• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Advance Wars is entirely different in my book, so I don't really get the comparisons when people bring them up. AW is about resource management and a faster pace. If anything it has more similar qualities to an RTS, except it's turn based. I still love it, but it's so far removed from FE. You can't really cross the games, because they're just so far different. It would just be FE that looked like AW.

Roto13

Looks like I will be reviewing this game. I'm downloading it now.

I'm not super familiar with the series though I have played some of the games. This one has really grabbed my attention and I was strongly considering buying it before my editor sent me a review key, so I'm very much looking forward to playing it.

Advance Wars is entirely different in my book, so I don't really get the comparisons when people bring them up. AW is about resource management and a faster pace. If anything it has more similar qualities to an RTS, except it's turn based. I still love it, but it's so far removed from FE. You can't really cross the games, because they're just so far different. It would just be FE that looked like AW.

Advance Wars is a turn based strategy game and Fire Emblem is a tactical RPG. They're certainly very different games. They do have that grid based strategy component in common, and they're both made by the same studio, so I can kind of see why people like to compare them.

The GBA games especially had a similar feel to them. Like they were running on the same engine. (Which they probably were.)

Hero

They are different and not directly comparable, I'm just saying the fact that you have generic troops in the game significantly changes my attitude towards them.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
They are different and not directly comparable, I'm just saying the fact that you have generic troops in the game significantly changes my attitude towards them.

Yeah, I was actually agreeing with you. Just expanding my thoughts and thinking out loud too. :p

There's no way Iron Man mode from X-Com would work for Fire Emblem. Soldiers in X-Com are just generic and can be replaced whereas Fire Emblem actually has characters. Having to restart the entire Campaign from the first mission because someone got a crit on your unit is insane. That's not even difficult but an exercise in frustration.

I disagree. Soldiers in X-Com may not have support convos or pop up in cutscenes, but they do have unique names and develop different stats (and in the new one, perks). Losing an X-Com soldier is every bit as crushing as losing an FE character. Especially if, like me, you skip most cutscenes when replaying FE games. Plus most FEs have given plenty of ways for players to make up for lost soldiers. There are late recruits (who would only ever be useful if you lost a long-serving soldier) in just about every game, there's grinding in FE8/Awakening, there's bonus experience in 9 and 10.

Socreges

Banned
Yup, that's why I don't care for Advance Wars (as much). I just win through brute force without giving two shits about how many units I lose.

Actually I wonder if we'd ever get a Fire Emblem character-driven twist on Advance Wars.

Hmm.
The fact that you have unlimited dispensable units in Advance Wars is really the most important difference between the franchises. I'd love for it to incorporate that element of Fire Emblem, but I don't know how it would work.

I wouldn't really call that a spoiler considering that's one of the biggest hooks in the game. And it's in the OP.

The previous game did. Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow~.

Reggie doesn't think you're interested in playing it, though.
Yeah. And they keep fucking with my hair. Just leave me alone. I got them to shave it and they still ask me if I want to change it -- how is that even possible when I have no hair? Idiots.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
so is this a game about the story or is it more about the gameplay? I love these type of games but I would hope the story would be pretty good too.

Hero

Yeah, I was actually agreeing with you. Just expanding my thoughts and thinking out loud too. :p

Haha okay, just making sure. I know I had to explain to people before the differences as well so I didn't want to come across like I was one of 'them.'

Hopefully this will be the best selling Fire Emblem in the west. I think the odds are in its favor. Loving how much appreciation and the glowing reviews so far.

I disagree. Soldiers in X-Com may not have support convos or pop up in cutscenes, but they do have unique names and develop different stats (and in the new one, perks). Losing an X-Com soldier is every bit as crushing as losing an FE character. Especially if, like me, you skip most cutscenes when replaying FE games. Plus most FEs have given plenty of ways for players to make up for lost soldiers. There are late recruits (who would only ever be useful if you lost a long-serving soldier) in just about every game, there's grinding in FE8/Awakening, there's bonus experience in 9 and 10.

They have unique names but you can always just rename them to be the same person. You can even make them look exactly the same. Stats are RNG, I'll give you that. And in Enemy Unknown there are class specific perks but the point remains that you can have any lost squadmate replaced within a handful of missions who has the exact same name, look, perks, etc. Only thing you're losing out is RNG stats and if they're PSI-capable or not.

Not to mention there is zero background info or story for them. I have used characters in Fire Emblem specifically because I liked them or they catered to my interests. When I let them die I felt like I had failed them and couldn't imagine spending the rest of the game knowing that and not having them in my party.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
so is this a game about the story or is it more about the gameplay? I love these type of games but I would hope the story would be pretty good too.

FE games typically have good stories, especially focused on characters' personal dramas. A big reason why peramdeath is significant. Someone dies, and you never see how their story plays out or develop their support relationship with other characters.

Chrom

I don't think people really play the games for the story but it's not like the story is lackluster or anything.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've spent at least 150 hours on just Sacred Stones, so you are not alone.

I'm pretty sure 20 hours is a very conservative amount. You could easily beat Sacred Stones in that time frame, but given the extra quest, the random battles, the benefits of replaying.. you'll probably spend a lot more. The same can be said for this game, especially when you consider the DLC.

I don't think people really play the games for the story but it's not like the story is lackluster or anything.

Maybe for missed support convos back when you couldn't easily obtain them for everyone on a single playthrough. I still enjoy going back to older games after years of not playing them and seeing the story / convos again.

Socreges

Banned
15-20 hours is all? Seriously? I swear I played Fire Emblem GBA for at least 4 times that length. That's disappointing.
15-20 hours is probably Normal/Casual without accounting for resets. I doubt Awakening is actually much shorter than previous games, though I'm sure it doesn't reach Radiant Dawn's length (which was exceptional).

KuroNeeko

The only character that really lags behind the others after a while is Frederick, and even then he's still usable. There's no 'trap'/trash unit in this game. Also, when the game is officially released, everyone will also have the opportunity to fill in their teams with characters from past games to replace any lost Awakening units. Even if you have no nostalgia for them, they're still perfectly usable.

On the other hand, he won't even see the entire cast or play through all Gaiden stages if some specific characters die...

Frederick is such a beast for the first half of the game though... <.<; I can't remember if I'm playing the game on normal or hard but I hardly have any trouble clearing a stage once your main unit
gets married
. Then it's just nuke, nuke, counter, evade, counter, nuke. You'll have a harder time just controlling space so your weaker mages / archers don't die.

Like you said though, all of the units are usable so long as you level them.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
FE games typically have good stories, especially focused on characters' personal dramas. A big reason why peramdeath is significant. Someone dies, and you never see how their story plays out or develop their support relationship with other characters.

Ahhh I see, So you could have a different story experience based on who survives and who dies? Awesome!

Socreges

Banned
Frederick is such a beast for the first half of the game though... <.<; I can't remember if I'm playing the game on normal or hard but I hardly have any trouble clearing a stage once your main unit
gets married
. Then it's just nuke, nuke, counter, evade, counter, nuke. You'll have a harder time just controlling space so your weaker mages / archers don't die.

EXP hog. Definitely avoid using him if you can. Just harms the growth of everyone else.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
gets married

I've tried to avoid Frederick, even though Exp isn't at a premium in this game, or anything. But he's certainly helped on a couple of the early chapters with his ability to hold a choke point by himself.

EXP hog. Definitely avoid using him if you can. Just harms the growth of everyone else.

Definitely, although the punishment for your Jeigan in Awakening is pretty low. Are his growth rates anything decent, or is he truly terrible? I haven't looked at any characters growth rates, or any guides.

Socreges

Banned
I've tried to avoid Frederick, even though Exp isn't at a premium in this game, or anything. But he's certainly helped on a couple of the early chapters with his ability to hold a choke point by himself.
I just paired him with MU. Gives him a +4 DEF boost (and more) and doesn't take any of the EXP.

Yeah. And they keep fucking with my hair. Just leave me alone. I got them to shave it and they still ask me if I want to change it -- how is that even possible when I have no hair? Idiots.

Man, that's fun. They do they every few chapter, but at least after one or two chapters they ask if you want to remove the hat or not.

Now, I'm stuck wearing a fur hat.

I haven't played this one, but the FE games typically have really great characters in interesting worlds. The overarching stories are pretty typical, but the characters are what makes it shine.

Well, actually...one of the big reasons I play FE is for the story and characters. It's why I prefer it so much over Advance Wars.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I just paired him with MU. Gives him a +4 DEF boost (and more) and doesn't take any of the EXP.

I made the mistake of taking his weapon in the first map, expecting the units to attack him because he was weaponless like in some previous titles. But they didn't care and went after the more defensively vulnerable characters. dat improved AI.

RM8

I honestly don't care a lot about story in FE or any RPGs, but yeah, it's nice to have. I'm a fan because of the gameplay and music.

Midou

Hard is seeming a bit brutal, I'm on Chapter 5 and
I get bum rushed by wyvern riders and I can only kill 1 at most before they 1 shot my weaker characters

Fredrick is only one man..

They have unique names but you can always just rename them to be the same person. You can even make them look exactly the same. Stats are RNG, I'll give you that. And in Enemy Unknown there are class specific perks but the point remains that you can have any lost squadmate replaced within a handful of missions who has the exact same name, look, perks, etc. Only thing you're losing out is RNG stats and if they're PSI-capable or not.

Not to mention there is zero background info or story for them. I have used characters in Fire Emblem specifically because I liked them or they catered to my interests. When I let them die I felt like I had failed them and couldn't imagine spending the rest of the game knowing that and not having them in my party.

Sure. But that doesn't mean FE is somehow unsuitable for Iron Man. I've done Iron Man playthroughs of most of the FEs I've played (the only one I wouldn't consider trying that way is FE5. It's hard enough already, and the stamina system would make battling on with fewer soldiers less tenable). They're fun. And yeah, losing Oscar in PoR feels bad, but that doesn't mean I have to restart the entire run. That just makes the run more dramatic.

Chrom

Ahhh I see, So you could have a different story experience based on who survives and who dies? Awesome!

Eh, not really. For all intents and purposes, playing through the game with all but the necessary characters alive wouldn't actually change the story but the game does acknowledge their existences (or lack thereof) eventually, but it's never crucial. Death is basically an inhibitor.

Is Fredrick another "Seth"?

Frederick isn't that amazing. He's certainly usable (sans grinding of course) but he's not in the same league as Seth.

Midou

Try archers and lightning magic.

Yeah, the problem is they stop on a cliff, so I can't reach them with either. If I get them partially into range, they just die next time. I'm going to try using less units who are super powered through supports instead of half and half and see how it goes.

KuroNeeko

I think I'll go back and play through the game with you guys. I kind of regret not getting the hang of the
flying units like the pegasus knights
. I mostly relied on
Tharja, Panne, Lonqu, and Nowi
. Yep, I'm replaying this.

Not really. If a plot critical character falls in battle, it will either be an automatic game over or the character will "retreat" and be unusable in future battles. Sometimes certain characters have to be around to access secret chapters, and the games usually do a roll-call at the end, revealing surviving characters' fates, but you'll have the same story experience regardless of who survives.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I get bum rushed by wyvern riders and I can only kill 1 at most before they 1 shot my weaker characters

I'm on Hard too, and it took me a few tries.

Strategy spoilers
I had Fredrick bottle neck the cliff, killing one unit during the first turn, while the Peg Knight and new Mage killed off a second unit. Or another ranged unit can come up behind Fredrick and finish one of them off if the others didn't. Thus only one unit to hit the Mage on the enemy turn and he'd be okay. You can use Rescue on your Cleric to pull one of the weaklings out of battle. Once you have the kids rescued and behind Fredrick, you should be okay. Regroup at the lower level and prepare for the riders / forts to spawn enemies. Archers and Wind magic will help a bunch. Try having a group on the right and a group on the left. You can lure single enemies to each group as they come down, giving you an easy time finishing them off. Don't push up to the second level until you've cleared out all the riders, including the boss, who will eventually move.

Necrovex

One of my favorite parts about Fire Emblem is creating god units. I remember in FE7, I had a berserker (Dart), an archer (Rebecca), and a swordmaster (Guy) destroyed an entire army on one of the harder maps.

Socreges

Banned
I honestly don't care a lot about story in FE or any RPGs, but yeah, it's nice to have. I'm a fan because of the gameplay and music.
The music is excellent in Awakening. Probably the best in the franchise. I'm playing Heroes of Light and Shadow (FE12) right now and even though the maps are great, the music and overall presentation is way behind.

Is Fredrick another "Seth"?
Wasn't Seth a cavalry unit that developed into one of the best in PoR? Can't remember now.

Wasn't Seth a cavalry unit that developed into one of the best in PoR? Can't remember now.

Seth was the paladin that you start with in FE8. He had good growths and could easily become a good character, just that he joined you about 10ish chapters way too early.

Chrom

Well, actually...one of the big reasons I play FE is for the story and characters. It's why I prefer it so much over Advance Wars.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think many of the stories in FE are great and they definitely enamor many fans, but I suppose what I was getting at was that the gameplay's always so refined that I see it generally being the bigger appeal for people who like these kinds of games. I know many people who can't get enough of the characters and such, and I don't think Awakening really falters in that department either, but I think that ultimately it's the gameplay that shines the best with these games. They're really fun games.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The music is excellent in Awakening. Probably the best in the franchise. I'm playing Heroes of Light and Shadow (FE12) right now and even though the maps are great, the music and overall presentation is way behind.

Seth was from Sacred Stones. He was actually a really decent cavalier with good growth rates, despite being an early Exp hog.

Seth was a paladin in FE8 (Sacred Stones). He was a perfectly fine unit throughout the game, and if you were going for speed, he was a godsend.

In fact, that's pretty much been the story with most modern FE games. While you never want to let the promoted units steal XP early on, there have been very few true "Jiegans" - promoted units that are no use later in the game.

Midou

I'm on Hard too, and it took me a few tries.

Strategy spoilers
I had Fredrick bottle neck the cliff, killing one unit during the first turn, while the Peg Knight and new Mage killed off a second unit. Or another ranged unit can come up behind Fredrick and finish one of them off if the others didn't. Thus only one unit to hit the Mage on the enemy turn and he'd be okay. You can use Rescue on your Cleric to pull one of the weaklings out of battle. Once you have the kids rescued and behind Fredrick, you should be okay. Regroup at the lower level and prepare for the riders / forts to spawn enemies. Archers and Wind magic will help a bunch. Try having a group on the right and a group on the left. You can lure single enemies to each group as they come down, giving you an easy time finishing them off. Don't push up to the second level until you've cleared out all the riders, including the boss, who will eventually move.

Yeah it was working best when
I managed to get the kids behind Fredrick, though I was wasting turns and eventually the wyverns came down and killed them, but I think I can do it faster

Socreges

Banned
Seth was the paladin that you start with in FE8. He had good growths and could easily become a good character, just that he joined you about 10ish chapters way too early.
Ah, OK. I only played the first handful of chapters in FE8. Went to it after Radiant Dawn and just couldn't get into it. Will always be on my 3DS thanks to the Ambassador bonus so I might try it out someday.

Didn't like the alien enemies, though. Weird for Fire Emblem.

NeonZ

Definitely, although the punishment for your Jeigan in Awakening is pretty low. Are his growth rates anything decent, or is he truly terrible? I haven't looked at any characters growth rates, or any guides.

Frederick's growths are decent, what truly cripples him later are his caps and class options (low speed + a bunch of slow classes without many stand out skills). He's usable, but he's no Seth, who could pretty much carry the army up to the ending.

Zaventem

Are his growth rates anything decent, or is he truly terrible? I haven't looked at any characters growth rates, or any guides.

His growth rates are one of the best imo.I know most people who've played older FE games are usually cautious but you can re-class like crazy in this game anyways. Plus he's guaranteed +1 HP in any class he goes to for a level up.
Growth Rates for Great Knight HP110% STR65% MAG10% SKL55% SPD50% LCK40% DEF55% RES25%

Frolow

Banned

I'm playing through Sacred Stones right now and he is definitely over powered in the beginning. Up until Chapter 9 I pretty much just let him destroy every big enemy and had my main troops pick off everyone else.

RM8

FFS. Apparently Mexico isn't getting the special Fire Emblem 3DS. And Play-Asia is not selling it for some reason.

Effect

Forget the stores. Going to be downloading this baby from the eShop on release day. I totally forgot that I had a 16GB SD card in my 3DS. Plenty of space for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom