• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Random question - if you use an item that raises a stat, like Spirit Dust for +2 Magic for example, do you keep that stat increase even if you change classes?

So you guys know how the Legend of Zelda for the NES is supposed to be sorta a desert wasteland of a kingdom long past its golden age -- with Link to the Past serving as what the Kingdom once was?

I get the same feeling from Awakening, and Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem; but switched around.

I mean, think about it -- if you compare the maps of Ylisse and Archanea you'll notice that the shorelines are receding -- major climate change has gone on that's made the mostly lush environments of Gra and Altea into desert wastelands. The Kingdoms aren't quite so dense -- other than the City of Ylisstol and Plegia Castle, everything on Ylisse seems to just be towns and settlements. Even Valm doesn't seem nearly as populated as it was in the time of Fire Emblem Gaiden.

My theory as to why there seems to not be quite so many towns (other than development complications) is that the world is beginning to decline. It seems that for the most part, Gods have been mostly forgotten -- Mila, Duma and Ashunera decided to leave the world to the humans, Naga's been dead/dormant since even before Shadow Dragon, and the age of the Heroes of Marth, Sigurd and Alm's time has been relegated to myth -- the DLC shows that even Chrom and the Tactician aren't sure how accurate the Jugdrali sagas are, considering its been over 2000 years. So maybe, without divine intervention, the natural world is beginning to decay?

My other theory is that Ylisse is still undergoing reconstruction over the last time Grima was a threat -- about 1000 years previous. Considering his bones are strewn across the former island of Dolhr, he must have caused serious damage.

NeonZ

Wait, you don't? KATARINA YOU'RE OBTAINABLE :D

The final DLC has two paths, with the hardest path unlocked if you can finish the first wave of enemies under a time limit. The hardest path is the one that ends with Anna as the final opponent. However, you can get Katarina by finishing the easiest path. You'll still pretty much need a maxed out team though.

Summer of Bonds, Future of Despair, those kinds of DLCs, are you folks sure we will get it all?

We are getting a second wave of DLC. That was confirmed by some of the game's final previews/reviews. However, I won't be surprised if they cut the 3 bonds maps. They did cut the Avatar's mute voice option just to reduce the script(also, each gender had two choices of personal pronoums/formality in the original game, while here only the voices changes, with no script changes at all compared to other voices of the same gender). It seems like they might want to avoid 200 extra conversations considering those trends.

Just replying to random points.

Nintendo of Europe said we're getting all the DLC that Japan got in their latest Nintendo Direct. I think it's a safe bet that America's getting the same deal.

DLC Katarina can be recruited without fighting Anna. You just need to beat the regular route to get her. Anna's part of the alternate (tougher) route.

So you guys know how the Legend of Zelda for the NES is supposed to be sorta a desert wasteland of a kingdom long past its golden age -- with Link to the Past serving as what the Kingdom once was?

I get the same feeling from Awakening, and Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem; but switched around.

I mean, think about it -- if you compare the maps of Ylisse and Archanea you'll notice that the shorelines are receding -- major climate change has gone on that's made the mostly lush environments of Gra and Altea into desert wastelands. The Kingdoms aren't quite so dense -- other than the City of Ylisstol and Plegia Castle, everything on Ylisse seems to just be towns and settlements. Even Valm doesn't seem nearly as populated as it was in the time of Fire Emblem Gaiden.

My theory as to why there seems to not be quite so many towns (other than development complications) is that the world is beginning to decline. It seems that for the most part, Gods have been mostly forgotten -- Mila, Duma and Ashunera decided to leave the world to the humans, Naga's been dead/dormant since even before Shadow Dragon, and the age of the Heroes of Marth, Sigurd and Alm's time has been relegated to myth -- the DLC shows that even Chrom and the Tactician aren't sure how accurate the Jugdrali sagas are, considering its been over 2000 years. So maybe, without divine intervention, the natural world is beginning to decay?

My other theory is that Ylisse is still undergoing reconstruction over the last time Grima was a threat -- about 1000 years previous. Considering his bones are strewn across the former island of Dolhr, he must have caused serious damage.

I just figured we didn't see any towns because none of the scenes took place in towns. It's not like FE7 or something where half your battles were in a city.

NeonZ

The Kingdoms aren't quite so dense -- other than the City of Ylisstol and Plegia Castle, everything on Ylisse seems to just be towns and settlements. Even Valm doesn't seem nearly as populated as it was in the time of Fire Emblem Gaiden.

The only reason we really saw many cities in Shadow Dragon was due to the exposition before each chapter. In the map battles themselves, often there were things like a "port city" being just a couple of houses near a castle. Awakening completely dumped the narrator exposition/intro about each location, so we're left with only the map. It does seem like Altea, Marth's kingdom, has become a desert, and some islands have merged with the continent, but the desert thing is the only really oddity that might have any importance, IMO.

If the next game is a prequel, I won't be surprised if the ancient kingdoms are still around in the beginning but Altea is completely destroyed right in the beginning of Grimma's war.

Meier

Does anyone have a link to a Youtube video with all the cut scenes or anything like that? I rarely play with sound on so I keep missing some dialogue here and there. Very impressive animation in those bits!

Anteo

I don't know how to use reddit =x

Bow down to the RNG Goddess. Looking forward to The Strongest One's Name.
mEOrLwf.png

Thank god for no Hawkeye+. At least we can abuse the fact that she can only use Lances.

Meier

You can unlock a cutscene viewer at the end of the game.

Youtube link just in case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NpJ_afFukQ

Edit: I meant to edit, sorry for the double post =(

Cool thanks for the info on both points!

I am now up to Chapter 14 and I only have one B relationship between a male and female. Seems a bit slow going getting folks interested in marrying!

One other question: I have some items that say use this to restore 20 HP. Would that wipe out the weapon? Or how exactly do those items work?

Cool thanks for the info on both points!

I am now up to Chapter 14 and I only have one B relationship between a male and female. Seems a bit slow going getting folks interested in marrying!

One other question: I have some items that say use this to restore 20 HP. Would that wipe out the weapon? Or how exactly do those items work?

It should remove one use from the weapon, just like you attacked once with it.

*sigh* Wanting to train characters you just got makes some chapters feel harder than they should be. Now I'm stuck in 13 on hard because Henry keeps getting killed by those berserker reinforcements from behind after I send him to kill stuff =___=

I don't know how to use reddit =x

Bow down to the RNG Goddess. Looking forward to The Strongest One's Name.
mEOrLwf.png

What the hell...

God damn, the only way I'd even dare to approach that is if I somehow had a Sniper with a long bow that had a decent chance of activating Lethality o_0

It goes a lot quicker if you know who you want to hook up. Just fight some of those Risen on the world map and make them inseparable and they'll be hitched in no time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The funny thing is that Anna's stats are in line with all the other "boss units" from that DLC. Some have higher stats than her, I think all of them have some stats over 70.

Those skills are the real killer though. I'd probably bait her into switching to the brave lance with a very solid defensive character + pair up w/ rally. Maybe lancebreaker depending on how well the character in question can dodge in the first place. Once she switches to that, maul her with ranged attacks which she can't retaliate against and won't activate counter.

Her defense and res are kind of crap compared to some enemies on that map, especially the general boss. Dragonskin isn't that big of a deal, you'll deal with Aegis+ and Pavise+ a lot during that chapter (including that general boss), though Dragonskin is a bit tougher since it also works against dual strikes. Still, dealing damage shouldn't be an issue, counter preventing good close range attacks plus her offensive skill combination is the real threat.

*sigh* Wanting to train characters you just got makes some chapters feel harder than they should be. Now I'm stuck in 13 on hard because Henry keeps getting killed by those berserker reinforcements from behind after I send him to kill stuff =___=

I can't imagine training my units without EXPonential Growth. It'd be too much of a pain so I'd just stick with the first units the game gives me for the entirety of the storyline.

tmdorsey

Ok, I need some help/information.

I'm on Chapter 15 or 16. A few chapters previous I decided that I had enough lances in my group so I decided to use a second seal on Sully. I was hoping to be able to change her to an archer since I have no archers in my group, but this wasn't the case. I only had the choice of Wyvern Rider, Myrmidor(sp?) and some other choice. After reading the description of the Myrmidor class, I thought that would be kind of cool, so I changed her to that. But now I can't fucking equip her with any weapon.

The description for this class was "blade expert" and I have tons of swords and random other blades, but yet she can't use them. So my questions are:

1)Why can't she use the swords/blades I have
2)How can I find her a weapon she can use
3)Am I better off just switching her to another class?

She has been useless for a few battles now and it's getting on my nerves.

My Libra (War Monk) just died on Chapter 21 (fuck!)--I'm so close to finishing that I'd rather not restart, so I'm wondering if I can recruit anyone similar soon. He's been extremely useful to me so far.

Ok, I need some help/information.

I'm on Chapter 15 or 16. A few chapters previous I decided that I had enough lances in my group so I decided to use a second seal on Sully. I was hoping to be able to change her to an archer since I have no archers in my group, but this wasn't the case. I only had the choice of Wyvern Rider, Myrmidor(sp?) and some other choice. After reading the description of the Myrmidor class, I thought that would be kind of cool, so I changed her to that. But now I can't fucking equip her with any weapon.

The description for this class was "blade expert" and I have tons of swords and random other blades, but yet she can't use them. So my questions are:

Well if you never had her use a sword or have her used it enough times, her sword weapon rank should still be level E. She's limited to using Bronze weapons til she gets her weapon rank up.

You can buy Bronze Weapons on the world map on the spot just above the Otherworldy Gate.

NeonZ

Each weapon has a weapon ranking. If you class change a character to a class that can use a new type of weapon that they had never wielded before, then their ranking with that weapon always will start from E. You can raise the weapon ranking by making the unit attack with that weapon type.

Anyway, in the case you're mentioning, she only will be able to wield bronze swords, sticks and glass swords (which only have 3 uses) initially. Your best option would be buying a bronze sword (go to the village from the first chapter. They sell those weapons there) and forging it to increase its attack as much as you're allowed to. After that, give the weapon to her and just keep attacking with her. Eventually her weapon ranking will increase and she'll be able to wield stronger swords. With D, she'll be able to wield Iron swords, with C, steel swords and some other special swords. B, Silver swords and more special swords. A, Brave swords and legendary swords.

Well if you never had her use a sword or have her used it enough times, her sword weapon rank should still be level E. She's limited to using Bronze weapons til she gets her weapon rank up.

You can buy Bronze Weapons on the world map on the spot just above the Otherworldy Gate.

Provided that you also have some money to spare, it would also be a great idea to forge these bronze weapons further and up the attack power.

Anteo

My Libra (War Monk) just died on Chapter 21 (fuck!)--I'm so close to finishing that I'd rather not restart, so I'm wondering if I can recruit anyone similar soon. He's been extremely useful to me so far.

Nope. No more recruits after Tiki iirc. Unless you count the child characters but they are level 10 1st tier so I don't think you'll get anywhere with them.

Nope. No more recruits after Tiki iirc. Unless you count the child characters but they are level 10 1st tier so I don't think you'll get anywhere with them.

Well it depends on how much you trained their parents since they can add a nice boost to the children's base stats.

If you trained Maribelle and her husband well enough, you can use Brady and just master seal him right away and make him into a War Monk.

Meier

Okay, Fire Emblem is gonna either make me get a 3DS XL or try and find a cheap aftermarket charger. The battery life on the OG 3DS is the most embarrassing thing in the world.

Cheska

55jvFg2l.jpg

Cross post from the pick up thread. This is....beautiful. Love the shimmering effect, and the overall quality is higher then what I was expecting.

Isn't the soundtrack something like US $40? I wasn't really considering getting it, but if the case is somewhat collectable then I might change my mind. . .

Oh man a little over 3 weeks and we should be finally getting Limit Breaker!

Also all this Lucina with flowers is making me wonder if any of her other support conversations mention flowers like it does in the Lucina x Avatar S support. Implied Canon pairing? :p

GSR

Oh man, the soundtrack's out? Argh, so tempting to import. I'm probably going to wait and get PLvsAA's soundtrack instead though.

Chrom

Isn't the soundtrack something like US $40? I wasn't really considering getting it, but if the case is somewhat collectable then I might change my mind. . .

Yeah, last time I checked it's like $40.

I forgot that it actually came out today. Would love to see more of it.

Soundtrack case is beautiful. Shame the soundtrack itself didn't impress me much. I can't recall a single track from memory and I play the game every night.

tmdorsey

Each weapon has a weapon ranking. If you class change a character to a class that can use a new type of weapon that they had never wielded before, then their ranking with that weapon always will start from E. You can raise the weapon ranking by making the unit attack with that weapon type.

Anyway, in the case you're mentioning, she only will be able to wield bronze swords, sticks and glass swords (which only have 3 uses) initially. Your best option would be buying a bronze sword (go to the village from the first chapter. They sell those weapons there) and forging it to increase its attack as much as you're allowed to. After that, give the weapon to her and just keep attacking with her. Eventually her weapon ranking will increase and she'll be able to wield stronger swords. With D, she'll be able to wield Iron swords, with C, steel swords and some other special swords. B, Silver swords and more special swords. A, Brave swords and legendary swords.

Bah! Ok that makes sense cause all I have in my convoy is iron, steel, and silver swords.

Thanks!

Love this game. I finally stop being lazy and put the 3DS on my network so now to try out some of the DLC content.

Ok, now someone tell me why Grima is even an issue to the FE world when she exists.
Because Anna-Prime (which is what I'm going to call her) is the overlord of an interdimensional gate, and is so powerful that she finds Grima and other dark Gods of the Emblemverse to be no threat whatsoever.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Not too far into the game yet (I think I just finished Chapter 5, whatever mission it is where you pick up Maribelle), but I have a question - I'm playing classic mode, with perma-death, and I know I've read a few places that said you should really concentrate your team and levelling efforts on a core team instead of trying to keep everybody at a certain balanced level. How much of an issue is this if you lose a character late in the game and have to sub in somebody from the bench? Seems like you'd be screwed if you lose a few characters that are in the mid to late teens and have to replace them with a few characters that are at level 3 or 4.

Gestahl

You know the whole worshipping a doom dragon thing worked a lot better in FE4 where the cult just wanted to revive their mustache-twirlingly evil child-murdering and brainwashing empire so they could get those cushy government jobs back

I don't know why anyone would care about whether Grima comes back or not

You know the whole worshipping a doom dragon thing worked a lot better in FE4 where the cult just wanted to revive their mustache-twirlingly evil child-murdering and brainwashing empire so they could get those cushy government jobs back

I don't know why anyone would care about whether Grima comes back or not

Because apocalyptic cults are a real thing. Also it's apparent that Validar's been brainwashing his people
at least Aversa

Not too far into the game yet (I think I just finished Chapter 5, whatever mission it is where you pick up Maribelle), but I have a question - I'm playing classic mode, with perma-death, and I know I've read a few places that said you should really concentrate your team and levelling efforts on a core team instead of trying to keep everybody at a certain balanced level. How much of an issue is this if you lose a character late in the game and have to sub in somebody from the bench? Seems like you'd be screwed if you lose a few characters that are in the mid to late teens and have to replace them with a few characters that are at level 3 or 4.

That's really the opposite of the advice I'd recommend for classic mode, actually. Having a few stand-bys on bench sounds like a good idea to me. Though leveling up seldom-used units becomes a breeze with Exponential Growth. Everyone else here probably knows a lot better than I do.

Gestahl

When people say core team they don't necessarily mean the max you can deploy on a given map or whatever. Without grinding of course, with grinding you can basically do whatever you want and you absolutely do not have to think about the questions you're posing.

But without grinding, it's effectively impossible to have a fully trained full team of 8 or 10 or however many on Lunatic, and you wind up straining yourself trying for it on hard when the midgame shitstorm hits and starts raining Paladins and every other promoted unit on your head. The easiest way to handle any difficulty then is to make 3 or 4 support pairs and focus on one character in each pair and treat the other as a stat pack. The enemy forces never get a chance to catch up that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom