• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Fix

So, difficulties. I know it says "hard" is for series vets, and "normal" is for first-timers, but what I'm looking for is basically a difficulty that is equal to what I played in the previous games. I never chose a hard mode in any of those, just the normal default. The GBA and GCN/Wii games, specifically. Is the normal mode in Awakening supposed to be a lot easier than those or something? I played the demo on hard and noticed that my hit ratio seemed to always be a little low, and that's not really something that I'm particularly interested in subjecting myself to.

I'd suggest to go through Normal, especially if you're used to the other Normal modes. Even though Hard mode in the demo is a breeze, it does get harder fairly quickly.

I'm not sure if this is exclusive to Hard mode, but enemy reinforcements spawn at the start of their turn. Fun stuff!

So, difficulties. I know it says "hard" is for series vets, and "normal" is for first-timers, but what I'm looking for is basically a difficulty that is equal to what I played in the previous games. I never chose a hard mode in any of those, just the normal default. The GBA and GCN/Wii games, specifically. Is the normal mode in Awakening supposed to be a lot easier than those or something? I played the demo on hard and noticed that my hit ratio seemed to always be a little low, and that's not really something that I'm particularly interested in subjecting myself to.

What I've heard is that Awakening Normal = Sacred Stones Hard, and Awakening Hard = roughly Radiant Dawn "Normal", probably a little tougher.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Hard is a pretty good challenge for me, and I've played all the western released. I prefer it though. Mistakes should cost you and I don't want to be able to run into the middle of a battle field and just tank attacks. I guess if I had to compare it up to Chapter 6 so far.. Hard mode is far, far more difficult than Normal Sacred Stones and maybe more on par with FE7 Normal. Maybe a bit tougher because of the more intelligent AI.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
What I've heard is that Awakening Normal = Sacred Stones Hard, and Awakening Hard = roughly Radiant Dawn "Normal", probably a little tougher.

Yeesh, was Sacred Stones really that easy? I guess I don't remember it well enough.

Probably leaning towards normal though, thanks for the replies dudes. Fire Emblem drives me crazy enough with the permadeath, which I refuse to turn off this time around, so it'll be nice to maybe take a little bit of the edge off.

Drago

fuuuuuuck

I call Gamestop to see if I can preorder today (I have gift cards) and the guy said it is completely out of the entire Gamestop system for preorders

:(

I just called three Gamestops around me to ask if they were selling it, and none of them seemed like they were gonna break the street date. The closest I got was one that said they'll sell it once it comes in... but it doesn't come in until the 4th or 5th. Meh.

Artemisia

Banned
I'm so happy I did it this morning. Art book is mine >:) what the heck is going on with the release of this game though

I'm not so sure that preordering secures you an art book.

Some people who have preordered did not get the art book because there were not enough in store.

Tunavi

Banned
As a fan of walking dead game, game of thrones, etc, series where main characters constantly die off, I've been thinking about just playing through without restarting to save dead characters. Does anyone strongly advise against this?

Chrom

As a fan of walking dead game, game of thrones, etc, series where main characters constantly die off, I've been thinking about just playing through without restarting to save dead characters. Does anyone strongly advise against this?

I don't. The game's playable that way if you want to be..."realistic", if you will.

Socreges

Banned
I'd advise against this in the first playthrough. You might be screwed in later chapters if you have certain characters die. But on a replay I think it would be interesting, especially once you're more familiar with the mechanics and strategies.

IIRC, the game has a very large cast so it shouldn't be too hard to replace units. But that doesn't mean you'd be OK relying on weaker characters.

You can easily be locking yourself out of certain characters depending on who you let die.

NeonZ

IIRC, the game has a very large cast so it shouldn't be too hard to replace units. But that doesn't mean you'd be OK relying on weaker characters.

The only character that really lags behind the others after a while is Frederick, and even then he's still usable. There's no 'trap'/trash unit in this game. Also, when the game is officially released, everyone will also have the opportunity to fill in their teams with characters from past games to replace any lost Awakening units. Even if you have no nostalgia for them, they're still perfectly usable.

On the other hand, he won't even see the entire cast or play through all Gaiden stages if some specific characters die...

Anyone know the English voice cast yet? "Marth" sounds more familiar the more I hear.

Dunno if this is true or not, but in the trailer he sounded awfully like Nolan North...

EDIT: Sorry, was thinking of Chrom, not Marth. Haven't heard Marth yet as I don't have the game yet.

cjkeats

Dunno if this is true or not, but in the trailer he sounded awfully like Nolan North...

EDIT: Sorry, was thinking of Chrom, not Marth. Haven't heard Marth yet as I don't have the game yet.

Haha I get you, no worries. I think Chrom has more a Troy Baker kind if everyman voice. (Even if those two sound pretty much the same sometimes.)
Very curious about the rest of the cast. A few more seem familiar to me too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

A lot of people play like this. I'll probably end up doing it on my second Hard playthrough. You get so many party members, losing one even every other map won't hinder you too much, so much as it will limit your options (before you can class switch). Play it however you want, just don't get attached to any character too much, but if you do they are sure to suffer an onslaught of critical hits.

Sora_N

Crap, not sure if I should (or want) to do Casual or Classic. I feel that in FE games, there should be a risk of losing your units, but I want to save anywhere (don't have much time to play sometimes). Decisions.

Crap, not sure if I should (or want) to do Casual or Classic. I feel that in FE games, there should be a risk of losing your units, but I want to save anywhere (don't have much time to play sometimes). Decisions.

Classic. Heightens the stakes and the drama. Nothing beats the rush of seeing a unit with a sliver of health be surrounded by enemy reinforcements, each battle as a referendum on life and death, only to barely make it out alive... until getting hit by a 3% critical.

Sora_N

Classic. Heightens the stakes and the drama. Nothing beats the rush of seeing a unit with a sliver of health be surrounded by enemy reinforcements, each battle as a referendum on life and death, only to barely make it out alive... until getting hit by a 3% critical.

Fair enough! I'm one of those OCD people who restart when a unit dies though.

Vamphuntr

If you are the type to reload when you lose a unit then it shouldn't matter much anyway. If you want to save anywhere go casual and reload when you lose someone?

Socreges

Banned
You can suspend the battle and return at any point. So it still works well for short sessions.

But keep in mind that's not the same thing as a mid-save battle (which does not exist in Classic). You can suspend the battle halfway through, but if you return to the game and then lose a unit... you have to restart the entire chapter if you want to get him/her back.

Fair enough! I'm one of those OCD people who restart when a unit dies though.

I continue playing when units die. But I think in either situation, Classic raises the stakes of playing.

Casual is just that. Battles don't mean as much because there are no consequences to doing just enough to get by. I'd say if you want to blow through the story, play Casual. If you want each battle to be elevated to the dramatic tension of Greek tragedy, play Classic.

Drago

So, seeing as it is now impossible to preorder from Gamestop, what are the odds that I'll be able to get a non-reserved copy from them on release date? I want to get rid of my gift cards and I want this game to be my proper introduction to the series.

Socreges

Banned
Classic mode is the only true mode. Completely changes everything about the game if you take it away.
But like other people have said, if Casual mode helps gets new people into the series, then that's fine. They can graduate to Classic once they're more familiar with system (weapons triangle, terrain, strategies, etc).

Hero

But like other people have said, if Casual mode helps gets new people into the series, then that's fine. They can graduate to Classic once they're more familiar with system (weapons triangle, terrain, strategies, etc).

Oh, yeah, definitely. I have no problems with them offering a Casual mode to appeal to new gamers to get them into the series. I'm just glad they implemented it the way they did instead of just offering one mode and having it be casual.

Wish they would do something similar for Zelda in all honesty.

Sora_N

Loving this so far, I was actually playing Shadow Dragon last week. I decided to put it on hold since I managed to pick up this game earlier.

Is this the first game where you create your own character?
I didn't even know this game had that.

Foffy

Banned
Where does Awakening rank in terms of overall difficulty in the franchise? Surely on Normal it's nowhere near the nightmare that was Thracia 776..

Mupod

But then we get back to the point of restarting every time one of your important units (or even unimportant, in my case) eats that 3% crit.

I think SRW had a simple and elegant solution - you lose money for losing units. So if you play through a level and your best guy goes down to a 1% chance, it sucks but no big deal in the long run. But you don't meaninglessly throw away units because you don't want to be broke when it comes time to upgrade your robots. I'd prefer if this game's Casual mode had a mechanic like that, because then you don't start throwing away your units on distraction tactics and such.

If I'm going to play with permadeath I would actually prefer a mode that enforced it with autosaves, like XCOM.

It's the first one released in America where your character is playable. You could name a character and have it be you in FE7, the first GBA one released in America but you wouldn't take part in battles.

FE12, the unreleased DS one to America had a similar system that this game has but there were less waifus involved but still an usable character in battle.

Chrom

Loving this so far, I was actually playing Shadow Dragon last week. I decided to put it on hold since I managed to pick up this game earlier.

I wouldn't really call that a spoiler considering that's one of the biggest hooks in the game. And it's in the OP.

The previous game did. Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow~.

Reggie doesn't think you're interested in playing it, though.

Where does Awakening rank in terms of overall difficulty in the franchise? Surely on Normal it's nowhere near the nightmare that was Thracia 776..

Highest difficulty in this game is considered harder than anything else in the series, but Normal is fairly easy.

Are there other benefits to going Classic, like items or unlockables? Maybe even extra story details?

Nothing.

Sora_N

I wouldn't really call that a spoiler considering that's one of the biggest hooks in the game. And it's in the OP.

The previous game did. Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow~.

Reggie doesn't think you're interested in playing it, though.

Highest difficulty in this game is considered harder than anything else in the series.

Ah sorry, I didn't read ANYTHING about this game because I was afraid I'd be too desperate to play it. It looked amazing even without me reading/watching anything about it, I just knew. :)

Hero

But then we get back to the point of restarting every time one of your important units (or even unimportant, in my case) eats that 3% crit.

I think SRW had a simple and elegant solution - you lose money for losing units. So if you play through a level and your best guy goes down to a 1% chance, it sucks but no big deal in the long run. But you don't meaninglessly throw away units because you don't want to be broke when it comes time to upgrade your robots. I'd prefer if this game's Casual mode had a mechanic like that, because then you don't start throwing away your units on distraction tactics and such.

If I'm going to play with permadeath I would actually prefer a mode that enforced it with autosaves, like XCOM.

There's no way Iron Man mode from X-Com would work for Fire Emblem. Soldiers in X-Com are just generic and can be replaced whereas Fire Emblem actually has characters. Having to restart the entire Campaign from the first mission because someone got a crit on your unit is insane. That's not even difficult but an exercise in frustration.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Classic mode is the only true mode. Completely changes everything about the game if you take it away.

Agreed. It's why I enjoy the game so much. The frustration with eating a critical from the boss after playing a map for an hour is part of the entertainment value. FE is about minimizing risk and laughing out loud when bad luck hits. If I could just bulldoze my way through maps with little regard for my safety, I wouldn't feel anywhere near the same about the series.

Hero

Agreed. It's why I enjoy the game so much. The frustration with eating a critical from the boss after playing a map for an hour is part of the entertainment value. FE is about minimizing risk and laughing out loud when bad luck hits. If I could just bulldoze my way through maps with little regard for my safety, I wouldn't feel anywhere near the same about the series.

Yup, that's why I don't care for Advance Wars (as much). I just win through brute force without giving two shits about how many units I lose.

Actually I wonder if we'd ever get a Fire Emblem character-driven twist on Advance Wars.

Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom