.

backlot

Thanks guys!

So you can only promote your class once?

Just as well, I'm only on chapter 10 and already getting pretty powerful.

Enjoying this game quite a bit.

You can use a Second Seal to change back to a base class then promote again. It isn't usually worth it though.

Moonlight

Banned
You technically only need to use a Master Seal once. Personally, that's what I do - once my unit is promoted, I'll just Second Seal whenever I get the skill from a class I want or hit the level cap. However, if you class back down to an unpromoted class, like a Mage or a Thief or a Myrmidon (maybe for a skill you'd like), you need to use another Master Seal to promote back up.

NeonZ

The game made it up with the characters and the sheer number of support conversations, though. One thing I noticed is the game treats S rank as a final--that means after a pair of characters got an S rank, nothing changes except their stat boosts. I kinda wish their battle lines changed to reflect their relationship (Chrom saying "Thanks, friend" to his wife after she defeated an enemy felt jarring). Still the support convo is pretty ambitious since there a lot of options when it comes to pairing and the game handled it well.

Well, not battle lines, but if you take them, while paired up, to a shinning tile when they have S rankings you can get a bunch of cliche lover quotes (calling the other one beautiful/handsome, saying that they can't live without them, giving a gift or saying that they love each other) rather than the standard ones. There are also special quotes for parent/children.

Spoilers for the end of the game:

I really liked the way the credits were handled. Probably some of my favorite in a game ever. Going into them, I didn't think there would be anyway I would feel sad that I'd be leaving these characters, but the biographies of the characters' lives after the game got to me. A very nice touch.

Also, I wish that the very last scene wasn't in the game, but of course I knew it was coming. At least it was handled fairly well.

massoluk

Banned
Spoilers for the end of the game:

I really liked the way the credits were handled. Probably some of my favorite in a game ever. Going into them, I didn't think there would be anyway I would feel sad that I'd be leaving these characters, but the biographies of the characters' lives after the game got to me. A very nice touch.

Also, I wish that the very last scene wasn't in the game, but of course I knew it was coming. At least it was handled fairly well.

Kellam, my hero,
still got screw no matter how much he contributed. Ungrateful bastards. How do you forget the hero that slain a good chuck of the bosses and married your damn princess.

Chrom

I don't think there's supposed to be SpotPass stuff for today. I think Nintendo mentioned that in a PR from today, but it sounds more like a mistake to me. It's always been on Thursdays.

WatTsu

Finished the game last night, ~24 hours on Normal/Classic.

Love the game itself to itty bitty pieces and will likely start a new playthrough later, but I thought the story didn't quite stick the landing (the post-credits tag felt like a bit of a cop-out, or at the very least didn't provide enough context or justification for what happened).

Still, the characters were fun, the game was fun, and I enjoyed my time with it.

I paired her with Vaike, and that wasn't awful. It got entertaining in the last couple supports. I only did Gregor's C support, but that seemed to have potential.

zroid

Banned
PR for upcoming SpotPass stuff

SPRING AWAKENING: SPOTPASS CONTENT COMING TO FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENING THIS SPRING

March 13, 2013

Fire Emblem Awakening launched on Feb. 4, exclusively on Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL, but bonus content keeps the game play going strong. Fans will continue to look forward to and receive free game content via SpotPass all the way through spring. This new SpotPass content is different from the downloadable content that is currently available through the game's Outrealm Gate. The free SpotPass map available today is called "A Hard Miracle," and follows the story of Fire Emblem Awakening main character Chrom as he encounters a mysterious woman and sets off on a journey with her to rescue a group of kidnapped villagers.

During the next few weeks, more maps will become available through the SpotPass feature. These include "Ghost of Blade" on March 28, a haunted tale about a ghost and the ultimate sacrifice; "The Wellspring of Trust" on April 11, a map full of challenging enemies; and "The Radiant Hero" on April 25, which takes place on an isolated island as Chrom and his allies search for a legendary hero. Players can also look forward to other special items that will be distributed for free via SpotPass, such as special weapons, additional playable characters and bonus challengers for the game's Double Duel multiplayer mode.

Gestahl

the story in this game is weak. Weeeeak.

if I had my way, I'd take out an arc or two and develop the others instead.

Yeah say what you want about the original story and Shadow Dragon but at least they had a concentrated defined vision about an 80's as fuck tale of a prince journeying to slay an asshole dragon and his evil wizard bud. Awakening's story feels like some frankenstein's monster-esque cobbled together abomination that lifts characters and plots wholesale from the other games but does none of the work that made those moments actually meaningful or worth reaching.

zroid

Banned
Most of Miriel's supports were pretty good. The escalations to proposal tended to be more awkward than most, but in general it's funny stuff.

vareon

Thanks, guys.

Replaying with female avatar, the older sister type. Suddenly all the supports made much more sense! She's just that motherly figure that cares for everyone.

ohlawd

Yeah say what you want about the original story and Shadow Dragon but at least they had a concentrated defined vision about an 80's as fuck tale of a prince journeying to slay an asshole dragon and his evil wizard bud. Awakening's story feels like some frankenstein's monster-esque cobbled together abomination that lifts characters and plots wholesale from the other games but does none of the work that made those moments actually meaningful or worth reaching.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I haven't played SD but I did play its sequel and I found the story cohesive there.

upcoming paralogue spoilers
Emmeryn is next, isn't she? March 28 is so far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom