• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
So anyone know approximately how much all of the DLC would increase the game time?

Don't know about game time, but it's 25 missions, with some being pretty damn hard so that'd make it quite different from player to player.

Also, yes, AFAIK all of them have at least a little of story with some pre-battle conversations.

Koodo

Banned
Panne's beaststone broke. What kind of flop, she can't do anything now. Do they sell these stones at some point in the game?

Mr. Fix

Do they have their own stories and whatnot (with VA and cutscenes), or are they just maps with sprites/models of the other characters?

They do have VAs in the Japanese version, but no cutscenes (if you're talking about CG).

Each chapter has its own plot. The first one we know of is Champions of Lore. There's 3 parts to that, and each one takes place on the same map, but different times of the day. I believe all chapters under that title follow one narrative, though I can't couldn't read the text in the Japanese version. Likewise, there are also 3 other unique maps, with 3 pieces of dlc each with the same stage being slightly different in appearance for each part.

That's just the retro maps though (so 4 unique maps, but a total of 12).

Without going into spoilers, there's also 3 story chapters related to the main campaign, that take place after. You'll know what I mean once you beat the game.

The map where you can obtain the sacred treasures also has a light narrative, with a couple villains from the first game.

Then there's the hot springs and another one I'm forgetting which has about 200 support convo's when you play them.

Even 6 of the spotpass chapters have a plot, usually surrounding non-playable campaign characters that you can recruit by playing, however these were release bi-weekly in Japan, so it took 12 weeks to get all 6.

Idk if I'm just remembering wrong, but did they say something about offering DLC initially for free or something?

The first DLC chapter, which nets you Marth, is free for a week I think.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I decided to continue with my Lunatic Classic playthrough that I started to see how the balancing was for it, and I'm having a better time with the game (though I was already having a good time with this on Hard Classic). Er. I'm kind of nuts, though, so... uh, maybe traditionalists should start on Hard Classic, and those who hate permadeath should go with Hard Casual. Newbies should definitely start on Normal unless they have some other TRPG experience (and thus they could experiment with Hard Casual).

It's a little nuts at times when I'm not paying attention, but I like it this way. I really like how the double-up system is implemented in this. So much better and more efficient than Rescue.

This'll be my first fire emblem; pretty damn stoked.

I'm leaning towards casual since I don't have too much time to put into the game and I love to play for the story. Is casual a really big copout?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I think Im going to go Classic Mode Normal. Mostly because this is pretty much the only 3DS release I'm thinking about buying this year, unless Ace Attorney 5 or PW vs PL comes out. So I'm in no rush to finish this game. The longer it takes for me to finish it, the better.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I'm leaning towards casual since I don't have too much time to put into the game and I love to play for the story. Is casual a really big copout?

If you want to experience what the series is intended to be like, play Classic. If you're not enjoying yourself by the second, or third chapter (an hour in) then restart in easy mode. Casual really changes your mind set of how you approach maps, and thus it changes the game entirely. You no longer have to worry about luring units out, and carefully planning every move, while looking at enemy movements and range. You can just, for the most part, barrel into the teeth of the enemy without too much thought. As severe as the plenty is in Classic, it really does offer a lot to the game and brings much more strategy to the table.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Nah; it's more for people who really don't like it when their units permanently die. The difficulty settings affect the damage output from enemy units, really.

The best way to utilize casual mode and unit death is to make your units that don't really matter to you in terms of leveling up (if this is your type of playstyle, of course) aggro the enemy units and essentially assume the guise of being bait units, but this is moreso on Lunatic. I'm sure Normal won't require this much strategy (ie: to determine who gets the majority of XP throughout the map).

Basically what I'm getting at is battles go faster on Casual since you don't have to care about enemy placement too much or who gets XP. If you don't have too much time and just want to experience the story, picking Casual is the way to go. If you want to experience the way the series has been for a while, go with Classic (so your units who go down in battle will permanently die). Edit: totally beaten.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So what save options exist on Classic mode? Is it just beginning of battle save and a suspend save?

Yes. You can save on the map, prior to battle (ie; sort your units on the map, make adjustments and save) and bookmark (suspend save) during battle.

OceanBlue

I'm surprised the "no permanent death" feature of casual mode is the one most brought up. Even in various other websites, the fact that you can save anywhere and anytime on a map isn't mentioned. To me, that feature has a much larger impact on the game than no permanent death.

If anything convinces me to start on classic mode instead of casual mode, it will be that. Save scumming basically allows you to avoid death anyway, and it also gives you broken units if you optimize your growths.

That's the only reason I would tell people to play classic mode over casual mode. In my opinion, unit permadeath isn't a big deal compared to suspend versus saving.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's the only reason I would tell people to play classic mode over casual mode. In my opinion, unit permadeath isn't a big deal compared to suspend versus saving.
Ah, keep forgetting about the Save anywhere aspect. When I tried casual mode, I didn't save in the middle of a skirmish out of habit. I don't really like it for the reasons that you stated: it gives you a "rewind" option to the last unit controlled prior to defeat (actually if you save/load, save/load, save/load often, battles might actually take longer than intended), and it can probably throw off the base balancing.

But let's also keep in mind that unit permadeath is certainly a big deal if you're into this for narrative and substory reasons (and completionist reasons), which seems to be quite a subset of the player base.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm surprised the "no permanent death" feature of casual mode is the one most brought up. Even in various other websites, the fact that you can save anywhere and anytime on a map isn't mentioned. To me, that feature has a much larger impact on the game than no permanent death.

If anything convinces me to start on classic mode instead of casual mode, it will be that. Save scumming basically allows you to avoid death anyway, and it also gives you broken units if you optimize your growths.

Well, saving is optional abuse. Lack of death just changes the entire gameplay style. Used together, you're almost avoid any risk ever. They go hand in hand though. If you want no challenge, there is the option for you.

So, on classic mode, what's to stop one from saving pre-battle, getting into a mission, having a character die, and then just restarting the fight? I mean, doesn't that ultimately get you the same result as just playing casual? Although, i suppose, people that play classic really live with their consequences.

EDIT: I tend to be a save whore. With games like FFT, i'd restart a save if things didn't go my way.

Busaiku

So, on classic mode, what's to stop one from saving pre-battle, getting into a mission, having a character die, and then just restarting the fight? I mean, doesn't that ultimately get you the same result as just playing casual? Although, i suppose, people that play classic really live with their consequences.

This is what everyone does.
Nobody that plays Fire Emblem lets characters die.

If they do, they're not playing Fire Emblem.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

EDIT: I tend to be a save whore. With games like FFT, i'd restart a save if things didn't go my way.

Because if you're playing on Casual, you can rush through any map without consequence. In Classic, if you're trying to keep everyone alive, you will have to play very carefully and calculated. If you mess up and a character dies, you restart the entire map, or you never see them again. It's an entirely different mindset, even if the end result is 'everyone lives'

Not entirely true. Lots of people enjoy doing ironman runs, and letting the characters that die stay dead with no resets. Gives even more tension to the game.

Chrom

Save scumming basically allows you to avoid death anyway, and it also gives you broken units if you optimize your growths.

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but to be fair, your units can easily eventually be broken regardless if you play on Classic or Casual. In fact, odds are you'd more quickly and efficiently overpower your characters by simply playing the game normally rather than constantly resetting the game for ideal stat gains upon level ups.

Maybe if you got really good level ups on other characters before the death, but I suppose it's fair to say that this is a very normal way to play the game.

Nah, they are.

Pretty sure that FE usually gives you prepromoted units late game for this very reason.

Also, I hate everyone that is playing this game right now when they obviously shouldn't be :mad:

vareon

Nothing stopping you that way.

ohlawd

yup the bolded is the answer to your question.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Different people have different playstyles, and the game is somewhat forgiving in this sense because you're going to get units that are promoted later on anyway. Depending on how I feel, either I move on and face the facts that I screwed up, or I reset.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Different people have different playstyles, and the game is somewhat forgiving in this sense because you're going to get units that are promoted later on anyway. Depending on how I feel, either I move on and face the facts that I screwed up, or I reset.

I reset. I also never use promoted units. I always use the non-promoted ones.

Marche90

Ugh... since the wait is killing me, I re-downloaded the demo and tried for the first time Lunatic

No way in hell I'm touching that again. Only two turns until I got hit with the game over? Really? Even hard was enjoyable, since I managed to get through the missions without anyone dying, but this...

Although I'm sure that there's quite a few FE lovers here that will play the game in that difficulty. So far, anyone playing in that hellish difficulty?

EDIT:
Just got the Fire Emblem: Awakening StreetPass puzzle via SpotPass.

Awesome

OceanBlue

Well, saving is optional abuse. Lack of death just changes the entire gameplay style. Used together, you're almost avoid any risk ever. They go hand in hand though. If you want no challenge, there is the option for you.

I don't see the difference, to be honest. You have to let lack of death change your playstyle. It doesn't do it for you. I could play FE12 casual mode, try to avoid death, and restart the game every time a character died. I could play the game the same way I did with every other FE I've played and it wouldn't be any different from a FE without casual mode. In fact, that's what I did in my first playthrough. Saving in convenient situations and abusing lack of permadeath are both just using the options the game gives you.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Although I'm sure that there's quite a few FE lovers here that will play the game in that difficulty. So far, anyone playing in that hellish difficulty?
It's manageable (as a caution: don't take my word for it because my definition of difficulty sometimes doesn't match up with other people's). You just have to understand enemy reach, pair the right people up, distribute your XP more carefully, keep my squishy and vulnerable units far the heck away from the aggression, etc. In other words, always complete every single action while keeping in mind the several outcomes that may occur as a result of command. Do not ever allow one unit to suck up all of the XP (Frederick) because you might need more than one tank + damage dealer.

Sometimes I get a crit at the most inconvenient time, or some of my squishy units end up acting as aggro units when I don't want them to, but outside of that, I'm having lots of fun at least managing my positioning and doubling up/support.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't see the difference, to be honest. You have to let lack of death change your playstyle. It doesn't do it for you. I could play FE12 casual mode, try to avoid death, and restart the game every time a character died. I could play the game the same way I did with every other FE I've played and it wouldn't be any different from a FE without casual mode. In fact, that's what I did in my first playthrough. Saving in convenient situations and abusing lack of permadeath are both just using the options the game gives you.

You have more willpower than me. Knowing you have less risk would have an impact on me, even if I swore I'd play 'like usual'. So what was your point about saving being more important than lack of perma death? Seems like they're basically along the same lines. That was your original point.

Thoraxes

My GS was selling early but didn't actually get their copies in yet.

Fuuuuuuuuu-

Also given the seemingly now present shortages, i'll probably just go digital to save me any hassle.

Anyone with strong anti-grinding, anti-waifu fluff convictions enjoying the game? (i.e. people who love Fire Emblem, but hate Tactics Ogre)

Well, I've never played a FE and I didn't hate TO, but I meet the two anti criteria. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be playing this until late next week.

I reset. I also never use promoted units. I always use the non-promoted ones.

IS has gotten ridiculously better at making promoted units worthwhile to use.

Hell, even in some games promoted units are the way to go due to overall lower growth rates on everyone like FE6|Hard Mode Percival. Not to mention in games where promotion items are scarce.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There was a character who ran towards someone and ended up falling on her face in an earlier chapter.

kayos, you know how much I like that nonsense. :|

Koodo

Banned
I'm on Casual and it's the same style of play for me as previous Fire Emblem on Classic. I like having all my units alive by the end if only to ensure they all get experience points, so I still do a reset every once in a while when things don't go the way I planned. What Casual affords me is not having to reset from a random screw up late in a match, which is when I typically wouldn't give a fuck about re-doing the whole thing (for certain units) in previous games; the lack of a death penalty is great for a first play-through if you want to experience as much of the story as possible.

Anyhow~ I seem to have reached the level cap of my avatar unit. Is there any particularly good class to switch her to, or should I just advance her into a Grandmaster?

Anyone with strong anti-grinding, anti-waifu fluff convictions enjoying the game? (i.e. people who love Fire Emblem, but hate Tactics Ogre)

I'm picking it up on Monday, so I'll let you know. I'm all about the strategy gameplay, and I plan on skipping out on random "skirmishes".

Busaiku said:

Real men don't shed tears until the war is over. I'll see those characters again... on my second playthrough.

Prax

Dat moe. We all love it. =| Where's Aeana?

Harhar.. Yeah. She's a loser much like Florina (FE7)~! xD ...
The fact that she
is Chrom's "story canon" bride
makes her even a little less likeable still!
But.. lots of people love Florina, so who am I to judge? >___> (still going to judge, though!)

... Isn't the Kirito (SAO, I assume?) character the Avatar? Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom