• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

I know. I actually read the reviews. I value player impressions on GAF way higher than any scores. I'm just saying reading the text and looking at 4/5 it feels different from 80/100 but that's what it's going to be archived as.

Ah ok. Yeh its the problem of not using a unifying review system among the games media.

Sendou

I'm just saying reading the text and looking at 4/5 it feels different from 80/100 but that's what it's going to be archived as.

It's certainly an issue with Metacritic. One other example was a magazine that used whole scale of 1-10. Metacritic tends to be emphasized towards 75-99 scores. So they were on Metacritic for a while but had to leave because of how the scale is on Metacritic.

Reveirg

Just picked it up at my local EBGames. The street date was back on but they let me have it since they'd already called to confirm my pre-order was already available.

However, I wonder if I'd be better off playing the GC and Wii Fire Emblems before this one.

What do you guys think?

I know it's not a direct sequel, but I'm worried I'll have a hard time enjoying the older games after playing this one.

Luckily I was already spoiled of that spoiler but geez...they really didn't hold back.

Gametrailers...fail.

also i hope Gamestop isn't shitty with sending me this....kinda hyped now

Just picked it up at my local EBGames. The street date was back on but they let me have it since they'd already called to confirm my pre-order was already available.

However, I wonder if I'd be better off playing the GC and Wii Fire Emblems before this one.

What do you guys think?

I know it's not a direct sequel, but I'm worried I'll have a hard time enjoying the older games after playing this one.

If you really want to, play the GC one first, then Awakening, then Wii. The Wii game has enough unique features that aren't in any other game that you won't dislike it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah, I guess it is the AI, they're more relentless. They see someone with low HP, they home in on them real quick. Playing on Hard as well.

Also did they remove trees/forests boosting evasion? Is it just a cosmetic thing on the map? Feels like Sephiroth and mage girl are always stuck paired up because I can't leave them out in the open.

No, they definitely increase evasion. There is a green (I think) icon in one of the corners, that lets you know you have an advantage on that section of land.

Roman

What do you guys think?

It's a legitimate concern but if you had no problem playing older Final Fantasy games I think this could still work out. The games all had different focus and strengths, Awakening just decided to celebrate all of them.

It seems that Fire Emblem: Awakening is another 8-4 joint.

Although I don't think they can come out and directly confirm it, @MarkMacD's twitter feed all but confirms this. Or maybe I'm an idiot who missed them confirming this on their podcast or twitter feeds? I'm glad they've developed such an excellent relationship with Nintendo.

Praying that Project X is Dragon Quest VII for NOA.

Chrom

It seems that Fire Emblem: Awakening is another 8-4 joint.

Although I don't think they can come out and directly confirm it, @MarkMacD's twitter feed all but confirms this. Or maybe I'm an idiot who missed them confirming this on their podcast or twitter feeds? I'm glad they've developed such an excellent relationship with Nintendo.

Praying that Project X is Dragon Quest VII for NOA.

Rich Amtower from the Treehouse also said that it was 8-4 that actually translated the game.

Kazerei

Banned
I finally hit the RNG jackpot. Feels good.

APzuQng.jpg

Ricker

Yep,you can stop being ''jealous'' ;) of us Canucks now,they have put the street date back to next week,so anyone who didn't get the call wont be able to grab it until next week...I got mine with the art book,going to start it up a bit today...

creid

I've never played an FE before. I was under the impression this game would have repeatable battles (like FFT's "random battles" on the world map) that you could use to grind for XP. Now that I read Polygon's review it sounds like that is not true? No way to take a break and level up some of your weaker characters until you're satisfied?

Chrom

I've never played an FE before. I was under the impression this game would have repeatable battles (like FFT's "random battles" on the world map) that you could use to grind for XP. Now that I read Polygon's review it sounds like that is not true? No way to take a break and level up some of your weaker characters until you're satisfied?

The review is false if it really says that.

No it has that. Other FE games don't.

Artemisia

Banned

Yeah there are "random battles" on the map. You can also reclass and gain levels as much as you wish.

creid

The review is false if it really says that.
It doesn't explicitly say that, but it seems to imply it:

A limited number of sidequests are available at any time — finishing a storyline mission will usually unlock between two and four optional challenges — and they can each only be completed once. Players will have to budget these areas and the extra experience points available in them. Treating sidequests as essentially another resource adds a thoughtful twist to Awakening's management challenges.

Thanks for the responses.

zroid

Banned
Here.

This tweet makes it seem to me like 8-4 did most of the work.

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, I'd guess that Treehouse put final polish & approval on 8-4's stellar work.

Mark and John went and confirmed in the review thread that 8-4 actually did the full localization (under supervision by Rich Amtower). Seems to me that this has to have been Project X then, as the timing lines up perfectly.

Tunavi

Banned
*laughing* I knew someone in here had to have more. I remember being in the Denpamen thread and finding out people had 20+ hours on that demo. At least you could keep that progress though. Wish all demos did that. :/
It's really good practice for the game until it actually comes out. This is my fire FE game (although I have some experience with Advance Wars), so it's nice to test my limits without actual consequences, see what risk/reward actions work for me, what difficulty I like, etc.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not being careful at all. Losing units too frequently lol. I'm only on chapter 4 but I've lost units a number of times already. Lots of restarting :p.

Chrom

It doesn't explicitly say that, but it seems to imply it:

That's referring to the paralogues (sidequest chapters), which are indeed one time only. As said before, the game also gives you random battles on the world map that never cease to appear as you play through the game, so you've got those too.

Keyouta

So yesterday I went to EB and they said they haven't received their copies yet, but it's on sale and to come back tomorrow. I just went to the store and now they're saying they got an email and it's pushed to the fourth, so they won't sell it to me.

Anything I can do? I sent a message to their twitter feed.

raigeki11

Neo Member
Will there be any mid-battle save points like they had in shadow dragon? they were a great remedy for the mad that I was used to feeling after losing someone at the end of a battle, especially in radiant dawn where there were some obscenely long battles

also, GOTY

ohlawd

Will there be any mid-battle save points like they had in shadow dragon? they were a great remedy for the mad that I was used to feeling after losing someone at the end of a battle, especially in radiant dawn where there were some obscenely long battles

also, GOTY

I haven't seen any during the 10 hours I've played so I don't think those save points are in the game.

edit: nvm guess I'm wrong lols

Chrom

also, GOTY

Awakening has that, but only in Casual Mode I believe. It's more like in Radiant Dawn where you can choose to do it wherever as opposed to a particular point on a map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom