• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this discussion of art makes me wonder what route they'll go for SMT x Fire Emblem. Is it going to be one unified style? If so, is it going to lean more towards the SMT/Atlus artstyle, or more towards the Fire Emblem artstyle?

I've never played an SMT game so I'm just curious all around how this is going to turn out. Hopefully some news about it comes at E3- even sooner would be unprecedented.

I just rewatched the trailer again and noticed no characters before FE6 appear. Lilina showing up I think gives hope some Japan-only characters will be in it, but I wanted to see some Alm and Celica, or Leif and Nanna in there too!

Tom_Cody

Another related question:

How useful are Taguels? If it is worth investing time in Panne and/or Yarne, what are good class progressions for them?

Thank goodness I chose her for my 1st walkthrough then :)

Only one downside however: it will be hard not to pick her again even if it's just because of me missing how she reacts in that one scene *sigh*

Joining the club. I just saw that scene with non-wife Lucina yesterday and the marriage (and mother) version really is so much better. Kinda makes me wish there was no marriage system and they were just the canon pairing and had more moments like that.

Meier

Picked it up on Friday (after a month of checking in game stores, I finally found a Best Buy in Raleigh that had 5 copies! Had been to three other stores that were sold out before even there) and I've put in about 9 hours or so as I was traveling and had lots of time to play it on flights and at the airport. I thought I'd played the first one that came out here on GBA but in retrospect, I'm not so sure -- I do have the Ambassador version so I may give it a shot down the line. Needless to say, having a great time.. glad I picked Casual. Permanent deaths would be brutal with the way it seems so difficult to recruit new combatants..

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/485059_421319561286480_394901892_n.jpg[img]

Hnnng I love my wife and boy.[/QUOTE]

When/where do additional Beaststones become available? Panne (sp) is lvl 13 for me but I have like 12 attacks left.. (Edit: I see reference to Chapter 23 above so never mind!)

I'm completely unaware about any sort of marriage/offspring system so I guess I have that to look forward to at some point!

Korosenai

Ok, im finally at the endgame level. Sorry if its been asked before, but yes or no, if I beat this level can I keep playing, or is it really over?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
When/where do additional Beaststones become available? Panne (sp) is lvl 13 for me but I have like 12 attacks left.. (Edit: I see reference to Chapter 23 above so never mind!)

I'm completely unaware about any sort of marriage/offspring system so I guess I have that to look forward to at some point!

You can buy regular beaststones and dragonstones from the Chapter 13 shop I think (you get one or two before that though). Then there's a better version of those that you can get later at the chapter 23 shop (I guess that's right, I don't remember exactly which one).

Ok, im finally at the endgame level. Sorry if its been asked before, but yes or no, if I beat this level can I keep playing, or is it really over?

You can keep playing after you beat that.

Tom_Cody

To answer this in a generally non-spoilery manner, marriage/children branch out of the Support System. As characters fight along side other characters they build up support rankings. An S support ranking between characters (who aren't related) results in a marriage and eventually children.

CorvoSol

Ike has the worst new art.

I kinda like Ike's art, even if it doesn't look much like Ike at all.

Am I the only one who dislikes DLC Roy's art? I mean, I love the artstyle when it was used in The Last Story (DLC Roy shares the same artist) but it's so jarring next to the other characters.

DlcRoyKakusei.jpg

Vs.
Roy.jpg

Also he looks too dang old. Roy's only 15 years old. I'm most likely going to use his SpotPass version over his DLC version just because of the art. I don't really care for Dual Attack+, I'm just gonna give him Ignis so it's like he's got the Sword of Seals.

I didn't realize it was by a different artist. I thought it was jarring, and now I see why.

Still, I think Lyn's new art is pretty freaking sweet.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Another related question:

How useful are Taguels? If it is worth investing time in Panne and/or Yarne, what are good class progressions for them?

More or less out-classed by Manaketes in every single way. That being said, Yarne can have some pretty bitching stats with the right father.

Anteo

Depends on how are you playing the game.

Regular campaing? Not really, you have better options early.

No grind playthrough? I think so, the extra damage to mounted units is nice, she evades a lot but will need a high defense pair up anyways.

Tom_Cody

More or less out-classed by Manaketes in every single way. That being said, Yarne can have some pretty bitching stats with the right father.

I haven't used them, but Lancebreaker wouldn't be a bad skill to reduce the threat of beast killers.

Not a lot of great options. Might consider Pass and Quick Burn. For Yarne it depends on who the father is since that will open up more options.

Depends on how are you playing the game.

Regular campaing? Not really, you have better options early.

No grind playthrough? I think so, the extra damage to mounted units is nice, she evades a lot but will need a high defense pair up anyways.
Thanks. I guess I should have just taken the lack on info online about them as evidence that they aren't useful.

Anteo

Thanks. I guess I should have just taken the lack on info online about them as evidence that they aren't useful.

The only reason I used her on my no gridn playthourgh is that she joins early, so you have more time to train her. Nowi joins one or two chapters later so you can use her too, but I thought Panne would be more usefull for a while (plus she got some nice level ups in the chapter she joined).

Anteo

The Taguel's Beastbane ability is pretty useful, especially on the calavery-thick Valm maps.

I think is only +12 damage (since the stone is 6mt) so unless you have a stone+ is not as usefull as the Lance at that stage, it was really good at the begining of the game though.

Cranzor

I just beat it yesterday! Love it. I beat it on normal and casual and I'm thinking of playing it again sometime on normal (maybe hard if I'm feeling crazy) and classic. I had trouble on the settings I played so I think it would be a challenge.

Am I able to load a save file that takes place after I've beaten the game? I saved during the last map and the only options it is giving me to load are the saves I have on that map.

Tom_Cody

The only reason I used her on my no gridn playthourgh is that she joins early, so you have more time to train her. Nowi joins one or two chapters later so you can use her too, but I thought Panne would be more usefull for a while (plus she got some nice level ups in the chapter she joined).

The Taguel's Beastbane ability is pretty useful, especially on the calavery-thick Valm maps.
Thanks guys.

One more question (I have been thinking about this game a lot today). What are the best skills in the game? Are there any ones that clearly stand out?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat it yesterday! Love it. I beat it on normal and casual and I'm thinking of playing it again sometime on normal (maybe hard if I'm feeling crazy) and classic. I had trouble on the settings I played so I think it would be a challenge.

Am I able to load a save file that takes place after I've beaten the game? I saved during the last map and the only options it is giving me to load are the saves I have on that map.

You can exit the map.

And I feel like the difficulty on hard without grinding is just right. Kind of want to try normal just to see it.

Thanks guys.

One more question (I have been thinking about this game a lot today). What are the best skills in the game? Are there any ones that clearly stand out?

Armsthrift, Aether, Rightful King, Galeforce, and Ignis are all really good. And stuff like Astra, Sol, Luna is really good on characters with very high skill since it has a good chance of activating. Then you've got good defensive skills like Pavise and Aegis.

Some others are good in various situations, like Vengeance, Vantage, Lifetaker, and Renewal. The -breaker and -faire skills can be useful. Rally skills are good if you set up a character with several of them activating at once (female avatar or avatar's female child are best for this due to Spectrum+Heart+others).

And throwing in DLC skills, All Stats +2 is worth having during the main game, but you're eventually better off with Limit Breaker which increases all your stat caps by 10.

Meier

It seems like there would be, but can anyone confirm if there is a benefit to waiting to use the item to unlock the sub-classes once my guys have hit level 10? If I do right away, am I missing out on some stat and/or skill-ups? I know I get quite a few upon using it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It seems like there would be, but can anyone confirm if there is a benefit to waiting to use the item to unlock the sub-classes once my guys have hit level 10? If I do right away, am I missing out on some stat and/or skill-ups? I know I get quite a few upon using it.

Characters level up slower if you promote them. If you promote a unit at level 10, the game will assume they are level 21 in their new class. So if you promote all your units early, they'll grow more slowly and you might find yourself having trouble later due to the slower growth.

You can class change (second seal) without as many repercussions. Without getting into how it affects your level, it's fine to do that on base classes since you don't gain any skills after level 10. Note that it will still impact your experience gain, but to a much lesser degree. For promoted classes they gain skills at 5 and 15, and can switch to other promoted classes if you use a second seal above level 10.

You're actually better off hitting any base classes you're interested in with second seals before you use a master seal on the character, since going back to a base class means your stats get reduced. Plus base classes have lower stat caps, so you might end up in a position where you have to level up a character to use a master seal on them, but you can't get any stats up in the process making it a waste of experience.

Anteo

You will be missing the extra 10 level ups (and the stats you'd get from them). Also when you use a Master Seal the game will mark your characters as level 21 so your exp gain will be slower. On the other hand, you will get the master class skill earlier and you can use a second seal to reclass and keep leveling up (getting more stats and skills)

BlackJace

So I'm on Paralogue 2, and I'm trying my hardest to save Anna (don't really care about the village), yet it seems that I'm always one or two turns too late, even with my fastest mounted giving chase (Frederick).

Any advice?:p

mercviper

So I'm on Paralogue 2, and I'm trying my hardest to save Anna (don't really care about the village), yet it seems that I'm always one or two turns too late, even with my fastest mounted giving chase (Frederick).

It's funny because you don't need to care about Anna and the item you get is only from the village. :x

You only need to save Anna in Paralogue 4

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

The village is actually more important since you get nothing for saving Anna there, and the village gives you a useful physic staff.

Assuming you're not on lunatic, it shouldn't be that hard to get a mounted unit or two up there. Kill the two barbarians at the bridge ASAP and run Sully/Stahl/Frederick up there, paired with another unit ideally so you can split them to take out the enemies up there.

I've always been able to lure the archer that comes from the right side to attack the unit I send up (Sully on both playthroughs), and that makes saving Anna a lot easier since the archers are the primary threat unless you get unlucky.

Moonlight

Banned
Rescue Staff is your best friend, I'd say. If you don't have one, I'd say to pair up, say, Chrom and Sumia, and when you get as close as you can with Sumia, swap to Chrom. Otherwise the myriad of Archers gunning for Anna will take a turn to prioritize (and utterly demolish) Sumia. Make sure Lissa is as close as possible as well (but keep her out of range of the enemy, obviously), possibly paired up with Frederick to fluff up her defense stat a bit, and make sure to heal Anna as soon as possible.

It takes a bit of luck, too. Honestly, I never had much trouble keeping Anna alive in both instances, because the RNG was almost always on her side. It's probably what caught my attention, really.

Don't listen to people who tell you that the village is more important. No Anna left behind.

CorvoSol

MORE Questions:

So how much does DLC go for? I mean, I'm not sure if I really should bother getting it if its too expensive, but I could see going down for a character or two.

Is there a way to grind? Like, I mean, in the GBA Fire Emblem (the only one I have played), it's a straight shot to the end, so if you want to level up, either meticulously plan everything, or abuse arenas and sit and end turns ad nauseum to get your supports and EXP. Are there chances to sit and do random battles to level up before I promote and such?

Are there even characters to pair them all off, or will some unlucky chunky axe wielder wind up friendzoned?

BlackJace

It's funny because you don't need to care about Anna and the item you get is only from the village. :x

You only need to save Anna in Paralogue 4

The village is actually more important since you get nothing for saving Anna there, and the village gives you a useful physic staff.

Assuming you're not on lunatic, it shouldn't be that hard to get a mounted unit or two up there. Kill the two barbarians at the bridge ASAP and run Sully/Stahl/Frederick up there, paired with another unit ideally so you can split them to take out the enemies up there.

I've always been able to lure the archer that comes from the right side to attack the unit I send up (Sully on both playthroughs), and that makes saving Anna a lot easier since the archers are the primary threat unless you get unlucky.

Rescue Staff is your best friend, I'd say. If you don't have one, I'd say to pair up, say, Chrom and Sumia, and when you get as close as you can with Sumia, swap to Chrom. Otherwise the myriad of Archers gunning for Anna will take a turn to prioritize (and utterly demolish) Sumia. Make sure Lissa is as close as possible as well (but keep her out of range of the enemy, obviously), possibly paired up with Frederick to fluff up her defense stat a bit, and make sure to heal Anna as soon as possible.

It takes a bit of luck, too. Honestly, I never had much trouble keeping Anna alive in both instances, because the RNG was almost always on her side. It's probably what caught my attention, really.

Don't listen to people who tell you that the village is more important. No Anna left behind.

Okay, a lot of FAQs either say that not saving her doesn't let you recruit her in Para 4 and others say that saving her does nothing but reduce merchant prices or something.

Meier

Are there chances to sit and do random battles to level up before I promote and such?

I have noticed random enemies will pop up at times on areas I've been and I can go fight there again. I haven't bought one, but there is something called a Reeking Coffin I believe that apparently summons Risen as well.. I assume you can use this item to do a random battle but I can't say for sure.

Moonlight

Banned
So how much does DLC go for? I mean, I'm not sure if I really should bother getting it if its too expensive, but I could see going down for a character or two.
Here's a handy table, via Serene's Forest. Price mostly seems to float around $2.50 USD for episodes, with packs mostly coming in $6.00 dollars USD.

Is there a way to grind?
Plenty of ways to grind. In Normal, you can buy Reeking Boxes to summon teams of Risen to the map (scaled depending on what point of the world map you summon them on), you can fight against other player-teams via StreetPass, play DLC maps via the Outrealm Gate, or summon SpotPass teams sourced from older FE games via the Bonus Box. The only real ceiling for grinding in Awakening is weapon durability and how much gold you have. On Normal, this is barely a problem because you're usually guaranteed at least one small sack of Bullion (1000 gold) for each time you fight against Risen summoned via a Reeking Box, and the Boxes cost around 550 gold, but on Hard, they cost 2800 gold and so your only viable option comes from SpotPass or StreetPass teams, who will never give you gold or replacement weapons. The most you get is Renown, which you can trade in once for some Bullion and weapons.

Are there even characters to pair them all off, or will some unlucky chunky axe wielder wind up friendzoned?
In a male Avatar game, you will wind up with one first generation male getting absolutely no one (this is Kellam), and one second generation girl getting no one (this will probably be Kjelle).

EDIT:
Okay, a lot of FAQs either say that not saving her doesn't let you recruit her in Para 4 and others say that saving her does nothing but reduce merchant prices or something.
The guides saying saving her in Paralogue 2 is necessary are wrong. Anna will still be available for Paralogue 4 regardless of its' outcome.

It doesn't make abandoning her in Paralogue 2 right though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I've never not saved her, since saving her and the village go hand in hand (if she dies she won't kill the barbarians, and they will destroy the village). But I believe you can recruit Anna later if you don't save her there. (Different Annas)

Here's a handy table, via Serene's Forest. Price mostly seems to float around $2.50 USD for episodes, with packs mostly coming in $6.00 dollars USD.

And just from those, the ones that are "worth it" are Champions of Yore 3 (good for grinding mid to upper level base class units, plus All Stats +2 is good for the main game), Lost Bloodlines 2 and 3 (Dread Fighter class + Paragon), and Smash Brethren 2 (Bride class). And Rogues and Redeemers 3 will be for Limit Breaker.

Infinite Regalia is probably worth it, but I haven't used it. Maybe Golden Gaffe, but you get plenty of money throughout the game for "normal" use, and I'd imagine with Infinite Regalia you eventually won't need to buy many weapons.

EXPonential Growth isn't really very good, not useful for much other than leveling up units until they can grind CoY3 which is actually faster until you hit a promoted class or multiple reclasses.

Meier

Is there any sort of crafting system in the game? I know sometimes useless items in other games can be turned into something awesome down the line.

In other words, will this Tree Branch ever be useful in any capacity?

Meier

Tree Branch is great for grinding.

What do you mean? For raising sword skill level or for actually killing things (or I guess not killing things)? I'm only on Chapter 10 so I'm not all that concerned with grinding or anything yet.. I guess it's useful because you can just whack away for ages and not actually hurt them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom