• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

massoluk

Banned
Looks like a bit of shortage is imminent. Amazon warning of delay. Gamestop not taking preorder now. Guess I'm going to have to download it.

Koodo

Banned
I can't wait to start grinding him up, but I've been hard pressed to find time for him in the story missions yet.
I've slotted him in every battle since he joined. :lol

At the beginning I just made him finish off weakened enemies for quick and dirty experience points, but now he can go straight into the action without fearing certain death.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've slotted him in every battle since he joined. :lol

At the beginning I just made him finish off weakened enemies for quick and dirty experience points, but now he can go straight into the action without fearing certain death.

I am not very good and I need all able bodies for Hard mode. Hopefully I can start bringing him along to poke at some low health archers soon.

Riposte

Anyone with strong anti-grinding, anti-waifu fluff convictions enjoying the game? (i.e. people who love Fire Emblem, but hate Tactics Ogre)

Roto13

It's possible to change your avatar's class later on with a special item.

Good, because I was planning on making him some kind of knight. :p

he's got a sword too, in the demo at least he just starts with the tome equipped.

Ah. I just finished the first tutorial battle and noticed that he was magickin' people and I didn't want to waste any more time as a mage if I was going to have to restart to undo my stat settings.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Good, because I was planning on making him some kind of knight. :p

Ah. I just finished the first tutorial battle and noticed that he was magickin' people and I didn't want to waste any more time as a mage if I was going to have to restart to undo my stat settings.

It's nice to have magic as a back up early on, but I'm like you. I made Magic his weakness and planned on having him as a melee character.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hey so this game is going to release on the eShop NEXT Thursday, right? So downloaders gotta wait an extra two days for the release?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
No, downloaders can download the game as soon as it's Monday the 4th.

Wow that's cool, I'd thought for sure we'd have to wait for the eShop update. This news is like hearing I'm getting the game early!

I have no idea when I'm going to finish Kid Icarus,
Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Resident Evil Revelations

Roto13

Wow that's cool, I'd thought for sure we'd have to wait for the eShop update. This news is like hearing I'm getting the game early!

I have no idea when I'm going to finish Kid Icarus,
Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Resident Evil Revelations

You can technically buy it before the stores open, so that's early. :p

Orayn

Thinking of going digital on this one, but I fear I may outgrow my current SD card before too long... Nintendo says I just need to copy/paste the data to a new one, but does that work for digital games and eShop stuff?

Chrom

Thinking of going digital on this one, but I fear I may outgrow my current SD card before too long... Nintendo says I just need to copy/paste the data to a new one, but does that work for digital games and eShop stuff?

Yeah, it works for everything. Copy/paste everything over to a new card and it'll be usable on your 3DS.

timnich

Just got to the first side chapter on hard mode and got my ass kicked so many ways. Are you supposed to be able to beat that chapter right off the bat, or do I need to come back a bit later on? I'm worried that if I'm having this much trouble so early in the game I won't be able to finish it. I also dont want to play it on normal, I found the past games a little too easy on the normal setting.

Chrom

Just got to the first side chapter on hard mode and got my ass kicked so many ways. Are you supposed to be able to beat that chapter right off the bat, or do I need to come back a bit later on? I'm worried that if I'm having this much trouble so early in the game I won't be able to finish it. I also dont want to play it on normal, I found the past games a little too easy on the normal setting.

It's definitely possible to do so.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I beat it as soon as it becomes available, but it did take a bit of planning. Advice spoilers
Don't worry about Donny levelling up right away, if the opportunity doesn't present itself. But if you can, get the first thief, just north of you, down to very low health and kill him. Should net 60exp for Donny, meaning you only have to pick off one more archer for the extra 40exp. You'll have lots of chances for that.

It's best to use the lower entrance as a choke point. I sent over my axe user and healer, and tanked the onslaught from there, while taking out the three above with the rest. There's no rush with this chapter, so just play slowly and carefully. Donny only needs one level, so don't feel pressured to get it right away if you're under fire.

Any Canadian gaffers unable to pick their copies up today? Went to pick up my pre order and they told me to come back Feb 4th.

EBgames had a talking to apparently, and they're no longer giving out copies until the 4th.

timnich

It's definitely possible to do so.
Thanks! I'll try again in a few chapters.

Any Canadian gaffers unable to pick their copies up today? Went to pick up my pre order and they told me to come back Feb 4th.
Nintendo made EBGames/Gamestop stop selling the game early. It went back to its original Feb. 4th release date.

EvilMario, how did you
Manage to grab the chest in the top left corner? Or do you just not bother with that? That's how I keep dying...

Solune

I'm not so sure that preordering secures you an art book.

Some people who have preordered did not get the art book because there were not enough in store.

I actually went to EBGames to ask about the status of pre orders and there was admittance to selling the game early with artbooks to non-preorders. Although they have extras it's pretty much a first come first serve, because I was told to come and pick up the pre-order and "see what we can do for you".

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Thanks! I'll try again in a few chapters.

Nintendo made EBGames/Gamestop stop selling the game early. It went back to its original Feb. 4th release date.

EvilMario, how did you
Manage to grab the chest in the top left corner? Or do you just not bother with that? That's how I keep dying...

I didn't really have any trouble
catching up to the thief. Once you kill the thief you'll get the Killer Lance (I think that's the item?) that he stole (don't try to beat the thief to the chest, it's nigh impossible).You should have moved into the building by then. The thief tries to escape via the southern part of the map, so he should move right into your path. If you're dying trying to get the second chest because enemies swarm you, try to lure out just the archer with one of your defensively strong units. You can click A on an enemy while looking around and see their range. After he's gone, take on one of the stationary axe guys at a time. Just be careful, one has a hand axe to hit you over the wall!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What difficulty would you recommend for a newcomer? The only SRPG I've played have been Devil Survior 1 & 2 and Dual Strike.

Classic / Normal will give you a taste for the tradition of the series without making you pull your hair out. Hard is really quite a challenge and Lunatic is for crazy people on their second playthrough. I recommend not playing Casual, because it really takes the flavour out of the series and gameplay.

Keyouta

Went yesterday, told to come back today because they didn't have their shipment in yet, then when I went to the store today they said it's been pushed to the 4th.

Koodo

Banned
NOC brought down the hammer on the broken street date?

Having bought the game yesterday now feels all the more delicious.

Drago

Ugh, I really hope I can get this when it comes out even if I can't preorder at GS. I need it :(

And damn, seems like so many people were able to get this early.

Prax

I have 2 copies of the game now~! My brother bought a copy of the game without the artbook on Tuesday, and then my order with the artbook shipped from EBgames on Tuesday and arrived today. So I guess we each have a copy and we'll spotpass one another once one of us gets another 3DS..? It will happen eventually!

Anyway, the game is great (playing on Hard), and I die a bunch of times because conservative play is too hard (and I don't watch for enemy ranges as often as I should lol). I like evenly levelling my characters, so I bring into battle people I think need the experience even if they might not be so useful on a map. >_> I also use Frederick and Kellam as extra defense boosts for pairups, but even then there are death! xD

Hard mode is definitely on the level of Radiant Dawn's hard mode. You will die if you aren't thinking strategically. You can't strong arm your way through maps because most units, even when paired up, can die with 3ish well-placed hits from the enemy (because the enemy often uses a mix of melee, long range, and mage units!). Pairing up a low movement unit and using a mounted unit to go a long distance and then switching again to use your short distanced unit is a good strategy! Also, transferring backup units between main units is also fun for creating defense walls.

I am on Chapter 6, I think. The main con I have so far is that I am not really in love with any of the characters yet. I am not too much a fan of characters with a repetitive shtick, so I think Lissa is possibly the most enjoyable at the moment to me.. which is surprising? Haha. I don't really hate anyone yet, so there's that!

MrDaravon

So there's really no strategy guide release for this one? :(

Looks like a bit of shortage is imminent. Amazon warning of delay. Gamestop not taking preorder now. Guess I'm going to have to download it.

Gamestop hasn't been taking pre-orders for at least a few weeks, if not longer (I think since last month?). For Gamestop I'm assuming it's an issue with the amount of the pre-order artbooks they're getting, but Amazon is a weird one, no idea.

Jachaos

so is this a game about the story or is it more about the gameplay? I love these type of games but I would hope the story would be pretty good too.

While on the surface it seems like a pretty basic storyline, having just replayed Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, there are many things that shine story wise. Like mentioned earlier, the characters are interesting, I cared for pretty much each of them on my team and that's what made me want to reset every time one of them died. It's because I wanted to see the end of their stories, and the support conversations they have with each other. Replaying the game many times, you can choose to make a character have a relationship with another one instead and that's why there's tons of script. Two obscure units can have a really interesting relationship that tells more about their backstory, and without those support convos you don't get the full portrait of a character. They have a lot of depth.

Also, the story does sometimes change depending on what you do. In Radiant Dawn, replaying the game adds a certain choice at one point that can have a pretty big impact on the storyline later in the game. There's all kinds of conversations that take place depending one which character lives and who you group together. I've replayed games 5, 6 times and still every time discovered something new about the story, so it's not set in stone for everyone either.

And yeah, the messages the games send through metaphors are interesting and the twist in the last Act of Radiant Dawn opens up the door to nice grey-morality and a surprising ending. There are twists and I really like the atmosphere, narratives and character development of the series overall.

sorry if this has been asked already, but does the game have New Game+?

There's Lunatic+ but I don't think it has new options given to the player from what I've read.

sorry if this has been asked already, but does the game have New Game+?

The only form of new game+ is that when you start a new file when you already completed the game once, you'll gain the highest amount of fame points that you accumulated.

You can also bring in your avatar and other bonus characters by registering them with My Unit Compendium and paying the amount of gold to bring them in.

Also, completing the game on the Lunatic mode unlocked Lunatic+ mode~

vall03

The only form of new game+ is that when you start a new file when you already completed the game once, you'll gain the highest amount of fame points that you accumulated.

You can also bring in your avatar and other bonus characters by registering them with My Unit Compendium and paying the amount of gold to bring them in.

Also, completing the game on the Lunatic mode unlocked Lunatic+ mode~

I see, can I assume that when I use the Compendium, the levels will be the same when I registered them?

Beelzebub

Just a better strategy game with classic. You'd be removing strategic depth and tense moments. Personally, it would ruin a lot of the emotional connection I'd feel towards the characters and the game as whole. I just fear people who go casual first wont ever care to switch to classic and they'd be missing out on what makes fire emblem so great...I played it as a kid on the GBA for the first time, when I learned that my characters died I couldn't help but restart and keep them alive, learn from my mistakes, not take the easy way out and save near the end or before a level growth.ugh...oh well, I'm glad its getting more people into the series.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
wow with Nintendo Canada giving EB a bit of a belt-lashing, I'm glad I went out of curiousity yesterday and got the only sealed new non-preorder copy my closest store had :)

KarmaCow

I haven't had much time to play this but I still really love that you can overlay enemy unit's attack ranges on the map while moving units. Such a simple thing but it makes thing much easier.

Busaiku

Do they have their own stories and whatnot (with VA and cutscenes), or are they just maps with sprites/models of the other characters?
Also $76? Dang.

Moonlight

Banned
I am beginning to strongly regret
getting impatient and just going through and hitting S-Rank with Lissa. I like her, no doubt about it, but her S-Rank scene is not fantastic and she doesn't appear to offer a great deal of immediate benefits
. I suppose this is all what other playthroughs are for, though.

And do you get to
recruit Anna? Four dudes ganged up on her on the mission with the twin bandits, and she dodged and killed all of them. I think I'm in love. It was majorly disappointing to find out she wasn't about to join my party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom