• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slermy

There is an overarching theme for the DLC, but nothing major.

If you need an introduction, I recommend checking out Champions of Yore 1, the very first episode.

Basically the DLC involves Chrom and company saving the Outrealms (like parallel worlds), usually from phantoms of past Fire Emblem characters.

Oh, okay thanks.

XeroSauce

Well, I think you're not going to have enough fathers left to pair up all of the mothers, so unfortunately a couple children will have to be missed.

edit: I was assuming they weren't already married when they died, of course.

There are at least 3 extra bachelors according to my calculations, so you'll only be missing one child.

Korosenai

I havent played this game in a while and havent been paying attention to the DLC. Has anything good come out since the second dlc pack (the one with the extra xp and extra gold)? Like anything absolutely worth getting (something with a new character class, good character, etc.)?

zroid

Banned
I havent played this game in a while and havent been paying attention to the DLC. Has anything good come out since the second dlc pack (the one with the extra xp and extra gold)? Like anything absolutely worth getting (something with a new character class, good character, etc.)?

yep, both of the new classes are out now. Dread Fighter is in Lost Bloodlines 2, and Bride is in Smash Brethren 2.

Giolon

Woohoo, Tiki get!

Jesus Christ her mission was hard. I had a failed go at it three times, before I finally came up with a working strategy.

I just set up all my units in a double-row phalanx around her, strong physical units on the outside, Wind-equipped Mages, Bow users, and healers on the inside. I didn't move anybody and let all the waves of enemies come up to me.
It was like waves breaking upon the rocks.

Now I can find out if she's worth marrying.

Woohoo, Tiki get!

Jesus Christ her mission was hard. I had a failed go at it three times, before I finally came up with a working strategy.

I just set up all my units in a double-row phalanx around her, strong physical units on the outside, Wind-equipped Mages, Bow users, and healers on the inside. I didn't move anybody and let all the waves of enemies come up to me.

Yes

Woohoo, Tiki get!

That strategy seems to work against just about anything, really.

Anteo

For tiki I made a box....and most of the enemies went to their death against beasebane panne...It was too easy.

Problem for me was the ranged enemies. What I did is use rescue staff to get her back to the wall, use 3 units to do a small wall and with all the others take out the ranged enemies before they got close to her. Gave me a lot more to play with, and also since my units are not tanky in this playthrough (no grinding) I had to try something else. Also I discovered that this game have frame rate problems with too many units in this stage close to tiki while using 3D

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Problem for me was the ranged enemies. What I did is use rescue staff to get her back to the wall, use 3 units to do a small wall and with all the others take out the ranged enemies before they got close to her. Gave me a lot more to play with, and also since my units are not tanky in this playthrough (no grinding) I had to try something else. Also I discovered that this game have frame rate problems with too many units in this stage close to tiki while using 3D

That's basically what I did, aside from moving her against the wall. Four units surrounding her and most of the enemies attacked them, the rest of my units went around killing the ranged units.

I didn't think it was all that difficult, apart from trying to rush everything back in place since I made the mistake of rushing the boss thinking it might end the level sooner.

Anteo

That's basically what I did, aside from moving her against the wall. Four units surrounding her and most of the enemies attacked them, the rest of my units went around killing the ranged units.

I didn't think it was all that difficult, apart from trying to rush everything back in place since I made the mistake of rushing the boss thinking it might end the level sooner.

The first time I tried Tiki's stage I put a wall 2 tiles away from tiki, so no enemy could touch her. It was easy as I didn't bother to recruit her until I finished the game, this time I could not do that as the enemies got out of control pretty fast due to a lower overal level in my army and I really needed more free units to kill them.

I think Batman's stage is harder, the first time I did that stage I had like 6 flyers on my team, so it was pretty easy, this time though, I had to spam rescue staff on the villagers and abuse the anti-dragon weapons. Lissa almost died there, a Miracle activation followed by a miss saved her. Also I made a mistake near the end and put Morgan in the wrong square so 1 Dragonrider managed to get behind her and killed a villager =/

PBalfredo

Owain's supports and event tile dialog are perfect for naming forged weapons.

rGi0hVh.jpg

fA5wlBQ.jpg

Also, as influenced by a previous GAFer:

mjtKXp3.jpg

CorvoSol

So, are all Fire Emblems supposed to have taken place in the same world, or just 1,2 and this one?

The first two GBA ones take place in a different world from these ones, and the latter GBA one takes place in a world apart from those.

I think there're like what, four, five worlds? Marth's, Roy's, Ike's and Ephraim's?

Anteo

The first two GBA ones take place in a different world from these ones, and the latter GBA one takes place in a world apart from those.

I think there're like what, four, five worlds? Marth's, Roy's, Ike's and Ephraim's?

I think Ike's and Marth's are connected somehow, with panne saying that there are other types of taguel (mentioning cat like taguels), Donnel and Olivia support references Naesala and Leanne (though not by name), Chrom saying he has heard of Elinicia (as a queen in Tellius lore in the DLC, maybe not cannon) and the Priam guy who comes with Ragnell.

Javier

So, are all Fire Emblems supposed to have taken place in the same world, or just 1,2 and this one?
This game certainly seems to show that they're all part of one universe, just different locations and time periods, with this one taking place after all the others.

The FE universes are:

- Akaneia (FE1/3/11/12)
- Valentia (FE2)
- Jugdral (FE4/5)
- Elibe (FE6/7)
- Magvel (FE8)
- Tellius (FE9/10)
- Ylisse and Valm (FE13)

Ylisse and Valm are Akaneia and Valentia thousands of years into the future. No word on how the other worlds connect, although an IntSys dev said back in the day that the Jugdral games took place several centuries before the Akaneian games and in the same continent, but that may have been retconned by now.

This game certainly seems to show that they're all part of one universe, just different locations and time periods, with this one taking place after all the others.

The FE universes are:

- Akaneia (FE1/3/11/12)
- Valentia (FE2)
- Jugdral (FE4/5)
- Elibe (FE6/7)
- Magvel (FE8)
- Tellius (FE9/10)
- Ylisse and Valm (FE13)

Ylisse and Valm are Akaneia and Valentia thousands of years into the future. No word on how the other worlds connect, although an IntSys dev said back in the day that the Jugdral games took place several centuries before the Akaneian games and in the same continent, but that may have been retconned by now.

http://serenesforest.net/general/designer4_2.html
Q: Is there any relationship with the continent of Akaneia from the previous game?

A: Yes. In terms of eras, the era of Genealogy of the Holy War occurs long before the continent of Akaneia. Jugdral was an advanced country, whereas Akaneia barely held any level of civilisation. At this time, the dragon tribes of Akaneia were deciding on how to handle the human race. The Divine Dragon tribe and the Earth Dragon tribe divided into two opposing sides, the same Earth Dragon tribe appearing in Genealogy of the Holy War.

Substitute Akaneia for Ylisse.

There's more in-depth info on the page, but it doesn't make all that much sense if you haven't played Holy War or Thracia.

Solune

Woohoo, Tiki get!

Well if this convinces you, you can get Tiki in a sparkling dress
tikibride.jpg

and

Femorgan.jpg

Superior Green Hair Morgan

PKrockin

It's getting more and more difficult to resist the siren call of this game when I should be doing other things or sleeping. Last time I gave in I played for 5 hours.

Orlandu84

I have been away from console gaming for a while now, but the reviews of Fire Emblem: The Awakening have really interested me. I played a couple of Fire Emblem games back on the GBA (at least I think it was the Game Boy Advance) and loved them. I have one simple question: does this game alone justify buying a 3DS to play it? Thank you in advance for your input :)

Anteo

I have been away from console gaming for a while now, but the reviews of Fire Emblem: The Awakening have really interested me. I played a couple of Fire Emblem games back on the GBA (at least I think it was the Game Boy Advance) and loved them. I have one simple question: does this game alone justify buying a 3DS to play it? Thank you in advance for your input :)

imo one game can't justfy buying a console. But there are so many games on the 3DS that you may find something else too.

Would you have bought a GBA just for the FE games you played on it? If yes then definitely. Awakening has by far the most content of any game in the series so you're sure to get a lot out of it if you like it as much as the GBA games.

Busaiku

I think 3DS is a great purchase, but if you check out the 3DS recommendation stuff and can't really see anything other than Fire Emblem Awakening that catches your eye, than it's probably not for you.

Soulhouf

3DS is on fire right now and you have plenty of excellent games to play, so you can't go wrong with buying one.
If you enjoyed the GBA FE, you will love Awakening because it's much better game IMO.

I don't know why I get so excited to see new SpotPass characters show up in my bonus box.

It's going to be a sad day indeed when they finally run out of stuff to distribute.

Tuck

Man, I love this game. Its my first Fire Emblem game and I'm having a blast.

Just finished Chapter 9
Emerynn
. Great level. Spent like two hours just doing side missions and battles to improve my characters. Upgraded Ricken to a sage.

With that said, I have several characters that sort of just got left behind. Very low level. Like say the archer guy. He just kept dying. So I don't use him anymore, which may or may not be a good idea. Avoided Lissa for a while but spent time getting her up to level 7. She was just so defenseless. Hopefully I can bump her to ten and then upgrade her to the next class advancement.

So yeah, loving this game. I'm a Fire Emblem fan now. Not sure if this beats out Super Mario 3D Land, but it comes close. Better than Kid Icarus I think (though that was quite good too). Much better than Paper Mario, which was decent. I hope I react to Monster Hunter with as much enthusiasm as this game.

Just finished Chapter 9
Emerynn
. Great level. Spent like two hours just doing side missions and battles to improve my characters. Upgraded Ricken to a sage.

With that said, I have several characters that sort of just got left behind. Very low level. Like say the archer guy. He just kept dying. So I don't use him anymore, which may or may not be a good idea. Avoided Lissa for a while but spent time getting her up to level 7. She was just so defenseless. Hopefully I can bump her to ten and then upgrade her to the next class advancement.

So yeah, loving this game. I'm a Fire Emblem fan now. Not sure if this beats out Super Mario 3D Land, but it comes close. Better than Kid Icarus I think (though that was quite good too). Much better than Paper Mario, which was decent. I hope I react to Monster Hunter with as much enthusiasm as this game.

I found EXPonential Growth to be a great investment. Really lets you level up characters you don't use too often. I agree, it's annoying when you don't want to use someone, but the only reason you don't want to use them is their low level, but they're so weak that they can't level up in combat naturally.

Orlandu84

Would you have bought a GBA just for the FE games you played on it? If yes then definitely. Awakening has by far the most content of any game in the series so you're sure to get a lot out of it if you like it as much as the GBA games.

Well, that basically answers my question! Looking back the FE games on my GBA were some of the best times I've had playing strategy games. Accordingly, I would have bought a GBA to play them. Ergo, it would make sense for me to purchase a 3DS to play FE: Awakening.

Thank you, MillionVolts, Soulhouf, Anteo, and Busaiku for your quick replies and helping me figure this out:)

Anteo

Just finished Chapter 9
Emerynn

Haha you are talkin about the 2 best units on my army in my no grind playthrough. Lissa just overlevel everyone by healing, she was a sage level 3 when everyone else was level 9-12.

And Virion is the one unit I know I can sent to the front lines and he will survive. So aweasome

ffdgh

Sage lissa is a must.....so good after grinding her for galeforce first :p

Baby up Virion....someone has to keep those dastard flyers at bay. Oh and bow night over sniper anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom